Noob seeking guidence

DarthNoor

Hi, This is my fist time playing a MMO type game, and in this game I am a sith marauder.

Could anyone give me some tips, tactics or stratigies on how to be an effective part of the group. so I don't mess up in Heroics or flashpoints.

What does a DPS class do in a group fight?

I messed up in on a heroic because I was still playing this game as a consul gamer not like an MMO gamer.

Thank you in advanced for the help.

Try Classes -> Sith Warrior forum. There is even a Maurader sub-forum. They will help you learn your class much better.

But you learn by playing. By the time you get to your first flashpoint you should be around L10 and hopefully learned the handful of skills you have getting there. The rest is learning how to play with other people and you only get that experience trying it.

If you get with a good group, they wont mind it you being inexperienced so be sure to ask for pointer, make sure you know who the tank is and listen to them.

DPS is the main damage dealer in groups. The only tip I can give (not being a DPS player), would be to wait a few seconds for the Tank to build enough aggro to hold the enemies attention. If you start attacking right away you will pull the enemy away from the Tank making him/her chase it around.

The "DPS role" is something of a catchall role for everything that isn't tanking or healing. Tanking and healing are easy - The tank is responsible for getting the attention of enemy creatures, and keeping all their damage on her. She typically has abilities that let her avoid or reduce damage coming in, and a large amount of health. She typically does not do a lot of damage. The healer is responsible for replenishing those pools of health when they start going down. One thing for every other person in the group to consider is that if the tank takes all the damage, the healer only has to click on the tank and heal him... and it makes it really easy to keep him up (except in situations where X amount of damage is applied to all targets within range, distributed among them... in which case the tank usually can't handle all of it).

So the primary role of DPS is actually NOT to do damage... until they're sure that the tank has everything under control. DPS also needs to be able to stop doing damage if they get aggro, and use aggro-reduction skills if they have them. DPS needs to be able to mitigate some damage if they do get aggro, or if they're asked to get aggro on something (e.g., in the flashpoint I was in the other day where turrets would pop up somewhat randomly and I had to take down the flashing target and the two turrets near it, and the tank couldn't possibly have gotten over there that quickly). DPS further needs to be able to help the tank out by stopping certain things (breaking inductions, controlling new monsters, etc).