Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Spec and Gear for Solo Play

sharpfangjr
11.25.2017 , 03:55 PM | #1
What is the suggested spec and gear combination for solo play that's focused on PvE with possible rare PvP attempts?

Tank spec with dps gear?
Dps spec with tank gear?
Something else?

Doominology
11.25.2017 , 06:07 PM | #2
Solo PvE is a joke as any class/spec. Just put your companion on heals and win. DPS is probably your best bet if you want to kill things quicker. PvP on jugg, most would suggest immortal spec with dps gear. In regs, the DPS specs are ok, but ranked you will be focused first so you need all the survivability you can get.

Cuiwe
11.26.2017 , 04:24 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by sharpfangjr View Post
What is the suggested spec and gear combination for solo play that's focused on PvE with possible rare PvP attempts?

Tank spec with dps gear?
Dps spec with tank gear?
Something else?
Regardless whether you use the healer companion, this is what I recommend:

Tank with dps AMEs: YES. Solo is mostly about AoE situations with some single target situations here and there. Defense / Immortality has just enough Single Target and AoE's nothing short of beautiful.
DPS with tank AMEs: Imo, no. You don't get anything really, but you could go for high HP Mods. Otherwise, don't go for tank Enhancements.

Now for DPS disciplines:

Vigilance / Vengeance: This is what I'd recommend second after Defense / Immo. You get what you need rather quick(by 30 or so iirc), it's a very interesting Discipline to play. Some sort of hybrid DoT / Direct Damage discipline anyhow.

Focus / Rage: While it IS one of my FAVORITE Disciplines to use(both gameplay and fluff wise), this is simply beyond H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E. for leveling. Your full rotation is reached at like level 68(lol) and your incomplete rotation is simply not as satisfying as it could be. Very choppy and unsatisfactory. But once you get the full rotation! OH BOY! <3 <3 <3

In short:

dps Tank > Vigi / Veng > Tank > Focus / Rage
(for leveling)
Versatile Armoring / Hilts etc
High HP Modifications( <number> B I think)
Adept Enhancements(imo)
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

sharpfangjr
11.27.2017 , 08:39 AM | #4
Thanks for the advice.

Eli_Porter
11.27.2017 , 08:49 AM | #5
Seconded for Defense with DPS gear.

Great for PvP and great for PvE, can probably handle most Master Chapters without resorting to heroic moment every boss.

sharpfangjr
11.27.2017 , 03:57 PM | #6
Now all I have to do is learn how to play the spec. :/

Cuiwe
11.28.2017 , 02:42 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by sharpfangjr View Post
Now all I have to do is learn how to play the spec. :/
Why it's very easy!

1. Jump in
2. Use Warding Strike
3. Use Guardian Slash
4. Use Force Sweep

For single target: FL -> WS -> GS -> Blade Storm -> Master Strike -> etc

In short: HOME RUN! everything!
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

KendraP
11.28.2017 , 03:10 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Cuiwe View Post
Why it's very easy!

1. Jump in
2. Use Warding Strike
3. Use Guardian Slash
4. Use Force Sweep

For single target: FL -> WS -> GS -> Blade Storm -> Master Strike -> etc

In short: HOME RUN! everything!
I realize we're talking solo play here so it really doesn't matter. But as a tank main, I tend to leap and guardian slash (if already buffed) or sweep (if GS is not buffed) because warding strike has relatively low threat (and in aoe is single target). For single target you definately want to delay the first warding strike to he used in a taunt window.

Again solo play it really doesn't matter. Heck I've started going vigi for solo play just to kill stuff faster.

sharpfangjr
12.01.2017 , 09:16 AM | #9
Thanks again, folks. I figured it would be a good idea to learn the class just in case I decide to stay with defense through endgame PvE.

sharpfangjr
12.01.2017 , 11:19 AM | #10
I just thought of another question. Which stats should I focus on while leveling/soloing?