Tatooine

DrSlump

Is it odd to anyone else... but why is Tatooine present in every era of the SW universe? Isn't it suppose to be a backwater planet that no one really cares about? It's been featured so often, it seems to be as important as Arakkis (from Dune) without the spice.

Stepping aside story-logic, it is a well known planet and has a history and thus storywriters include it in many tales. This seems to be the only reason why it is everywhere.

Its a fan favourite and I'm glad its in the game. People will whine about anything :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm not whining. It's just very odd don't you think? It's a very thematic place which is nice.

Unless you consider pointing out the obvious whining... >_>;;

Edited by DrSlump

It's a planet featured heavily in the movies, and has lots of cool stuff that people would want to interact with.

That being said, why do we even have this planet? It's primary industry is trying to get enough water for people to drink. This is a bad planet.

I approve of your username, DrSlump.

That said, I also feel it's kind... of... taking the easy route really, it's supposed to be an unimportant backwater planet but almost every single galactic hero worth mentioning has at the very least passed through there once.

And yes, they do it because it's iconic, but every good artist knows when it's better not to use something, and Tatooine is one of those things that should be used rarely, yeah it's an iconic place, but that doesn't justify overusing it.

I suppose it doesn't help that it's basically an easy to make planet in terms of design, lots of sand, very little props needed, you can map out a Tatooine level in a fraction of the time you'd need to make, say, a Coruscant level in a game.

So yeah, basically it's the quick and easy route towards creating a "Star Warsy" experience.

It is only in the game because its an iconic planet from the movies and it resonates with the non-hardcore star wars fans. Its the same deal with Hoth. Hoth is an utterly pointless addition it serves no purpose except that it is the only "ice planet" featured in the movies.

Its a pretty common sci-fi trap to fall into, you have a galaxy with billions of solar systems, and yet we always play on the same dozen or so because they just happened to be featured in the movies. Its like creativity is rationed out for the sake of recognition.

Granted, but to be fair Hoth hasn't been featured in tons of EU stories, particularly in games, off the top of my head I can only recall Jedi Academy. And I don't count the Rogue Squadron games since those follow the same Battle of Hoth you see in ESB and thus, not expanded universe.

Technically we can't really say it's a backwater planet.

LUKE says it is. LUKE says that Tatooine is a useless, uninteresting rock. And look at his life! Of course he'd say that. He's oblivious to how significant it has been throughout history and all the things that have happened there. It's basically a case of unreliable narrator.