So why isn't BW/EA doing what they said about letting people in?

Sabster

I know for a fact that a friend got into early access, and he pre-ordered in September. But my 2nd account was pre-ordered in August.

How can that be, if they supposedly started with the first pre-order and running through the database? Both of my accounts are CE, and his isn't - so that's not it either.

Does anyone know for sure how they're doing early access? cuz it's clearly not starting with #1 and working their way down the list.

Edited by Sabster

On my account page under Code Redemption History, it says "Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Early Game Access: Ready to patch"

Obvious question I know, but does that mean my code has been redeemed?

I believe so, but don't quote me. When I check mine it tells me that I have created my security questions and the second step but not registered yet. But when I go to re-register my code it says it is already registered. Soooo....I think there may be a couple glitches in the process.

Why don't y'all try to log? Before I received my invite, I was unable to post in the forums. After I received my invite, I was able to post in the forums. :eek: You should both check, if you haven't already. E-mails don't travel at the speed of light.

Oh, and this:

Heh, Inorite? :cool:

I should have just waited until launch bc at the rate they are going people who ordered in early november will get like two days of head start. This is the weakest early start ever, even STO gave us more time than this. I can't believe I paid in advance for nothing

I should have just waited until launch bc at the rate they are going people who ordered in early november will get like two days of head start. This is the weakest early start ever, even STO gave us more time than this. I can't believe I paid in advance for nothing

You get a color stone; which all pre-orders do. You are speculating you will get two extra days of gaming; for absolutely no extra charges beyond the base cost of the game. You're not some special godly millionaire customer that game developers cherish more than their own mothers. Get over it, and see you at retail launch. :wea_09:

What is worrying me isnt the fact that I am not in yet, it is that they are this worried about Server Loading and how many people they are letting on how fast. If they are this worried then I am getting worried about whether or not game play is going to be really lagging or if there will be server wait times from the start.

It isn't about whether their server load can handle the usage. It can. The thing they are worried about is game play experience for people. They don't want 90million people competing for the same quest mobs making for an unpleasant early access/launch experience.

This is why they are staggering the invites to early access.

I know for a fact that a friend got into early access, and he pre-ordered in September. But my 2nd account was pre-ordered in August.

How can that be, if they supposedly started with the first pre-order and running through the database? Both of my accounts are CE, and his isn't - so that's not it either.

Does anyone know for sure how they're doing early access? cuz it's clearly not starting with #1 and working their way down the list.

Doesn't matter when you actually spend the money to preorder. It just matters when you REGISTER that preorder code. And also, chillax. Have a drink and go to bed early, you may be in tomorrow.

They'll have to add more servers. They are already at standard (some are at heavy) on almost every US server with this small amount of people playing. They'll need at least triple this many by actual launch.

Are you sure they don't plan to increase the server limit as they allow more people in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xumagai

You get a color stone; which all pre-orders do. You are speculating you will get two extra days of gaming; for absolutely no extra charges beyond the base cost of the game. You're not some special godly millionaire customer that game developers cherish more than their own mothers. Get over it, and see you at retail launch. :wea_09:

I have to agree that this is pretty bad from BW, considering they never said anything about the time you would get into the headstart related to the time you actually registered your preorder, until very close to the end of beta. I have been playing MMO's since original EQ, have beta'd and played several, and I dont think any other game that offered a preorder, did it this way. In some ways , you could call it a "Bait and Switch" marketing ploy, which is an illegal practice in the U.S.

Its not a matter of crying about not getting all the days or 2 of the days or w/e....its about being mislead.

Edited by Hellvez

Doesn't matter when you actually spend the money to preorder. It just matters when you REGISTER that preorder code. And also, chillax. Have a drink and go to bed early, you may be in tomorrow.

Mine were registered in July and August. His was registered in September.

There are several people saying they got in, and pre-ordered in December. (and I can confirm some of them).

I have to agree that this is pretty bad from BW, considering they never said anything about the time you would get into the headstart related to the time you actually registered your preorder, until very close to the end of beta. I have been playing MMO's since original EQ, have beta'd and played several, and I dont think any other game that offered a preorder, did it this way. In some ways , you could call it a "Bait and Switch" marketing ploy, which is an illegal practice in the U.S.

Its not a matter of crying about not getting all the days or 2 of the days or w/e....its about being mislead.

Armchair lawyer ftw. Under no circumstances could you call this a bait and switch, as they've been upfront since the beginning. When you pre-order and get your pre-order code, you are told you will get early access. When you register said code, you get an email that says you will get up to 5 days. Back in July, you got an email that said up to 5 days. In the last month, they've added to that time, giving people up to 7 days. It's absolutely a matter of crying. You weren't mislead, you ignored information.

It isn't about whether their server load can handle the usage. It can. The thing they are worried about is game play experience for people. They don't want 90million people competing for the same quest mobs making for an unpleasant early access/launch experience.

This is why they are staggering the invites to early access.

You realize that SWTOR shards zones when necessary, to prevent exactly that problem no matter how many people need to be in 'x' zone at a given moment.

Now, a 'server' consists of more than one hardware server - with different zones/behaviors spread to different hardware shards, so having the entire game-server's capacity in a single zone is still absolutely going to lead to worse performance than having them spread out throughout many zones (and likely across at least two hardware shards).

It really does come down to hardware server load as the #1 thing though; until the community spreads out a bit, they have two options.

A: Release more servers at a staggering rate, only to have to do server merges down to the line

or

B: Allow for enormous queues early on after the flood of initial players

Bioware tried an experiment with C, limit the amount of players who can even enter the queue - to make the experience better for all involved.

NONE are a good option, but nobody has presented a better alternative yet - certainly not on an MMO scale. I would have been fine with B or C, but I'm REALLY glad they didn't go with A. Trying to please everyone for the first week while screwing a huge portion of them over long term (due to awful populations on many servers) is insane.

It has nothing to do with not being confident in the product either. Even if Bioware manages a 100% subscription retention, after the initial excitement winds down the concurrent user count is going to drop like a rock.

SS or it didn't happen