Combat Style / Power Cell / Etc.

LordFell

It used to be, that all of our classes had different modes that we could select, that changed the base way our class functioned. Now, a lot of this has become baked in; because different Jedi Combat Styles or different Bounty Hunter Blaster Cells were intended to be DPS or Tank utilities... and now that our role is pretty much set (if you're a Deception Assassin or a Dirty Gunfighter, you're DPS, or you're DPS, and the choice is made for you, and that's fine).

However, some classes are more hybrid than others. For these classes, I would like to see a return of the active choice between different styles. So, for Assassins, Guardians, Juggernauts and Shadows, characters should have the option of a DPS or tanking Lightsaber style. Vanguards and Power Techs need a choice between damage output ammo, and high threat generation ammo. Operatives and Scoundrels need the choice between high energy output cells and extra kolto cannisters.

However, some classes are more hybrid than others. For these classes, I would like to see a return of the active choice between different styles. So, for Assassins, Guardians, Juggernauts and Shadows, characters should have the option of a DPS or tanking Lightsaber style. Vanguards and Power Techs need a choice between damage output ammo, and high threat generation ammo. Operatives and Scoundrels need the choice between high energy output cells and extra kolto cannisters.

They DO have that choice. Choose the healing discipline of Commando/Merc/Op/Scoundrel/Sage/Sorc and you get the healing doodad. Choose the DPS discipline and you get the dps doodad.

Same for tank/dps classes: choose KC on your shadow to get the tanking stance, or a DPS discipline for a DPS stance. Etc.

Hybrids were blocked for a reason, and that reason is just as relevant now as it was back then. A tank in a DPS stance or vice versa is a hybrid.

No, downvote / disagree / antivote from me. Sorry.

Hybrids were blocked for a reason, and that reason is just as relevant now as it was back then. A tank in a DPS stance or vice versa is a hybrid.
Hybrids are NOT blocked.

Roll a Vanguard. Take a DPS spec. I picked Plasma... your DPS spec STILL HAS a Guard function and a Taunt. Your DPS spec can still equip a Shield instead of a Generator.

Simple question - why?

The reason I want to be able to choose (active choice, without switching specs) is that I don't like to switch specs for my classes. This Character is This Spec. DONE. But, at the same time, when a class is a Hybrid (My DPS Spec Assassin has Guard, has Taunt, and can equip a Shield) I would like to have more active choice in how I behave in group content.

Let's say I'm doing a Story Mode Flashpoint. We have 2 DPS and 2 Heals -and I'm one of the DPS. I volunteer to tank, I swap my Focus for a Shield, I throw Guard on whoever seems to be drawing the most aggro... but I'd like to be able to switch between Dark Charge (Tank) and Lightning Charge (DPS).

Or, again, same character (Hatred Assassin) I joined an Ops to hunt World Bosses. When Adds spawned, it was my job to sweep them up and tank them. Otherwise, my job was to DPS the Boss; so, Adds spawn, I switch to Dark Charge... go back to the Boss, switch back to Lightning Charge.

Edited by LordFell

The shield doesn't even work on a dps spec anymore, you'll have 0% shield chance with it now. So they did block off hybrids in that sense.

That's because the DPS specs cannot equip the stance/cell/etc. that enables it. On a VG, only the Tank spec can equip Ion Cell to activate the shield.

But this all comes back to the weirdness that tankable classes have taunts and guard in all specs, not just the tank spec. I would be inclined to call that an oversight on their part.

The shield doesn't even work on a dps spec anymore, you'll have 0% shield chance with it now. So they did block off hybrids in that sense.
Just logged in and checked. My Sith Assassin in Hatred Spec has an 11% shield chance. My gearing is a bit hybrid as well, some DPS mods, and some Tank mods -but clearly I can use a Shield.

...probably, if I were able to shift to Dark Charge that bonus would jump to 26%.