Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I was really miffed about this decision. The more I think on it though, the more it is making some kind of sense to me. It seems like there are two types of world quests, one where you have a primary npc who gives you quest after course as you make your way through the planet, and another where at the completion of each mission you get handed off to the next general in line at the next outpost. I've always preferred the first way of doing things, as it gives more time to develop the character, and you can have your character develop a "relationship" with that npc. (I fondly remember my Sith Sorceror having a heated rivalry on Taris with Thana Vesh throughout the course of the missions, which eventually turned into grudging respect for each other). If this is how they are doing the SGRs, I guess it makes sense because they developed a different character for each side to be the primary quest giver. There really wouldn't be any other way to do it, it would be super silly to be able to choose the gender of who your quest giver is. Maybe they will switch it around if they decide to do more quests in the future.

I will say that this just highlights the NEED to make SGRs available to companion romances all the more, so developers need to get cracking on that! :p

I want to confirm that what Dulfy stated is correct. I do want to assure you though that with any future SGRA releases it will be our goal to keep things more balanced across faction and gender.

-eric

*cough* I'm sorry, what?

I get that it can be difficult to find a way to implement SGR [Flirt]s that feel like they're part of the story and not just feel like inclusiveness for inclusiveness' sake, but it, at the very best, appears lazy.

This has been in development for how long? SGRs had been promised before launch, and you make it so that not all player characters can even have the option when it finally was included?

Is that what you call good writing?

*takes a breath* Now that I've got that out of my system, I'll try to be more level headed. I'm glad SGRs (even if not SGRAs) were added. I am. It just leaves me... underwhelmed. Severely underwhelmed, because of all the uptalk it was given.

In response to "how else would you have done it (and make it work)?" I can't say. There are countless different directions they could have gone to make it satisfactory. Two "main" quest-givers perhaps for each faction's questline. Or maybe split them up between a main quest-line and a bonus quest-line. Or a quest-giver and a plot-relevant NPC. They could have done a lot of cool things with it. Of course, this is said having not played the expansion myself.

My two cents. Happy it's in, but disappointed in how it was implemented.

I guess I've decided to wait until AFTER I've actually played the story and seen how it's implemented before flying off the handle. Strange, huh?

If the implementation tells a good story, then they've done a good job. If the implementation tells a poor story, then they deserve complaints.

Isn't that the reason to include it? To tell a good story?

I want to confirm that what Dulfy stated is correct. I do want to assure you though that with any future SGRA releases it will be our goal to keep things more balanced across faction and gender.

-eric

Seriously? I'm fairly sure it's not malicious, but damn is that kind of oversight stupid.

Edit to placate the text in yellow: So, constructive criticism here - When dealing with situations like this where a long-standing lack has existed in the game, a lack that is well-documented and clearly there, WHY in the name of little baby chipmunks would you not address it in a balanced way? It's ridiculous and you guys really REALLY need to use your brains.

Edited by iamthehoyden

Hi there!

As this is a pretty sensitive topic, it is often easy to get a tad heated in your discussions. That said, you may have noticed we have removed some posts from this thread, and would like to gently remind you all of the rules:

• No insults, name calling, or personal attacks
  • Please stay on topic.
  • Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.
  • If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.
  • Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're intentionally being disruptive.

Thanks!

Edited by CommunityDroidEN

Ok, that done, I'm popping in to say I'm disappointed.

So my smuggler guy shall have a flirt, but the romance is on the other side?

I think my highest Imp is 3. :rolleyes:

Not sure what to do with that info, other than wanting them to make good with further story adds, including companion romance.

I'm off to holiday for a week, wishing you guys a Happy Easter anyway. :(

I'm off to holiday for a week, wishing you guys a Happy Easter anyway. :(

Have fun, Easter_San. I'd suggest staying away from the forums for a while if you want to have a happy holiday.

While many people are asking for further clarification on this, I somehow highly doubt it's going to happen :/

Have fun, Easter_San. I'd suggest staying away from the forums for a while if you want to have a happy holiday.

While many people are asking for further clarification on this, I somehow highly doubt it's going to happen :/

*Hugs Tataile* We tried our best. I just wish it had been enough.

I'm... simultaneously disappointed and relieved over the recent news.

Disappointed about that there aren't at least two full romance options for either faction. Disappointed that BioWare has intentionally kept such vital information from us, just like they previously did with the information about it not being companion romances, and before that with what content the romances were going to be released to begin with.

But I'm also relieved that the choices I've made with my characters so far have paid off. My female Bounty Hunter has already had her romance with Torian, my female Inquisitor has started her romance with Andronikos, my male Smuggler has his two romances to choose from, and the female Trooper I'm currently playing with friends/family... is staying single and has already expressed disinterest in the attention she has received from men.

I have followed this thread, and tried to stay out of posting in it. I am a huge supporter of the LGBT community. I have followed this thread since the last iteration. I know bioware has said SGRA is coming "soon" like they have said about many things. To be totally honest you are not helping your cause and at the risk of a warning I will say you are acting like Queens.

This is a game. The level of your complaint is basicly as relevant as the "premades are ruining regular wzs" thread in the pvp forums. Bioware has promised us smart matchmaking and proper elo ranked warzones at least as long if not longer than SGRA.

Again I support your cause in general, but some of the drama in this thread is over the top.

It's cool and all, the makeb thing, just hard to imagine how much I'll care about some random npc that I'll only know for 5 levels, if that.

Still not sure why it would be so hard to just make current companions gender blind. It's not like there'd be many instances where the dialogue would have to be changed, they're usually alone with you, talking only to you. Minimal amount of work and you make most people happy. :confused:

Hi Larry Everett with Massively here. I am not completely defending the implementation of SGRs with the expansion, but I can tell you that there are [flirt] options for female characters with female NPCs on the Imperial side. Remember that there is more to this expansion than Makeb. I do not recall if those flirt options bare more fruit, but I do specifically remember them being in there.

It's possible that dialogue slipped Musco's mind because the did not happen on Makeb.

Hi Larry Everett with Massively here. I am not completely defending the implementation of SGRs with the expansion, but I can tell you that there are [flirt] options for female characters with female NPCs on the Imperial side. Remember that there is more to this expansion than Makeb. I do not recall if those flirt options bare more fruit, but I do specifically remember them being in there.

It's possible that dialogue slipped Musco's mind because the did not happen on Makeb.

??? is this in the expansion or now? and if it happens on planets other than Makeb, let me know, so i can hold off my agent/trooper leveling (Both are female)

Is it disappointing to me that both genders aren't catered to on both sides? Yea. Does it seem short sighted of BioWare? Yea.

But frankly, not having played Makeb, I need something answered for me before I over react to this news. Are there opposite gender flirts for the excluded gender on each side? In other words, if Republic only has a female SGR option, is there a male option that is strictly OGR, or is there only one option regardless of gender and she happens to be a woman?

If not, all of this makes complete sense to me. The sense I get from this is that BioWare has decided to kill gender restrictions all together on all new content going forward. In other words, all characters with flirt options will be Hero-Sexual.

Frankly, I'm ecstatic about that. I know a lot of people don't feel that is a realistic representation of sexuality, but I don't care about that as much as I care about the freedom to play the game how I want and romance who I like. Since this isn't real life where there are 7 billion people with which you could find love, I think it's more important that all the love interests be available to everyone.

So how that applies is that it sounds to me that you have a primary contact on Makeb. This would be a character that you interact with throughout the entire story. Because they are the ones you work with throughout the story, they are the ones that make sense to flirt with and work towards having a relationship of some sort. It might be that it just so happens that your contact for Imperials is male and for Republic is female.

I'm sure Makeb will be fun with lots to do, but it's still only 5 levels of content. I wouldn't be surprised if outside your main contact, there just aren't any flirts on Makeb. After all, aside from that consistent contact, you probably don't interact with anyone else long enough to build up any kind of relationship. Anything else they added would be a throwaway flirt line that goes nowhere, which would be fine, but hardly satisfying.

If I'm right, and you have the option to flirt with all the same characters regardless of player character gender, then I'm totally fine with it. In fact, I'm really happy if this is the way they decided to go. I don't want them to throw in token SGRs just to make us happy, I just want them to make the romances in the game gender neutral.

Now, I'm not saying it's unreasonable to wish that BioWare had made a romance for each gender on each faction. Not at all. It seems like an oversight that they didn't at least add another multi-part quest where we can develop a relationship with another character of the gender opposite that of our contact. But that doesn't strike me as an SGR oversight, it strikes me as a general oversight.

If I'm right and we have the same exact options as OGR people do on Makeb (meaning certain OGR gender/faction combos are also being left out in the cold,) then I don't see any SGR specific complaints to be made. Certainly, there would be a complaint to be had that more romances should be available in general on Makeb, but to paint it as discrimination or a slap in the face to our specific issue would be short sighted.

If I'm right, then they have responded to our requests exactly how I would have hoped with this new content, they just came up lackluster on romance options in general. They still need to go back and make the original game equal in the same way, but so far so good on the new content. In the future, they just need to be better at providing more options for romances in general.

So to sum up, can anyone with experience with the expansion please confirm or deny my understanding of the situation? Specifically, are the flirt options the same regardless of gender, or are there OGR options that aren't available as SGRs?

If not, all of this makes complete sense to me. The sense I get from this is that BioWare has decided to kill gender restrictions all together on all new content going forward. In other words, all characters with flirt options will be Hero-Sexual.

To be honest I'm all for herosexuality because it makes the most sense in terms of efficiency and inclusion but I think the statement made at the Guild Summit last March will still apply. I don't think they want to do that. While I know staffing has changed (to say the least) I doubt the basic premise behind that statement (the arguable belief that herosexuality isn't good writing) will still hold firm.

If we could just get the writers to actually talk to us about it then we wouldn't be so in the dark about a feature they said they intended to be in at launch.

Hi, Slaign. When I played the new content in beta, the primary Pub-side romance was for a female SGR. I didn't get flirt options when I played through some of the same content as a male character, with the Imp-side being primarily geared for a male SGR. Again, as Larry from Massively has stated, there are other SGR options (both on and off Makeb), but these are secondary to the main Makeb planetary quest line.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Hi, Slaign. When I played the new content in beta, the primary Pub-side romance was for a female SGR. I didn't get flirt options when I played through some of the same content as a male character, with the Imp-side being primarily geared for a male SGR. Again, as Larry from Massively has stated, there are other SGR options (both on and off Makeb), but these are secondary to the main Makeb planetary quest line.

But are there opposite-gender romances and how many?

Romance... romances... sorry for the redundancy,

Edited by Tatile

at least my Zabrak Trooper chick can finally express her sexuality in the expansion.

Ok, just to clarify here, the female NPC that females PCs on the Republic side can flirt with, cannot be flirted with by Republic male PCs? You're sure of this?

If that's the case, are there NO OGR options on Makeb?

I really want the full story on this before I make up my mind. I want to know exactly what romance options are available to what characters, both OGR and SGR.

Edited by Slaign