Body Type 2.5, Please?

ZakPreston

I always pick body type 3 for all my male characters because of RP reasons (I'm 2m/6.6ft tall, ~125 kg). In real life tall people are exteremely rare, but even more rare are such muscular individuals.I'm pretty strong myself (thanks to gym), but I'll never be as thick and muscular as super mutants in SW:ToR with bt-3. Reasons are quite simple: with such body mass and height a person compromises his cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems. However the bt-3 male character seems to have around 150-170kg body mass, which is extremely unhealthy and even dangerous.

While scouting Iokath and doing some class stories, I've noticed that some NPCs already utilize some kind of body type 2.5: they are as tall as bt-3, but have much slimmer profile. Initially I thought it was a kind of upscaled bt-1, but it really looks like bt-2 with longer limbs and a bit larger torso.

This would be insanely difficult to do.

Basically, they'd have to add another model for every single armour set in the game. This is why "weird" sizes like Bowdarr or Khem Val do not work with armour sets.

I'm all for more choice/variety, but this one won't happen, sorry.

I really doubt it, because most armor sets on different body types are just "stretched". For sure some armor pieces would need some tuning, but in general it's not that hard at all. Some NPCs like Khem, Arkann, Wookies and Talz have significantly different models and/or animations, so it's quite understandable that players can't equip different armor on them. Edited by ZakPreston

I really doubt it, because most armor sets on different body types are just "stretched". For sure some armor pieces would need some tuning, but in general it's not that hard at all. Some NPCs like Khem, Arkann, Wookies and Talz have significantly different models and/or animations, so it's quite understandable that players can't equip different armor on them.

I think you are confusing textures with models. In the case of textures, you are correct, it's the same texture stretched over different models. Scaling models like that at runtime would be... horrible

For every armour piece, there is a model for each body type for each gender. To make matters even more fun, most armour sets are fairly modular, with models attached to the base model (this is why you sometimes see parts of one set on a totally unrelated set), and each of these will have to have a model for each body type and each gender. While there is some re-use of these models, overall it means there are actually a lot more models in a single set than you might think.

You do get the benefit of duplication of effort, I imagine they have some fairly robust tools to create and update all these models from a template, but this will still require a HUGE investment. It's not really a matter of how hard it is, rather just the sheer number of them that would need to be updated.

What does real life and RP have to do with anything?

When one RP's, they're playing a role, not one's self.

You're big and tall in RL. Got it. So, what does that have to do with RP? o.O Are you RPing or are you wanting to play yourself?

Not that I'm against more options, but you said RP then go on to mention how it seems you want to play yourself, which isn't RPing, it's playing yourself.

What does real life and RP have to do with anything?

When one RP's, they're playing a role, not one's self.

You're big and tall in RL. Got it. So, what does that have to do with RP? o.O Are you RPing or are you wanting to play yourself?

Not that I'm against more options, but you said RP then go on to mention how it seems you want to play yourself, which isn't RPing, it's playing yourself.

It means that any other body types are not options for me.

It means that any other body types are not options for me.

Does this mean you can't play anything other than a male human character too ?

Because i don't think irl you have red/blue/green skin, fur, head tantacles or horns.

The nice thing with this game, for me, is playing a large range of characters who don't look like you.

I mean, my main characters are :

- a BT1 male "light" Zabrak JC

- a BT2 male Pure-blood SI

- a BT3 male Rattataki smuggler

- a BT1 female Mirialan RT

- a BT2 fair skinned female human JK

- a BT2 female "dark" Zabrak BH

- a BT3 dark skinned female human SW

and a BT4 female Chiss IA

While i'd be closer to a BT4 fair skinned female irl, what i find interesting is having a lot of very different characters to play as, with different species, different sizes and personnalities that don't necessarily match mine...

That being said, i'd like a BT2.5 for both male and female that would be a bit taller and bulkier than the BT2, but less than the BT3 (i would totaly use it on my BH).

Or the height and weight to be 2 different features, so that we could have a BT3 height with a BT2 weight.

Edited by Goreshaga

I picked up the game again* after a break of about a year a couple of days ago and saw this thread. Having nothing between “Luke Skywalker” and “Darth Vader” sized (say Harrison Ford or Jimmy Smits sized) male player character options has been, since launch, one of the most irritating things about the otherwise spectacular visuals for this game. (I spent so much time sight-seeing on Alderaan!)

It’s not that I expect things to change at this late juncture, but I wanted the OP to know he’s not remotely alone, the shortcoming is real, and it’s been the primary reason I put down this game at several points since its launch; I currently have fifteen characters and it galls me each time I go through the character creator.

*Light-side Jaesa romance

Does this mean you can't play anything other than a male human character too ?

Because i don't think irl you have red/blue/green skin, fur, head tantacles or horns.

The nice thing with this game, for me, is playing a large range of characters who don't look like you.

I mean, my main characters are :

- a BT1 male "light" Zabrak JC

- a BT2 male Pure-blood SI

- a BT3 male Rattataki smuggler

- a BT1 female Mirialan RT

- a BT2 fair skinned female human JK

- a BT2 female "dark" Zabrak BH

- a BT3 dark skinned female human SW

and a BT4 female Chiss IA

While i'd be closer to a BT4 fair skinned female irl, what i find interesting is having a lot of very different characters to play as, with different species, different sizes and personnalities that don't necessarily match mine...

That being said, i'd like a BT2.5 for both male and female that would be a bit taller and bulkier than the BT2, but less than the BT3 (i would totaly use it on my BH).

Or the height and weight to be 2 different features, so that we could have a BT3 height with a BT2 weight.

It's just a matter of personal preference: even while RP-ing an alien species, I try to fit it as close as possible to my personal look. Some people prefer opposite approack, RP-ing lawful evil female character while being chaotic good male. And some just don't bother with RP-ing at all =)

I picked up the game again* after a break of about a year a couple of days ago and saw this thread. Having nothing between “Luke Skywalker” and “Darth Vader” sized (say Harrison Ford or Jimmy Smits sized) male player character options has been, since launch, one of the most irritating things about the otherwise spectacular visuals for this game. (I spent so much time sight-seeing on Alderaan!)

It’s not that I expect things to change at this late juncture, but I wanted the OP to know he’s not remotely alone, the shortcoming is real, and it’s been the primary reason I put down this game at several points since its launch; I currently have fifteen characters and it galls me each time I go through the character creator.

Darth Vader would actually fit bt-2.5, because bt-3 has a much bulkier chest and huge hands that match a profile of Arnie in T2 or Conan.

I´d love to have more bodytypes too.

But I´d like a body type 1,5. I think bt 2 is too muscular.

I´d like an arcann type body. More normal looking and the same height as bt 2.

Arkann looks beefier than bt-2 player characters, but he also has a bit more realistic proportions as well.

This would be insanely difficult to do.

Basically, they'd have to add another model for every single armour set in the game. This is why "weird" sizes like Bowdarr or Khem Val do not work with armour sets.

I'm all for more choice/variety, but this one won't happen, sorry.

Nadia has a unique body size.

Would love to see more body types and heights. Of much more interest to me than "Can we have another alien species?"

Nadia has a unique body size.

Would love to see more body types and heights. Of much more interest to me than "Can we have another alien species?"

I've noticed that some NPCs have an upscaled bt-1 proportions, like Voss commandos from JC story. I also noticed that Nadia's proportions are a bit different compared to Kira's and it seems like she has an upscaled BT1 as well.