Please fix alacrity

Eloi_BG

The more we talk about it, the most likely it is we can get Dev attention on the issue (a simple acknowledgment of the issue would be nice).

For those who don't know about the issue, it was first brought up by Shyroman in a thread about Fury parses. It is mentioned in quite a few threads on forums and here on reddit:

Please tell us you will be fixing this soon. It is a pretty big deal. Since 3.0 you have told us having XX% alacrity would allow us to be XX% faster. Because of the rounding up this is not true except for specific thresholds (which every 700+ alacrity rating). This results in a lot of wasted stats and harder balancing for you guys.

Thanks

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a computational limitation involved. To make everything compute to the hundredth decimal point instead of the tenth, every action would have 10x more computation than before. I don't know what that would do to the game but it's possible that it would severely lag the servers.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a computational limitation involved. To make everything compute to the hundredth decimal point instead of the tenth, every action would have 10x more computation than before. I don't know what that would do to the game but it's possible that it would severely lag the servers.

Would surprise me, don't really see how it would involve 10x more computation. Logs seem to use 0.001s. There doesn't seem to be any 0.1s limitation. I am no game developer though, so I might be wrong. A dev comment about the subject would be nice though (as long as it's not "Let's remove alacrity!" lol).

Would surprise me, don't really see how it would involve 10x more computation. Logs seem to use 0.001s. There doesn't seem to be any 0.1s limitation. I am no game developer though, so I might be wrong. A dev comment about the subject would be nice though (as long as it's not "Let's remove alacrity!" lol).

Logs are a bit different since that is client side recording of what is happening and when. I'm guessing that calculations for abilities happen server side (or else we'd probably have seen hacks where people have no cd's on abilities/gcd and can make them do as much damage as they want). Since it's only going to the tenth decimal point, if it were to go to the hundredth decimal point then for every tenth decimal point there would be 10 additional numbers for the hundredth decimal point. I don't know exactly how the game works though so this is all speculation from me.

I personally like it that GCD has thresholds. Thresholds are basically toys for min-maxers do play with, the more the merrier.

You realise that with these thresholds, min-maxers have essentially 4 toys to play with; no alac, the 1st threshold, the 2nd threshold and the 3rd (I think you can reach it?). This is heavily limiting on what you can actually do. Min-maxers get more freedom if the stat works correctly at any alacrity value as the 'toys' are vastly greater in number.

You realise that with these thresholds, min-maxers have essentially 4 toys to play with; no alac, the 1st threshold, the 2nd threshold and the 3rd (I think you can reach it?). This is heavily limiting on what you can actually do. Min-maxers get more freedom if the stat works correctly at any alacrity value as the 'toys' are vastly greater in number.

Yeah it really limits the possibilities. For most classes it's impossible to hit the 3rd threshold (25%). There are some spec specific stuff though but those restrict it even further. Like for lightning, you'd want 11.4% because the extra 5% from the tree brings alacrity above the 2nd threshold and 20% from polarity shift brings alacrity up to 36.4% (the 4th threshold in 36.36%).

I suspect that on server side, the game 'ticks' ten times per second. All actions and ability activations that happen inside each 100ms window are collected and processed in batches, which would result in the observed behavior. It also would explain why you can e.g. have two people stun each other at the same time, which would be pretty much impossible if the game had higher temporal resolution.

Times in the combat log are client side times, which explains why you get more perceived precision than tenths-of-seconds.

If the game works as I suspect it does, then increasing the tick frequency to a less noticeable granularity like 10ms would indeed mean needing a magnitude more computing power on server side, so I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

But then again, maybe I'm talking out of my *** :)

Ciao, Aronis!

I suspect that on server side, the game 'ticks' ten times per second. All actions and ability activations that happen inside each 100ms window are collected and processed in batches, which would result in the observed behavior. It also would explain why you can e.g. have two people stun each other at the same time, which would be pretty much impossible if the game had higher temporal resolution.

Times in the combat log are client side times, which explains why you get more perceived precision than tenths-of-seconds.

If the game works as I suspect it does, then increasing the tick frequency to a less noticeable granularity like 10ms would indeed mean needing a magnitude more computing power on server side, so I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

But then again, maybe I'm talking out of my *** :)

Ciao, Aronis!

Makes sense, tho I hope you're wrong. Not sure what would be a good option for an alacrity fix then...

Oh please. The fact that alacrity lowers the GCD at all is huge boon to instant spamming classes over cast reliant classes.
How so? A shorter GCD on instants and faster cast speeds are completely analogous to each other. The former just keeps the stat on par in value with the latter (well, it would, if it was working correctly). Edited by yellow_

Before it was well-known, people just went for a certain threshold of crit and put the rest in alacrity. Not exactly freedom.

Now we get to reach a certain threshold in alacrity and put the rest in crit, or reach a certain threshold in crit and a different kind of threshold in alacrity and put the rest in mastery/power. Alacrity past the thresholds still has benefits for insta-cast classes like force regen, so it's not useless past the threshold either. Then you also have classes like combat sentinel which require a different threshold for alacrity.

I prefer systems that give you clear thresholds for clear benefits and disadvantages instead of having you manage stat meters to very slightly improve your DPS.

Edited by Eli_Porter

How so? A shorter GCD on instants and faster cast speeds are completely analogous to each other. The former just keeps the stat on par in value with the latter (well, it would, if it was working correctly).

Because casting is limited by movement, while instant spamming can maximize every GCD by just mashing buttons.

Also, I need 15% alacrity just to compensate for animation delay after moving.

Edited by thirtydollars

Oh please. The fact that alacrity lowers the GCD at all is huge boon to instant spamming classes over cast reliant classes.

It would be if they synched the way they should. But the problem is they don't. You can very easily find yourself having an empty GCD slot becuase you have executed all your moves but everything is stll on CD.

It is giving a further potential advantage to melee specs over rdps specs which is a shame considering rdps mostly are already adjusted bellow melee dps output as is.

I do know that I'm a really bad player, but to do Uprisings and FPs with ALL melee group members usually defeating everything before I even can do a full channel of my best sharpshooter's main skills is outright frustrating. Almost every time I have the thought "NOW I can fionally contribute to them !", everything is already gone or short before that. In Uprisings, I often trail behind like a lost mosquito, trying to sting mobs and adds which are already not there anymore. Thanks to my melee group members.

I'm actively wondering if I should go the melee route as well.

Edit : Oh, Grammar ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I do know that I'm a really bad player, but to do Uprisings and FPs with ALL melee group members usually defeating everything before I even can do a full channel of my best sharpshooter's main skills is outright frustrating. Almost every time I have the thought "NOW I can fionally contribute to them !", everything is already gone or short before that. In Uprisings, I often trail behind like a lost mosquito, trying to sting mobs and adds which are already not there anymore. Thanks to my melee group members.

I'm actively wondering if I should go the melee route as well.

Edit : Oh, Grammar ...

well in general on stuff like that on sharpshooter you just precast freighter flyby and then use suppresive fire or whatever it is called on ss. use cool head if you run out of energy or rapid shot, repeat. you dont't really need your hard hitting single target channels unless going against a flashpoint or ops boss.

well in general on stuff like that on sharpshooter you just precast freighter flyby and then use suppresive fire or whatever it is called on ss.

This is new to me.l To be honest, I was never must into precasting

use cool head if you run out of energy or rapid shot

I already do that.

repeat. you dont't really need your hard hitting single target channels unless going against a flashpoint or ops boss.

Yes, I agree, but I was talking about FPs and Uprisings aready.

In UPPs, there's really no need for that with the mobs, I agree, but in FPs it's sometimes still needed.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer