Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

DeVanagloris
08.18.2019 , 09:55 AM | #1
Every time i make a new character (yes, im a bit of an altaholic) i just fear the moment i have to name it. I admit it, im somewhat special and hard to please when it comes to names, i suppose it's the same for most ppl here, but anyway i'm sure there are plenty of names which are currently locked simply because the game need to have a name purge.

I think this is long overdue. Just when you find a perfect name for that toon, then it's taken, and plenty of those nams you never ever see them in game. So please, perform a name purge, something like those toons which havent been logged in for more than 2 years lose their name, imo it's a bout time.

And let's not get started on how scarce are rename sales...
This is my referral link here:
Referral link
You can get all sort of FREE STUFF!! and GOODIES!! by clicking it, no matter you are new or returning player. You also get 7 DAYS of FREE SUBSCRIPTION!!

JediQuaker
08.18.2019 , 10:51 AM | #2
There are a few things you can do:
1. Stop trying to use common names that everyone else has already thought of, like Fred or Bob. (Actually, simple names like Bob or Fred are more apt to be available, but, anyway..)
2. Use characters like " ' " or spaces, or similar to make the name similar but different - such as Quaker becomes Qua'ker or Quak'er. (But don't use ALT characters because it makes some things trickier.)
3. There are still lots of names available, especially if you think outside the "star warsy" box. For example, I recently made a new (female) Guardian alt for grins. One of my favourite tennis players is Hsieh Su-wei, so I named the Guardian Hseih (accidentally got the e and i backwards) Shu (Su - no h - was too short and I think the dash can't be used for -wei), so "Hseih Shu"** she is.

On an unrelated note, I wanted the character to look Chinese, but there seems to be very few Asian-y faces.

** I am aware that Hsieh is the tennis player's surname and Su-wei is actually her first name.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

xordevoreaux
08.18.2019 , 11:44 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by DeVanagloris View Post
Every time i make a new character (yes, im a bit of an altaholic) i just fear the moment i have to name it. I admit it, im somewhat special and hard to please when it comes to names, i suppose it's the same for most ppl here, but anyway i'm sure there are plenty of names which are currently locked simply because the game need to have a name purge.

I think this is long overdue. Just when you find a perfect name for that toon, then it's taken, and plenty of those nams you never ever see them in game. So please, perform a name purge, something like those toons which havent been logged in for more than 2 years lose their name, imo it's a bout time.

157 characters across 4 accounts.
Most have first and last names as part of their first name.
Only had a name collision once.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

SteveTheCynic
08.18.2019 , 12:08 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
** I am aware that Hsieh is the tennis player's surname and Su-wei is actually her first name.
Hsieh is the tennis player's *family* name, and Su-wei is her *given* name, but yes. Not to mention that her name is, in any event, 謝淑薇.

Getting back on topic... OP says that a name purge is needed. OP is wrong. OP's problem arises about 10904%(1) from that claim of being "special" and in general picky about names, while not also being original.

Exploit the features of the name system:
  • You can compose names as elements separated by one or more apostrophes and/or one or more hyphens. Example: Yen'reerr'traa or Be'bop'alula or Xalari'pelarth
  • You can compose names as two sub-names separated by a space. Example: Kylara Nightsong or Kylarina Lyuze
  • The sub-names can also be composed of elements separated by apostrophes and/or hyphens.
  • You can mash the random button a few times to generate an interesting-sounding name and then use the sound. Example: Flopialis from the generator sounds like Floppy Alice which is invalid but Floppy Alyce is allowed.
  • You can push buttons on random name generators on the Internet, and get inspiration from arbitrary sources elsewhere. Example: my misadventures with a grotesquely P2W mobile game combined with a cyberpunk-inspired name generator somewhere and gave me Theodosa Astarte.

(1) I might be wrong here. It could be anywhere from 10903% to 10905%.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

CaptRogue
08.18.2019 , 12:18 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DeVanagloris View Post

Not opposed somewhat to a name purge, nor a name sale but lets make sure you understand (and all those that support this) that it will NOT free up what you think it might.

First, they just did a name purge like 2yrs ago, I think it was. Correct me if I'm wrong someone, though. *I have slept quite a bit since then. lol *
Second, when they do a name purge it works like this (at least in the past):
  • No sub loses a name, no matter when they last logged on. (Ergo, all these players coming back that never cancelled their sub, or still are away from game, will not be touched. That's a LOT of names you can't have.)
  • No active preferred accounts lose their names. (Which is fair. Doesn't matter if sub or not.)
  • No active Free to Play accounts lose their names. (Same point as above.)
  • Also in the past few months, quite a LOT of players who played at like launch, or quit a couple years ago, have come back to game. Whether preferred or sub. That is also quite a few names that are now back on the reserved list, if they were free to play, and didn't lose their names in the last purge.

In a large MMO, like this, you're always going to have names that are not available. Especially the longer the game goes on.
Also just a side note, sometimes the names you are wanting may not be taken by other players, but just the "naming filter" blocking them. (Names like popular SW names, real life figures, people from history past, etc...are NOT allowed either. Nor is names that are like xxDarkbanditxx, etc...All those are stated as against the ToS/RoC.)

As the above poster stated, use ', or add a letter. I honestly use alt+codes and rarely have problems with it. I usually stick with the certain type alt codes & go from there.
Interested in 7 FREE days added to your account, plus a FREE Server Transfer & a CM box of unlocks? Follow this LINK!!

annabethchase
08.18.2019 , 12:42 PM | #6
You are 100% accurate. They need to name purge on a regular basis. It's not cool to ask random strangers to know you as akdjfiogniounreuiobvw because that was the only name you could find.
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

annabethchase
08.18.2019 , 12:48 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
...[*]You can compose names as elements separated by one or more apostrophes and/or one or more hyphens. Example: Yen'reerr'traa or Be'bop'alula or Xalari'pelarth
Those aren't English names, they are meaningless streams of letters. They do not meet the definition of a name: "a word or phrase that constitutes the distinctive designation of a person or thing".

The reason they don't work as names is the random sequence of letters and symbols doesn't connect within anyone's mind to enable them to recognize that combination of letters as representing a specific player. All these do is convey the impression that character is either not an English speaker or a gold farmer or both. Hardly the OP's intent when choosing a character name.
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

Damask_Rose
08.18.2019 , 01:14 PM | #8
While a name purge would be nice, it's not likely to net you the names you desire. There are a lot of active players with a lot of characters out there.

I have found great success using random name generators for specific Star Wars species. So, for instance, when I make my new Nautolans I will use a random Nautolan name generator. That said, I would really like to have either a rename sale or a server transfer sale. I used alt code letters for awhile and I would prefer to replace those with a first name last name combination so people can actually type my characters' names out.

CaptRogue
08.18.2019 , 01:30 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Those aren't English names, they are meaningless streams of letters. They do not meet the definition of a name: "a word or phrase that constitutes the distinctive designation of a person or thing".

The reason they don't work as names is the random sequence of letters and symbols doesn't connect within anyone's mind to enable them to recognize that combination of letters as representing a specific player. All these do is convey the impression that character is either not an English speaker or a gold farmer or both. Hardly the OP's intent when choosing a character name.
Um....LOL

Okay you are using the real world's definition of a name, in a pixel created universe, based on a Sci-Fi universe. Those name rules do not apply. Look at all the weird names Star Wars characters have had. So yes, those he gave could very well be Star Wars names. Especially if they're an alien/non-humanoid race.

Nor do they convey the player is non English speaking, or that they are a gold farmer. In fact the gold farmer example is actually the name you gave above the post I quoted...Which was just a ridiculous, inaccurate post about names. There are plenty of names that I can go right now & create that are, as you want to define, real names. Just a ' or - or alt code & voila. Or I might not even have to do that depending on the name created.

So no your points are not even valid for this topic. Other than you support a name purge. Which is perfectly fine.
Interested in 7 FREE days added to your account, plus a FREE Server Transfer & a CM box of unlocks? Follow this LINK!!

robertthebard
08.18.2019 , 04:38 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post

What? So English is the only language that has names? When did that happen? I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that, if it weren't for the fact that the devs speak English, the game should actually be in Basic, which in that galaxy far far away is most assuredly not English.

On a more related note, what happens when the names that the OP, and everyone else clamoring for a purge, aren't freed up? The last time I saw this happen, people were pushing to change the rules so that they could lay claim to the names that the purge didn't free up. Or, and this is funnier, complaining that someone else beat them to it, and it's "not fair".
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?