Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Veterans punished.. again?

LordMilitus
10.02.2015 , 05:30 AM | #1
Hey there,

I realize this may be the wrong section, so by all means, move it..
Why is it that over time with updates, it's always the veterans and roleplayers that get punished?

Previously it was when Makeb came free, people who paid for it got screwed over by getting some really crappy rewards for having purchased it before.

Now, with the new updates coming up.. I don't even understand where you get it all, is your purpose to scare off all roleplayers and just welcome new people instead?

I'll say some things /are/ good, like the legendary is a nice touch to people who have finished it all, for example. Sharing keybinds is extremely usefull, things like that.. Now for the things that bother me, and a lot of others I have spoken to (primarily roleplayers).

- Crafting: People who spend /A LOT/ of money on unlocking blue or purple grade crafting materials are now just tossed aside by automatically making things start off as blue, while I understand why it is is done, it is again a slap to the face of people who mastered crafting on multiple characters. They spend a lot of effort, time, and credits on even getting to the blue grade with reverse engineering.

-Datacrons: While I again, understand, why it is being done, it punishes people who have hunted datacrons on multiple characters, who spend their time (and some datacrons require a LOT of time) to gather them all, again there is no reward for these people, not even a pat on the back for all the time they have spend on doing this.

- Speeder Piloting: Again, same principle, people had to run around and - in turn - use more time getting around, new players won't have the same experience and are in fact spoiled compared to old players in this.

- Exploring quests: This is the same principle as the speeder one, veteran players in the old days had to do a lot of quests to be able to go on, while the 12x xp ruined that purpose (and I don't mind it, personally, but I gotta stick to my argument) it seems to waste content, as most people will not even do those quests now.

Level-Sync: Something all of my roleplay friends seem to be in a fuzz about. Doing this means we cannot go to random, gorgeous spots in the open world to roleplay, as we'll be assaulted and have to fight for our lives against mobs, when all we want to do is roleplay. I understand there are logistical reasons this has to be done, reusing old planets etc, but there are many RP guilds based on areas that are NOT safe. It'll force people to stay to safe spots and practically punish us if we want to make use of the entire game with all it's pretty spots.

Other than the above, the previous update of the skill tree's was awful, it simplified it all as many updates seem to do, while complicated things aren't always bad. I understand for balance reasons it's easier this way, but nonetheless it makes things over-simplified.

Many other updates /are/ nice, and in fact I love that you FINALLY work on the engine that has been broken for so long, but why is it roleplayers and veterans are so thoroughly punished? Atleast give the people who have been here this long something for it, something meaningful. Pre-ordering meant nothing either, as everybody can get those items now if they pay a little more money. Nothing seems to be sacred, veteran players who stuck around deserve a little something.

Thalianis
10.02.2015 , 05:39 AM | #2
I do agree that level synch was a horrible idea and i'm sure many others will do too. There are ways to make it better. To make it optional or enabling only around heroic areas. Anything is better than just throwing everyone down on the whole planet.

As for anything else, the speeder piloting change might not be necessary either.

Xychosis
10.03.2015 , 05:59 AM | #3
I mainly have a problem with the level sync feature. I would personally prefer a Mentoring system like the one RIFT, and WildStar, has. I feel like it would be a better idea to encourage people to use the system by incentivizing it via rewards, rather than forcing them to be synced down for a planet.

MasterOfTrollz
10.03.2015 , 07:47 AM | #4
The mentor system seems like a better idea to me aswell.

since I'm still a newbie to this game, I can't really say much about it, but one thing for sure, I can't really put a finger on it but to me the crew skill system felt broken, I think it might be better with the next update, but as mentioned it punishes people who spend time and money on it, same with datacron.

then the speeder thing has to be fixed, stop spoiling newbies, I myself only started using one at lvl 40+ although I'm a sub and I can get one at lvl 15, it's just something about running around early game. I think there could be an easy fix for it, if you really want to make it available so early, just crank up the prices for speeders, so that only people who already done it, and want to quickly create a new char can make use of it, and maybe drop down the prices again after a certain lvl cap? or make the lvl 1 speederpiloting unlock a legacy unlock, would solve it in my opinion, I'm not to sure if this is all possible to do that from a devs point of view, but certainly something I would like to see implemented

Woodynz
10.03.2015 , 01:25 PM | #5
My money is on that the system everyone has seen demonstrated was centered around that actual terminal on fleet.. and the 'travel now' ability used. (completely centered around planetary heroics).

I would be surprised that if Travelling to a planet (*using your shuttles/transports the old way of getting around the galaxy) automatically lowered your level if you had nothing to do with that quest terminal.

So for me this is a Mountain or Molehill situation... until release.
*If you have not done so install DX9.0c Manually from http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/downl...s.aspx?id=8109Dx10 & 11 only emulate 9 they do not contain dx9 files.
* Here is a Windows 10 basic guide to get you back up and running.
(My no mates link)

LordElpus
10.04.2015 , 12:49 AM | #6
In the blog post around the level adjustments it was clear it would be a reverse bolster. This would not affect your skills so it's probably safe to assume that your damage output will still be higher than the a toon of the correct level of that area/planet. All the little extras you get as the skill rank goes up *should* still counts as all the reverse bolster does is nerf your current gear to a set level.

As to the crafting system, it needed something doing. Whilst levelling there was holes in the moddable gear components (ie lack of tanking mods, large level gaps between some mods so you'd have to use commends) and the rng for reverse engineering was often felt completely broken. Not felt the need to craft anything for quite sometime esp as the likes of Armourtech and Armstech becoming almost useless (although the recent agent craftable gear was a nice move forward)

Will these changes be good? Who knows, Until we hit the early access in 16 days time we won't know. In theory it sounds like a lot of the moves are in the right direction, the proof will be in the pudding as they say. Do feel punished as a Vet? No. I've experienced much more of this game than future players will have access to. I've had the elation of beating both Lost Island SM and HM before they nerfed hacked the difficulty do. I've had early access to Makeb and whilst it was clear we had something of a beta testing role we paid for early access. I've been able to experience all the OPs before people knew how to complete them and have to figure out how ourselves.

After a couple of years of players blitzing Denova whilst over levelled and geared, I think some teams are going to have a rude wakeup call when EC HM gets boosted to 65.

IronGalaxy
10.04.2015 , 01:05 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LordMilitus View Post
Level-Sync: Something all of my roleplay friends seem to be in a fuzz about. Doing this means we cannot go to random, gorgeous spots in the open world to roleplay, as we'll be assaulted and have to fight for our lives against mobs, when all we want to do is roleplay. I understand there are logistical reasons this has to be done, reusing old planets etc, but there are many RP guilds based on areas that are NOT safe. It'll force people to stay to safe spots and practically punish us if we want to make use of the entire game with all it's pretty spots.
Would this not improve roleplaying because now you will feel more immersed in the world and feel threatened by your environment?

Mon-El
10.04.2015 , 01:12 AM | #8
It all depends on the story you are weaving, are you the acolyte on Kaas then yes it would. But if you are the Dark Council member on his way back to a meeting and an acolyte who doesn't know which end of the saber lights up jumps you, then no.
It ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! -Rocky Balboa

Please use my Referral Link, Thank you------>http://www.swtor.com/r/SSfkbf

LordElpus
10.04.2015 , 01:27 AM | #9
Surely your massed group of minions can hold them off whilst you do whatever it is you are doing in the first place? Remember, your active and passive skills do not lower. Any damage, crit buffs you get from passives still apply as does damage boosts from skill ranks. It's just your gear that gets nerfed down to appropriate grade for the planet.

Mon-El
10.04.2015 , 01:36 AM | #10
But what if my minions were on their union mandated lunch break (damn unions!)
It ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! -Rocky Balboa

Please use my Referral Link, Thank you------>http://www.swtor.com/r/SSfkbf