Star Wars Ep 7 Question

-Gorlock-

Hello!

I have seen a lot of news about Star Wars Ep.7 and I have seen some disturbing stuff recently. I have read practically all the books and I saw a big article about Chewbacca being in the next movie. Now the movie takes place in 35aby and he dies in 25aby. It was reported by The Hollywood Reporter(THR). Although I have not seen anything said from Lucas/Disney/Abrams so I was wondering if anyone here knew any information on this because I have waiting a few days and have not seen any topic about this matter. I also see people on other sites claiming that the whole EU is being reviewed by Disney and they are deciding what to keep and what to retcon.

Thanks for any information in the future,

~Jin'da Lano

Edited by -Gorlock-
Different Title

I also see people on other sites claiming that the whole EU is being reviewed by Disney and they are deciding what to keep and what to retcon.

^Essentially this is the only solid, confirmed, 100% accurate thing we have at the moment in regards to the future of the EU.

The most common belief I have seen is that the Post Return of the Jedi material will be retconned by the new movie. The Clone Wars era stuff that survived the TV series and most of the OR era stuff will survive relatively untouched as far as we can tell.

Also I believe Peter Mayhew was confirmed to be reprising his role has Chewbacca already so yes, I think he is in the next movie. Try reading a few of the Episode VII threads around here if you want to know more, there are a LOT of rumors.

I see... It would make sense to keep all of the pre-ROTJ but it was reported by THR.

My problem that I see is the neither DIsney/Lucas have said anything about this, even on their official pages and I fail to see the connection THR has with them, so is it 100% confirmed? I think not, but as for my theories of IF he is in Ep 7 is that he is a flashback or nightmares that plague Han Solo, and it gives us a look for all the movie goers about how he died, but I fail to see why they would retconn his death/Yuzhaan Vong or at least their existance in the EU because if I remember right the mandalorians during the mandalorian wars had fought a mysterious opponent somewhere near the outer rim, I think Canderous told Revan in Kotor I.

I see... It would make sense to keep all of the pre-ROTJ but it was reported by THR.

My problem that I see is the neither DIsney/Lucas have said anything about this, even on their official pages and I fail to see the connection THR has with them, so is it 100% confirmed? I think not, but as for my theories of IF he is in Ep 7 is that he is a flashback or nightmares that plague Han Solo, and it gives us a look for all the movie goers about how he died, but I fail to see why they would retconn his death/Yuzhaan Vong or at least their existance in the EU because if I remember right the mandalorians during the mandalorian wars had fought a mysterious opponent somewhere near the outer rim, I think Canderous told Revan in Kotor I.

No, it isn't 100% confirmed and I did say I *believed* that was the case.

I believe what Kotor was referring to was the Sith Empire and/or the Chiss but I don't remember too well. The Vong were, however, a terrible villain and I don't imagine they'll be in the new movie or even a part of the lore once the new movies come out.

I say that because it is true that the story of episode VII is entirely original and based off of Lucas's old drafts of Episode VII screenplays. It has been said by official sources that the new movies will not be taking material from the established canon btw, so honestly the odds that much survives from the Post-RotJ Eu are very, very low.

Besides, it'd make no sense to have Chewie dead in the new movies from the viewpoint of selling the movie. It'd make no sense to someone who has seen all the Star Wars movies but never picked up a book and that is the target audience anyways. Hardcore Eu fans are a small minority in that regard.

I know that from a selling point of the movie it would make no sense to anyone who doesn't know anything but the movies. This makes me very sad because it seems more like corporate whoring. :mad:

What do you think resulted in the creation of the Eu in the first place? GL's greed... from a creative standpoint he didn't like the Eu but he wanted the licensing money :p

Yeah it has positives and negatives. I guess we'll have to wait for the new movie before we know which this will be.

What do you think resulted in the creation of the Eu in the first place? GL's greed... from a creative standpoint he didn't like the Eu but he wanted the licensing money :p

Yeah it has positives and negatives. I guess we'll have to wait for the new movie before we know which this will be.

When has he ever said he didn't like the EU?.....He's only said that he doesn't follow it, doesn't really mean he hates it, otherwise I don't think he would have included EU things into his movies.

At any rate, we shall see what happens.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

When has he ever said he didn't like the EU?.....He's only said that he doesn't follow it, doesn't really mean he hates it, otherwise I don't think he would have included EU things into his movies.

At any rate, we shall see what happens.

Ok, I should clarify. He did say it was done in a direction he'd never have gone. Perhaps he meant that admirably, perhaps he meant that as disapproval. Either way, he doesn't really acknowledge the Eu so I don't think he has a high opinion of it.

But you're right, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

If I am not mistaken Lucas has on several occassions stated he admires the EU books and even the comics. As far as the movie goes it was confirmed by Abrams months ago that the movie was about Luke and his fall to the darkside. Mind you this is just conjecture on my part as I have only read out of date articles since I have no interest in seeing the disney abortion that will be Star Wars Ep; 7.

Let's be honest, the idea that Lucas does not hold the EU in high regard (what ever your definition of that may be) as well as the idea that he allowed the EU is exist out of pure greed is conjecture and in some cases border line absurd.

On topic, I think there was a general outrage from the fans regarding Chewie's death so I expect many will be happy to see him come back. And if we have Han, we have to have Chewie. Call it unfair on that small amount of people who read about Chewie's death and enjoyed the story, but its even more unfair on the people who didn't, or didn't like it.

Edited by Beniboybling

....On topic, I think there was a general outrage from the fans regarding Chewie's death so I expect many will be happy to see him come back. And if we have Han, we have to have Chewie. Call it unfair on that small amount of people who read about Chewie's death and enjoyed the story, but its even more unfair on the people who didn't, or didn't like it.

I agree.....Chewie & Anakins deaths are big parts of why I've only read the "Vong war' twice. I've said before.....imo they can take everything after "survivors quest" And throw it out the airlock.

Well....,everything except Saba and the barabels :D

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

I do agree that I did like chewie and his character but I somewhat agreed with his death because it was time to start picking off the original characters and it was a major change in the game because it really changed Han. Otherwise I felt that the originals would just drag on about their lives. Im not sure what to think about any of this anymore, I just hope they dont screw us too much.:p

Unfortunately i think the EU is gonna be destroyed, it feels like they have little to no interest in following it. Even though I like Chewy and all the original characters it does seem appropriate to have them die or fade off to make room for new stories and new characters otherwise I think the stories would be bland and overused. Plus it took a moon being crashed into a plant to kill him and he died a hero most epic death ever, but since we know next to nothing on his role in the movie or anything about the movie we all could be over reacting.

Personally I dont care if they dont follow the EU,hell I dont even mind if they "retcon" it. To me,the EU has never been official canon. I only consider the official CW series and the films as Canon.

Sure there are some great novels,X-wing series and Heir to the Empire for example and the SW Legacy comic series, but 80% of the EU is rubbish and very fanfic. IMO. Chewies death was stupid. Moon crushing...seriously.

I think what EPVII will be is a saving grace for the future of SW. Hopefully good enough to wash most of those terrible stories away.

Besides,the books will always be around for people to enjoy. Just becuase a movie is out that doesnt follow them doesnt mean you have to feel the books are pointless.

Edited by Vepariga

Books i hope they keep:

X-Wing series: It was a great series, though maybe "Mercy Kill" might not exist

Any of Zahn's books: All his where good, and somehow interconnect with each other, plus in "Heir to the Empire" is where Coruscant is named, so it would be stupid if it wasn't part of canon...

Courtship of Princess Leia: If we have the X-Wing series, we need to know how Zsinj died...

Maybe a few other books, but if these books stay, i wouldn't rant too much...