Absorb Adrenal: Pre-2.0 vs 2.0

grallmate

I'm sure many of you have already figured this out but I haven't seen it posted in a visible spot yet.

With the changes in 2.0 the new Nano-Infused Absorb Adrenal gives a boost to Shield and Absorb whereas the old Rakata and Exotech Adrenals give a boost to Armor rating (which was then also multiplied by the stance modifier). I ran a quick test yesterday to compare the 2 and with my hodge podge 61/63/69 mix of gear I found the following:

Rakata Adrenal increased my K/E DR by ~6.5%

Re-usable Nano-Infused Adrenal increased my Shield by ~8.4% and my Absorb by ~7.3% each.

Now even with gear upgrades, the new Nano-Infused is never going to provide a greater survivability boost than the older ones unless it is redesigned. In the mean time, I suggest anyone who uses these adrenals while tanking continues to use the older ones. On the plus side, they're now cheap as chips.

Huge thanks to KeyboardNinja for doing to full mathematical proof behind the concept.

In[19]:= abs[x_]:=0.2+0.5 (1-(1-0.01/0.5)^(x/(55 0.65)))
In[18]:= shld[x_]:=0.05+0.5 (1-(1-0.01/0.5)^(x/(55 0.78)))
In[17]:= def[x_]:=0.05+0.3 (1-(1-0.01/0.3)^(x/(55 1.2)))
In[10]:= dr[x_] := x /(x+240*55+800)
In[31]:= mit[drBonus_, ar_, shBonus_, sh_, abBonus_, ab_, dBonus_, d_] := 0.75 * (1 - (1 - drBonus - dr[ar])(1 - dBonus - def[d])(1 - (shBonus + shld[sh])(abBonus + abs[ab]))) + 0.25 * (1 - (1 - drBonus - dr[ar])(1 - (shBonus + shld[sh])(abBonus + abs[ab])) )
In[84]:= shadowBase:={name->"shadow",defenseAdd->0.11,defenseBonus->0.05,shieldAdd->0.15,shieldBonus->0.2,absorbAdd->0.04,absorbBonus->0.0404,resist->0.02,armorScalar->2.15, armorAdd -> 0.04}
guardianBase:={name->"guardian",defenseAdd->0.04,defenseBonus->0.09,shieldAdd->0.19,shieldBonus->0,absorbAdd->0,absorbBonus->0,resist->0,armorScalar->1.765, armorAdd -> 0.12}
vanguardBase:={name->"vanguard",defenseAdd->0.06,defenseBonus->0.075,shieldAdd->0.19,shieldBonus->0.0,absorbAdd->0.04,absorbBonus->0.1533,resist->0.04,armorScalar->1.775, armorAdd -> 0.09}

diff[ar_,d_,sh_,ab_,base_]:=
(mit[armorAdd /. base, ar + 1675, (shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus /. base), sh, (absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base), ab, (defenseAdd /. base) + (defenseBonus /. base), d] /mit[armorAdd /. base, ar, (shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus /. base), sh, (absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base), ab, (defenseAdd /. base) + (defenseBonus /. base), d] - 1)/ 
(mit[armorAdd /. base, ar, (shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus /. base), sh + 375, (absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base), ab + 375, (defenseAdd /. base) + (defenseBonus /. base), d] / 
mit[armorAdd /. base, ar, (shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus /. base), sh, (absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base), ab, (defenseAdd /. base) + (defenseBonus /. base), d] - 1) - 1

{shadow->diff[2800,632,840,628,shadowBase],guardian->diff[5400,1126,840,134,guardianBase],vanguard->diff[5400,1033,840,227,vanguardBase]}
Out[88]= {shadow->0.11398,guardian->0.614459,vanguard->0.174525}

Just so you don't have to read the spoiler tags, here you go: {shadow->0.11398,guardian->0.614459,vanguard->0.174525}

So, the new calculation is basically considering the *full* mitigation profile (not including self-heal), assuming a 75/25 split on m/r+k/e vs f/t+k/e damage. I then take the percentage of mitigation increase from each adrenal, and then look at the ratio of these increases between the two adrenals. Loosely:

(mit[base + exo-adrenal] / mit[base] - 1) / (mit[base + nano-adrenal] / mit[base] - 1) - 1

Where mitigation is defined as the standard:

0.75(1 - (1 - dr)(1 - def)(1 - shld*abs)) + 0.25(1 - (1 - dr)(1 - shld*abs))

Note that this doesn't consider resist chance, so it is *very* slightly inaccurate (the value of the nano-infused stim is deflated by a miniscule amount), but it's pretty close to accurate.

The results show that the Exotech adrenal is 11.4% better than the Nano-Infused for Shadows, a staggering 61.4% better for Guardians, and 17.5% better for Vanguards. So, your initial intuition was correct, grallmate, the Exotech adrenal *is* better, and by a fairly wide margin.

Edited by grallmate

Yea i have to agree... with the rakata i get an almost streight up 9% additional damage reduction compared to 5-6% shield/absorb from the adrenal. This is with a mix of Artifact and black market gear.

I think the issue is that absorb and shield hit their diminishing returns very quickly in the 650-700 range. I don't even have the new absorb augments in either which will be another 300-400 absorb rating on top of that which means even lower % due to the diminishing returns.

I would have to double check this but i assume armor rating has diminishing returns on the damage reduction. perhaps since shadows have such low armor rating they benefit most from the old absorb adrenal since diminishing returns isnt kicking in much at all for them.

Yea i have to agree... with the rakata i get an almost streight up 9% additional damage reduction compared to 5-6% shield/absorb from the adrenal. This is with a mix of Artifact and black market gear.

I think the issue is that absorb and shield hit their diminishing returns very quickly in the 650-700 range. I don't even have the new absorb augments in either which will be another 300-400 absorb rating on top of that which means even lower % due to the diminishing returns.

I would have to double check this but i assume armor rating has diminishing returns on the damage reduction. perhaps since shadows have such low armor rating they benefit most from the old absorb adrenal since diminishing returns isnt kicking in much at all for them.

As far as I know, armor has an almost constant contribution to DR. The biggest benefit with the armor adrenal is that the boost is then multiplied by your stance modifier. This gives a nice boost for Guardians and Vanguards and an amazing boost for Shadows.

As far as I know, armor has an almost constant contribution to DR. The biggest benefit with the armor adrenal is that the boost is then multiplied by your stance modifier. This gives a nice boost for Guardians and Vanguards and an amazing boost for Shadows.

ahh yea makes sense either way though il be sticking with the old absorb adrenals for now.

This is what I suspected, but I didn't test it since I don't play a tank much, thanks for confirming.

Edit:

Question: While the new stim is clearly better than the old, I'm not sure if the new medpac is worth using over the rakata one, which heals for less but also gives 15% to max hp for 15 seconds.

Edited by Elegances

You can use both medpacks at different situations. So having both is good imo. For example if you are very low and in need of an extra panic button, pop the new one since it has better raw healing and the extra 15% pool from rakata isn't gonna help you much in this situation. On the other hand you can benefit from the extra health pool to provide somekinda safe window for healers at certain situations. Where there's a hard&fast hitting enemy or everyone is getting seriously low and need urgent healing while you are constantly getting damage. So you can use that extra hp provided from rakata medpack.

Edit: This post is inaccurate and misleading. See #18 for the corrected results.

Actually grall, I'm going to contradict you here. The nano-infused adrenal is actually *better* than the armor adrenal due to base class bonuses (e.g. Kinetic Ward). The math is as follows:

In[9]:= shadowBase := {name -> "shadow", defenseAdd -> 0.11, defenseBonus -> 0.05, shieldAdd -> 0.15, shieldBonus -> 0.2, absorbAdd -> 0.04, absorbBonus -> 0.0404, resist -> 0.02, armorScalar -> 2.15}
In[8]:= guardianBase := {name -> "guardian", defenseAdd -> 0.04, defenseBonus -> 0.09, shieldAdd -> 0.19, shieldBonus -> 0, absorbAdd -> 0, absorbBonus -> 0, resist -> 0, armorScalar -> 1.765}
In[10]:= vanguardBase := {name -> "vanguard", defenseAdd -> 0.06, defenseBonus -> 0.075, shieldAdd -> 0.19, shieldBonus -> 0.0, absorbAdd -> 0.04, absorbBonus -> 0.1533, resist -> 0.04, armorScalar -> 1.775}

In[35]:= diff[ar_, sh_, ab_, base_] := dr[(1675 + ar) * (armorScalar /. base)] / dr[ar * (armorScalar /. base)] - (((shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus/. base) + shld[sh + 375]) * ((absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base) + abs[ab + 375])) / (((shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus /. base) + shld[sh]) * ((absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base) + abs[ab]))
In[38]:= {shadow -> diff[2800, 840, 628, shadowBase],
guardian -> diff[5400, 840, 134, guardianBase],
vanguard -> diff[5400, 840, 227, vanguardBase]}
Out[38]= {shadow->-0.0739487,guardian->-2.79226,vanguard->-0.373133}

The results at the end are the most notable:

{shadow -> -0.0739487, guardian -> -2.79226, vanguard -> -0.373133}

This is to say that the nano-infused adrenal is strictly better than the exotech adrenal for all tanks, but especially guardians. Shadows can get away with either one, since the Nano-Infused adrenal is only *slightly* better than the Exotech for that class. (do note however that these values are not scaled by other mitigation mechanisms, most notably defense, meaning that the exact magnitude can be somewhat misleading)

Deciphering the Mathematica for more convenient work-checking, I'm basically examining the following equation:

DR((1675 + armor) * scalar) / DR(armor * scalar) - (ShieldBonus + Shield(375 + shield))(AbsorbBonus + Absorb(375 + absorb)) / (ShieldBonus + Shield(shield))(AbsorbBonus + Absorb(absorb))

Thus, I'm examining the ratio of mitigation improvement. Negative results indicate that the nano-infused adrenal is better than the exotech adrenal. The more negative the result, the better the nano-infused adrenal. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I doubled all of the ratings and ran the calculation again, just to get an approximate idea of if this trend will continue into higher stat budgets: {shadow -> -0.066216, guardian -> -1.27925, vanguard -> -0.279283}.

So basically, the Nano-Infused adrenal is actually better than the Exotech across all stat budgets.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

I've been using the rakata adrenal in all the new content.

armor > shield / absorb.

Always.

I think I might do that as a shadow tank. The nano-infused adrenal provides about 3% better mitigation than the exotech for a shadow tank (scaled for defense, self-heal and talents), but it's still RNG based. If I were a guardian though, I'd be *all* over the nano-infused stim.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

im useing the rakata adrenal more often then the new 1, it does feel like the spikey damage is less with the old 1.

new medpack im not sure of since im an assassin in some sitution that extra hp is nice and it boosts self healing up a bit.

It's partially personal preference. The more shieldable hits you'll take during the 15 seconds use of the adrenal the more likely it is that the new one is better as you will get closer to the average mitigation gains. But if you're only going to take a few hits then it depends more on your luck with shielding and you may get more benefit from the new one than the rakata or you may not.

The new one might (as KBN pointed out) interact with your defence and defensive cooldowns, a fellow tank suggested using the new absorb + a shield/absorb relic which is a no go as you will hit higher DR curves, same if you use deflection which increases defence by 50% and lowers the benefit from shield/abs.

So go for whichever you want while keeping in mind that the new one is better, I like this choice between an average better mitigation cooldown and a worse but sure mitigation cooldown.

And definitely use the rakata one against stuff like Terminate on the Operations Chief (does 34k if you do not shield/defend). I facepalmed when I used deflection and the hit went through after I told my healers that I'll be fine and wouldn't take damage (around 22-23% chance to get hit but I want my invincible deflection back).

That all said, I'd argue that the rakata one is better as a tanking cooldown for use during high damage or transition phases which are the ones where you're most likely to die.

So go for whichever you want while keeping in mind that the new one is better, I like this choice between an average better mitigation cooldown and a worse but sure mitigation cooldown.

And definitely use the rakata one against stuff like Terminate on the Operations Chief (does 34k if you do not shield/defend). I facepalmed when I used deflection and the hit went through after I told my healers that I'll be fine and wouldn't take damage (around 22-23% chance to get hit but I want my invincible deflection back).

Terminate is a tech attack. Pop Resilience/Dark Shroud and you will take 0 damage just as you intended. :-)

Terminate is a tech attack. Pop Resilience/Dark Shroud and you will take 0 damage just as you intended. :-)

Well.. I guess I've never confirmed shielding it so fair enough. I'll try it this week's HM, too bad that you can ignore the attack altogether once you get into 36-38k health region.

Actually grall, I'm going to contradict you here. The nano-infused adrenal is actually *better* than the armor adrenal due to base class bonuses (e.g. Kinetic Ward). The math is as follows:

In[9]:= shadowBase := {name -> "shadow", defenseAdd -> 0.11, defenseBonus -> 0.05, shieldAdd -> 0.15, shieldBonus -> 0.2, absorbAdd -> 0.04, absorbBonus -> 0.0404, resist -> 0.02, armorScalar -> 2.15}
In[8]:= guardianBase := {name -> "guardian", defenseAdd -> 0.04, defenseBonus -> 0.09, shieldAdd -> 0.19, shieldBonus -> 0, absorbAdd -> 0, absorbBonus -> 0, resist -> 0, armorScalar -> 1.765}
In[10]:= vanguardBase := {name -> "vanguard", defenseAdd -> 0.06, defenseBonus -> 0.075, shieldAdd -> 0.19, shieldBonus -> 0.0, absorbAdd -> 0.04, absorbBonus -> 0.1533, resist -> 0.04, armorScalar -> 1.775}

In[35]:= diff[ar_, sh_, ab_, base_] := dr[(1675 + ar) * (armorScalar /. base)] / dr[ar * (armorScalar /. base)] - (((shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus/. base) + shld[sh + 375]) * ((absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base) + abs[ab + 375])) / (((shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus /. base) + shld[sh]) * ((absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base) + abs[ab]))
In[38]:= {shadow -> diff[2800, 840, 628, shadowBase],
guardian -> diff[5400, 840, 134, guardianBase],
vanguard -> diff[5400, 840, 227, vanguardBase]}
Out[38]= {shadow->-0.0739487,guardian->-2.79226,vanguard->-0.373133}

The results at the end are the most notable:

{shadow -> -0.0739487, guardian -> -2.79226, vanguard -> -0.373133}

This is to say that the nano-infused adrenal is strictly better than the exotech adrenal for all tanks, but especially guardians. Shadows can get away with either one, since the Nano-Infused adrenal is only *slightly* better than the Exotech for that class. (do note however that these values are not scaled by other mitigation mechanisms, most notably defense, meaning that the exact magnitude can be somewhat misleading)

Deciphering the Mathematica for more convenient work-checking, I'm basically examining the following equation:

DR((1675 + armor) * scalar) / DR(armor * scalar) - (ShieldBonus + Shield(375 + shield))(AbsorbBonus + Absorb(375 + absorb)) / (ShieldBonus + Shield(shield))(AbsorbBonus + Absorb(absorb))

Thus, I'm examining the ratio of mitigation improvement. Negative results indicate that the nano-infused adrenal is better than the exotech adrenal. The more negative the result, the better the nano-infused adrenal. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I doubled all of the ratings and ran the calculation again, just to get an approximate idea of if this trend will continue into higher stat budgets: {shadow -> -0.066216, guardian -> -1.27925, vanguard -> -0.279283}.

So basically, the Nano-Infused adrenal is actually better than the Exotech across all stat budgets.

Even factoring in class bonuses to shield/absorb which (IMO) don't make less of a difference when compared to the class armour multipliers. I fail to see how a 6.5% boost to K/E DR falls behind an 8.4% boost to Shield when the Absorb % is less than 77% (which we just aren't going to see). Add into that, K/E DR applies to ALL K/E attacks while shield only has a chance to apply.

I believe you've made a mistake in the calculation and I may be wrong, Mathematica notation isn't my strong point. It looks like you have compared the relative increase the 2 adrenals apply to their respective mitigation component. That is to say, how much armour increases relative to base armour and how much shield/absorb increase relative to base shield/absorb. The relative increase to Shield/Absorb is much higher thanks to their notably lower starting values, especially for Guardians.

The important point there is that armour DR provides a MUCH higher contribution to DR than Shield/Absorb do with the possible exclusion of Shadows and while the relative increase in contribution from the specific stat is lower the absolute decrease in damage taken is greater.

EDIT:

I did another test and I'll post the numbers here. Again this is with my gear.

Armour DR

Base: 48.89%

Adrenal: 55.3%

6.41% increase

Shield*Absorb

Base: 10.88516%

Adrenal: 15.611585%

4.72% increase

Now for my Guardian at least, the Rakata Adrenal is still better but the numbers are a lot closer than I initially expected and it may vary for the other tank classes and may even reach a point where the Nano-Infused is better.

Edited by grallmate

I think what's throwing off your numbers is that armor is applied after shield - if you shield an attack, absorb applies to the entire damage, but armor only applied to the part left over once the absorb damage has been removed.

I think what's throwing off your numbers is that armor is applied after shield - if you shield an attack, absorb applies to the entire damage, but armor only applied to the part left over once the absorb damage has been removed.

They're both multiplicative so the order they're applied makes no difference to the final result.

They're both multiplicative so the order they're applied makes no difference to the final result.

True, but then you can't just compare how many percent they improved - f.e. 0.0.56*0.1 is way less than 0.5*0.16. Increasing the smaller factor by a static amount results in a much greater increase than increasing the larger factor by the same amount.

I believe you've made a mistake in the calculation and I may be wrong, Mathematica notation isn't my strong point. It looks like you have compared the relative increase the 2 adrenals apply to their respective mitigation component. That is to say, how much armour increases relative to base armour and how much shield/absorb increase relative to base shield/absorb. The relative increase to Shield/Absorb is much higher thanks to their notably lower starting values, especially for Guardians.

Derp… Sorry, noob math mistake. Here is the corrected calculation:

In[31]:= mit[drBonus_, ar_, shBonus_, sh_, abBonus_, ab_, dBonus_, d_] := 0.75 * (1 - (1 - drBonus - dr[ar])(1 - dBonus - def[d])(1 - (shBonus + shld[sh])(abBonus + abs[ab]))) + 0.25 * (1 - (1 - drBonus - dr[ar])(1 - (shBonus + shld[sh])(abBonus + abs[ab])) )
In[84]:= shadowBase:={name->"shadow",defenseAdd->0.11,defenseBonus->0.05,shieldAdd->0.15,shieldBonus->0.2,absorbAdd->0.04,absorbBonus->0.0404,resist->0.02,armorScalar->2.15, armorAdd -> 0.04}
guardianBase:={name->"guardian",defenseAdd->0.04,defenseBonus->0.09,shieldAdd->0.19,shieldBonus->0,absorbAdd->0,absorbBonus->0,resist->0,armorScalar->1.765, armorAdd -> 0.12}
vanguardBase:={name->"vanguard",defenseAdd->0.06,defenseBonus->0.075,shieldAdd->0.19,shieldBonus->0.0,absorbAdd->0.04,absorbBonus->0.1533,resist->0.04,armorScalar->1.775, armorAdd -> 0.09}

(mit[armorAdd /. base, ar + 1675, (shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus /. base), sh, (absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base), ab, (defenseAdd /. base) + (defenseBonus /. base), d] /mit[armorAdd /. base, ar, (shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus /. base), sh, (absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base), ab, (defenseAdd /. base) + (defenseBonus /. base), d] - 1)/ 
(mit[armorAdd /. base, ar, (shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus /. base), sh + 375, (absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base), ab + 375, (defenseAdd /. base) + (defenseBonus /. base), d] / 
mit[armorAdd /. base, ar, (shieldAdd /. base) + (shieldBonus /. base), sh, (absorbAdd /. base) + (absorbBonus /. base), ab, (defenseAdd /. base) + (defenseBonus /. base), d] - 1) - 1

{shadow->diff[2800,632,840,628,shadowBase],guardian->diff[5400,1126,840,134,guardianBase],vanguard->diff[5400,1033,840,227,vanguardBase]}

Just so you don't have to read the spoiler tags, here you go: {shadow->0.11398,guardian->0.614459,vanguard->0.174525}

So, the new calculation is basically considering the *full* mitigation profile (not including self-heal), assuming a 75/25 split on m/r+k/e vs f/t+k/e damage. I then take the percentage of mitigation increase from each adrenal, and then look at the ratio of these increases between the two adrenals. Loosely:

(mit[base + exo-adrenal] / mit[base] - 1) / (mit[base + nano-adrenal] / mit[base] - 1) - 1

Note that this doesn't consider resist chance, so it is *very* slightly inaccurate (the value of the nano-infused stim is deflated by a miniscule amount), but it's pretty close to accurate.

The results show that the Exotech adrenal is 11.4% better than the Nano-Infused for Shadows, a staggering 61.4% better for Guardians, and 17.5% better for Vanguards. So, your initial intuition was correct, grallmate, the Exotech adrenal *is* better, and by a fairly wide margin.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

Derp… Sorry, noob math mistake. Here is the corrected calculation:

This is very disappointing. My instincts were that the absorb/shield adrenal sucked for Juggernaut tanking and it appears my instinct was correct. Wish I had all the mats I wasted back. Back to the rakata/exotech ...

Similarly, the Rakata Meppack provides about +4800 hp and a 15% increase in HP. 15% of 30,000 hp is another 4500 hp, while the level 450 medpack provides +6800 hp max, and doesn't contribute to effects like shadow TKT and Vanguard shoulder cannon self-heals.

Similarly, the Rakata Meppack provides about +4800 hp and a 15% increase in HP. 15% of 30,000 hp is another 4500 hp, while the level 450 medpack provides +6800 hp max, and doesn't contribute to effects like shadow TKT and Vanguard shoulder cannon self-heals.

But that 4.5k goes away again after those 15 seconds. It can be useful as an extra minor CD, but that's not actual healing unless you end up dying when or before that buff expires. The extra 2k from the new medpack stays.

Thanks for running the full mathematical comparison KeyboardNinja. I've updated the OP with all the math to save people reading multiple pages for the proof.

But that 4.5k goes away again after those 15 seconds. It can be useful as an extra minor CD, but that's not actual healing unless you end up dying when or before that buff expires. The extra 2k from the new medpack stays.

As always with tanking there is rarely a cut and dried best option, its really up to personal preference. That extra 4.5k in a healing constrained phase could save your life and losing it a few seconds later won't make much difference on the healers as long as they know you've used it. Really its like comparing the old Battle Readiness and Enure, they're both great and a strong argument can be made for both.

If I use reusable rakata adrenal, 11.4% advantage for shadow will drop but will it still be better than nano-infused one?

Thank you for the math.

Both the Rakata and the Reusable Nano-Infused adrenals have a smaller bonus than the Prototype (or in the pre-2.0 case, Exotech) versions. KBN's proof uses the Prototype versions while I used the Reusable versions in my comparison. You should still find the Rakata Absorb coming out ahead but the difference between them may be different (either higher or lower) than 11.4%.

Both the Rakata and the Reusable Nano-Infused adrenals have a smaller bonus than the Prototype (or in the pre-2.0 case, Exotech) versions. KBN's proof uses the Prototype versions while I used the Reusable versions in my comparison. You should still find the Rakata Absorb coming out ahead but the difference between them may be different (either higher or lower) than 11.4%.

Results for the Rakata adrenal:

{shadow -> 0.0531745, guardian -> 0.525311, vanguard -> 0.109669}

So, the Rakata Absorb Adrenal is 5.3% better for shadows, 52.5% better for guardians and 11.0% better for vanguards.