Marksman To Engineering

HonorThyGamer

I wanted to spec into Engineering right from the start, but looking at the skills it seemed like I wasn't really going to be pumping out serious damage for a while so I focused on Marksmanship. Can anyone tell me the ideal level for switching to Engineering? I enjoy the damage I do with Marksmanship, but I made this character because I wanted to focus on AoE damage and experience what many have told me is one of the best stories in the game.

I'd say at level 25 when you can spec into Imperial Methodology(the extra cluster bombs). Did the same thing you are doing and loved it, great aoe damage with fragmentation grenade spam and those cluster bombs burn strongs/elites down quickly.

Thanks for the advice. I'll hold off on a respec until I get to 25. I'm not really having any difficulties specced into Marksmanship so leveling isn't an issue.

At 30 to 40 go back to MM, FT is too good to give it up.

Yeah, I was (and still am) able to solo heroic 2+'s as I leveled, including handling champions. This includes the section X and Ilum 2+'s now. It's just sick single-target damage.

In warzones, I never put up 450-600k damage because most of my damage is single target only, but I 'know' the contributions I make, especially if I'm allowed to 'free cast'.

In warzones, I never put up 450-600k damage because most of my damage is single target only, but I 'know' the contributions I make, especially if I'm allowed to 'free cast'.

This might be a good as place as any for encouraging MM, this happens if you're left alone in Voidstar:

http://i.imgur.com/Zh0FFAf.jpg

IIRC I forgot to use OS on CD, so that is mostly single target damage, for some reason I was left alone most of the time ^^

I do more total damage in Engineer, but I feel more efficient 95% of the time as MM. Often my kill shots are 40-50% of total kills!

Yeah, as a moderately new 50 ( coming up on two weeks) I've been baaad at remembering frag grenades. I've been better the past couple days. Part of it I think, is I never need to use them on my PvE dailies so I got grenade amnesia Edited by islander

I wanted to spec into Engineering right from the start, but looking at the skills it seemed like I wasn't really going to be pumping out serious damage for a while so I focused on Marksmanship. Can anyone tell me the ideal level for switching to Engineering? I enjoy the damage I do with Marksmanship, but I made this character because I wanted to focus on AoE damage and experience what many have told me is one of the best stories in the game.

You can go swap to full engi once you have enough points for Plasma Probe for the aoe fun :) I often respec to Full Engi on off nights where I just do dailies and stuff and just spam frag grenade (2/2 Engineer's toolbelt) , and plasma probe on the adds :p. And then you have good single target as well with Cluster bombs and SoS (talented).

Edited by paowee

For when to level as engineering, as soon as you get the cooldown reduction on frag nade (i.e., right away). MM really has little in the lower parts of the tree that help you defeat foes faster. It's mostly survivability related talents. Lower cooldown on frag nade and bonus AOE damage in engineering is immediately helpful and clearing trash.

I do more total damage in Engineer, but I feel more efficient 95% of the time as MM. Often my kill shots are 40-50% of total kills!

I find this too, with MM your total damage numbers aren't that high but when you want to kill someone you can. I often get kill shots on about 1/2 of my total kills.

The spec also makes healers run for their lives when they loose 1/2 their life in the timespan of a GCD.

Engineer is a better "team" spec in that it is about control and playing for the objectives. You can really deny people from capping objectives for a long time.

I've been engineering spec for a while, but never thought that the cooldown on frag grenade would be any use. They don't set off cluster bomb charges, and do take quite a bit of energy. Why use them vigorously? Edited by ekimmak

I've been engineering spec for a while, but never thought that the cooldown on frag grenade would be any use. They don't set off cluster bomb charges, and do take quite a bit of energy. Why use them vigorously?

Because they are great at clearing trash mobs. If you hit more than 2 foes, they're extremely efficient. With the standard group of foes in PVE being 3 normals, it works great.

Edited by Infalliable

Because they are great at clearing trash mobs. If you hit more than 2 foes, they're extremely efficient. With the standard group of foes in PVE being 3 normals, it works great.

This and 45 seconds on flashbang can be nice! 10 extra energy = little worth since energy problems rarely I run into them and can be solved by adrenaline probe every minute lol.

I've been engineering spec for a while, but never thought that the cooldown on frag grenade would be any use. They don't set off cluster bomb charges, and do take quite a bit of energy. Why use them vigorously?

In pvp, people want to inflate their numbers; so, the spam nades. If you really want to inflate ur numbers, just go Lethality and dot away.

my wh full engineer loves the frag grenades in pvp

i use them more often than a snipe

they are great for stopping cappers and their slinky aliies trying to los

they are undiscernable

they can be used on the run

engineer has things you will miss as soon as one cant use them anymore

-- interrogation probe (the slow is incredible)

--SHIELD PROBE-- my shield probe is consistently stopping 50-70k damage a game-- i sometimes even get a 75k healing medal at the end of a game

-- plasma probe-- this nifty ability has thwarted more caps than i can count; best of all-- it is a fire and forget- place it just right and no one is capping even if there is not a defender in sight-- couple the interrogation probe with the plasma probe and the engineering sniper has a sweet little 30m stun (excellent for those weenie sage/sorc healers who try to sprint away-- especially the graphic of their speed animation coming to an abrupt halt when they start eating fire for 3 secs)

what i miss from marksman when i'm engineer-- the efficiency of switching targets; an ambush that actually has some use; the hunker down ability that confuses some derpy fotm smashers; FOLLOWTHROUGH; the ability that refreshes sos? (forget name)

in the end, both are excellent specs

Edited by Daxy

Well, I currently have a level 41 Sniper at the moment, I've used Marksmanship from the start and only recently (at 40) specced into Engineering to try. It's an amazing spec for PvP no doubt about it, and it's also pretty damn good for powering through PvE, with the AoE of Plasma probe, frag grenade and suppresive fire, you mow your way through normal mobs. Though, at times I feel like I've got nothing left to use once I've used my probes etc, feels like going way back to the beginning where I had to use snipe only, and for that reason I shall be continuing to level with MM.

EDIT: Just to make it clear though, Engineering is extremely good in PvP, it basically allows you to 1v1 and win just about any class given you don't get LOS'd

EDIT2: I also really miss the 60% reduction in AoE damage when entrench is active, it's rather amusing to laugh at smashmonkeys when they hit somewhat below they were expecting.

Edited by Jayshames