Hey Tait - What about the vanity pets bug?

Evil_Dave

While I'm happy that you finally updated the Known Issues list, I'm surprised that the longstanding vanity pets desummoning bug didn't make it on there.

Remember how, in the early days of the game, you would see vanity pets all over? Well, a while back something about them broke, and they no longer stay summoned through loading screens. I very clearly remember that prior to 2.0, summoned vanity pets stayed that way until you de-summoned them or a server event caused them to reset, whereas sometime after 2.0 (my memory is a bit fuzzy on the timing) they stopped staying summoned. The net result is that very few people bother to use them anymore, since it's a pain to summon them every single time you see a loading screen, especially in the era of GSF and ranked WZs.

Now I know this is a totally frivolous issue, but it bugs me. The developers are clearly putting thought and effort into vanity pets, since they're putting out new ones all the time, but you hardly ever see them. So, not seeing this issue on the Known Issues list has prompted me to ask, once and for all, for clarification. Is this a case of the game working as intended, with the re-summon requirement now a fact of life, or is this in fact a bug that just hasn't been addressed?

Note: Searching the forums, I've found very little information on this issue. I do, however, vaguely remember it being connected to the MCR-100 Miniprobe bug, which was supposedly fixed last June. The link below explains what happened with that case.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=645302

I reported this bug already last year and Amber Green said that this is a known issue: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=649367

Maybe it was not high enough priority to be fixed yet. However, thanks Tait for checking again what happened to it; it would really great if this could be fixed, since this is the main reason why I don't have my pets out too often. :)

Edited by Jerba

Thanks for the quick reply, Tait. The only reason I asked is because it didn't appear on the Known Issues list, even though it's about as much of a "largely impacting, high traffic" issue as anything with the Codex or achievements. Hopefully we'll get a definitive answer soon!

• 1 month later...

Now that you mention it, I had not noticed before.

Then this may be a very related issue. The same thing happens with Guarding, you always need to re-Guard after the loading (e.g. button-press elevator ride). Almost sounds like some kind of character re-initialization.

Edited by LeJarC

No word on this yet, folks. I'll poke some more and get back to you.
2 months and you can't get a word out of a team that's supposed to be fixing bugs? Why?

Or am I asking the wrong question? Does such a team even exist?

Some of us didn't go through all the effort (and sometimes shell out cash) to obtain 160+ pets just to not use them. They are an aspect of the game that you continually support and they deserve the time and attention needed to fix them as such.

Thanks for popping in again, Tait! I really hope this gets fixed. I love pets, and there are so many great ones to choose from. I love to have mine out and see other people's pets, too. :)

Unfortunately, while a lot of people seem to like using pets, most don't remember/bother to take them out again after every loading screen, so I don't see nearly as many around anymore. :(

Then this may be a very related issue. The same thing happens with Guarding, you always need to re-Guard after the loading (e.g. button-press elevator ride). Almost sounds like some kind of character re-initialization.

Interesting thought! I agree that it does sound like it might possibly be related. Ugh, it drove me nuts having to re-guard my Companion so often before I respec'd to DPS, when before I could just guard 'em and forget it. I don't see as many "guard bubbles" on Companions running around as I used to, either.

I'm glad I found this thread because I now know I'm not crazy. As a pet collector myself I swore the current situation wasn't the case and figured maybe they did it to help people's system performance. I hope that is not the case because my pets deserve to be free! :csw_jabbapet: