Need -> Companion -> Greed / Disassemble > Pass

Doesn't it seem like a companion-specific roll ought to be added in between need and greed?

I certainly don't want to hit need for a companion item if I'm not sure if someone in my group actually needs it for themself

By the same ticket, if I just hit greed along with the others, I don't know if people are rolling for companions, vendor, looks, or what

Most of the time I'll wait and see if others pass/greed roll while I'm checking to see if the item could be of use to my companion(s) then type out "Gonna take for companion if nobody minds" or some such. It's kind of cumbersome.

Feels like the option should be added, since companions are a big part of everyone's soloing.

No there's absolutely no point in adding companion roll option since everybody will just hit that option given that among the 5 different companions that everybody has they can pretty much use every piece of gear.

So in essence everybody would just hit companion in order to get a chance to win the item - it would essentially become the new greed and you would never be able to take advantage of disassembles because of this.

I could see it perhaps working in guild groups but in PUGs it would be terrible. In guild groups you can just talk it out anyways so new option is not needed.

I agree with the OP.

I too would like to gear my companions without "needing" on an item roll.

I also wouldn't be too worried about people overusing it, since companion gear progresses just like everyone else. Outside of quests, it's really hard to get good companion gear.

No there's absolutely no point in adding companion roll option since everybody will just hit that option given that among the 5 different companions that everybody has they can pretty much use every piece of gear.

So much fail here I don't even know where to begin. Just as an example, the BH's companions all use the exact same AIM/EDU stats (with Mako being the exception) So right there, anything with STR or WILL is not going to be getting rolled on by a BH...

On topic, I agree with this suggestion. My +1!

Edited by Katalystika

So much fail here I don't even know where to begin. Just as an example, the BH's companions all use the exact same AIM/EDU stats (with Mako being the exception) So right there, anything with STR or WILL is not going to be getting rolled on by a BH...

On topic, I agree with this suggestion. My +1!

yeah and the universe revolves completely around all bh groups all the time.

So in essence everybody would just hit companion in order to get a chance to win the item - it would essentially become the new greed and you would never be able to take advantage of disassembles because of this.

I could see it perhaps working in guild groups but in PUGs it would be terrible. In guild groups you can just talk it out anyways so new option is not needed.

Talking it out is not the best option when you're on a roll timer, and someone else might be debating if they personally need the item.

Many companions use similar stats of your own character. For imperial side, at least, only the sith warrior has companions that actually use each of the 4 prime stats. Even so, I doubt people will try to gear up every companion - I personally only have and continue to use one of them. Aside from her (Mako) I have been giving one of them my hand-me-down gear (Blizz) and grabbing the occasional random bit for a dps one (Gault). I really have no impetus to bother trying to gear up the other 2.

I disagree completely that it would become the new 'greed' roll. People are not as careless and loot-driven as you seem to assert. The only loot-related issues I've come across when grouping with people is some of them being confused as to *what* to use (bounty hunters rolling on strength gear, etc.), and that's not malicious intent, just newbieness.

Edited by Salmissra

Talking it out is not the best option when you're on a roll timer, and someone else might be debating if they personally need the item.

Many companions use similar stats of your own character. For imperial side, at least, only the sith warrior has companions that actually use each of the 4 prime stats. Even so, I doubt people will try to gear up every companion - I personally only have and continue to use one of them. Aside from her (Mako) I have been giving one of them my hand-me-down gear (Blizz) and grabbing the occasional random bit for a dps one (Gault). I really have no impetus to bother trying to gear up the other 2.

I disagree completely that it would become the new 'greed' roll. People are not as careless and loot-driven as you seem to assert. The only loot-related issues I've come across when grouping with people is some of them being confused as to *what* to use (bounty hunters rolling on strength gear, etc.), and that's not malicious intent, just newbieness.

Easy solution: "If a STR piece drops that <companion name> can use, can I need?" That gives you more than enough time and that is BEFORE the boss.

I thought something like this would be suggested. It's dumb. There's no reason for companions to have uber gear. This is a non-issue. Companions are used for soloing, not for raiding or most flashpoints (unless you can solo some stuff). There's plenty of quests that give out companion gear. There's even lvl 50 heroic quests that gives out orange weapons for everyone of your companions and it's repeatable. No companion roll option needed. There's also plenty of stuff available for purchase through credits/commendations.

But of course, try to post something to fill a void and some people immediately leap upon it as if it would personally destroy the game. So whatever.

Considering companions do plenty of damage themselves and are not used at all in post-30 group content except for the special snowflake cases, you don't NEED to gear them up as bad as you think. If its that bad, use commendations or you know, ASK YOUR DAMNED GROUP FIRST.

The priority of companions will always be on the level of greed. It's for your own purposes, it's not helping any group at all. Need is based on your class, the level of content, and your spec. Considering that companions are not used in any operations or flashpoints (unless you get a kick out of doing stuff with less actual people in content made for a full group, ie your personal kicks) it would still be on the greed priority level. Unless anyone who actually needs it for their character already has it or better. Which could then be discussed in as much time as offspec rolls do as they arrive.

I realize that this may be some people's first MMO, and as such might be new to the different ways things are handled due to group-based content. The companions do make for an interesting solo distraction (and even help), but that doesn't mean companions should be geared up with more priority than a selfish reason. It isn't needy. It's greedy.

If they were to add this then they'd need to fix companion comparative tooltips to show all your companiosn with that stat, not just your active companion. It would be a nice addition to the game and the people against it are just whinging for the sake of whinging or simply because it's a change and obiously change = bad. But don't expect it any time soon, if at all. Edited by KaiHeilos

The use of an option to roll for companions would helpful in the situations the original poster described. I do not understand how this option can be abused as most offenders are suggesting. Companion rolling is not the same as greed rolling, figuring not all gear is useful for every class.

To clarify; willpower gear is only useful to sell it on my smuggler, therefore I roll greed. Certain classes can make greater use of it by gearing up their companions. They are, however, forced to greed-roll with me.

Talking it out is not an option as there is a loot-timer and discussing every piece of loot beforehand is just too mind-numbing. Passing on the roll would not be an option as I wouldnt want to miss out on the credits if nobody needs it for themselves or their companions.

This is, ofcourse, based on the notion that companion gear is more important than credits/disassemble and there is no difference between your main companion and other companions.

Edited by Moolah

I'm not adverse to change. I'm adverse to dumb change. There's no need for another option. Is there an offspec button? No. Why should there be a companion button? It's the same logic to be asking for an offspec button as it is asking for a companion button. But there's really no need for it. Fundamentally, all rolls are either for need or greed/disassemble purposes. I've been in situations where offspec rolls have been rolled need, and no one has complained, I doubt people will be up in arms for companions being /rollneeded (at least in the instance of everyone's toons being geared or has the item in question). Over time this will be a non-issue.

This isn't anything new if you see the lack of a offspec button being a non-issue too.

If talking is such a good option why is there any option? Just talk it ALL out.

The simple idea is that someone can use it for a companion, it's better than the minuscule sale value. True it is not more important than RE, so make it on an even level. Companion rolls just don't break the item down.

A lot of people seem to be assuming that every conversation is applying to max level characters.

This can apply to a level 4 group in a heroic area.

The fact the OP states "since companions are a big part of everyone's soloing." tend to indicate to me it's not about max level characters.

And what's this "good for the group" thing? Everyone is there to get stuff for themselves, right?

Even thinking that way, then the last boss loot should be anything goes because the group no longer "needs" anything from each other :p

And if someone is filling a role in their off spec, probably because it's needed in the group, you really wouldn't let them need loot for their main role?

A lot of people seem to be assuming that every conversation is applying to max level characters.

This can apply to a level 4 group in a heroic area.

You can't have a companion at level 4. Assuming we are talking about endgame, post-50 content:

Here's the way i see things: if you are partaking in a group, and you are not using your companion, and a piece of loot drops that no player in the group is going to equip on their toon, these are the following reasons why someone might want it:

-to equip on their companion

-to sell for credits, be it to vendor or on AH

-to disassemble for mats/schematics

assuming you're still following my logic, consider the consequences of each of these reasons for wanting the piece of loot:

-a stronger companion allows you to solo faster, or even do instances with fewer than the recommended number of players using a companion. Ultimately, though, both of these possibilities simply result in a daily quest being completed quicker or party members having to share loot with fewer players.

-repair costs? no biggy - this 6k vendor trash will make those repair woes all better. You want that new shiny that someone just put up on the AH for 5k more than you have in your purse? no biggy - this 5k vendor trash will seal the deal for you.

-more mats and cool schematics = better gear made to be equipped on player/companion and/or sold for credits.

See where i'm going here? No matter why you think you want that shiny purple that dropped, it will ultimately come down to your personal greed for credits. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WEAR IT! As soon as that distinction has been made, it's only as valuable to you or your companion as it is to the next guy who needs to repair his raid gear.

Speaking from experience, i'm personally sick and tired of friends, guildies, and puggers alike needing on epics for their companions as if their companions, that contributed absolutely nothing to the acquiring of said epic, deserve it more than I deserve a CHANCE at the epic's credit value.

TDLR: Your companion doesn't deserve a piece of gear that no one in the group is going to wear anymore than I deserve that piece of gear's credit value. If you want to ninja an epic for your companion, you ought to pay everyone in the group WHO SPENT THEIR TIME AND ENERGY ACQUIRING THAT LOOT credits.

You can't have a companion at level 4. Assuming we are talking about endgame, post-50 content

I think I could get a companion at level 4 ;) If only as a guest

You are correct though, I was just thinking of the lowest possible level people might be grouping up for heroic content, but 4 is still low for that. I don't think this is referring to end game content, but even then, I think it's not unreasonable.

See where i'm going here? No matter why you think you want that shiny purple that dropped, it will ultimately come down to your personal greed for credits. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WEAR IT! As soon as that distinction has been made, it's only as valuable to you or your companion as it is to the next guy who needs to repair his raid gear.

I think you are the only one here with a personal greed for credit.

You would rather have 6k credits for yourself, which would take how long long to get at level 50? 10 minutes? 20? How long would it take, and how much would it cost to buy that same purple "vendor trash"? The very fact you could think of a rare item as vendor trash is amazing.

You obviously think very selfishly if you assume people do content with companions so they don't have to share the loot with real people. Some of your friends, guildies and pug people seem to think needing for companions is an OK practice. I'm sure some people were against the DE/RE option in there as well.

I think the point of the whole system is that if an item can be used used it's better than just selling it for 10 or 5% of its value.

Getting a good item is one of the little up moments in these kind of games.

Can you tell me that selling "vendor trash" is? Do people say "grats on the armor repair"?

Edited by Evgen

Strange how some people are making it out to be some horrible game breaking issue if companion loot rolls took priority over what effectively turn into vendor rolls.

As it stands I tend to just roll greed on the relevant companion appropriate gear and just hope I win it given there was no agreement for the group to roll for companion gear if no one needed it themselves.

That said one of my friends rolls need on companion gear once everyone has passed without even asking which I disagree with on principle.

I would say if anything BOE gear should be exempt from companion rolls then it would be fine for secondary rolls to be for companions. This would still also mean the group could trade you for said items if they were happy to. I politely asked if I could have an item(a BOE) a group member won for my companion and the player agreed to trade me for it yesterday.

*edit* Also has some people have mentioned this discussion shouldn't be exclusive to level 50 players.

Another thing that is reasonable to bring into play is how some people enjoy gearing their companions and if it is not adversely effecting other players(aside from a couple of 1000 lost from vendor loot) then it isn't really unreasonable to ask that players be given another roll option for companions.

Edited by Bobty