Discourage PvE'ers from entering ranked for CXP rewards

Cruzqt

It is really annoying losing rating because you get paired with PvE'ers that simply dont give a damn about it and just sit there and wait until somebody kills them.

I think there should be an added mechanism that revokes players quest progress on the PvP Quests if they heavily underperform.

Well, the game is too "open" to everyone to implement something like that. The Devs are coming out of the conclusion that people know what ranked is, they know what their skills are and they know what they are doing. So there is no reason for a person who is not PVP skilled, with bad gear and knows what ranked is to que for ranked.

However, that is sadly not the case. I dont really think there is a way to make this work. The valor requirement was a good start however, but the rank was set far too low.

It is really annoying losing rating because you get paired with PvE'ers that simply dont give a damn about it and just sit there and wait until somebody kills them.

I think there should be an added mechanism that revokes players quest progress on the PvP Quests if they heavily underperform.

You mean like requiring medals instead of wins/losses for PvP missions?

Correct me if i'm wrong here as I've been away but isn't there a valor level requirement attached to this as is?

I mean 25 isnt hard to get and the level req should be higher I think for rated but still it isn't like a person that never PvPs can queue ranked out of the blue, they will have to put in a little effort.

Regardless, rated PvP should not be part of weekly or command quests IMO.

Yeah it's really easy to get up to 70, then it takes forever - anywhere in that area somebody should at least know how their class works in pvp.

Actually i'm not sure i agree with this.

You can 100% get thru PvE content without ever using half your skills, specifically those which are far more PvP relevant like interrupts, guards, and all those things that we as PvPers use often but when i do PvE content they dont even matter at all for the most part.

This is especially true now that companions don't really matter and they can all be heals or tank or whatever at will.

Understanding a basic rotation or even a boss fight mechanic has no relation really to fighting another player that doesn't follow rigid patterns, understanding your cool downs or his and adapting to same.

Basic understanding of class doesn't equal basic understanding of how to PvP with class in my opinion

You can 100% get thru PvE content without ever using half your skills, specifically those which are far more PvP relevant like interrupts, guards, and all those things that we as PvPers use often but when i do PvE content they dont even matter at all for the most part.

This is especially true now that companions don't really matter and they can all be heals or tank or whatever at will.

Understanding a basic rotation or even a boss fight mechanic has no relation really to fighting another player that doesn't follow rigid patterns, understanding your cool downs or his and adapting to same.

Basic understanding of class doesn't equal basic understanding of how to PvP with class in my opinion

tl;dr : PvP is far superior over PvE, right ?

tl;dr : PvP is far superior over PvE, right ?

As a player that enjoys both i wont say superior just, different :)

PvP is in my view much more reactive, whereas PvE is much more mechanical.

Both can be challenging and rewarding albeit in very different ways.

Yeah that's why 70ish (I meant Valor, after rereading I figured I might want to clarify that) - let's be totally honest, how many matches would you have to play to achieve that? I think at least twice as much? Probably more (don't remember how fast you get Valor in lower levels but it sure wasn't 1 level/wz).

If you still have no basic understanding of how your class works after 150 or so warzones, well then you probably just don't want to and another 1000 wouldn't help either :p

Edited by funnypat

Yeah that's why 70ish (I meant Valor, after rereading I figured I might want to clarify that) - let's be totally honest, how many matches would you have to play to achieve that? I think at least twice as much? Probably more (don't remember how fast you get Valor in lower levels but it sure wasn't 1 level/wz).

If you still have no basic understanding of how your class works after 150 or so warzones, well then you probably just don't want to and another 1000 wouldn't help either :p

Perhaps i misunderstood your post then i thought you meant level. not valor :) My bad.

For example. Another idea that i had, was lowering the daily and weekly req by half but make it require actual wins to force people to actually fight to win. As in 1 win for the daily and 10 wins for the weekly. Thats not unachievable for a dedicated PvPer, even if youre unlucky with teammates or just flatout not a good pvper yourself. It would at least keep those out that arent even willing to try in the first place.

I think the issue is not that people cant play their class, it's that they simply dont bother trying as they dont care about PvP as such, thus ruining the experience for everybody else.

Edited by Cruzqt

Both of these abilities and more are used in PvE, if all you've ever done is vet FPs then you've seen only the most microscopic scope of pve

i listened to the podcast or stream in youtube recently that the reason rank is open to everyone is to encourage participation so that the numbers will go up then the elo rating will work meaning lower rating player will fight lower rating and higher rating will fight higher rating

of course there are flaws on this approach but i believe that the devs want at this moment because if too small participation from dev point of view is useless spending so much resources on game mode that not even small percentage will play ( business point of view)

it is completely different compare to overwatch which main focus on pvp aspect so the team dedicate everything on it while Swtor isnt pvp focus game but broader audience from pve, rp , pvp and casuals

Edited by KumbayaGOD

This is too funny.

Ranked is a cesspool of toxic, cheating, wintrading players and you are upset that some people decide to just turn up and throw the match? Why wouldn't they? The amount of abuse and salt that players have dished out to each other in ranked over the most trivial of things makes this deliciously ironic.

This will forever be a problem because the rewards for losing are the same as for winning. But with the behaviour of most ranked players over the years means nobody cares, no one takes ranked seriously anymore and frankly you deserve it. No one that takes a passing interest in the ranked ladder believes the top rated players are anything but wintraders. Whatever prestige there was in ranked has long gone.

Some thoughts:

I like the medal based mission approach! Also the numbers you proposed, as getting 8 medals is quite easy, while winning on the losing faction partly is not (generalizing here of course). So if you play Imp on my server you will most likely really need 15-16 matches for the weekly.

To me, reaching valor 70 is by no means easy. It takes ~1.07 mio valor points, so if you assume an average of 3100 per match (which is already assuming more victories than losses) you will require ~348 matches...

Class knowledge is important, but awareness even more so, and of course "class knowledge of other classes". E.g. to know when not to waste your attacks or dcds...

Solo ranks defined through team play does not make sense anyway. In the long run the better player will eventually get higher values, but in individual games you will suffer occasionally, which will reduce the "fun".

"Ranks" and "Global ladders" will always encourage cheating and toxic behaviour, that is just human nature and I experienced this in all games I played (remember ngWorldStats in UT?).

For example. Another idea that i had, was lowering the daily and weekly req by half but make it require actual wins to force people to actually fight to win. As in 1 win for the daily and 10 wins for the weekly. Thats not unachievable for a dedicated PvPer, even if youre unlucky with teammates or just flatout not a good pvper yourself. It would at least keep those out that arent even willing to try in the first place.

Yes the idea of needing pure wins could make it more interesting. We already have a few mechanics in place, like the medals, valor and you dont get cxp and components if you lose too fast (which is mostly the case with a PVE farmer). Adding the "win requirement" would probably make it even less interesting for the ppl to come farm.

The only problem then would be PVEers wanting season rewards.

The reward discrepancy between winning and losing is already huge, any more and pubs will stop queuing altogether.

Increasing the valor requirement isn't a terrible idea. I'm by no means an elite pvp player, however I would like to play in an environment that's more challenging then regs. There's a jump that a new ranked player has to become comfortable with and that's only attained through experience playing ranked. A player can know and understand how their class works but simply isn't used to the level of pressure ranked will present. Experience changes that over time. Getting that experience is the hard part since it means going through the growing pains which a whole lot of ranked players respond to with straight hate. The solution needed is to find some sort of way to close that gap (which currently gear tends

To exacerbate). I have no idea what the solution could be. Maybe rank needs to be legacy wide and the system reworked so that new players have to reach silver in some sort of pre ranked environment. Still requires a population to do it though. To be totally honest a lot of pvp players drive away population increases just as much as they may help it. It's the same thing the nim raiding community has a propensity to do as well. We close our circles to only those that have what we are looking for currently and then get annoyed when the content no longer flows. Overall though there needs to be some way to overcome the experience gap without alienating either experienced ranked players and inexperienced ones.

Edit: maybe something like everyone starts out in a "pre season state" and unlocks bronze then silver then

Gold depending on performance in an attempt to create a sort of pvp proving grounds. Rewards would be different across all tiers and are known at the beginning of the season. The unlocks to each difficulty tier would be legacy wide. Reward coins would be eliminated. If you are able unlock gold you get gold rewards. Silver silver rewards and bronze bronze rewards. If you can't unlock bronze you don't get any reward outside of say a lock box with a large sum of components and crafting mats. Bronze weekly based on wins. Silver on wins and gold on matches played to prevent potential attempts at phoning it in. Each level rewards unassembled components. Pre ranked state rewards say...100 for completion of the weekly and 50 for the completion of the daily. Bronze 250-75, Silver 500-100, Gold 1000-100. Raise cap of unassembled to say 10,000. The thinking would be that if you're gold ranked you can grab another character and go back while gearing as quick as possible since those components are becoming legacy. Gearing still goes up for lower tiered players as well albeit slower.

There does need to be a separation between skill levels of players, but there needs to be adequate incentive for players of all skills to be involved to make it a healthy game mode.

Edited by Shwarzchild

More than likely those were not PvEers, those were peoples alts throwing the match on purpose.

As far as your rating, it is Queue Luck Score, not PvP and you don't appear to have much Luck.

i cant support the whole "you have to win" thing for one very simple reason, the premades.

Now im not knocking them, play how you want we all have friends yada yada yada blah blah blah. Even i do it from time to time, its simply the way of things in the game today. But if you base everything on win/lose you are going to heavily discourage people who cant get over that hump and keep running into the brick wall from even taking part.

I realize some of you dont really care about other players in that light but you might want to start if you ever want to actually build this community. Cant win anything if there is noone to play and you cant farm ghosts.

If you're serious about your ELO rating, then the only option in ranked is to get three or more competent friends and build a team. ( tho' why one's ELO is based on an individual's win/loss when it's a team game is a mystery.)

If you queue solo for ranked, it's a complete crapshoot.

Since BW unwittingly allowed anyone to farm UCs by solo queuing and throwing games just for their gear, you'll get all sorts of people in your team.

To get competent players on your side, you have to network a bit, and make friends, identify who's good and who isn't. - I expect most people would be flattered to be asked into your team if you pitched it right and they know from past encounters that you're not a pushover.

IMHO It's not simply PVE ers messing about for the UCs its everyone who wants to gear up quicker than the grind of endless RNG boxes, 99% of which contain useless rubbish.

/// Additional: If it was only top 5 medal scoring players got rewards, the rest got so very little or nothing, there'd be no incentive to throw a match. OFC the medal system isn't perfect, but that might make everyone work for a reward, rather than go AFK for it.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

/// Additional: If it was only top 5 medal scoring players got rewards, the rest got so very little or nothing, there'd be no incentive to throw a match. OFC the medal system isn't perfect, but that might make everyone work for a reward, rather than go AFK for it.

And then only skank tanks get rewards? No thanks.

The 8 medal limit match for rewards was implemented for a reason, not all classes are created equal.