The fate of Skank Tanks in 6.0

Kraysk

I'm not sure where this thread belongs so just made it here.

Let's talk about what can be done to make life of those who play such hybrids easier.

Set bonuses tied to shells is already great deal.

But can we go further?

Maybe, Immortal & Darkness sets variants that come with DPS stats?

What do you think?

how about no. Skank tanks have throttle the meta for pvp for some time. Especially since heal/dps hybrids are not viable. They are the only role that gets to double dip in the best of both worlds. A skank jugg can hit for 25k+ but then have a dcd cycle to match any tank. At this point they dont need to be in the game, there could be variance in types of tanks within their role but this role creep with dps stats is not what is needed.

How about No? Who gives this right? If I choose to use DPS mods, armoring and enhancements then I do, and no one should have that right to change my idea of my type of modding. Yes, currently we are allowed to mod the set bonus gear as we wish. Additionally there is actual set bonus gear for pvp aspects where you can add in your tanking mods accordingly. As a High Endurance Tank, I will be wanting to add what I wish to add to my gear. And if others don't like it, then oh well. At the end of the day, it is all about "PLAY YOUR WAY", is it not?

And why would I want to make my tanks just like anyone else's set up? That is utter foolishness, nor is that the way of the Sith ;)

Eric, Devs, what say you?

• 5 months later...

Hello there!

Playing hybrids from the tree era, I'm here to give some light on the subject.

This is what I concluded gearing:

Berserker's 4 pieces for: +2% critical, +3% all damage dealt +6% damage received

Tormented 2 pieces for : +2% Power

Amplified Champion's 1 piece for: Armor penetration Amplifier

Armorings: 306 Immortal's max endurance

Mods: 306 Vengeance/Fury max endurance>power

Enchantments: 306 Vengeance/Fury max endurance>critical

Relics: Focus retribution and serendipitous assault

Ear and Implant: 306 Vengeance/Fury max endurance>critical>power

Tactical: Grit Teeth

Amplifiers: Armor Penetration Max

Augments: 14x Critical>Power

Have Fun:)

Yeah skanks bring problems to the game. I think they should be broken, not supported. Tanks are for holding agro and mitigating damage, not deal copious amounts of damage. Edited by Nemmar

For all those complaining, its part of the game, so deal with it. If you cant beat them, then join them. Dont get mad because someone is smarter than you and figured out how to get the best of both classes. And another note, skank tanking is so much fun!!!!!!!!! With 6.0 you dont even have to have to use tank gear, just throw a dps set on a tank and bam you can pull just about the same numbers as a dps spec while having the mitigation of a tank. really who wouldnt like that???i

For all those complaining, its part of the game, so deal with it. If you cant beat them, then join them. Dont get mad because someone is smarter than you and figured out how to get the best of both classes. And another note, skank tanking is so much fun!!!!!!!!! With 6.0 you dont even have to have to use tank gear, just throw a dps set on a tank and bam you can pull just about the same numbers as a dps spec while having the mitigation of a tank. really who wouldnt like that???i

Using *skank* or any other not supposted to exist build in game is not being smarter than others, its more like exploit. Yet still they are not as broken as people seem to think. I tried PT skank once, and I regret it a lot. 1st, because I feel bad with it, and 2nd I got very very disappointed of it. I got too used to AP bursty playstyle.

Edited by sebakonkol

Everybody exploit the game as much as you can!!!

By the way hybrids was the way to go in the begging of the game with the tree points, so don't everyone start bull******** that those things dont suppose to exist.

Try to find exploits, built hybrids, be smarter that everyone else and slay the basics :wea_03:

Using *skank* or any other not supposted to exist build in game is not being smarter than others, its more like exploit. Yet still they are not as broken as people seem to think. I tried PT skank once, and I regret it a lot. 1st, because I feel bad with it, and 2nd I got very very disappointed of it. I got too used to AP bursty playstyle.

What? A skank isnt just a better dps version of a tank capable class? I'd never have guessed?! /sarcasm

I'm sick and tired of the idiocy in here that don't know what a Tank IS. A Tank should be able to take and Give out damage. Some people should look at a Tank in military terms. Most people are f'ing sick and tired of not doing enough damage. You want to just sit and take damage, then you can do that and look stupid by not being able to do damage. But the rest of us won't bother to play our Tanks because we never are able to do the damage were supposed to do.

Educate yourselves as to what a Tank is militarily, as it should also apply in-game. shut up and let us play the way we want to, as you have no right to tell us how to play., we deserve to have our fun.

Edited by MandFlurry

we deserve to have our fun.

In a properly tuned game the only thing you deserve is to be killed by properly tuned content for playing your role wrong.

Edit: to be clear I don't blame you for playing this way since you can get away with it. The point is the game should be designed in a way that you cannot get away with it.

Edited by FridgeLM

In a properly tuned game the only thing you deserve is to be killed by properly tuned content for playing your role wrong.

Edit: to be clear I don't blame you for playing this way since you can get away with it. The point is the game should be designed in a way that you cannot get away with it.

Educate urself in what a Tank is. Tanks are for taking damage, as well as dishing it out. 6.0 was Meant to be where we can play as we want. The game is supposed to be tuned, and has been for awhile where Tanks can also do damage, which is the way it's supposed to be. Stop ur Bs of saying people are cheating when were not. Hell, i don't even have a geared tank because of the crappy gearing system we have, and how slow it is.

When the game first came out we were able to do hybrids, so some peoples arguments are moot here, about how a tank should be. Most people will Not play a Tank unless they can do a good amount of damage, which Is what a Tank does IRL.

Tanks need to do good damage to be able to do more grouped content as well.

Edited by MandFlurry

He didnt even say you were cheating dude. Skanks are not cheating, nor are they an exploit. The point hes trying to make, and the reason for my earlier snark despite being a tank main, is that tanks should not do as much damage as a dps spec, otherwise, why would you need dps? Whatever is true of the vehicle mmo tanks are named after (and I could go into the evolution of tanks in warfare), that is the reality in game.

If you really want a slow solo grind, roll a healer.

Edited by KendraP

Educate urself in what a Tank is. Tanks are for taking damage, as well as dishing it out. 6.0 was Meant to be where we can play as we want. The game is supposed to be tuned, and has been for awhile where Tanks can also do damage, which is the way it's supposed to be. Stop ur Bs of saying people are cheating when were not. Hell, i don't even have a geared tank because of the crappy gearing system we have, and how slow it is.

When the game first came out we were able to do hybrids, so some peoples arguments are moot here, about how a tank should be. Most people will Not play a Tank unless they can do a good amount of damage, which Is what a Tank does IRL.

Tanks need to do good damage to be able to do more grouped content as well.

Wow... talk about reaching.

It was play as you want content wise. Don't go twisting the devs words. No one said you could find a way to exploit the game and that is "playing your way". That is 100% not what the devs said and why nerfs are being duly given out.

Also, what is this nonsense about a real life tank? What the hell? This is an rpg tank. It was called a tank by the players, it is not a literal tank. Go play world of tanks for that.

An rpg tank is the one that carries a shield so he can mitigate damage and keep the atention of the enemy on them, more widely known as threat. Dealing damage is the role of the damage dealers. Tank damage as refered is for gathering threat. The game plan of an rpg tank is team play. It's to keep the atention of enemies so the damage dealers can kill them. The rpg tank is not supposed to be able to kill the enemies on his own, otherwise there would be no point to having damage dealers.

The "skank" tank essentially breaks the trinity of cooperative play that is the basis of this game. That's why it's bad for the game.

Edited by Nemmar

i personally think skanks are a very intriguing play style, but heres the thing, there must be a trade off.

If you max out survivability then logically you shouldnt be able to approach the damage of those who max that. But, i have no issue with the play style being competitive, i think it brings and interesting idea to these games and makes you have to think a little more when fighting them for a more prolonged fight.

Hybrids specss and getting more creative with builds is something ive always liked, it creates new ways to play the game. i dont have any issues with it myself, saver for the fact that they shouldnt be putting out comparable damage to those who dont have thier defenses. It should be a more wear them down type style of play.

In 2.x era of this game I had a sin tank that could do and spread dots like hatred, while having shield etc. How do you explain that? This was 6 years ago.

In 2.x era of this game I had a sin tank that could do and spread dots like hatred, while having shield etc. How do you explain that? This was 6 years ago.

How do I explain it? Why should I have to explain it?

You may have had a shield on but if you went all the way to creeping terror you weren't tanking.

How do I explain it? Why should I have to explain it?

You may have had a shield on but if you went all the way to creeping terror you weren't tanking.

The point of my post was that there were always hybrid builds since the begining of the game, except now they aren't wild like they were before with the skill tree.

I had a shield on, Dark Ward ability etc, you could mix your abilities from all three skill trees. So yeah, I had a hybrid sin dot tank. :D

Edited by DzastinBiberi

The point of my post was that there were always hybrid builds since the begining of the game, except now they aren't wild like they were before with the skill tree.

I had a shield on, Dark Ward ability etc, you could mix your abilities from all three skill trees. So yeah, I had a hybrid sin dot tank. :D

So?

I can count on one hand the number of times a hybrid spec was optimal in high level content and that's being very generous. It's actually one finger, and it was the aoe damage reduction-focused Shield Tech/AP hybrid for NiM Brontes.

I don't care what you were goofing around with in low level content where the game doesn't care what you do and you can valor box if you want. As soon as group compositions are enforced things should be tuned to force people into the roles required. If they refuse the game should kill them. Any instance where the players get away with breaking roles is a design failure.

So?

I can count on one hand the number of times a hybrid spec was optimal in high level content and that's being very generous. It's actually one finger, and it was the aoe damage reduction-focused Shield Tech/AP hybrid for NiM Brontes.

I don't care what you were goofing around with in low level content where the game doesn't care what you do and you can valor box if you want. As soon as group compositions are enforced things should be tuned to force people into the roles required. If they refuse the game should kill them. Any instance where the players get away with breaking roles is a design failure.

Measuring the game by optimal is going to leave a short list regardless. In any game, the classes/specs allowed for the highest level of content is limited to best in class eliminating most specs whether hybrid or not.

The one thing classic WoW taught us, is that people like options, not forced cookie cutter builds. But not everything is measured by NiM, or Mythic, or whatever supposed highest level content you want to discuss which is by definition a very narrow scope under the best circumstances.