A ranked elo suggestion box concept, want to know what you guys think.

Seterade

This was my first ranked season. I had a steep learning curve at the start.. no idea what I was doing and maining a sin vs that god awful merc/sniper meta, the number one thing that was a problem was everyone got sooo bent out of shape for the smallest things. God forbid if you lost cause then the proposals to your family and children started....

Later in the season, I had the 248 gear, 246 craft left side was released, I had ranked enough to know what I was doing a little, and every time I lost it would tick me off. It would be over the stupidest mistakes and then because bioware was wanted to push ranked as endgame content, those of us take pvp seriously suffered for those who dont. I think if bioware is going to encourage this as an endgame content directed at all players the elo system as is needs to die.

If Elo was a reputation I wouldnt care if I won or lost, I would know that at the end of the season I would get what I deserved to get and so would they. The rewards arent even worth the stress it puts many of us through. We stressed for nine months about our elo... and look at the rewards. was it worth it? it wasnt to me.

The problem i see is that those that do ranked on mt server do it for the first month get there rating to high then stop quein and wait for next season. Solution Your rating decays over time. Now i'm not talking radical decay where a poor slob takes a two week vacation and comes back to zero but lets say he decay from a 1600 to 1475 as an example. Point is if you want to maintain that high rating you need to continuously que for ranked. Also allow both regs and ranked to que at same time when one pops it cancels the other. Rather ridiculous to sit in a ranked que for two hours with no pop when i could have been queing regs and actually accomplishing something.

This is not a realistic solution in the sense that it has zero chance of ever actually being implemented by bioware, and it's also completely antithetical to what ELO ladders are about (see the hundreds of other games with similar systems). Nobody likes losing, but if it is that difficult for you to tolerate perhaps ranked is just not for you.

It seems to me you would be far better off asking bioware to consider adjusting how hard it is to get the rewards that require you to buy them with tokens if you aren't getting to the tiers where you are granted a ton of them as part of your prize. I sympathize with people in this boat: I don't have a single toon that would be able to buy even a weapon box -much less a mount- purely on games played. But since I have several t1s and t2s I will be able to buy more weapon boxes than I know what to do with. As long as there are some cool rewards that have a hard ELO requirement, I think it would be nice to make some of the other stuff more realistically grindable to encourage participation and enjoyment of ranked.

I dont actually want the rewards. I did this season for the crystals, an I will have a set for all 16 of my toons

this solution wasnt really for me, I just think it would be better for the future.

Edit: this proposed idea was not make the rewards easy to get, I didnt even comment on what the price should be. this was a solution for the lack of queue pops, the toxicity, the rage at rewards, the stress so many people go through trying to be leet.

this was mostly brought on by 2 things primarily. 1) bioware made ranked entrance stupid easy. 25 valor. thats like 10 games. which in turn has created an influx of pvers who dont know what their doing but want the rewards. ungeared, underskilled players. and 2)in 5.4 (S9) their launching 100 UC as the weekly reward....... the numbers are only going to continue to shift.

Edited by Seterade

The problem i see is that those that do ranked on mt server do it for the first month get there rating to high then stop quein and wait for next season. Solution Your rating decays over time. Now i'm not talking radical decay where a poor slob takes a two week vacation and comes back to zero but lets say he decay from a 1600 to 1475 as an example. Point is if you want to maintain that high rating you need to continuously que for ranked. Also allow both regs and ranked to que at same time when one pops it cancels the other. Rather ridiculous to sit in a ranked que for two hours with no pop when i could have been queing regs and actually accomplishing something.

This is how the vanilla rank system worked in WoW.

It was generally considered to be horrible.

I kind of like the idea. A lot of people, like Doc said, get to t1 then pretty much stop playing ranked. It makes people play in ranked more than just the first few weeks to get the rewards. Too many players stop doing ranked or stop playing the game all together once they get T1. Making the system to where you had to grind games to get rewards would help the ranked population. my opinion only. I enjoy ranked

I kind of like the idea. A lot of people, like Doc said, get to t1 then pretty much stop playing ranked. It makes people play in ranked more than just the first few weeks to get the rewards. Too many players stop doing ranked or stop playing the game all together once they get T1. Making the system to where you had to grind games to get rewards would help the ranked population. my opinion only. I enjoy ranked

It's possible it could help bring more activity to group ranked..maybe?

If people have to play ranked consistently to keep their elo up, they might not want to mess with solo Q because of all the problems it invites and group may seem like a safer option to them. just a thought.

Wasn't that the system that gave you the Corporal / Sgt / General titles?

That's the one. To get above a certain rank became a guild level effort, in some cases 3-4 players would all play the same toon because there was no way one person could compete at the top 2-3 ranks.:eek:

Personally, I think they should just change the pug rating system so if you keep getting lumped with people less skilled, afkers or trolls, it doesn't affect your rating.

The only way I can see that working is if it doesn't take points away for losing. Points are awarded for winning and zero points for losing. They can reduce the number of points awarded for winning so that there isn't this massive balloon affect.

They could also add another weekly that gives points based on your win - loss ratio. The higher the win ratio, the more points awarded. If losses out number wins there are no points awarded. This weekly would be completely seperate to the other weeklies and only there to award rating points.

The idea could be taken even further and make a daily version as well.

The weekly could also be broken down so that the amount of games played fall into brackets. 20 games, 30 games, etc... each bracket gets a percentage increase on how many points you get.

ie,

20 matches completed +1% extra rating to the win-loss rewards

30 matches completed +2% extra rating to the win-loss rewards

40 matches completed +4% extra rating to the win-loss rewards

(Note : all the numbers I've used in this post are an example and pulled out of thin air)

Edited by Icykill_

It's possible it could help bring more activity to group ranked..maybe?

If people have to play ranked consistently to keep their elo up, they might not want to mess with solo Q because of all the problems it invites and group may seem like a safer option to them. just a thought.

Thank the Maker for players like Bob.