Requires heavy armor

ThrustorPrime

in your character sheet window (press the C key), there is a companion tab. Click that tab. If you are on your ship you can then select any companion you have and apply equipment. Just make sure that the companion is not on any crafting or gathering crew skill mission. If you are in the field then whichever companion you have as active will be the only one you can equip.

You don't get the skill but if you have Khem out with his character window up, you should have no problem.

As psandak said, open up your character window but with Khem Val out. on the bottom of the window will be a character tab. Click that and it should show your companions equipment now instead of yours. Now with your inventory window open at the same time, try to equip his gear as you would your own.

I've tried opening the inventory and right clicking, but it says "You don't have the skill to use that item."

When you do it this way, your basically telling the game you want to equip it to yourself and not your companion

Edited by haliy

I've tried opening the inventory and right clicking, but it says "You don't have the skill to use that item." How do I get the skill required?

The "you" in "you dont have the skill" means you.

Stop trying to put it on yourself and put it on Khem Val

Press C and have your companions gear window opened.

Edited by Eternalnight

Thanks for all the replies. Okay, I opened up Khem's window, moved several items into the slots. When I close the window, he's unchanged, still just a loincloth. Maybe I'm missing a step?

Also, I'm a Sith Assassin. Would that be a problem?

Khem (and other companions that differ considerably from the standard humanoid body types) does not have armor visuals.

Khem's appearance doesn't change with equips. The only way to change how he looks (along with Bowdaar and I'm guessing the droids) is through Companion Customizations that you equip onto them.

The gear is still working, it just doesn't change his appearance. Hope that explains it.

While you can't see his equipped gear, there are companion "customizations" where you can change Khem's outword visual appearance. You'll find a few at various vendors on different planets for all companions (not just Khem).

via Dulfy's site: an image for Khem's 'outfits" here

Thanks again, all. The equipment is in place in the slots, so I guess he's okay. It never occured to me that his appearance wouldn't change. I thought I saw a Khem in a crowd on the Imperial Fleet wearing heavy black armor. I must have been mistaken.

Much to learn still, have I. Urrgghh.

Thanks again, all. The equipment is in place in the slots, so I guess he's okay. It never occured to me that his appearance wouldn't change. I thought I saw a Khem in a crowd on the Imperial Fleet wearing heavy black armor. I must have been mistaken.

Much to learn still, have I. Urrgghh.

you probably did see him wearing that. khem and a couple other companions in the game only have their equipment appearance change when you put on a companion customization

Edited by Skodan