Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

When I think about "making a fuss" i go back to the Retake Movement and what happened with Mass Effect 3: a week later the thing started they've already announced the new "Extended Cut", in 3 months BW released a new FREE dlc to stop the uproar (i don't wanna go through it, just for saying).

So yeah, great work obtain that - you "forum fighters", i personal appreciate it very much: i just hope that somebody will take notice on what we're saying and don't let those things go to waste; sadly, silence build frustration and a sense of being ignored...

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the two Game Time Cards I ordered a while back, but I think I'm going to let my subscription run out this week.

Taking a break from the game will give BioWare some time to make sure the graphical updates are stable, and maybe announce something about 1.5 and/or SGRA. An announcement about which companions are affected would make proceeding with my Smuggler much easier, after all.

Plus, I'll have time for some other RPGs when I'm not busy studying. :)

EDIT: @Ayslinn_Iduviel: Unfortunately content aimed at a "minority" isn't given as high priority. And I guess we're just not being angry enough. <_<

Edited by JediMB

Unfortunately content aimed at a "minority" isn't given as high priority. And I guess we're just not being angry enough. <_<

A majority of the guys (who I believe are str8) in my guild want V-on-V action so it's not just gay ppl

Edited by Ixum

EDIT: @Ayslinn_Iduviel: Unfortunately content aimed at a "minority" isn't given as high priority. And I guess we're just not being angry enough. <_<

I think part of the problem is that Bioware don't realise that there are people who would kind-of like to have SGR options, but don't entirely mind them not being in as they have opposite-gender romances to explore or don't put as much stock into the companion romances. The (Bioware's and some others) assumption seems to be that only those who are explicitly stating that they want the content are those interested in the content.

A majority of the guys (who I believe are str8) in my guild want V-on-V action so it's not just gay ppl

I think part of the problem is that Bioware don't realise that there are people who would kind-of like to have SGR options, but don't entirely mind them not being in as they have opposite-gender romances to explore or don't put as much stock into the companion romances. The (Bioware's and some others) assumption seems to be that only those who are explicitly stating that they want the content are those interested in the content.

Well yes, i think that so, but even if I'm also straight i think that this content should be in the game (as any other game with romance option, BW or not BW), because it's "right" and also "normal" (i'm using simple words to avoid escalating the issue).

So basically I'm a supporter of the initiative without any stakes on it, just because it feel "right" to have same-equality-options.

Edited by Ayslinn_Iduviel

So basically I'm a supporter of the initiative without any stakes on it, just because it feel "right" to have same-equality-options.

I'm an ally as well. I agree that this is about equal representation and acknowledgement, something that our nay-sayers constantly overlook.

Omg he answered!

Hall Hood ‏@hallhood

(1 of 2) To all the folks who have been expressing interest in SGRs, here is the official word from Gabe Amatangelo:

(2 of 2) When I can share more information, I will let you know. Writing romances is one of my favorite things about working on SWTOR. :-)

the vid is the same one we saw before

OMG, is this true!!, I just can't believe it!!

Becouse if it won't be in Mekeb for some reasons, people will rip off their heads yelling "you told us to be in, you LIED".

Sad truth :(

In some way I'd be happy if the Flirt options were free of the gender check. I know, voice over and writing problems can prevent this but still...

Edited by Meglivorn

They're going to be rolling out innumerable bug fixes for 1.4 in the next couple of weeks, but that doesn't mean we should allow them to forget about us. I don't expect 1.5 to Makeb, but I do want further official clarification on Mr. Gabe's statement posted on this site by a Bioware representative.

I put the bolded part of your quote to @HallHood. I know there isn't much faith to be had with Twitter, but it's better than sitting back and letting them ignore us. I thought this was a great point and a good way for the devs to show some regard for SGRs. They can say, "Sorry, we didn't mean to ignore you," and it means a lot to me, but it doesn't change the fact that the devs almost seem afraid to come and talk to us.

The biggest reason why ToR brought me back was for fun. It's been hard feeling like I have pull teeth just to get the devs to say anything. However, I think being angry/negative all the time is not really the way to go. I'm personally not satisfied with Hood's answer, so I will keep pressing this issue until he realizes that he needs to address this site. No more of this, "Check another dev for his vague answer," crap.

That being said, I still have a blast thinking about who can and can't be available. So, in the name of returning some of the fun into this thread, who do you guys want to be with in a SGRA?

Mine is Kira, DS(or LS) Jaesa[LS Jaesa should really be available to romance,] Aric and Corso. :D

I don't know really, because my list can really be too long about it :p and besides, Devs say they're not simply changing dialogues to match SGR options, they want to "write" some more. So i'm very curious to know what they come up to :)

I think what they meant by that was that they wouldn't just switch of the gender-flag, and re-using existing audio thereby taking the easy way out not necessarily that it won't be with existing companions - some of whom were already slated for sgras.

For my own amusement I began altering the existing Bastila/Female Revan KoTOR mod (Which was a great start but was done by a straight guy afaik, and some of the added player dialogue reflected that. Sorry, but an all-powerful Jedi/Sith is not going to call some-one "Hun" ><).

While doing so, the problems associated with just changing gender-flags became clear - especially since dialogue was only recorded with Male Revan romance in mind. the original mod just cut dialogue completely, or had a silent response - this wasn't good enough for me so I completely re-wrote a lot of Revan's dialogue options (the technical side of the modding got the better of me I'm afraid and it's been on the back-back-burner ever since), and edited some of Bastila's audio responses - some came out brilliantly, others passable but not great.

So, um, wahat was I saying? Oh, right, I can totally see how just disabling gender-flags is not ideal.

As for who i would like to see - for us girls at least, I can't speak for the guys. In no particular order:

Kira,

Vette,

Elara,

Kira,

Mako,

Elara,

Temple,

Kira,

Nadia,

Elara,

Vette,

And incase I forgot them - Kira, Elara, Vette :D

I kinda like Kaliyo, but not for long-term happily ever after material. It would be awesome if they did a Pierce/Quinn type situation but with Kaliyo/Temple for us girls (and of course Pierce/Quinn for the boys) -it seems sometimes that the straight guys get all the triangle options (I'm looking at you Jade Empire), with the straight girls slowly gaining ground.

I finally finished my cyborg BH storyline, so am ready and waiting to roll my cyborg Jedi knight and (hopefully) spend Christmas with Kira - pretty please Bioware?

I think what they meant by that was that they wouldn't just switch of the gender-flag, and re-using existing audio thereby taking the easy way out not necessarily that it won't be with existing companions - some of whom were already slated for sgras.

For my own amusement I began altering the existing Bastila/Female Revan KoTOR mod (Which was a great start but was done by a straight guy afaik, and some of the added player dialogue reflected that. Sorry, but an all-powerful Jedi/Sith is not going to call some-one "Hun" ><).

While doing so, the problems associated with just changing gender-flags became clear - especially since dialogue was only recorded with Male Revan romance in mind. the original mod just cut dialogue completely, or had a silent response - this wasn't good enough for me so I completely re-wrote a lot of Revan's dialogue options (the technical side of the modding got the better of me I'm afraid and it's been on the back-back-burner ever since), and edited some of Bastila's audio responses - some came out brilliantly, others passable but not great.

So, um, wahat was I saying? Oh, right, I can totally see how just disabling gender-flags is not ideal.

As for who i would like to see - for us girls at least, I can't speak for the guys. In no particular order:

Kira,

Vette,

Elara,

Kira,

Mako,

Elara,

Temple,

Kira,

Nadia,

Elara,

Vette,

And incase I forgot them - Kira, Elara, Vette :D

I kinda like Kaliyo, but not for long-term happily ever after material. It would be awesome if they did a Pierce/Quinn type situation but with Kaliyo/Temple for us girls (and of course Pierce/Quinn for the boys) -it seems sometimes that the straight guys get all the triangle options (I'm looking at you Jade Empire), with the straight girls slowly gaining ground.

I finally finished my cyborg BH storyline, so am ready and waiting to roll my cyborg Jedi knight and (hopefully) spend Christmas with Kira - pretty please Bioware?

I'm a guy, and that's my list too. *fistbump* :D

That being said, I still have a blast thinking about who can and can't be available. So, in the name of returning some of the fun into this thread, who do you guys want to be with in a SGRA?

Let's see,

Kira, Kaliyo (though I think I'm the only one xD), either one of the SW ladies (though, Jaesa maybe a bit more b/c I think she needs more character dev beyond "LS/DS" and hopefully new dialog would help).

[*]How can we, as players interested in this content, assure our concerns are heard by those able to address them?

VERY VERY Simple Answer: Have everyone that supports SAME SEX ROMANCE that were disappointed it didn't come in 1.4 as previously promised, POST NEW THREADS about SAME SEX ROMANCE in all part of the FORUM. Since the SAME SEX ROMANCE threads are ALWAYS REDIRECTED or CLOSED, that means the MODS are looking for them. THEREFORE, all we have to do is BOMB the FORUM with POSTS and BIOWARE will have NO CHOICE but to ADDRESS THE ISSUE!!

If you're with me, let me now and we'll start this weekend! =D

Why do my romantic options have to be limited to my crew anyway?

My smuggler for example has an underdeveloped back story involving multiple (failed) marrages, adopted kids and a general abundance of commitment issues which is seriously under represented in my legacy family options.

My suggestion would be to fire a few new ineractable (?) characters into the game. Not recognised as crew companions they could be independant of any one classes story arc, living their own lives on the different worlds and available with unique story and dialog to anyone who 1) seeks the out and 2) makes the committed effort to make that casual aquaintence into a romantically involved companion (and lover?)

The options there are surely much wider, LGBT and the obvious starters, but story driven long distance relationships, some of which can not ever be 'consumated' by distance, technology, faction or whatever your imagination can handle become a possibility.

If you're with me, let me now and we'll start this weekend! =D

Wu, I think you are late to the party.

One, SGRs were never promised for 1.4. All that was announced for companions in 1.4 was match armor to chest and hide head slot. That's it.

Two, SGRs are confirmed as coming with the story update and Makeb. We don't know what patch number that will be, but it is probably at least two down the road from now.

Three, they aren't closing posts anymore, as long as these have a particular focus beyond our discussion here. For instance, one I made in order to clarify Makeb rumors was allowed to run its course just like any other thread.

So they have been addressing it, obliquely. We are still on track to see SGR this year.

Wu, I think you are late to the party.

One, SGRs were never promised for 1.4. All that was announced for companions in 1.4 was match armor to chest and hide head slot. That's it.

Two, SGRs are confirmed as coming with the story update and Makeb. We don't know what patch number that will be, but it is probably at least two down the road from now.

Three, they aren't closing posts anymore, as long as these have a particular focus beyond our discussion here. For instance, one I made in order to clarify Makeb rumors was allowed to run its course just like any other thread.

So they have been addressing it, obliquely. We are still on track to see SGR this year.

Where is this proof of same sex romances coming? Show me proof from the mouth of Bioware themselves.

Where is this proof of same sex romances coming? Show me proof from the mouth of Bioware themselves.

Neither mention occurred on these forums (then again, no announcement regarding SGR has, unless you count community rep reposts of the Stephen Reid announcement). One was spotted by a thread regular and reposted here as a video link. The other was confirmation of those remarks, yesterday, by Hall Hood via Twitter.

Principal Lead PvP Designer Gabe Amatangelo gave this short statement at the close of an interview which was mostly about the coming Warzone, Ancient Hypergates:

[swtor-life.com interview at Gamescom 2012, August 15–19]

Um, the same-sex relationship stuff, there is – I think it is in Makeb? In the new update, I think there is some stuff in there. But I don't know exactly. I'm not, not a writer. That's sort of the aspect that I am farthest from. But it really comes down to just getting it on the schedule and getting that content into the game

Lead Writer Hall Hood was asked if he could verify that SGRs would in fact be coming with Makeb, and replied laconically:

[via Twitter, Sept. 25 2012]

Hall Hood ‏@hallhood

(1 of 2) To all the folks who have been expressing interest in SGRs, here is the official word from Gabe Amatangelo:

(2 of 2) When I can share more information, I will let you know. Writing romances is one of my favorite things about working on SWTOR. :-)

We had been speculating here that "new story comes with Makeb" + "SGRs come with new story this year" = "SGRs come with Makeb". Then Gabe A. made that informal remark, but seemed uncertain and gave the caveat that he's not a story guy. We asked Hall Hood, who is the Story Guy, if this Makeb leak was accurate. He says it is. So there we have it.

Edited by Uluain

Oh, no doubt. That's why I put the quotation marks around the word. :)

I'm straight myself, although some people have started to question that after I Facebook'd a photo of myself in what appears to be a gay kiss. :rak_03:

I just like challenging gender norms, and I've been growing rather shameless in recent years.

Well, assuming that there'll be one female character with a SGR per class, and a lot of classes only have one female companion, the actual choices would have to be...

Risha or Akaavi. No preference.

Vette or Jaesa. Probably Vette.

Kailyo or Raina. Again, no preference, because I haven't played the class yet.

For male characters, I can say probably Corso for the Smuggler. Bounty Hunter doesn't really have any good options, in my opinion, unless one finds Gault appealing. The rest of the classes I simply haven't played enough to say.

Oh, that reminds me of my most recent playthrough. I decided to give the Bastila/FemRev mod available a shot, and I do remember it being pretty terrible at times.

Edited by JediMB

Agent: Vector (Lokin's too... platonic to be a romance), Kaliyo and Raina

SW: Pierce and Vette

Sorc: It has to be Ashara and Andronikus

Bounty Hunter: Mako and Torian, same as above

Pierce? Wouldn't he just do the same thing he does with the FemWarrior? I'd say Quinn's more likely. (At least I'd hope it'd be Quinn that would be enough to get me to play a male SW. I love my female SW too much right now).

As for Andronkius... ;_; my poor SI surrounded by crazies.