Maybe free to play is a good thing

nysis

Personally $15 bucks a month is starting to feel like alot of money for a game which implements changes so slowly.

I was thinking maybe $15 for two months would be more reasonable.

Far more likely though is the prospect of free to play. I like to think those who already spent their $60+subs will get full access and those who never paid would have to buy unlocks. I feel as customers who already bought the game we would save money. Bioware would also benefit, gaining more money from the free to play system.

The only negative is that the games development would probably take a nose dive, but things are happening so slowly, it feels like it already has.

Thoughts?

Edited by nysis

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free to Play works, if it's done correctly. There are several people out there who will attest to LOTRO's model or GW1 or GW2's model as successful F2P models. Free to Play, personally, only becomes a problem when you can buy in-game advantages over those who choose not to, colliquially known as Pay 2 Win. I personally, like a mix of the two models. You can continue to pay a regular subscription and you get everything normally (content updates etc.) or you can go completely free and just pay to unlock the things you want. The negative stigma attached to F2P generally falls back to the games that follow the Pay 2 Win model. (Though some people believe a game that starts P2P and then going F2P is a sign of failure. I guess Everquest and Everquest II are failures according to that logic.)

Personally $15 bucks a month is starting to feel like alot of money for a game which implements changes so slowly.

Far more likely though is the prospect of free to play. I like to think those who already spent their $60+subs will get full access and those who never paid would have to buy unlocks. I feel as customers who already bought the game we would save money. Bioware would also benefit, gaining more money from the free to play system.

The only negative is that the games development would probably take a nose dive, but things are happening so slowly, it feels like it already has.

Thoughts?

" 15$ bucks feels like too much" ....really?? REALLY?!?! 50 FRIGGIN CENTS A DAY IS TOO MUCH?!?!?! give me a friggin break.........

if you wanna advocate F2p fine, but dont come here acting like 50 cents a day entitles you to monthly content releases like this was zynga poker or something like that....geez....50 cents a day....remember arcades? no even back then you could play 6 hours in one day with just two quarters so stop bishing about something that for practical purposes is non existent (daily cost)

Edited by LaVolpex

" 15$ bucks feels like too much" ....really?? REALLY?!?! 50 FRIGGIN CENTS A DAY IS TOO MUCH?!?!?! give me a friggin break.........

if you wanna advocate F2p fine, but dont come here acting like 50 cents a day entitles you to monthly content releases like this was zynga poker or something like that....geez....50 cents a day....remember arcades? no even back then you could play 6 hours in one day with just two quarters so stop bishing about something that for practical purposes is non existent (daily cost)

You would'nt think a straw can break a camel's back ether. :p

Considering GW2 is not out yet, how exactly can you call that a successful F2P model?

Same model GW has and it "has" been successful. ArenaNet made enough profits off it to make GW2 and felt the model was still healthy to continue with it with GW2. :cool:

If you trust EA to give you a F2P model and not P2W or anything else NOT F2P.. then, perhaps, you deserve it.

I`m sure you`ll be the first coming and complaining that 20 bucks for +50% XP boost is too much and unfair to the "freemiums".. but it will be a bit too late.

Edited by Styxx

Considering GW2 is not out yet, how exactly can you call that a successful F2P model?

Since GW1 is out and GW2 is its sequel and made by the same company, it's a logical conclusion to draw. If the model they use is drastically different from its predecessor then I'll recant my statement.

Valk-Thank you. You beat me to it.

Edited by Xiahoufig

Honestly, you're crying about 50 cents a day? That doesn't even pay for a cup of espresso around here anymore. I'd rather pay monthly and have a chance to get everything that a game can provide plus sustained development of more content than play a game which is P2W. Worst case scenario, a mixed model where you can pay the sub fee and get everything and f2p with cash shop for unlockables for the ones not wanting to pay the monthly fee.

I don't understand why you people are trying to turn the game F2P. First it was the trolls on Facebook, now it's trolls on here.

reported for spam

The problem is people not wanting to pay for anything anymore. P2W can easily become more expensive for players on the long term but people refuses to accept it because, at the beginning, people think that they'll be able to enjoy everything which most of the times is false.

The problem is people not wanting to pay for anything anymore. P2W can easily become more expensive for players on the long term but people refuses to accept it because, at the beginning, people think that they'll be able to enjoy everything which most of the times is false.

Umm..not allways. Sence LOTRO has gone FTP, I have not spent a dime on anything in the game. Has saved me a lot. And I do play it once and a while. Sure, some can spend a lot in them, but atleast it lets the player choose how much and when they want to spend thier money on the game.

This game is actually bringing on changes quite quickly compared to a lot of other MMO's. So that leads me to, what other MMO's have you played besides this one?

It's actually pretty surprising how many mmo noobs play this game. FYI to all of them, there have been dozens of games like this before. You have to frame your comments/thoughts with regards to them if you want to make sense with the rest ofus.

Thoughts?

That won't happen. We'll get slightly more access than the free players, and a lot less than ongoing subscribers.

Plus I'd rather not have the millions of 12 year olds funneling in if it goes f2p.

Edited by SithVeritas

Okay, 50 cents a day we pay, minus the weekly maintenance(4 to 6 hours) and unscheduled maintenance downtimes (2 to 6 hours) which could range anywhere from 2 to 3 days out of each week as of lately. Add those hours up and that can total around 2 to 3 days out of the month. Thats a couple of dollars wasted right there. And then factor in those days you just can't play for reasons such as going out of town, have to work overtime, power blackout, got arrested, or you're just not in the mood to play at all. So basically that's an additional $2 to $5 out of your monthly $15 subscription gone to waste... Now times that by 12 months, it then it really adds up. And of course times all that by howmany subscibers BW has, they're gettting a buttload of free money from us.

We should NOT be charged for days or hours for that matter of "downtime" be it maintenance or your house blew up..

Edited by Darth-Piranha

Okay, 50 cents a day we pay, minus the weekly maintenance(4 to 6 hours) and unscheduled maintenance downtimes (2 to 6 hours) which could range anywhere from 2 to 3 days out of each week as of lately. Add those hours up and that can total around 2 to 3 days out of the month. Thats a couple of dollars wasted right there. And then factor in those days you just can't play for reasons such as going out of town, have to work overtime, power blackout, got arrested, or you're just not in the mood to play at all. So basically that's an additional $2 to $5 out of your monthly $15 subscription gone to waste... Really, we should NOT be charged for days or hours for that matter of "downtime" be it maintenance or your house blew up..

I believe most sub-based games take into consideration maintenance in their fees, which is why they're $14.99 a month as opposed to say $19.99 a month. Unexpected maintenances are a different matter.

I do not agree that you should be creditied for issues outside of BW's control, primarily because nothing else in the real world works that way. If your T.V. is stolen you still have to pay your cable bill (unless you cancel), you drop your cellphone in the toilet still need to pay that bill (and a new phone to boot since most insurances don't cover water damage), someone steals your credit card you still need to pay that bill, car breaks down you still have to pay for the insurance while it's in the shop (depending on the laws in your state. PA requires insurance on vehicles at all times.)...

SWTOR isn't going F2P any time soon. When that quote was taken out of context, they mean free until level 15, a trial account. Most major MMO's do this.

And of course the people behind the business would consider all models, that is their job. But I doubt they've given up on SWTOR this quickly. From how it's playing now, i think it's an excellent game, worthy of 15 dollars a month. At least for me.

I believe most sub-based games take into consideration maintenance in their fees, which is why they're $14.99 a month as opposed to say $19.99 a month. Unexpected maintenances are a different matter.

I do not agree that you should be creditied for issues outside of BW's control, primarily because nothing else in the real world works that way. If your T.V. is stolen you still have to pay your cable bill (unless you cancel), you drop your cellphone in the toilet still need to pay that bill (and a new phone to boot since most insurances don't cover water damage), someone steals your credit card you still need to pay that bill, car breaks down you still have to pay for the insurance while it's in the shop (depending on the laws in your state. PA requires insurance on vehicles at all times.)...

In other words We should just continue allowing ourselves to get ripped off - gotcha .

After all its only $15 A month, who cares if we're only getting about $4 or $5 dollars of actual playtime out of it. ;)

Because thats how me make the real world spin ^^

gw2 is not really free to play, it is buy and play, (yes you don't have to pay after that), you buy the box you get the whole game to play, you use the store for fluff items if the company holds true to it's word.

Free to play, really is named wrong it should be called pay as you go, yes you get to download the game for free you get to play though a small area for free, but if you want to expand beyond what they offer free you pay, thus the pay as you go. As far as i know there are no free to play games made by an american developer that is pay to win thats just a load of bantha poodo, asian games on the other hand yes.

Lotro, DDO, two game that are making more money now then when they launched due to the hybrid f2p model they use.

There are a ton of free to play style games world wide, I was amazed out how many game are out there, browser based games, they are free to play as well, and if you ever go over to Bigpoint's site and look at the amount of games and how many people are online at that time will blow you away. The Clone Wars from Sony that's an expensive free to play game if you don't watch you wallet, it's a kids game, I guess those kiddies are working over mon and dad to buy them some points...:)

I read somwhere free to play games only need like 3 to 5% of the total player base to buy things once in awhile, take a silly game like maple story at one time it had 72 million users registered, one in every three houses in Korea had a maple story account, if 3 to 5% of those folks were buying thats a huge cash flow. I know allot of these game no one here could careless about, but it's a business fact, the sub based mmo is a dying breed soon to go the way of the dino. The big bang for free to play will be when wow makes the switch,and they will, the blizz suits have already stated that as soon as f2p is more profitable than subs they will switch.

Good thing bad thing depends on what side of the fence your on, for me if it is a game that I want to play I don't care what the pay model is, I know at some point our choices on how we pay will be very limited.

If Tor goes free to play, will not suprise me, I kinda expect it to, I will have to wait an see..:)

Edited by kevlarto

Concretely

What would free to play bring me as player?

How would free to play enhance my gaming experience?

I am willing to have an open mind, but in my little understanding of MMO games, new PVE and PVP content are financed by the subscription. No subcription, no new (free) content.

Unless player are forced (coerced) some way to spend an equivalent amount of money. But who would such a model benefit me.

In other words We should just continue allowing ourselves to get ripped off - gotcha .

After all its only $15 A month, who cares if we're only getting about $4 or $5 dollars of actual playtime out of it. ;)

Because thats how me make the real world spin ^^

I look at it this way.

I would end up paying $15+ to go to the movies for ~2 hours.

I pay $15 here, and get over 40 hours of gametime a month (and that's not even 2 hours a day).

I think I get my $15 worth of entertainment.