Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why d'you like Darth Marr ? (Chapter 9 spoiler)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why d'you like Darth Marr ? (Chapter 9 spoiler)

Audoucet
11.10.2015 , 10:12 AM | #1
I genuinely ask. I don't see anything likable, in the character. I don't even want to argue, I just want to have a glimmer of understanding. I can't see how you can like him as a Dark Sider, nor as a Light Sider. Has he been a Moff, I would accept the character, but as a Dark Lord of the Sith, I just don't understand. Especially when I see him bromancing Satele, as a ghost, after his death. Why does a Sith, care about the well-being of the galaxy, after his own death... ? Especially when the guy in charge now, is basically a Sith !

Please, help me understand.

Yermog
11.10.2015 , 10:23 AM | #2
I can't say that I "like" him per se, but I do think he's an excellent character and a good leader for the Empire. He shows much more foresight than most Sith do (since most of them appear to be borderline psychotic), and willingly works together with the Jedi to overcome serious threats facing both factions. He is calm, level headed, rational, and is honest with the Republic as long as they are honest with them. He sees beyond the bickering of the Dark Council and demands that his fellow Sith straighten up and work to better the Empire, not just themselves.

In short, I guess I could say I like him in that he is what I think a Sith should be- still a follower of the DS, but not so insane that he can't see what must be done when it needs to be done.

So yeah, would he and a Lightsider get along? Highly doubtful. But he's better than most of the Sith we've been introduced to over the course of the game, and he'd be more likely to be willing to talk if nothing else.

KBSIP
11.10.2015 , 10:31 AM | #3
he adopts and embodies an idealistic interpretation of the Sith Code -

Fundamentally he envisions and works towards an empire built on upwards mobility based on meritocracy and ambition, with the fundamental assumption that each person working to better themselves will better the society as a whole. His philosophy and action is devoid of the usual backbiting of other Sith, living instead by the mantra Might makes Right. This is seen in things like how he handles the Wrath's ascension (conflict between Wrath and Baras, whoever triumphs in combat is clearly correct). That being said he also subverts this ideal when it is in the best interest of the empire (dealing with strong idiots, he is distraught at the damage pointless in-fighting does to the empire).

He is also, uniquely, limited in his ambitions on the dark council. Though clearly the dominant force he declines ascending the emperors seat, whether out of an understanding of his own severe mortality or a desire to not give other council members a more clear target to compete for and against is up to interpretation.

Lastly we see his dedication to fighting in our short personal experience with him in chapter 1. Dedicated to fighting at all costs, he shows defiance even to the point of his death against Valk/Vitiate. Overall he's the sith with the most developed character and dark-side personality that remains accessible to light/neutral characters.

That being said, I find it a shame they couldn't retread Darth Jadus, who philosophically was a much more dark-side oriented leadership figure.

Ardim
11.10.2015 , 10:32 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Yermog View Post
I do think he's an excellent character and a good leader for the Empire. He shows much more foresight than most Soth do (since most of them appear to be boarderline psychotic), and willingly works together with the Jedi to overcome serious threats facing both factions. He is calm, level headed, rational, and is honest with the Republic as long as they are honest with them. He sees beyond the bickering of the Dark Council and demands that his fellow Sith straighten up and work to better the Empire, not just themselves.
Basically this.
Through Passion, We gain Strength!
Darth Chroan The Empire's Wrath
Vengeance for Marr and the Empire!

Canareth
11.10.2015 , 11:28 AM | #5
Before there was Lana Beniko, Marr was the only Sith Lord most players interacted with who was sane and prgamatic. He also plays against type because he's in faceless Juggernaut armor but is thoughtful with a bit of dry humor. That he's aware that he is dying also puts the crazy Sith ambition on ice. He has power over the Empire but has concluded that he should try to make it run as best he can before he succumbs. He doesn't deny that he is succumbing or seek to do anything about that.

He's also something of a bro to the SI and SW, again being the only superior who doesn't mess with them.

That he could work with Satele is plausible.

DAWUSS
11.10.2015 , 11:33 AM | #6
He got along great with my Darth Imperius, primarily because their goals are similar.

kjfett
11.10.2015 , 11:40 AM | #7
I never did. In fact, I found in most cases, my characters did not get along with their leaders on the Empire and Republic sides as they were shortsighted, weak, corrupt and an obstacle on my road to making a better galaxy.

I was glad to see Marr killed off and would be equally glad to see the Chancellor killed off as well as a number of others in the process. That they now have Marr, as a ghost, chil-laxing around a campfire with a Jedi is actually very funny and enjoyable.
Harbinger Server- Wild Legacy
Thornz
< Burning Chaos >

nimmerstil
11.10.2015 , 12:26 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Audoucet View Post
Has he been a Moff, I would accept the character, but as a Dark Lord of the Sith, I just don't understand.
He is the person he is. What blocks your understanding is you holding on to your own view of what a Sith should be like. The easiest solution to your dilemma is to drop the idea that he is Sith, he is just a powerful force-user who is passable as Sith to the rest of the Empire.

lokdron
11.10.2015 , 12:30 PM | #9
The thing is he is the most dogmatic sith in the game all about war and victory and not the petty political conflicts. Think Darth Malgus except the whole betrayal bit and he does not go around murdering other sith for no reason. Now because he was such a hardcore old school sith is the reason why he was killed by big E.

I like to imagine that Marka Ragnos was like marr and Darth Malgus hence why he died of old age instead of being back stabbed like most sith.

Even if my inquisitor respected him greatly he still enjoyed killing him in his dream. *sorry marr*

SerraShar
11.10.2015 , 02:06 PM | #10
Personally...

I wouldn't go far and say I like him. I always found hims very intimidating (especially since all my Sith are body 2 and females are always shorters in this stupid game) .

I'm not big on Lore and stuff (running on lore from games mainly) , but for a sith I found him impressive . He wasn't suffering from paranoia that most sith seem to have . And he was clearly a warrior born for the battelfield . My wrath was a warrior too , and in a way she could understand him and find something in commun with him then say Baras or Thanathon or even Malgus (even if she agreed with Malgus , just not the way he was going about things) .

So while I don't know much about him (beside that he is scary)...he did earn my respect when he stood against Mister must shave on that cutscene . And even felt sad and picked the reply that he brough stability to a world of Sith who acted like a Dark elf society (save for lack of religion or a Loth) .

I did Love how he reacted to my Jedi consular , he was going like she was Holy water and he was a Vampire and she was too close to him

But yeah , sometimes respect is better then Liking . Respect is earned , Liking often come off more like being fanboy . Wich is good..if it doesn't lead to the Dark side aka Zealot behavior lol

So yeah Marr has my respect , liking him is a matter of perspective . I like and Love Satele , I respect Marr .