EC SM: Can't beat Firebrand and Stormcaller

We are not a hardcore guild at all, but we have been doing EC since 1.2 came out, and still haven't been able to beat the Tank bosses. We had trouble with the strategy for a bit, but we have it down now and still can't beat it. We got enrage when the bosses were over 15%. I know everyone says if you have the DPS for Zorn and Toth, then you can do it. And we have 1 shotted Zorn and Toth the last 3 times we tried EC, but never beat the Tanks. This seems like a big problem that we hit a lot. Our tanks and healers are always fine, but we hit enrage and die. Our DPS has good gear, most are in half or more Rakata, which is over geared for this. I don't understand what we are doing wrong but it doesn't seem worth it now. This is supposed to be Story Mode after all...

We are not a hardcore guild at all, but we have been doing EC since 1.2 came out, and still haven't been able to beat the Tank bosses. We had trouble with the strategy for a bit, but we have it down now and still can't beat it. We got enrage when the bosses were over 15%. I know everyone says if you have the DPS for Zorn and Toth, then you can do it. And we have 1 shotted Zorn and Toth the last 3 times we tried EC, but never beat the Tanks. This seems like a big problem that we hit a lot. Our tanks and healers are always fine, but we hit enrage and die. Our DPS has good gear, most are in half or more Rakata, which is over geared for this. I don't understand what we are doing wrong but it doesn't seem worth it now. This is supposed to be Story Mode after all...

If you could take a video and link it in this thread I would be more than happy to analyze what is going on. Otherwise, it is hard to say where you are losing DPS uptime. Their dps timer is a little bit harder than toth and zorn idk why people are telling you differently.

Edited by Berezo

Thanks, I'll try to make a vid on our next attempt. I'm going to have everyone do DPS logs too. What would you say the DPS minimum should be?

I really don't know as we have never had dps issues with any fight in this game. I have parsed myself on this fight before and I am always 1450-1500 dps as a sentinel. I would say 1200 each should prob suffice. Might need some other input from another guild on that number.

Combat logs would be much more helpful than videos.

This game, contrary to popular opinion, is much more about spec, rotation, spatial awareness, and knowing your class. I can't tell you how many bad DPSers I've seen who are in full rakata. Just because someone over gears an Operation doesn't mean they'll be good.

With the absence of combat logs, I would recommend your DPSers to theory craft to see what exactly they're doing wrong.

Edited by Mavery

The Tank fight has a LOT of downtime for the DPS (when they can't be hitting the boss). The mechanics have the teams running (and consequently interrupting any channeled abilities) quite often. Switching to a DoT spec will help combat the enrage timers. As someone above me posted, players need to know their rotations and class. Try to eliminate wasted attacks.

You guys are right I think it will come down to maximizing DPS through their uptime and rotations/ using the right abilities. It's just frustrating when we've done Zorn and Toth easily so many times now, but can't beat the Tanks. It really is a big step up for us and is a lot less forgiving fight.

One easy way to boost DPS time is to know how to position yourself on the tanks so that the knockback will put you into the shields during the defensive systems phase. This way, you get an extra couple of attacks in instead of running for the shields.

Assuming you have a runner on the ground managing the stuff falling from the sky, it's important to have this be a person who can DPS/heal on the run. If they can't, it's a huge drop off in the teams effectiveness.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of optimizing rotations. About 1100 average DPS seems to be all that's needed.

If you're 15% short and are in rakata, you're rotations probably need work.

Edited by Infalliable

if you can maintain 1400 dps on tanks per raiders, you shouldn't have a problem, either not everyone have that dps or you have too much down time.

One way to gain easily 10-15% is to mez the last set of add before the enrage, and dps the tank from under the shield (for range dps).