Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

OS upgrade?

Haiogh-Yai
04.21.2014 , 09:18 AM | #1
Howdy all...
I am wondering if I will need to re-download SWTOR after upgrading my PC from Windows XP to Windows 7?
Also, Is there a possibility that I will lose my toons, xp, skills, etc.?

Thanks.

Efenir
04.21.2014 , 10:06 AM | #2
Off the top of my head

Re-installing depends on upgrade saving the .exe unchanged and compability between XP and 7 - I had the latter when I ordered this rig, so nothing concrete.

Characters, experience etc should be stored serverside so no worries there. You might have to reconfigure graphics even if drivers don't need updating, and they are to my knowledge stored in .ini files on your side.

Halinalle
04.22.2014 , 03:55 AM | #3
I would format disk XP is on before clean install of Win7. You want 64bit OS so you have to do clean install anyway.
Most of the programs require you to install them again. Some programs like Steam for example are extremely easy to "reinstall" since you only need to download installer from Steam's page, run installer and choose the folder it's already installed in (quick and easy ). I don't think SWTOR client works like that though.

All your characters and items are stored on servers so you don't have to worry about those. You will lose your settings (UI settings, keybindings...) if you don't back them up before you install Win7.
The Progenitor, Legacy Level 50; The Red Eclipse, Legacy Level ??
Tanks: Juggernaut (P), 2x Assassin (P, RE)
Tanks: 2x Shadow (P), Vanguard (P), Guardian (P)

DarthMaulUK
04.22.2014 , 11:16 AM | #4
In your User name folder you will see a SWTOR folder with your key defaults and other preferences. If you copy this folder and upload it to the cloud or to a hard/zip/mobile phone device, once you install Windows 7, installed SWTOR, just replace the same folder with the one you saved earlier and bingo.

All your toons, XP etc are stored on Biowares servers, the only thing you will lose are your interface options and preferences if you dont use the method I describe above
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

Heal-To-Full
04.22.2014 , 05:41 PM | #5
You do not need to do a clean install, a new install, or anything else for that matter. There are no separate versions. There is no benefit to redownloading anything.

Just make sure to save your SWTOR folder somewhere that won't get erased. It doesn't "bind to computer" the way single-player games do. I have a thumbdrive with SWTOR that I can plug into any PC, with any Windows OS, and play - no installation necessary.

You'll have to make a shortcut manually though. Also see above for preserving preferences.
What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence of the Sith race and the Sith people, the glory of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the Empire, so that we may fulfill the mission allotted us by the Force itself. Everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility.

Haiogh-Yai
06.23.2014 , 05:01 PM | #6
Thanks for the replies, gang. Really helpful.