[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

TheRealBowser

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the only thing really worth looking at is the crit bonuses. Efficiency is just a time benefit but the crit bonuses can save/make alot of time/effort trying to critically craft/harvest resources.

I was thinking the same thing but I don't think it's that clear cut.

For instance, how fast you clear missions is very important -- it's how fast you gather the materials you need. For mako's slicing for instance, you would literally make more money from this than +2 crit.

Now that said, +5 crit is more than double +2 crit, as opposed to +15 vs +10 efficiency. So it's debatable. Maybe they'll buff efficiency to +25 in the future though, that would be cool.

As for crafting, you're probably right. Crit will be better than efficiency, especially if the only thing you are after is augmented gear. It's not like crafting faster is that big of a deal -- which is why I use the ship droid for reverse engineering a lot.

Except in the case of crafting item mods and consumables, which simply create extras. It's more efficient, but slower too, so it's debatable. My opinion here is that it's better to have crit for item mods, and better to have efficiency for biochem items since the former is expensive and made more sparingly, and the latter is cheap and made in bulk.

I'll include a list of all crafting skill crits here:

Artifice: None. (HK has +2 crit if he is ever added to the game)

Synthweaving: Jedi Knight (+5) Sith Warrior (+5)

Armstech: Smuggler (+5) Bounty Hunter (+1)

Armormech: Trooper (+5) Imperial Agent (+2)

Cybertech: None. (HK has +2 crit if he is ever added to the game)

Biochem: Jedi Knight (+5)

I may add this to the main post if people find this useful enough.

Edited by TheRealBowser

Slicing is not connected to any crafting skill. It is only used to make money, and to obtain augments.

Going by the Codex entry for Slicing, this statement is incorrect. It lists a benefit of giving schematics for Cybertech, as well as mission discoveries for all skills.

Recommended Crafting Skills: All (for mission discoveries), Cybertech (for tech schematics).

Not sure how rare those things are, but it is still something other than 'only used to make money'.

Going by the Codex entry for Slicing, this statement is incorrect. It lists a benefit of giving schematics for Cybertech, as well as mission discoveries for all skills.

Recommended Crafting Skills: All (for mission discoveries), Cybertech (for tech schematics).

Not sure how rare those things are, but it is still something other than 'only used to make money'.

Yeah, I know. Really I shouldn't have even mentioned augments, as players do not take slicing for anything but one thing -- credits.

I might edit all the missions skills to be accurate though, I know I didn't say investigation gives schematics either.

Will until Bioware actually makes crafting useful and not useless, it's a good guide but when you can PvP and use comm's to get better then what you crafted, crafting is useless.

You're welcome to voice your opinion about the crafting system but this is the incorrect place to do so.

Edited by TheRealBowser

Hi OP, Nice guide mate, If you don't mind I would like to reference and put a link to it in my Armormech Guide.

In answer to the Question from GunSpeed. Check with your crafting trainer at the fleet or on planet. They will have new schematics as you level up your crafting skill. Also schematics can be found from missions and occasionally loot drops.

Regards

Wolf

I missed this post earlier, and that's fine. Providing a link to this guide is fine with me, in fact, I'd appreciate it!

Will until Bioware actually makes crafting useful and not useless, it's a good guide but when you can PvP and use comm's to get better then what you crafted, crafting is useless.

That's not true. Only lvl 50 PVP equipment and then only high end stuff is better.

Don't forget you need to buy expensive bag and have a high valor to use them.

Also from valor 50 on progress is no longer linear. Reaching valor 60 cost almost as reaching valor 50.

Beside that below lvl50 crafts are better than pvp equipment anyway.

Already Prototype items (Artifact even more) comes ahead of PVP equipment with lower level requirements

(PVP Trooper) Republic Corporal's Precision Device (Warzone Commendation (100))

Ear

+23 Aim

+19 Endurance

+9 Power

Requires Level 20

[Prototype] Sensory Reflex D-Adaptor (200-700 Credits)

Ear

+18 Aim

+30 Endurance

+11 Power

Requires Level 19

All this can be verified by visiting the vendors and GTN or just Google for an item database.

I was thinking the same thing but I don't think it's that clear cut.

For instance, how fast you clear missions is very important -- it's how fast you gather the materials you need. For mako's slicing for instance, you would literally make more money from this than +2 crit.

Now that said, +5 crit is more than double +2 crit, as opposed to +15 vs +10 efficiency. So it's debatable. Maybe they'll buff efficiency to +25 in the future though, that would be cool.

As for crafting, you're probably right. Crit will be better than efficiency, especially if the only thing you are after is augmented gear. It's not like crafting faster is that big of a deal -- which is why I use the ship droid for reverse engineering a lot.

Except in the case of crafting item mods and consumables, which simply create extras. It's more efficient, but slower too, so it's debatable. My opinion here is that it's better to have crit for item mods, and better to have efficiency for biochem items since the former is expensive and made more sparingly, and the latter is cheap and made in bulk.

I'll include a list of all crafting skill crits here:

Artifice: None. (HK has +2 crit if he is ever added to the game)

Synthweaving: Jedi Knight (+5) Sith Warrior (+5)

Armstech: Smuggler (+5) Bounty Hunter (+1)

Armormech: Trooper (+5) Imperial Agent (+2)

Cybertech: None. (HK has +2 crit if he is ever added to the game)

Biochem: Jedi Knight (+5)

I may add this to the main post if people find this useful enough.

I somewhat hear what you're saying, but I'll always take crit over efficiency. Maybe it'll change at 10k affection, not sure.

After the slicing nerf, the normal missions give 100-200 credits wheras a crit to get a mission will net 5-10k.

Even for biochem, if you crit a purple stim/medpack then you save 10k+ in ingredients and sell it in the AH for 30k or give to a guildmate. That's way better than efficiency imo.

You already discussed crafting purely for augmented gear where crit is hands down better.

I'm almost never limited by time, I'm only limited by materials I have and trying to craft augmented gear or most efficiently creating purple stims/mods/etc.