melee and blaster pistol users thrown under the bus?

MerkSauce

What is shortsighted is expecting every single player to have a bunch of alts, or expect them to level one even if they are not interested. A lot of people like to stick with their mains and are not interested in playing other classes, they like to focus and devote time on the class they like.

So what really is the downside to have rewards appealing to every class? Nothing, apart from developer lazyness.

This game is an alt driven game.... and ALWAYS has been.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And saying that Bowcasters, that are BOUND TO LEGACY are not for everyone is accurate? Is there some stipulation on your account that won't allow you to create an advance class that can use these items?

Saying a bind to legacy item is not for every one is short-sighted at best. See what I did there?

But I already have the character I want to play. I've been rolling new characters and leveling them up for 15 years now across a myriad of games ... after about year 11 or 12 or so, I started getting more and more annoyed at leveling and re-leveling that grind in every new game, that for the last several years, when my guild has moved games, I will level up one character that I enjoy, focus on that guy, and I really, truly, and UTTERLY DESPISE at this point leveling up an alt - especially when it's doing the exact same quests, in the exact same content. .... and then here comes EA with a great idea to STRONGLY ENCOURAGE folks to roll and play alts - because they sure as hell don't have enough compelling new content for mains.

Frankly, I don't even really want to level up a main - but at least with a new game it's all new stuff the first time through, and that's a little better, so I can do one. Once I get max level, I've got no interest in tons of alts.

It sucked that this event doesn't give me anything worthwhile for any of my characters - and frankly that's more than a little disheartening, but oh well. Several folks in my guild haven't quit yet, and I've only cancelled one of my accounts so far, so I'm still on the fence for more I guess. I think these days the biggest thing keeping my guild on SWToR is we can't all agree on anywhere else to go.

The mods say "we know all their events are unique, right?" ... Uh sure, I guess, both of them have been. I think it's kind of cheesy to have events so infrequently and only provide an item useable by 1 advanced class, maybe 2 if you're Empire.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, it's what I've come to expect from Bioware / EA on this game. I guess it's what a million or so other folks have come to expect over the last year too :(

Edited by Alexi_son

The fact that my Shadow Tank will, some time in the future, be able to have a sweet purple lightsaber makes the bowcasters pure win.

Wait.. the Bowcaster has a purple colored crystal (I told you guys I never pay attention)? And people are STILL complaining that they didn't get anything for them with this event??

Wait.. the Bowcaster has a purple colored crystal (I told you guys I never pay attention)? And people are STILL complaining that they didn't get anything for them with this event??

No, it doesn't. That being said, it's the first legacy item that you can place crystals into. Let the Imp to Pub crystal smuggling begin!

Hi folks,

I wanted to take a bit of time to explain the reasoning behind the weapon selection on the vendor. As you know, each SWTOR event that we do is unique and this also applies to the variety of items offered. That is, if you don’t find anything that you think is useful during this event, you may find a different assortment of items in the next one. Your feedback is definitely appreciated and we’ll look into different ways to improve our item selection in the future.

Thanks for participating!

So what restriction will it be next time? Double-bladed and offhand sabers only? Pistols after that? Then mainhand sabers? Then shields? Then foci? Then assault cannons? Then back to rifles?

Generalise much? I and a few other posters in this thread who are grown ups do not feel "slapped in the face" by the fact I dont have a class specific reward as part of this event. Talk about special little snowflake syndrome.

As long as each class gets their turn with weapon rewards available through the live events then you have nothing to complain about. All you are really sayign here if we are is honest is "some people have things that I can have/use and that is not acceptable to me because I should be included/most important in all decisions".....well thats just life.

My point is can you not just enjoy the content? Why does it matter if Ops get a weapon in this event and BHs get a weapon in the next event for example? Just take part in both and enjoy them for what they are....I would be happy without any rewards, just the title would be enough....

Just because someone gets somehting ahead of you does not make it a fail anything...it just means you need to wait your turn and be patient....my 12 year old understands this!?!?!?!

Driz

And when will these events occur? Every 6 weeks like the latest projection? Or more realistically every 3-4 months?

So what if your spec couldn't even get the title but others could? At least you had fun in the clicking boxes race of 2012?

Hi folks,

I wanted to blow this thread up into even more of a flame war, by telling you what we decided was a good idea, even though it pretty much alienates 1/4 of the classes :)

Basically, were thinking that were going to make each event have different weapons and items for different classes, so if, god forbid. You miss ONE of the events thats tailored to your class, Your screwed! And have to wait another couple years...

Thanks for participating! We sure did enjoy the LOLZ of seeing you realise you dont get anything decent for the shear grind fest, and don't forget the shear LOLZ of you pitting against each other for 3 days straight! Completely ruining the idea of a community event :D

There. I shaved away the Normal CS Responce and showed what you really meant. :)

Hope i helped

I myself am going to go cry in a corner for a bit, because i actually have a life, and knowing my luck,ill miss the only event with any Knight, Inquisitor, or Scoundrel items.

Complete Let Down.

Im ashamed of you Bioware. You've officially managed to get a loyal customer who never deserted the game, who never posted anything in the way of an argument to any bioware points, to completely, and utterly, Lose faith

Edited by Selenial

Then why bother making the cannons? So they won't fight with vanguards over gear drops?

They lose DPS. That guy was wrong. However healing commandos can use them fine, and they tend to get targetted in pvp less if they arent using a canon ;)

WOW doesn't even allow you to send items across server. And Bind to Legacy means that EVERYONE can use these items. Maybe not on any character they want to, but they most certainly can get the items and either send them to an alts that can use them, or put them up for future alts.

And again, the color crystals where aimed at lightsaber users. To say otherwise is just being naive. No rifle/pistol user cared.

The fact is, Bioware put a unique/iconic set of weapons on the vendor for this event and then made those items bind to legacy so that everyone could use them on some of their characters. If they'd have made them bind on pickup, I'd understand the complaining. As is, you guys are just being babies. Big surprise there...... this game seems to have attracted almost nothing but entitled babies.

So it's ok for smugglers and bounty hunters to get shafted in both events? Don't worry folks, your event might get here before f2p opens-if not for the low price of xxx cartel coins you can participate and maybe get something for your characters!

No, it doesn't. That being said, it's the first legacy item that you can place crystals into. Let the Imp to Pub crystal smuggling begin!

It's amazing how many people don't realize that you can use these items to transfer BARRELS and CRYSTALS to the opposite faction now. If you're leveling alts (like this game is designed for you to do) you should be extremely happy and start pimping your fresh 50 alt out with your geared 50 toon's left overs. It might cost you 55k'ish per full move (removing the barrel from one, placing in BoA weapon, Removing barrel when it's on opposite faction, but still. Saves you the burden from having to pug and pray on that new toon, right?

Just to add to the people saying wait for the next event - This quote is taken from a Darth Hater chat with Gabe Amatangelo, you can read the full interview here.

Next one, very recent, yesterday The Grand Acquisition Race came online. Anything you can tell about world events? Are they coming more often or, just every few months, every year?

Our long-term plan is to get the world events to be really frequent, and we’re going to continue to add them to the game. In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet. We’re targeting that for, January is when we’d like to see it, but we’ll see when it happens, you can’t hold me to that! I know how everyone does, and then I’m going to have the Executive Producer on me saying “you said a date!” and it’s like “no, no” but that is our target, because that’s when we’d like to have it because of the spirit of, and just sort of laughing at what happened.

So if people are to wait for the next event they're looking at roughly 5 months, almost half a year, just to find out if they're lucky enough to be one of the few who can claim rewards, or possibly to find out that they got unlucky again. Note that the wait between this event and the following one is 1/2 months increase, does that mean that the people who don't get lucky during that event will have to wait 6/7 months longer for the follow up event, building up to a years wait from this event just to get the equivalent to what others have got now?

So it's ok for smugglers and bounty hunters to get shafted in both events? Don't worry folks, your event might get here before f2p opens-if not for the low price of xxx cartel coins you can participate and maybe get something for your characters!

Smugglers and BHs can't use the mods from the bowcasters? Also, BHs and Smugglers can't create alts?

You just proved the person point that you quoted. Good job. :)

**Newsflash** those barrels that are in the legacy weapons can be... gasp... used by bh's and smugglers!

Smugglers and BHs can't use the mods from the bowcasters? Also, BHs and Smugglers can't create alts?

So I get to pay through the nose for the privilege of extracting mods from an otherwise worthless weapon OR I can grind through 90% of the same content again for an alt I don't care about just to use a bowcaster that frankly would look ridiculous on a body type 1 agent?

As someone else said-why not just sell the mods instead of being forced to pay to extract them?

They lose DPS. That guy was wrong. However healing commandos can use them fine, and they tend to get targetted in pvp less if they arent using a canon ;)

Did some checking and it does indeed appear that I was wrong regarding Commando DPS'ers, so I stand corrected :)

That makes it even worse that the weapons are appealing to such a niche of the player base (Imperial Agents being the least played class by far for instance).

The dumb mistake being that BW did not give YOU the rewards that YOU want dring THIS live event because they are staggering them over SEVERAL live events meaning YOU will get your turn...but others have THEIR turn BEFORE YOU?

Thats the real problem you have it seems...if that is enough to drive players away as you state, well then they would have quit over the next little thing anyway...

Driz

You completely missed the point.

You see.. those are Bind to Legacy weapons.

Past the actual stat specifics, what those guns allow you do is this : move barrels (which you previously couldn`t) between alts and crystals. Mods and enhancements and armorings you can move already by use of Legacy Armor.

What this event enabled players to do was this: add means to move EVERYTHING between alts, EXCEPT hilts.

So, no.. the big uproar isn`t about a lame gun, or that it is blaster rifle or sniper and who can use them. There are enough designs for each class as they are already. It is about the fact that effective now, people can move barrels among alts, but not hilts, discriminating players that do want to move said hilts until next event, which might come tomorrow or in 4 months. I am sorry.. but 4 months is too much.

You just proved the person point that you quoted. Good job. :)

**Newsflash** those barrels that are in the legacy weapons can be... gasp... used by bh's and smugglers!

**Newsflash** doesnt help my merc who has the...gasp... campaign weapons

i do plan to lvl a sniper, have been planning to just for the 4th buff. have a bowcaster waiting for him but imo it doesnt look good on anything but twi'lek, so ive decided to finish my assassin first and unlock that race. but still when i do get around to lvling that sniper they will have to wait till lvl 34, and then lvl 50 to use the weapons/barrels.

yes its totaly my choice to wait and lvl a different toon first, but regardless a person without that class or the people without any interest in playing those classes would have to wait till lvl 34 and 50 to get any use out of them. and i could be wrong but isnt the columi barrel better than these ones and cost about 5 times less to extract?

edit: and they dont help my juggernaut send hilts to his marauder son.

Edited by GooseGrims

Hi folks,

I wanted to take a bit of time to explain the reasoning behind the weapon selection on the vendor. As you know, each SWTOR event that we do is unique and this also applies to the variety of items offered. That is, if you don’t find anything that you think is useful during this event, you may find a different assortment of items in the next one. Your feedback is definitely appreciated and we’ll look into different ways to improve our item selection in the future.

Thanks for participating!

I don't QQ often, but I feel I must respond to this in the hopes that it will improve future events.

You created an event that provides rewards to only a small minority of your advanced classes. The problem with this is that it doesn't create an incentive to participate, unless you actually enjoy the event. Its a matter of taste and I don't intend to speak for everyone, but many people are not enjoying this one. I, for one, am sitting this one out. I enjoyed the Rakgoul event but the quests for this one bore me. (for those who DO enjoy this one, more power to you. have fun.)

The questions you need to ask yourself are "Is our developement time best spent creating a one-shot event that few people will want to participate in?". "Is it good policy to develop events that many people will feel (rightly or wrongly) deliberately excluded from?".

If you are planning on releasing a new event every 3 weeks or so then maybe the answer is yes. Otherwise, you need to be more inclusive in your events.

The only true value of the Bowcasters is the fact that they are a legacy weapon. Aside from that fact, they are ugly as sin.

We barrel users dont get to show off our cool color crystals. Anyone useing a good rotation wont get to see blaster colors more then once or twice every 20 seconds, while in combat. We see jedi lightsabers ALL the time.

Someone come and give the babies their raddles. They are being awfully noisy.

Edited by Spatology