Amplifier Feedback - Spoils of War

EricMusco

Sure thing, I can hit both of those! Weapon shells will NOT have amplifiers while they are not available in Outfitter.

<snip>

-eric

Does that mean that weapons are, at long last, coming to outfitter some time in the foreseeable future?

If so, that's great news because neat as they look, my Gree and Kingpin weapons are beginnign to get boring after 5 long years in the game :)

Re AMPs themselves - it was mentioned in a dev comment that the stat bonuses were small. How small are we talking? My concern is this:

The stat increase for 242 augments over 236 ones was not remotely comparable to the increase in mat requirements, therefore making 242s less worthwhile.

I understand that the AMP stats are there as a bonus but I would hope that they are actually worth the effort of getting and have a meaningful impact on the game.

My concern with amps is that they sound too similar to a game-killing feature in WoW called titanforging. Basically, it sucked the fun out of gearing your character because even when you finally get the item you want, if it doesn't "titanforge" to max item level, which is solely based on RNG, then it means you're not done grinding out for that piece of gear yet.

The livestream recap says amps can be rerolled with credits, but it wouldn't be fun to have to do that either, especially when it doesn't reroll to the one you want. Would you have to keep dishing out credits until you finally get what you want?

It seems like an unnecessary complication to gearing and a constant disappointment of not getting the amp you wanted. Even if it's just a small bonus that isn't factored into game balance, it kills the satisfaction of upgrading your character.

Edited by Drenovade

If amps are truly "optional" like they said in the stream, then why not remove them from gear altogether and instead have them be optional "enchants" that players can manually apply to gear themselves, similar to augments.

For example, if you're interested in +XP, you can apply +XP amps. If you're interested in better harvesting results, get those amps instead. If you're going for max combat performance, apply armor penetration or whichever amp best suits your combat role. Maybe limit it to shells only because applying it to every single modification would be too much?

There's absolutely no need to make this an RNG mechanic just so that players will spend even more time grinding out for gear they want, or sinking credits into rerolling them.

Edited by Drenovade

If amps are truly "optional" like they said in the stream, then why not remove them from gear altogether and instead have them be optional "enchants" that players can manually apply to gear themselves, similar to augments.

That would be great

PVP is going to be not very enjoyable once ppl start stacking all the right things and melt ppl even faster than they do now.

My worry is people with find some bugs with different combinations of these amps which will end up being Op'd.

Many players will secretly use the exploits to their advantage, just as they have and do in ranked with some very specific exploits that are secretly enjoyed.

Ensuring that each amp completely integrates seamlessly with other stats without disrupting anything but adding only the boost the amp itself is supposed to give is imperative.

If an amp somehow multiplies another amp or an actual ability more than it's supposed due to some crazy hard to find code bug, then what?

Imagine how hard it would be to figure out what amp is the problem, and with what other mods/amps/stats/abilities? Could really be like looking for a needle in a haystack. :(

I hate to get ahead of myself, but one thing I learned a long time ago is the more features we add to something the more likely something on it will break.

Edited by Lhancelot

Quick question, more in depth analysis to come when I have more time to consider what I've read and heard.

If there are amplifiers on item shells themselves, does this include weapons? Weapons cannot be slotted into outfit designer, and I find 99% of the BIS ones hideous.

Will there be a way to make current legacy weapons as good as the ones that will drop, or will you add weapons to outfit designer?

Also, you never did answer my original question 2 on how shared set bonuses actually were. Given everything you have said, it's obvious I'm now going to need a minimum of 3 sets per toon, likely 6 or more. I personally find this thought to be excruciating not entertaining. Endless gear quests are not what I play for.

Quick question, more in depth analysis to come when I have more time to consider what I've read and heard.

If there are amplifiers on item shells themselves, does this include weapons? Weapons cannot be slotted into outfit designer, and I find 99% of the BIS ones hideous.

Will there be a way to make current legacy weapons as good as the ones that will drop, or will you add weapons to outfit designer?

Second post from Eric in this thread answer the amplification on weapon shell issue. Short answer: weapons will not have amplification in the shell.

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9732675#post9732708

How will amplifier stats be distributed? Will the stat value be tied to item level or will amplifiers have there own rating or tier system? For example if I have max rating gear and I pay to reroll will my amplifiers all be max stats and I am simply paying for the type of amplifier I want or will the randomness also involve stat values?

How will these stats be distributed will they be tiered or will the random generation be truly random where you can get a bonus stat of like 1-100 and you have to keep rerolling until you get that 100 in every stat you want. If the amplifier stats are truly going to be random I think that is a huge negative. Having to pay however many millions of credits to get the max amplifier in the type of stat I want for every piece of gear sounds like a huge headache. So far I havn't seen any concrete info on how these stats are actually determined and if rerolls are only for the type of amplifier or also include numerical values which will make the entire system a huge pain and totally RNG.

• 2 months later...
I like the amplifiers. I also like that if is unlikely anyone can achieve a perfect suit, i.e. both BIS components and also perfect 5% amplifiers. It allows for continued improvement within already "maxed" toons. I also like that it incentivizes creating multiple suits for special purposes. It would be great if amplifiers could be retrofitted into lower level crafted gear. That would allow crafters to make "hundreds" of armor shells or components seeking specific combinations of crafting or harvesting amplifiers.

Stat boosts = 99% of people just opening a search engine and trying to find someone who can math.

I would rather see new and cool Amps to collect with effects that alter gameplay in fun or interesting ways

Take Jugg Amps for example. Instead of Stat Boost 123, you could have things like

Force Charge pulls nearby mobs/players to your location by X radius

Collect a full set of amps and your charges now round up nearby enemies into a tight little ball to cleave.

Summon Companion now calls a 2nd companion to fight at your side.

A full set of amps might have that 2nd companion fighting at 50% combat effectiveness or whatever.

Mad dash knocks back enemies in its path / destination by X meters

Singling out targets or clearing trash off of walkways has never been easier with Captain Bowling Ball on your team.

Finding amps like this or something similar would be a lot more fun than chasing down a 2% increase on a parse.

• 1 month later...
I get the idea of amplifiers on each mod, but just today i noticed the empty shells of amplifier armor on the fleet supply section vendor - does that mean the shell itself has amplifier too? Its description is imo a bit vague and i couldnt buy it to see for myself. Edited by Darittha

• 4 weeks later...

Any old equipment should have able to add slot of amplifier through item modification station. That should be like addition any augment kit.

Or add slot of amplifier to all old equipment by default during a next patch.

This is necessary for an old equipment that likes to a player its appearance.

This is especially true for an equipment that were bought earlier in Cartel market.

Edited by Heavenwayfarer

Any old equipment should have able to add slot of amplifier through item modification station. That should be like addition any augment kit.

Or add slot of amplifier to all old equipment by default during a next patch.

This is necessary for an old equipment that likes to a player its appearance.

This is especially true for an equipment that were bought earlier in Cartel market.

They won’t do this.

If you want to have a specific appearance, you will need to use the outfit designer to create one. Bioware won’t change that because it’s another way for you to spend CC or Credits,

...that because it’s another way for you to spend CC or Credits

Well, i think – in the case developers introduction option addition slots of amplifier through item modification station – a player will should spending credits to buy these improvements for every item which he likes.

This is the first "level" of spending credits by players.

Second "level" of spending credits: a player will should spending credits each time on recalibrate an current amplifier to a desired value.

This two "levels" will be the frequent and significant spends of credits by players.

And that would be acceptable to developers, if they are waiting for spending credits from players.

Edited by Heavenwayfarer