Terror From Beyond =/= Tier 3

According to this post from Allyson Berryman on the Dev Tracker, the new gear from Terror From Beyond, will NOT be tier 3. Instead, it will be a sub-tier of Tier 2 gear.

I talked to David Hunt (Systems Designer), and he shed some light upcoming gear. He said that (for PvE), Terror from Beyond's Hard Mode will include a new set of gear that is a sub-tier of the larger tier that started with Campaign gear. It will also have non-slot restricted armornings. Nightmare Explosive Conflict will speed up the acquisition of the new set and provides new challenges for Operation groups.

As part of a progression raiding guild, this worries me and makes me wonder when we might be seeing a new tier, new set bonuses, and new visuals (Tier 2 is quite unpleasant). Some time in December or in 2013? Joveth or Allyson, could we get a Dev response as to when we might possibly see a real Tier 3 set of gear?

I will venture a guess that this is the new sub-tier (rating 150) we will be seeing in TFB:

http://www.torhead.com/item/3Z246hX/denova-defenders-body-armor

Please dont flame, im just a worried guild+raid leader that wants to keep his group of raiders together. Something that some of you will understand, continues to be increasingly hard when content comes at a slow pace.

Edited by Sasturm

I will venture a guess that this is the new sub-tier (rating 150) we will be seeing in TFB:

http://www.torhead.com/item/3Z246hX/denova-defenders-body-armor

Please dont flame, im just a worried guild+raid leader that wants to keep his group of raiders together. Something that some of you will understand, continues to be increasingly hard when content comes at a slow pace.

That looks like a gear upgrade to me. What is the problem?

its basically a partial tier again with a miniscule increase.

tio (51)

colu (56)

raka (58)

BH/camp (61)

Denova (63) - this is the new sub tier at least seems like that increase will feel relative to the increase u got between columi and rakata.

Hazmat (65) with that info ill assume this is our t3 then way down the road

DId someone say there was a problem? I asked when we might see Tier 3. Stop trolling.

Pipe down there slugger. When you said...

As part of a progression raiding guild, this worries me

I figured that you had a problem. I have never been worried about something unless there was a problem.

That's just me though I guess.

Okay, so story mode TFB will drop campaign and NiM EC when we get it will drop the same as HM TFB?

Majority of people are all 61 already, since BH comms raining from the sky makes gearing up extremley easy. Hopefully SM will be scaled for a group in more then rakata, or you probably will be able to ignore most mechanics and push through it like SM EC was with a grp fully rakata.

I cant see why it worries you. If it's what everyone believes it to be, it will be just like upgrading from Columi to Rakata. Same looks but a small increase in stats.

Okay yeah I hate the looks of most of the T2 gear too, but with customizable gear I no longer really care ^^

As for when we would get an official Tier-3? I would imagine it would be the Ops AFTER the Ops that follows TfB. As if Campaign gear is the Tionese of Tier 2 dropping from HM EC, then I can see the Columi of T2 dropping from Terror and the Rakata of T2 dropping from the Op after that.

The gear fetishists have spoken. The news is actually very good news. I dont want a new tier until 2013. This arms race mst die.

It is extremely easy to gear up with 61, especially if you have multiple toons that are raid ready and you're willing to spend the money to transfer the mods through BoL gear. I have 1 toon that is fully bis, a 2nd that missing a few mods (only come from camp legs), a 3rd and 4th that need hilts/barrels. Also one of the toons only been 50 for two weeks now.

I think there is always a problem when creating too much of a difference between levels of gear. I too have 5 characters that are (with exception of barrel/hilt) all but complete with 26 mods. But still, 27's would be a slight improvement.

What happens is there will be a large gap between 26's and 27's if they decide to introduce 27's as 65's. This will either totally eliminate BH geared toons from the next level of content, or make it too easy for a progression based guild such as yours.

So, the only question left to ask is, Do you really know what you want?

I think there is always a problem when creating too much of a difference between levels of gear. I too have 5 characters that are (with exception of barrel/hilt) all but complete with 26 mods. But still, 27's would be a slight improvement.

What happens is there will be a large gap between 26's and 27's if they decide to introduce 27's as 65's. This will either totally eliminate BH geared toons from the next level of content, or make it too easy for a progression based guild such as yours.

So, the only question left to ask is, Do you really know what you want?

I know this post wasn't aimed at me but.....

I'M GETTING NEW CONTENT and maybe some upgrades :D

I'm not sure I understood her use of "sub tier"

To me "sub" means "below". But I think taking the message as a whole she meant "equal"

A sub tier would be a subsection of something else - a part of it, rather than a separate thing. Ergo a sub tier is a part of a single tier.

Tionese - 1.1

Columi - 1.2

Rakata - 1.3

Campaign/Black Hole - 2.1

[NiM EC and HM TFB] - 2.2

[NiM TFB] - 2.3

Yeah, looks like we're going to get 3.1 in late Dec 2012 or early Jan 2013.

I'd have to say that unless there's significantly more challenging content in the pipeline, I'm happy with the gear I have and would rather see more looks become available than I would more powerful upgrades.

Because of the gear I have today, I faceroll thru the bulk of today's pve content (besides HM EC) and unless there's more challenging content coming soon, equipping more firepower really won't accomplish anything besides nullifying mechanics and make EV/KP and all the HM FP's even less exciting (if not obsolete).