Telekenetic Throw Animation: Change it to this!

Nidous

OMG YESS!!! That is exactly what it should be! If Bioware actually listened to this and changed it to this i would be so happy. Throwing an endless stream of pebbles at an enemy isn't fun, but continuously chucking huge boulders into an enemy's face with the force... Please change it.

I like that idea, the small pebble throwing - I've never liked, and it's not a 'throw'. Project and Telekinetic Throw names should be switched, because it makes more sense.

I like your concept for Project, re-name it what it should be - Telekinetic Throw.

Take the Project name, and give it to the rain of pebbles.

This exact same thread was around a month ago, with the same link to the same animation, and the same misspelling in its title...its telekinetic, btw.

And the idea has the same problems now that it had then...First off, its essentially a looped copy of project with slight changes. Project has its problems at best. Throw is lackluster, too, but doubling down on more rocks magically pulled out of nowhere really is bothersome. Exchanging magic pebbles for magic rocks is like swapping the witch for the devil. Copying one of the worst animations or near cloning it, isnt imaginative at all. If for no other reason, when you have magic rocks coming at you, are they from project or throw? Makes it confusing. And ugly.

Also, Throw is channeled. 6 rocks = channeling? They look more discreet. Why are the two basic consular skills centered around throwing debris or rocks? At least one of them should be different. This makes them almost identical. Wrong way to go, imo. I've seen better ideas for change. But change is needed.

Edited by MirrimFaranth

There is actually already an animation that does something *very* similar to this in game already: Project Storm. If the devs really wanted to improve the animation to be something more "smashy", they could easily just steal it (and possibly replace the "summon 4 rocks at the beginning" with "summon 1 rock and chuck it").

The only problem I can imagine would be that I'm not entirely sure that the devs are capable of shortening animations; the game engine might simply not be able to handle it. Force Lightning, TK Throw, and all of the other channeled abilities with variable animation times are simply continuous effects. In order for a "new" animation to be aesthetically appropriate (re: you don't deal damage while the rock is being summoned because you're casting at double speed thanks to a proc like Psychic Projection), it would need to be a continuous effect, not a series of discrete effects, which is always the problem with these recommended animations. They *do* look better, but they only look better and appropriate under specific circumstances; in any situation in which you have appreciable differentiation from the standard cast time, it just looks wrong. If you consider the animations under *that* circumstance, TK Throw isn't as bad as you might initially consider, but I'll agree that it could use some kind of improvements to the animation since a storm of pebbles just doesn't feel very powerful.

I don't want to be a wet sock, but I quite like TK as a concept and animation. I do agree that project would work better as a name. On the other hand, project, while being cool and all just seems highly unrealistic to me. Ripping rocks (I guess fair enough) and droids out of the ground continuously? :confused:

"These aren't the droids you are looking for."

"Well, someone took all my droids!"

"Have you tried digging? Perhaps he buried them underground all over the galaxy?"

:D:D

I don't want to be a wet sock, but I quite like TK as a concept and animation. I do agree that project would work better as a name. On the other hand, project, while being cool and all just seems highly unrealistic to me. Ripping rocks (I guess fair enough) and droids out of the ground continuously? :confused:

"These aren't the droids you are looking for."

"Well, someone took all my droids!"

"Have you tried digging? Perhaps he buried them underground all over the galaxy?"

:D:D

Classic. Good laugh.

The animation is simply stupid. And it is needlessly stupid, because there are other options. No where is it set that jedi have to throw droid scraps or magic rocks. In fact, it is just the opposite. I despise needlessly stupid things, others appear to be more tolerant of them, for whatever reason.

I personally think the animations are just fine. Tweak TK to make the rocks larger, sure but don't make a huge deal out of it.

Project is also awesome in my opinion. It reminds me of Darth Maul backing up to the door in Phantom Menace, he sees an object, force grabs it then forces it into the door control. Awesome.

If we want to have it equal to Assassin shock, then make the Assassin animation gather a ball of lightning before sending out the shock.

Edited by OrionDammit

When I think about it, Telekinetic Throw is kinda stupid right now.

Consular: "I SHALL ASSAULT YOU WITH MY PEBBLES!"

Enemy: "OH NOES! MY FAYCE HURTS!"

When Project is hurtling a huge object at them.

Not sure if I like his animation, but the current one doesn't really make sense, even if it looks nice.

I understand we need to use the Force in a non-lethal, non-painful way (since attacking with the Force would make us Sith), and a piece of the environment makes sense, but dunno about the animations either.

We've actually seen our Consulars do some pretty cool tricks with the Force in class cutscenes that I found myself wishing I could do in-game.

Edited by Xelestial_Dragon

It's an interesting idea... Still doesn't compare to Force Lightning.

Any other ideas? It's just a three second, channeled skill, so it can't be too fancy.

What if it was just a channeled Force-Push? It shoves Normal mobs back continuously (mini-push with each tic?) and Strong mobs are just semi-frozen in place with a d.o.t.?

Edited by Tedroni

I'll toss my support in for a change to Telekinetic Throw animation since its my pvp alt! The animation is lackluster and not exciting at all. I also agree shock needs to be changed to add an animation time to it like Project to even out the differences.

I'll toss my support in for a change to Telekinetic Throw animation since its my pvp alt! The animation is lackluster and not exciting at all. I also agree shock needs to be changed to add an animation time to it like Project to even out the differences.

Why would you break a functioning skill to make it even with a broken skill, instead of just fixing the one broken skill? Project is the ONE broken skill. No need to screw with anything else to fix it. Why would you piss off all the inquisitor types, AND keep a good portion of the consular types pissed? JUST fix it, and start by getting rid of the magical rock/junk throwing animation that is the root of the problem.

If you love the animation, you have to be honest. The animation takes time. It obviously needs an activation timer, that is why people have suggested switching it out with a saber throw (what is a more logical object for a jedi to throw?) or swap the disturbance and project animations. Disturbance can easily be made insta cast, and project already acts like it needs an activation timer now...but for a object throwing skill to work, as it has in other games, it REALLY needs to throw things from the current environment without magically conjuring them - cheating. And there is NO compelling case that the jedi caster class should be based on throwing junk. None. Nowhere. As an ancillary skill, MAYBE. The basis for the class? Its laughable.

But yes, lets please change them, lets just not change them for the worse. Lets learn from what is wrong with them now, and not double down on wrong...

Edited by Dyvim

I personally think the animations are just fine. Tweak TK to make the rocks larger, sure but don't make a huge deal out of it.

Project is also awesome in my opinion. It reminds me of Darth Maul backing up to the door in Phantom Menace, he sees an object, force grabs it then forces it into the door control. Awesome.

If we want to have it equal to Assassin shock, then make the Assassin animation gather a ball of lightning before sending out the shock.

Yeah, except the problem is, in the movies, its the SITH that throw junk, NOT JEDI. So yes, when I see the skill I think of DARTHs, not JEDI, just like you mention.

So doesnt it seem strange to you that the first learned, often used, jedi ranged caster skill in this game makes you immediately think of a sith first? It should seem off to you, and does to alot of other people.

In fact, every single sith does it. Sith throw junk in the movies 18 to 1 more than jedi. And that one time is Yoda throwing a senate car back at palpitane after he throws 7 or so at yoda. Anakin throws droid parts twice, but he is in a factory surrounded by them (they dont magically appear out of the ground) and in the same movie he slaughters women and children and gets married, so he is clearly on his way to the darkside and not exactly a jedi posterboy. But if you want to count anakin its 18 to 3.

So we agree, every time I see junk thrown I think of a Darth. Maul, Vader, Tyrannus, Sidious...problem is in this game the JEDI class is based on throwing junk between pebblestorm and project (the tooltips say debris). So not ONLY does the craptastic magical rock animation have a delay, it ALSO is completely inappropriate for the basis, or SIGNATURE skills of the jedi caster class. Just like lightning defines and identifies inquisitors, junk throwing identifies consular types, and it makes them a joke in poor taste. You might as well make everyone run around with a red lightsaber...it would be about as in line with canon and the movies.

Again, breaking shock to make up for a broken project is just goofy. As someone who actively plays both factions, that is just a nonstarter and makes NO sense. The answer to fix a broken skill, is to FIX the broken skill, not break another one. But there is ONE piece of your argument that makes great sense. See, sorcerers have exactly what you are describiing, its called lightning strike, and it is the mirror of disturbance. Both have 1.5 sec activation timers. So what you are asking for is to break shock and give it some kind of activation timer, so it matches with project, WHICH SHOULD be on a skill with an activation timer if it is kept in the game. So it is VERY much in line with the idea to swap the disturbance and project animations to give project that very activation timer that you want to break shock with...lol

Edited by Dyvim

Nice to see someone using my concept :)

Well, in fairness, it is pretty much a chained project...but doing the animation was cool, it clearly shows what you are thinking.

But how about some creativity.

Here is the problem.

We need an animation that doesnt cheat. One that doesnt magically pull up junk at your feet.

In a perfect world the game would have a variety of objects around, much like resource nodes, that are pre-existing parts of the landscape for use as thrown objects (this is assuming that junk throwing is made an ancillary skill, like as a replacement for disturbance or tk wave - jedi arent default junk throwers).

But that would require a good deal of effort, and it certainly isnt worth that at this point in the game. After all, junk throwing isnt a jedi signature skill. No reasonable person is going to say "Hey, my jedi cant throw junk, so he isnt a jedi, because I saw jedi throw junk in the movies all the time". That just isnt the case.

So, how about ideas that do not involve cheating, and dont involve huge levels of effort. What does a jedi have with him that he could throw? Lightsaber is an obvious answer. Neutral skill. Been around in the lore and in games forever, including this one. But it isnt a channeled type skill. Good replacement for project though.

So, what does that leave? No cheating. No rocks out of spaceships. The only thing I can think of is force energy style attacks, like we see satele use. Like lightning for sith, the jedi generates the energy through the force, which then manifests itself as a shockwave, or whatever. It is independent of the environment. It works anywhere.

Use your imagination. What are some other, non-cheating, possibilities?

And yes, your current animation cheats. It cheats its @#$ off, just like project does...lol

Edited by Dyvim

The problems with Project (i.e. delay etc) can be solved by giving the Jedi Shock also, but call it Mind Spike and have a dark cloudish animation around the target's head to denote pain - this would make the instant damage attacks equal and free up the project animation for a 'Project Storm' to replace Tele throw.

It needs to change, it's aesthetically displeasing AND it seems unbalanced - I wonder which would cause more damage, flying pebbles or thousands of volts of lightning...?

If Project storm would present it's own problems, Bioware could always take a leaf out of TFU's book and have the consulars fire concussive blasts of force at the target per tick, similar to Blade Storm of Tele Wave's animation.

Edited by MrJoe

The problems with Project (i.e. delay etc) can be solved by giving the Jedi Shock also, but call it Mind Spike and have a dark cloudish animation around the target's head to denote pain - this would make the instant damage attacks equal and free up the project animation for a 'Project Storm' to replace Tele throw.

It needs to change, it's aesthetically displeasing AND it seems unbalanced - I wonder which would cause more damage, flying pebbles or thousands of volts of lightning...?

If Project storm would present it's own problems, Bioware could always take a leaf out of TFU's book and have the consulars fire concussive blasts of force at the target per tick, similar to Blade Storm of Tele Wave's animation.

OK, I will admit to wiki reading...lol.

If you want a jedi version of shock it would be green lightning or a spark and called electric judgment...

I would rather see force energy based attacks, they get away from environment problems. Project storm has the same problems project has as far as believability goes.

Also, Throw is channeled. 6 rocks = channeling? They look more discreet. Why are the two basic consular skills centered around throwing debris or rocks? At least one of them should be different. This makes them almost identical. Wrong way to go, imo. I've seen better ideas for change. But change is needed.

Totally agree. I honestly dislike the animation to the point where I hate to use it, which is bad for such a core ability.

Pebble riddled gust =/= FORCE LIGHTNING.

I don't care much for the linked suggestion either however. But its better than what we currently have.

Well, in fairness, it is pretty much a chained project...but doing the animation was cool, it clearly shows what you are thinking.

But how about some creativity.

Here is the problem.

We need an animation that doesnt cheat. One that doesnt magically pull up junk at your feet.

In a perfect world the game would have a variety of objects around, much like resource nodes, that are pre-existing parts of the landscape for use as thrown objects (this is assuming that junk throwing is made an ancillary skill, like as a replacement for disturbance or tk wave - jedi arent default junk throwers).

But that would require a good deal of effort, and it certainly isnt worth that at this point in the game. After all, junk throwing isnt a jedi signature skill. No reasonable person is going to say "Hey, my jedi cant throw junk, so he isnt a jedi, because I saw jedi throw junk in the movies all the time". That just isnt the case.

So, how about ideas that do not involve cheating, and dont involve huge levels of effort. What does a jedi have with him that he could throw? Lightsaber is an obvious answer. Neutral skill. Been around in the lore and in games forever, including this one. But it isnt a channeled type skill. Good replacement for project though.

So, what does that leave? No cheating. No rocks out of spaceships. The only thing I can think of is force energy style attacks, like we see satele use. Like lightning for sith, the jedi generates the energy through the force, which then manifests itself as a shockwave, or whatever. It is independent of the environment. It works anywhere.

Use your imagination. What are some other, non-cheating, possibilities?

And yes, your current animation cheats. It cheats its @#$ off, just like project does...lol

Its a free world. Noone is stopping you from making an animation concept yourself :)

OK, I will admit to wiki reading...lol.

If you want a jedi version of shock it would be green lightning or a spark and called electric judgment...

I would rather see force energy based attacks, they get away from environment problems. Project storm has the same problems project has as far as believability goes.

But then you're getting way too close to actually attacking with the Force, which we just cannot do >_> I think we need more of a "force push" that deals damage, as I've seen the Consular do in class cutscenes to defend themselves. It is called telekinetic throw though, so I don't know. DBZ energy blasts just doesn't seem right, but if Satele did it then we can claim it :D