Mission discovery 10

lironBD

I used to get missions discovery from slicing but now slicing lacking rank 10 lockbox missions.

how do we get mission discovery for rank 10 crafting now?

edit:

ok I asked someone who sold mission discovery 10 on gtn it seems he got it on a node in zakuul.

if there is no way to get those from companions missions it will sucks badly.

Edited by lironBD

I've run a ton of slicing missions and haven't seen one

I've gotten Slicing, Investigation, and UT mission drops (I think they're skill 580 or so to run). They certainly seem rarer than they used to be (also gotten half a dozen or so speeder schematics, which meh.)

You can still get discoveries from grade 10 sliced part missions - I've gotten several.

I think your mistaken here. They have never dropped from slicing parts missions and still don't. I have 20 slicers and have easily run several hundred grade 10 slicing missions and have not seen any. It seems the only way to get these is from gathering nodes.

It seems the only way to get these is from gathering nodes.

I haven't done any node-gathering (been focused on running the new story content, haven't bothered doing laps around the Swamps/Breaktown/Darvannis). They're definitely rarer drops than they used to be, but the ones I've gotten have all come from parts missions, directly or indirectly (I got a couple from a Slicing discovery mission.)

But when you think about it, are discovered missions even needed anymore?

Which is a better system:

running lockbox mission after lockbox mission to try to get sufficient discovered missions for the materials you want...If the command crate hate pre-5.0 was any indication RNG is not a good idea.

or getting a companion or two or 20 to rank 50 where one has a 40% chance to crit and get the specific materials they want because they are running missions that WILL generate those materials in a predictable manner (over the long haul).

Some will say, "why not have both?" But is having both is better than one or the other. With both, we saw a marked decline in the value of purple materials and those items crafted with them (look at 4.x augments vs 1.x, 2.x and 3.x values; values were halved both in the sliced parts and the augments themselves).

Furthermore, due to reshuffling of what schematics need what materials, the only purple materials that are needed anymore are slicing, TH, and Dip; UWT and Investigation purple mats are only used in crafting adaptive non-moddable equipment...not the most desirable so those discovered missions are valued less than before (personally I run UWT and Inv missions using low rank companions because I do not want the purple mats; I have vendored far more UWT and Inv purple mats than I ever sold or used combined).

My overall point is that the lack of grade 10 discovered missions is not as bad as some suggest. The lack of these missions will increase the value of the purple materials and the crafted items that use them.

I've gotten Slicing, Investigation, and UT mission drops (I think they're skill 580 or so to run). They certainly seem rarer than they used to be (also gotten half a dozen or so speeder schematics, which meh.)

I haven't seen a single mission discovery yet, after running approximately 300 rich / bountiful slicing missions.

Checking the GTN just now doesn't show a single grade 10 mission discovery for sale.

I think you're mistaken, and are actually talking about grade 9 mission discoveries from 4.0.

I'd say no. I get plenty of purple mats with high-influence companions. I won't miss mission discoveries at all.

Edited by Khevar

Whether or not they are needed or not is irrelevant, it's just annoying when devs take things away or change things without any apparent reason (and without saying anything). That said, I rarely used them or pursued them before, since I had no problems getting what I needed with max affection companions. TBH, I haven't really bothered bumping my companions over level 10 (where they were pre 4.x) and I still get enough mats.

running lockbox mission after lockbox mission to try to get sufficient discovered missions for the materials you want...If the command crate hate pre-5.0 was any indication RNG is not a good idea.

Not sure what you mean by "pre-5.0" hate, the post-release hate seems to be just as strong and likely won't start to fade until peoples' subs start running out.

My overall point is that the lack of grade 10 discovered missions is not as bad as some suggest. The lack of these missions will increase the value of the purple materials and the crafted items that use them.

I'm not sure that it will increase value of purple mats, since people likely vendored or tried to sell missions they didn't want to run and didn't actually run them, so there existence would have little to no impact on the value. Two things you didn't mention that affect the value of purples was the reduction of purple mats needed in many schematics (e.g., augments went from four slicing purples to two) and the increase of purples returned by bountiful/rich missions (both of which happened in 3.0).

That said, I don't think it's a big deal mechanically.

Mission - I haven't done any node-gathering since 5.0 dropped.

A slicing mission or in that case just a rich scavenging mission?

Thanks for the pic, I haven't seen one drop yet and thought they didn't exist as I kept getting those 500 speeder recipes on a crit!

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm blind, those speeder missions were really throwing me!

Edited by Sasco

high influence comps are much harder to come by now, however. When they took out crystals the bumped the price of rank 6 comp gifts to 250k. that makes them totally out of range for most people. so i would argue mission discovery is better.

While I agree that high influence comps are more expensive, one can still get a companion to rank 20 for a reasonable amount of credits: the comp gift vendors are still available on fleet:

Grade 1 gifts are still 200 credits each

Grade 2 gifts are still 600 credits each

Grade 5 blue gifts are now 5000 credits instead of 5 CDCs

Grade 5 purple gifts are now 10,000 credits instead of 10 CDCs.

protip: two grade 5 purple = one grade 6 in influence gain. So it will take twice as long (twice as many clicks and "cast times", but for a fraction of the cost you get the same result.

I haven't seen a single mission discovery yet, after running approximately 300 rich / bountiful slicing missions.

I have now run over 1,000 rich and bountiful slicing missions, and have yet to see a single grade 10 mission discovery.

If it wasn't for Pardoz' screenshot, I would believe they didn't exist at all.

Has anyone else seen any?

I found a Slicing Mission Discover 10 on the GTN (for an absurdly low price too) and jumped on it. My slicers are constantly going out on slicing missions (the top two levels) and haven't seen even one drop, I'd estimate maybe 300 missions so far? lol great drop rate that. Kinda like my RNGgoRound luck.

Which is a better system:

or getting a companion or two or 20 to rank 50 where one has a 40% chance to crit and get the specific materials they want because they are running missions that WILL generate those materials in a predictable manner (over the long haul).

Some will say, "why not have both?" But is having both is better than one or the other. With both, we saw a marked decline in the value of purple materials and those items crafted with them (look at 4.x augments vs 1.x, 2.x and 3.x values; values were halved both in the sliced parts and the augments themselves).

Furthermore, due to reshuffling of what schematics need what materials, the only purple materials that are needed anymore are slicing, TH, and Dip; UWT and Investigation purple mats are only used in crafting adaptive non-moddable equipment...not the most desirable so those discovered missions are valued less than before (personally I run UWT and Inv missions using low rank companions because I do not want the purple mats; I have vendored far more UWT and Inv purple mats than I ever sold or used combined).

These are all excellent points. Well said.

I not only agree, but would like to add that for the crew skills like Scavenging, Bio Analysis, and Archaeology, the mission discoveries are very lackluster. They take so much longer than regular missions. In the same length of time, you could have done several regular missions to make up for the amount you would have gotten. The only nice thing about them is that they cannot fail.

Back when you didn't always get the mission you wanted due to RNG, and when your companions' crit chances were much lower, yeah, the Mission Discoveries were more enticing. But now, with everything that's changed, Mission Discoveries have been left behind.

These are all excellent points. Well said.

I not only agree, but would like to add that for the crew skills like Scavenging, Bio Analysis, and Archaeology, the mission discoveries are very lackluster. They take so much longer than regular missions. In the same length of time, you could have done several regular missions to make up for the amount you would have gotten. The only nice thing about them is that they cannot fail.

Back when you didn't always get the mission you wanted due to RNG, and when your companions' crit chances were much lower, yeah, the Mission Discoveries were more enticing. But now, with everything that's changed, Mission Discoveries have been left behind.

I mildly disagree with your assessment of gathering skill discovered missions. while in the same time you can run more missions, those missions and materials cost more credits. With Wealthy missions You get 32 materials (16 of each) for roughly 150 credits a piece (assuming a non-crit). The rich mission with a rank 50 comp is three times that at 460 credits a piece (assuming idealized crit rates)

Edited by psandak

Yeah, I love the mission discoveries for the skills with blues/purples. Less interested in the Arch/Scav/Bio ones, but even there, if I get low, I love to have one or two to get my crafting done.

Can ANYONE confirm where these come from, I would also estimate about 1000 missions (rich and prosperous) and not one mission discovery has dropped.

I even started doing TH lockbox missions hoping to find one in one of those boxes, but nada in maybe 40 or 50 missions.

Since 5.0 early access i have been running on 4-5 chars slicing highest grade missions and never seen even one grade 10 mission discovery at 600.

I thought they got removed and then checked GTN. No idea whats gonig on but i never got one still.

Edited by Divona

I mildly disagree with your assessment of gathering skill discovered missions. while in the same time you can run more missions, those missions and materials cost more credits. With Wealthy missions You get 32 materials (16 of each) for roughly 150 credits a piece (assuming a non-crit). The rich mission with a rank 50 comp is three times that at 460 credits a piece (assuming idealized crit rates)

That's a fair point. It is cheaper to use wealthy missions. I remember doing the math (when I was frustrated with those types of mission discoveries,) and they were cheaper. Cheaper and infallible. Yay. :)

Edit: There was a time when the mission discoveries weren't infallible. You could pay the higher credits and wait for the longer hours, only to have your companion fail. Those were frustrating times.

Edited by KindlyOne

Edit: There was a time when the mission discoveries weren't infallible. You could pay the higher credits and wait for the longer hours, only to have your companion fail. Those were frustrating times.

Are you sure about this?

I've been doing crafting in this game since 2012 and I've never seen a mission discovery fail.