Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

what are the 7 lightsaber forms based on

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
what are the 7 lightsaber forms based on

gendourokubungi
12.15.2014 , 05:40 PM | #1
I know form II is based on spanish sword fighting, but what are the others based on?

Form III seems to be based on european longsword techniques somewhat
Form IV is chinese saber techniques

Aurbere
12.15.2014 , 05:42 PM | #2
I'm pretty sure Form V is based on Kendo, but I don't know if the others have a basis in real life.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

gendourokubungi
12.15.2014 , 05:44 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I'm pretty sure Form V is based on Kendo, but I don't know if the others have a basis in real life.
Problem is kendo or european sword fighting encompass a LOT of styles.

Aurbere
12.15.2014 , 05:45 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by gendourokubungi View Post
Problem is kendo or european sword fighting encompass a LOT of styles.
Well, I'm no expert on RL sword fighting. So I can't say with any certainty without doing some research into it.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

StarSquirrel
12.16.2014 , 01:06 AM | #5
Well Nick Gillard, the man who choreographed the prequels, was influenced by rapier swordplay as well as kendo. Ray Park (Darth Maul) was a wushu champion. Bob Anderson of the OT was an American fencer.

That tells me form II & IV are probably heavily based on European influenced rapier swordplay and form III is almost obviously Kendo.

Form V is based off Olympic-style fencing. Classic Vader/Luke fight scenes of Episodes V & VI.

Ray Park's Maul has me convinced that Juyo (form VII) is based around Wushu and more acrobatic/flowing martial arts.

Now also remember that all Star Wars lightsaber forms can be rooted in a RL style, but it changes considerably due to authors not having swordplay experience, laserswords not being real, the force heavily influences each form (some more than others) etc... so don't expect one form to look a lot like a RL style.

As for I and VI I'm not sure...
I know if you look deep into your heart- which is currently all over that tree- you'll find a way to forgive me.

Aww, geez you look like a puppy! A blonde, eviscerated puppy!

-Alucard