The whole "4 hour" egg spawn mechanism...

Xenoterran

As many are aware, the new Orokeet pet requires hatching an egg that is either a drop from a boss, or available as a lootable object. The timer between spawns for the egg is 4 hours. In all the MMO games I've played in the past (going all the way back to Asheron's Call), I've never thought this was a fair way to distribute an item that many would want. Yes, I get that this is suppose to be somewhat rare, but this method doesn't favor equality. What happens most of the time is a few individuals will clock the spawn and harvest it solely for the purpose of making credits.

I've tried several times to acquire an egg and waited long periods only to have another person log in on the spawn point a minute or two before it appears and get the egg before I get a chance to. In the times that I was there, it is always the same person looting the egg who can then be seen selling it on fleet for millions of credits. I'm not looking to make a profit. I just want one for myself. While I have plenty of credits, I refuse to pay for one on principal.

This method of "timed spawn = rare item" has always resulted in camping (by credit farmers) and frustration (by those who can't acquire the item) across every other MMO I've played. How is that fun?; ..or fair? I would like to believe that Bioware is smart enough to recognize failed game dynamics but then they employ this mechanism. At the very least, you should've made the egg/pet "bind on pickup." That would've at least have soured the milk for the farmers. The timed spawn still would be a pain, but at least you don't have to watch a credit farmer get the prize.

This may seem trivial to many and even silly to others, but in a game that is trying to bring in as many players as possible and hold on to the existing ones they already have, you'd think they wouldn't resort to a methodology that rewards camping and greed.

Yeah, yeah.. ..I know. Boohoo for me. If the game stops being fun, then don't play, right? But is that really what Bioware wants?

Chatting with a guy in the fleet last night, told me something like this...

"People normall leave their sound on... so I just sat there making as much annoying sounds as I could, casting spells, using skills...etc... got rid of 4 people that way."

Wow, how lame people are... I put the guy on ignore just for being a twirp.

Why don't you just make it some rediculous long quest to get it?

CAMPING A 4 HOUR SPAWN??????? LAZY LAZY LAZY LAZY PROGRAMMERS!!!!1

Edited by FooBard

Is it an exact 4 hour timer? That sucks... Should have a random factor (4.5hrs +/- 60m for example).

Yeah, its terribly annoying. If you're on a PvP server and having trouble with the opposing faction killing or knocking you of f the nest when you try to wait, I will say I found the best place to do it to be the Imperial spot. At this point - at least on my server - the folks who want to farm it know when it respawns and only spend their time going there when it's close to coming. If you can get there before them, it has a nice little nook you can tuck yourself in that should prevent you from being knocked back off, and if you have a knock back, should let you instantly knock them off when they try to jump down. Be sure to always have the camera looking up (you can actually get an angle where you see the nest and what's coming from above simultaneously) so you can be prepared to hit your trigger faster. The Republic side seems far harder to defend.

Still annoying and no guarantee of victory, but definitely an edge.

I personally would farm the million creds via dailies, and simply buy the egg. It sounds easier to do than competing with the farmers on your server if the picture you've painted us is an accurate one.

If doing dailies for 3 to 4 days isn't worth acquiring the egg, then perhaps you don't want the egg nearly as badly as you think.

People have to sleep sometime, honestly I'd wait until this egg thief goes to sleep, then you can get your egg :)

Hah, at 5 AM there were like 5 people waiting. Then at 9 AM 10 people and at 1 PM 11 or 12. Already seen, that someone tried to sell it at the fleet for Millions of credits.

Exact 4 hours respawn + boe just sucks.

That's just another ridiculous time sink at the moment.

Also the fact that so many people are there makes it annoying. You can't even click it sometimes because there are these huge mounts and people everywhere on the small nest.

Just make the thing bound to leagacy, no one should have to go do dailys for a few days to get the money to pay some clown who is spawn camping an item that should have been bound to begain with.

Hah, at 5 AM there were like 5 people waiting. Then at 9 AM 10 people and at 1 PM 11 or 12. Already seen, that someone tried to sell it at the fleet for Millions of credits.

Exact 4 hours respawn + boe just sucks.

That's just another ridiculous time sink at the moment.

Also the fact that so many people are there makes it annoying. You can't even click it sometimes because there are these huge mounts and people everywhere on the small nest.

Finally! :eek: An ADVANTAGE to playing on a Low-Pop Server!!!!! Everyone on our server has picked up the egg ...... all 14 of us.

I knew there was a reason I rolled on The Deadweight :(

Seriously guys, anyone ever tried to get (or got) a Time Lost Proto Drake in WoW? Then you know why it's called Time Lost.. a four hour timer is laughable; not even worth mentioning as time sink. Get over it; there are two spots where the egg spawns, go there early in the morning. or late at night; no problem..

Besides, if someone steals the egg from you at the moment it spawns, then you know the respawn timer, right? What's stopping you from setting you alarm clock four hours later yourself?

Edited by JeRune

I'd rather have a random timer then have it bound to legacy - only because it also drops from a boss.

That said I am not sure how someone has the upper hand even if he knows when it will spawn. You pretty much know it won't be long when that person comes on - spam the clicker (try to loot) - should be 50/50? Maybe he has the advantage once if the clickeable area is smaller and you are not exactly sure where to click. But after that?

Out of principle I would not buy this on the GTN if the mechanic is abused like this.

I was lucky enough to get my egg first attempt. A couple of people came by, but went when they saw me patiently waiting, so there are some nice players out there!

What they should do is let it spawn for 30 mins, let anyone who clicks on it get one in their inventory, and make it BOP.

Bind on pickup doesn't stop people from doing it just to grief people. Make it exclusive so you can only pick up 1 per toon and you will stop all of that. With that though, just to make it still a rare item they could increase the time frame that it can drop and make it random. Or make it drop randomly once a week. Something along those lines.

Seriously guys, anyone ever tried to get (or got) a Time Lost Proto Drake in WoW? Then you know why it's called Time Lost.. a four hour timer is laughable; not even worth mentioning as time sink. Get over it; there are two spots where the egg spawns, go there early in the morning. or late at night; no problem..

Besides, if someone steals the egg from you at the moment it spawns, then you know the respawn timer, right? What's stopping you from setting you alarm clock four hours later yourself?

The fact that I'm on a pvp server and every one but me has a knock back.

The fact that I'm on a pvp server and every one but me has a knock back.

I don't have a knockback (Marauder) and I play on a PvP server; went to the empire side spawnpoint Saturday morning at 8, someone was camping... Took my speeder, went to the republic side spawn point, no-one; missed the jump, (silly me) had to fly all the way back (about 10 minutes), still no-one, jumped down, got the egg.. no problem at all.

Edited by JeRune

I don't have a knockback (Marauder) and I play on a PvP server; went to the empire side spawnpoint Saturday morning at 8, someone was camping... Took my speeder, went to the republic side spawn point, no-one; missed the jump, (silly me) had to fly all the way back (about 10 minutes), still no-one, jumped down, got the egg.. no problem at all.

Yeah I had no probs getting it either. Good for us eh, lol. Thing is, that doesn't mean other people aren't having probs, and they've got every right to express their dismay, even if you don't think it's a problem.

Yeah I had no probs getting it either. Good for us eh, lol. Thing is, that doesn't mean other people aren't having probs, and they've got every right to express their dismay, even if you don't think it's a problem.

QFE.

Just because something is going one way for you, does NOT mean its going the same for everyone else.

Sorta like the 1% thinking the 99% are "ok"

You know what this reminds me of? Those low level Goldseller bots you see popping up near chests to loot them and log off, loot them and log off, loot them and log off. Those things can click on an item before the game renders their character into the gameworld, faster than any real player (and I've seen it with my own eyes).

So if this thing on an exact 4-hour timer, those bots can just loot two items every 4 hours on every single server and then sell it off for millions on the GTN; setting up a ton in reserve Credits for their Goldselling schemes.

If anything, the egg should have been BoP.

You know what this reminds me of? Those low level Goldseller bots you see popping up near chests to loot them and log off, loot them and log off, loot them and log off. Those things can click on an item before the game renders their character into the gameworld, faster than any real player (and I've seen it with my own eyes).

So if this thing on an exact 4-hour timer, those bots can just loot two items every 4 hours on every single server and then sell it off for millions on the GTN; setting up a ton in reserve Credits for their Goldselling schemes.

But if nobody buys it, then problem solved they wont do it.

The egg can't be put up for sale on the GTN. I've tried. I'm not sure about the pet when you actually hatch it though.

I don't have this item or even want it.

But I have no problem with the 4 hour timer. Seriously why can't MMOs have items in them anymore that you look at and go "Wow, that guy is committed" .

There is tons of casual content, and I get it that not everyone will be able to get the egg ona 4 hour timer, and they shouldn't... Bioware is giving something to the community who is considered "hardcore" and every successful MMO need the elitist hardcore group.

God I remember items have a 24 hours timer back in EQ1. And stuff like that gave you a real achievement feeling for being able to beat out other players for it.

I applaud Bioware, for trying to make this game an actual MMO and not just a causal grind feast where every persona has every item.

This aint WoW. People keep bringing up these other games. Great all well and fine you got something in another game, this isn't that other game.

The point is, there are people who are making it essentially impossible to get just one. I wouldn't mind it I wasn't getting the shaft from the same person over and over and over again who is presumably using some sort of bot that can click on it and start collecting it before it is even fully rendered. And if it isn't that it is someone blocking it from sight with their speeders or their skirt etc. And again it's the same people doing it. The easiest fix is just make it exclusive and you can only collect 1 per character.

The egg can't be put up for sale on the GTN. I've tried. I'm not sure about the pet when you actually hatch it though.

If not on the GTN, what is to stop Goldsellers from advertising on the Fleet?

Ni Hao! You buy egg, is good egg; 1 milljon dollah!

:p

Edited by Danakar