Augments are broken, this game is broken.

AnAcuteAngle

Lol.

Everyone who says that I'm wrong, I redirect you here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=494473

You're nothing but a bunch of Star Wars fanboi groupies, and I'm glad to be rid of a community so utterly pathetic like all of you.

Apparently you don't know jack **** about economics.

You really think the best way to fix an economy is to make people blow all their money, while rewarding those who are willing to change professions to suite your cause?

You're all a bunch of morons. This game is dying, and I'm going back to league.

Peace :D

As much as you're QQing, I'm surprised you didn't post this in General Forum. lol

But seriously, stop trying to blame BioWare because you made a mistake. Btw, my Armormech makes Mk-6 Aug slots, and sells them for around 25k apiece. Easy credits.

You should never buy anything but a MK-6. You should also never put an augment slot on any pre-lvl 50 gear that is not orange.

It would then run anywhere from 60k-100k to get both the augment slot and augment for an item. This is actually going to be substantially less than buying many orange crit items pre-1.3.

Umm why not? Tne aesthetics argument was already done on a previous thread, but I'll rehash it anyway. Most of the lvl 50 gear looks like junk. On my thread I compared them to walking trash cans and even most people who disagreed with my overall point of view about how bad the new system is conceded on this point. Alot of people like the way lower lvl ORANGE gear looks better than the higher end stuff. So why would I not want to make something effective if I like the way it looks better?

The OP has a point and to back up his argument I'm posting this here from my thread -

My response to another poster:

I agree with aspects of what your saying here, but I would argue that augments were always necessary for end-game especially for pvp folks. That being said I agree, you don't have to have suped up armor or gear for pve as you lvl up. Truth of the matter is you can pretty much go from 1-50 with nothing but green and maybe some blue gear. I mean the one flaw of this game is that the mobs are easy to overcome. Even heroic 4's are not that difficult. My friend and I have done at least 90% of the heroics and flashpoints with just the two of us and poorly equipped companions with little or no face planting. However, how many people really want to be less than average or we'll say average at the least in comparison to the rest of the gaming community. Yeah augmented gear isn't necessary and is in fact a macho thing. But, in understanding that were playing a game where we live vicariously through an animated cartoon that kills people shouldn't a macho mentality be expected. I know that when I group I get a kick out of laying down massive DPS, which is only possible if Im well equipped.

I like yourself don't like it when MMO's make it easy to accomplish what should be a difficult task either. Perhaps crafting augmented gear has been a bit too easy. However, bioware didn't make augmenting more difficult. In fact they made it universally easier. This goes back to the argument Ive been making all along which is that now anyone can augment gear reagrdless of their crafting skills. I dont have a problem with that, but something needs to set the speciffic crafters apart from the non specific-crafters. I respect your opinions as they have been poignant and well thought out, which honestly baffles me that you do not appreciate how crafting augmented gear has become completely linear for everyone and that should not be the case. The ability to augment particular gear is what makes crafting in this game unique, especially in the end game where gear that is craftable is nowehere near as good as the commendation gear. The 1.3 system has merit. Which as I have said before, will allow people to augment dropped, social, or mission rewarded gear that otherwise couldn't be augmented via crafting. I thought that was a brilliant idea and would have been great if implemeneted at launch. Bioware, however has turned this idea into Frankenstein's monster by completely eliminating certain crew skills. My armorech, synthweaver, and armstech crafters are now the same as characters that do not possess these skills. To me that seems unblelievably ridiculous. The only narrative I can compare this to is taking my car to get fixed by a watchmaker, b/c if a guy who can repair a watch can also fix a car then why would we need mechanics.

One last thing I have to disagree with you on is that orange gear was never meant to be outleveled by the character wearing it, but only the components in it. This is evident with commendations. It has been very easy to keep orange gear up to date by simply getting mods through commendations. The orange gear does not change, only the mods which are very easy to get. Augments work in the same way. The only difference has been is that augments, which as you stated are much more difficult to come by. Now once again I don;t have a problem with non crafting professions having the ability to augment gear by using a a toolkit, but they're doing it as easily as a crafter, which makes no sense. Once again you can put a socket wrench in my hand, but I'm a teacher, not a mechanic, so I'm probably not going to put it to good use in regards to fixing my car.

Now I have engaged in some hyperbole in the course of this thread and for that I DO NOT apologize b/c the fact of the matter, if you'll permit the cliche, is that the squeeky wheel gets the grease. Now If I've been insulting, which I'm sure I have been I do apologize, but I will continue to make this argument and not just for myself and my point of view but also b/c this system is just that bad. I was not exagerating or in any case being false when I said I personally know 5 people who cancelled as a result of this new system. Sure alot of that had to do with the fact that all of their previously crafted augmented gear was made worthless by the patch. This is true for various reasons. For one they couldn't sale their augmented gear and the characters that they were saving it for was pointless. But they also cancelled b/c they simply see things as I have been stating on this thread, which is why in the hell should I bother crafting anything anymore. You have to keep in mind that crafting has become an essential aspect of any MMO. Without crafting MMO's quickly become tedious and mundane. The same can be said for a bad crafting system. Im posting on this like a madman for the simple reason that I think this game has a ton of potential and I want to see it last and thrive and not become another crappy free to play MMO.

So all that being said, if this game wasn't Star Wars I would have cancelled in a heart beat. Truthfully the only thing thats keeping me around at this point is that I'm a huge star wars fan. I'm not however going to let my being a fanboy of star wars (not the prequals which blew btw) make me a fanboy of a star wars game that is failing its consumer base. Also I'm not the only person who has expressed their displeasure reagrding this topic. Ive read several other posts expressing the same concerns. This is another thing, (and this will be my last point I promise) is a true to MMO addage, which is that alot if not most people who play MMO's rarely if ever post on the boards. Ive had alot of problems with the game. Smugglers luck for instance is without a doubt the absolute dumbest and most annoying animation I HAVE EVER SEEN in any game period. And where are the alien species that people are clamoring for? Instead Bioware is giving us the Thundercats as a playable race. Ive never seen one of those fools in a movie cartoon or anything. Why them....seriosuly? My point is, that despite these major shortcomings Ive never posted a complaint, but this was just too much. Other people aren't complaining just as I had not. They're just going to leave b/c for them a Star Wars game just isn't enough of a reason to stay.

Edited by Farleft

Augments are not broken. Not one bit. In fact they have done great things for me. First let's address your comment about "I played wow for 4 years..." That's the problem. You realize that when WoW was the same age as SWTOR is now it really sucked! You realize that for the age this game is they have done a lot of things really really well?

No this game isn't as polished at WoW and nor should it be right now. They are working on it. Take LFG. It took wow YEARS to implement that and SWTOR has it in the first year.

Augments are great if you apply them correctly and get the right ones. It also helps to be in the RIGHT guild. You know where guildmates help each other. I have made dozens if MK-6 kits and given them to guildies. I have made dozens of Purple 22 Augments and given them to guildies. The game is not broken...your sense of how to manage your equipment is broken.

Lastly, for a good MMO to work correctly they need to maintain an economy. For an economy to work they need to have credit sinks so people don't get stupid rich and so prices don't get out of hand. You maky be a level 50 with a butt load of credits but the new player leveling will get quickly discouraged if everything on the GTN costed 6 figures or more.

So you have two choices. 1) give your head a shake and realize the game is still new. or 2) go away

Are you seriously making this argument. I mean I could say Super Mario Bros didnt even hace crafting or a player community for that matter. What game do you think TOR is based on? Its WOW. In other words the work has already been done for them, the pioneering pioneered, trailblazing blazed.... TOR is nothing more than WOW wrapped up in new paper. This would be like one country arguing that their rocket program was sure to have some kinks in it citing the same mistakes of the country that had 50 years previously introduced rocket technology. The point is TOR system is a copy of WOW, thus, you shouldn't be arguing that WOW had these same problems 10+ years ago. WOW fixed it. Don't copy their old stupid mistakes copy their succeses and guess what will happen? You'll have success to. No, TOR should be adding on to what WOW already is not repeating the mistakes of WOW's dark ages. Your painting by numbers here dude. Theres no reason why the painting should look terrible if the original is not.

"So you have two choices. 1) give your head a shake and realize the game is still new. or 2) go away "

Also, this is a nice message to send. First of all understand that this is what forums are for. To express discontent and content so that the Dev's know what to do to make people happy, so that they will keep playing, which means more sub fees which means more $ for them. Its a win win. If these guys taking our money are unable to take enraged crtiques then they are in the wrong business. But telling people to go away only hurts you, b/c MMO's rely on subscribers the more people who leave the less enjoyable the game will be for you as a result. So way to cut off your nose to spite your face and remember that when TOR is free to play.

The OP has a good reason to be angry and has a good reason to express his or her anger in an angry way. Bioware did a 180 on the crafting system. Yes the old system needed work and some changes made to it. It was not however completely broken beyond repair to the point where it needed to be completely changed.

I love all of you.

The ones who realize I'm not just whining and complaining >.>

Love you to. I'd urge you to stick it out a little longer though. There has been alot of discontent with this new system and if Bioware is listening and cares about their bottom line THEY WILL CHANGE IT.

I realize you already unsubbed but come back in a few weeks and see what happens.

Hey Drones:

•  
  • Money Sinks - BW themselves stated that less than 1% of players had 1mil or more credits in the bank. The idea that moneysinks were desperately required is completely wrong. The REAL and obvious reason these money sinks are in the game is to give people something to do since substantial content updates won't happen any time soon.

• Earning Money - The average player will be lucky to find the 2hrs it takes them to do dailies on one toon, let alone hrs on end to play the market(which just like the RL markets, is highly volatile, and can make you big profits in a short period, OR simply waste your time and money). Dailies are also boring, torturously so if you do them nearly every day on multiple toons(like I do).

• Design Flaws - Drones ALWAYS blame the player. If a system is designed to be used from lvl 1-50 yet an avg. player has to wait till lvl 50 to make reasonable use of said system...IT'S A DESIGN FLAW pure and simple.

• In Conclusion - Alpha players will have no problem uncovering every advantage in the market using multiple crafters, price fixing, cherry picking etc. and completing dailies on multiple toons in the most efficient manner possible(1hr+/- for each toon), taking advantage of world events etc. and amassing millions in the process. BUT - this isn't about the Alpha players, this is about the AVERAGE player. If an AVERAGE player can't make use of a game system in a useful, reasonable and timely manner IT IS NOT DESIGNED PROPERLY. End of story.

Edited by DizzD

Lol.

Everyone who says that I'm wrong, I redirect you here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=494473

You know, at first I thought you were just a whiny noob, but then you posted that link. Yeah, people paying attention to future patch notes that are available to everyone and preparing for patch day... that's just wrong. I mean sure, those high numbers were only for the first day before everyone and their brother started making kits and Augments and drove the prices down. And yeah, once you sell someone all their kits and Augments, they don't need to buy from you anymore, but it's still broken... somehow...

I'm sorry, but I don't feel like I should constantly be punished for choosing Biochem as my crafting skill.

So much this. I mean, I guess you could go to the BH/Campaign vendors and buy the schematics for Exotech Stims, but they cost 20 BH comms (which is FOUR WHOLE DAYS to get if you only run a HM FP from the GF) each. Yes, they sell fast. And yes, the fact that you craft three at a time for similar material costs as the Hyper-Battles (they use the purple Medical Supplies instead of the blues) makes them cheaper per unit to produce while still selling for more than double what those do. But... someone who was paying attention got a big payoff on patch day! That has never happened in any other MMO EVER!

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

It was true months ago, when they had the guild meeting that was streamed to the web. It is unlikely still to be true.

Money sinks are important to a healthy MMO economy. Now one can always argue that the current economy isn't healthy, but that's unlikely to be down to money sinks. Most of the concerns I saw raised about the new perks system boiled down to "why can't I get all the perks I want on day one with the money I have in my pocket". It's not hard to raise money if you want it, and you can buy perks over time and work towards them. Personally the only ones I've bought are +crafting crit chance, as they will on average lower my crafting costs and increase the value of crafting sales.

Basically an MMO economy needs stuff to trade between players, and it needs money taken out. Ideally you should take out of an economy a similar amount of money as comes into it (actually somewhat less, to account for players leaving, and a bit less to allow moderate inflation - as people prefer moderate inflation to zero inflation or high inflation). Buying something from another player does not do this. Buying something from an NPC does. So money sinks include crafting missions, skill purchase, repairs, GTN fees, perks, paid legacy unlocks, ship fuel costs, etc.

The balance trick is to get the costs right, so that people feel like they are slowly getting richer, and that they are improving their characters by getting stuff, but not feel hamstrung by lack of finances, or get it so fast that they don't value the achievement (as then they tend to just quit the game as it's too easy). That isn't an easy balancing act, compounded by everyone's expectations being different.