Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

Been gone awhile (pc broke and lost net...) just got back and I wanted to thank everyone who kept this post alive for so long. Anyway as i said i just got my net back and while ive skimmed through a good portion of the posts in this thread i havent had too long to browse yet, so has there been any word from the devs, other than super secret project, about the development of the space aspect of TOR?

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not going to lie.

I LOVE the rail shooter, -sometimes-

It's a neat fun little mini game, granted it could be a bit ....more. Bosses, groups, pvp, MORE OBSTACLE TO NOT RUN INTO.

That being said it is jut that, a mini game. There should be a whole other space aspect to this game, this is STAR WARS, I want to fly my ship around freely, I want to run into random space encounters on my way to other planets. I WANT THE DEATH STAR TO LOCK ME IN A TRACTOR BEAM! Then I'd have to board it and disable it to free my ship!

So much could be done, SO much. I would love to see a full fledged 3d expansion to this game, but do NOT take away the rail shooter, its fun sometimes.

I see a few old faces from the Beta convo. Too bad Raven isn't playing the game. Would love him to weigh in on this one.

For me, the following needs to happen, short term, middle, long term.

Short term

- Less flying ships handed to your reticle. More ships flying all over the screen, all directions, battling one another.

- More freedom of movement in the pipe. Widen the movement area, allow for slower turns by more pronounced effect...guide the ships though the tube, do not anchor them to the rail.

- let me see wreckage of destroyed ships, fighters, etc as I fly by.

- Allow more speed control...let me slow down or speed up the pace as I progress.

- MAKE FLIGHT XP AND LEVEL DIFFERENT FROM CURRENT LEVEL. Set it up so you level your flying and fighting skill separately from your current real game level.

Middle term

- Allow my friends to fly with me in the tube in their own ships.

- Equip my ship with turrets, allow my friends to come on board my ship and man them to shoot down enemy fighters. Also allow my friends to repair my ship during the mission.

Long term

- Add a persistent BF2 style space battleground with personal starship PVP, fighters we can fly, and the ability to land on enemy ships, fight on foot and disable or destroy capital ship systems as objectives. Have both a constant battle PVP area and a PVE objective area with free flight. Allow group play.

Edited by LordArtemis

I completely agreed with this thread when it was made and still completely agree now.

And apparently a 3D space combat aspect is getting looked into...but who knows if that will ever come to be. By now I think BW notices that a nice amount of people want / wanted (for those that left and space combat was something they were really looking forward to) and it has potential.

Hell I still remember right before official launch that we were getting customization skins for our ships....then it was pulled last second.

I am not going to lie.

I LOVE the rail shooter, -sometimes-

It's a neat fun little mini game, granted it could be a bit ....more. Bosses, groups, pvp, MORE OBSTACLE TO NOT RUN INTO.

That being said it is jut that, a mini game. There should be a whole other space aspect to this game, this is STAR WARS, I want to fly my ship around freely, I want to run into random space encounters on my way to other planets. I WANT THE DEATH STAR TO LOCK ME IN A TRACTOR BEAM! Then I'd have to board it and disable it to free my ship!

So much could be done, SO much. I would love to see a full fledged 3d expansion to this game, but do NOT take away the rail shooter, its fun sometimes.

This is the thing.

If it is going to be Star Fox then it needs to be the very best version of Star Fox it could be, and you're right it isn't (it is a very decent version of Star Fox, but it doesn't have all the features of Star Fox 1993 never mind later versions).

As SW Star Fox I don't think any missions should be over 5 mins long, already some of the missions are getting far too long, too dull and too repetative. Star Fox style action should be short and punchy.

The inside missions (which they are making) are also much more suited to a Star Fox style game (the orginal Star Fox 1993 had inside bits), but again they should be no longer than 5 mins.

Star Fox missions should be short and intense, action, action, action, because that is the whole point of scripted on-the-rails space combat.

This is not a decent version of Star Fox.

- Star Fox had boss fights.

- Star Fox had diverging paths which changed not only the current level, but affected your future campaign.

- Star Fox had bonus objectives which affected the outcome of the level.

- Star Fox had companions which could get into trouble.

- Star Fox had both tank and submarine missions, in addition to space flight.

** And most importantly... **

- Star Fox had THREE DIMENSIONAL combat.

- Star Fox had a multiplayer versus mode (yet a "massive multiplayer online" version of the game doesn't?)

It's an insult to the creators of Star Fox (which was created almost 20 years ago!) to call the SW:ToR rail shooter a "decent version" of Star Fox.

-Macheath.

This is not a decent version of Star Fox.

- Star Fox had boss fights.

- Star Fox had diverging paths which changed not only the current level, but affected your future campaign.

- Star Fox had bonus objectives which affected the outcome of the level.

- Star Fox had companions which could get into trouble.

- Star Fox had both tank and submarine missions, in addition to space flight.

** And most importantly... **

- Star Fox had THREE DIMENSIONAL combat.

- Star Fox had a multiplayer versus mode (yet a "massive multiplayer online" version of the game doesn't?)

It's an insult to the creators of Star Fox (which was created almost 20 years ago!) to call the SW:ToR rail shooter a "decent version" of Star Fox.

-Macheath.

hmm I hope the new space missions will be at least a really cool version of Star Fox with alternate routes and a boss fight

It'd be great if they made space combat more relevant and exiting. I understand we won't see new Tie Figter or Wing Commander within TOR but new Roque Squadron, perhaps, even, please? ty? One of the nine thousand reasons I hate consoles is what they did to Joystics. Since pad is vastly superior way of controlling anytthing in literally all genres but (space)flight sims, very few buy, manufacture or want ye olde Joystick anymore. Which in turn means games planned with one in mind are highly uncommon. Not to mention mini games within an mmo:p

Personally idea of playing a railshooter arcade with mouse was about as exiting and rewarding as I thought it would be. ( spoiler, not very)

Just my 0.2 credits.

Edited by Stradlin

that would be perfect for a warzone type game

I would agree. I would go further to suggest that both PVE and PVP sections could be set up...and the PVP side should be a persistent battlefield IMO with a constant battle.

As I have mentioned before, the ability to use your starship and carry players to man your turrets and jump out to fight on foot on enemy capital ships, or man turrets and defend on foot on friendly capital ships. Also the ability to jump into and pilot fighters, fight other players or attack capital ships.

Basically everything that BF2 offered.

Not to cause a problem by mentioning another MMO here but Star Trek Online's space combat is the one thing that is significantly better then this game. Personally, I would like it if you could buy different ships and eventually work your way up to Star Destroyers in a 3 axis space combat. I also LOVE Republic hammerhead class cruisers too and I was so excited when they were shown on the artwork for this game... so why can we not fly them. Adding space combat PvP with your guild where you fight another guild using fighters, frigates, interceptors, battleships etc?

they should take BF2's space missions. you start on a republic/empire ship then you get in your ship(you had lots of choices in BF2 but it would be better for it to be your ship in this) or a friends ship. Then you have to take out all the turrets force fields, bridge command engines ect on the enemy destroyer.

You can do this inside and outside so you drop say 4 people off inside the ship then fly out and start killing everything.

First team to destroy the enemys ship wins

you could also do it pve aspect in the same way just with ai enemys instead of real

hmm I hope the new space missions will be at least a really cool version of Star Fox with alternate routes and a boss fight

Yeah, that shouldn't have been beyond the reach of a SF "mini-game", and would have helped with replayability too.

Not to cause a problem by mentioning another MMO here but Star Trek Online's space combat is the one thing that is significantly better then this game. Personally, I would like it if you could buy different ships and eventually work your way up to Star Destroyers in a 3 axis space combat. I also LOVE Republic hammerhead class cruisers too and I was so excited when they were shown on the artwork for this game... so why can we not fly them. Adding space combat PvP with your guild where you fight another guild using fighters, frigates, interceptors, battleships etc?

STO is "naval" style fighting, which fits with the brand. Star Wars has "fighters" and a much faster pace that Star Trek.

Damn I wish they´d announce this "SSSP" already, what keeps them from doing this? :(

Only ONE cockpit screenshot please

What keeps them from announcing it, or showing you a screen shot, is that what you 'want', has NEVER been suggested as being developed. Your hopes are built upon player speculation, not statements from Bioware.

What keeps them from announcing it, or showing you a screen shot, is that what you 'want', has NEVER been suggested as being developed. Your hopes are built upon player speculation, not statements from Bioware.

BS, they hinted several times they are working on something "revolutionary" regarding a new space implementation, what else can it be than a fully fledged space sim, Star Citizen style?

do you expect a flying microwave? railershooter PvP?

OF COURSE it´s a space sim. :rolleyes:

BS, they hinted several times they are working on something "revolutionary" regarding a new space implementation, what else can it be than a fully fledged space sim, Star Citizen style?

do you expect a flying microwave? railershooter PvP?

OF COURSE it´s a space sim. :rolleyes:

I hope you're right. But until I hear them actually DEFINE what they're working on, I will urge you to seriously throttle back your expectations. This is one of those situations where a player is hyping something Bioware has never even alluded to. PLEASE...keep your dreams realistic. Hope for the "sim", but expect little more than a tweak to what we currently have...like maybe a turret for your buddy to shoot from.

I hope you're right. But until I hear them actually DEFINE what they're working on, I will urge you to seriously throttle back your expectations. This is one of those situations where a player is hyping something Bioware has never even alluded to. PLEASE...keep your dreams realistic. Hope for the "sim", but expect little more than a tweak to what we currently have...like maybe a turret for your buddy to shoot from.

This is your best post ever TUXs.

I want it to be Jump to Lightspeed/Xwing style combat. I want that more than anything else they could ever do to this game. But that's me reading a vague statement and hoping that it means what I want it to mean. If I am disappointed in whatever this turns out to be that's on me for convincing myself that they are working on exactly what I envisioned.

Can't hold them responsible for my own over hyped expectations.

Well, they better deliver on the expectations for once.

You know what Chris Roberts is doing with some crowdfundend millions? Why should I expect anything less from a giant company with hundreds of employees? Tone the hype down and hope for a space turret on my ship for co-op rail missions?

Really, I expect to be blown away by some JTL 2 experience, otherwise I simply won´t play it.