Free transfers in the future?

Drakinor

SWTOR feels positively archaic in some ways, such as the whole issue of server transfers. Rift allows willy-nilly transfers at no cost every week or so, and now GW2 has upped the ante:

Source: http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and-transferring-worlds-in-guild-wars-2

Bam. What now, BioWare? :D

how much does 1800 gems cost though? Context please? This could be a stealthy way of saying "Hey, you can 2000 gems in our cash shop for ..."

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people will pass off Champions Online as not worth comparing but dispite some of its' flaws it had some really good server ideas.

In CO there is only 1 actual server in your area and as the server fills up it adds an instance for you to merge in although you can still communicate with them in that instance or even join their instance for grouping. You have an accont name that goes before your heroes name. In the general chat they know you by account name next to your hero name (This can be hidden) It basically solved the problem with low poipulated servers. Dispite it's F2P lable now, a lot of people still play the game. You will always find huge groups of people playing so you will never enter an area where no one is grinding because someone somewhere was always available for grouping.

If they adopt a similar server idea like this, the problem with low populated servers and faction imbalances would be a thing of the past. Of course you would still have to have the East/West/Asia as well as RP and PVP areas since CO has no factions but thats still better than the gazillion servers we have now.

I just changed my sub. Some of the issues with this game are basic block/tackle of MMOs.

Server moves

Let me group with more than 3 people and WZ

Fix Ilum

Chat bubbles

The list goes on and on. I left Rift for SWTOR, its the Wars man, but they have got to get moving or even us fanboys will end sub. Basics of MMOs!

Plus... I hate EA so friggin much.

I'm surprised that after all this time, BioWare thinks that adding in small, buggy world events meant to waste a ton of time ("oh, go find these 12 broken ship parts hidden all across the giant desert mountain world! Oh, you wanted your title? Too bad, you have to wait for a fix and then redo parts of your title.") will keep people more interested in their game compared to merging servers and having a much bigger community to play with.

I'm surprised that after all this time, and so many MMO's screaming it at their client base, that people think that every person working at an MMO's company can work on any feature. Props to the web designer and the character artist that can work on the SQL database environment for doing character transfers.

Content developers =/= server and data infrastructure developers.

Im depressed. All my friends either left the game or went to another server. I get anxiety attacks just thinking of needing to level another 50. I dont have the time!

I've paid like 80 euro with the game and the subs. And now I'm left to rot at a dead server.

F! you bioware

EDIT:

That link above to GW2 just reminds me on how oldschool SWTOR really is. Moving digital data from one server to another was solved in the 70s. It should be in the architecture from the start and it should be easy

Again F! you bioware. I'm preordering GW2 now. I'm so happy to leave this depression behind me.

See you in GW2

Edited by DarthNiktu

Im depressed. All my friends either left the game or went to another server. I get anxiety attacks just thinking of needing to level another 50. I dont have the time!

I've paid like 80 euro with the game and the subs. And now I'm left to rot at a dead server.

F! you bioware

This sort of thing is happening a lot. Players from low pop servers re-rolling on high pop servers. It's probably bad for both servers, especially for the low-pop one.

This sort of thing is happening a lot. Players from low pop servers re-rolling on high pop servers. It's probably bad for both servers, especially for the low-pop one.

...And in top of that like me you will have two problems wen the open transfers or Merges, For one Example I have a Valor 76 on dead Server that its on the shelf for like 3 weeks by now, and one valor 51 on Full Server now if they do not let me transfer the Valor 76 to the full Server one, ill be stuck with Two high end toons on different serves. And like me I bet some there are few, few, more players!

I've been on a dead server now for months. There is no community and no economy on The Deadweight server. It's literally dead weight at this point. I'm unable to enjoy any new content,events or features because of this. I feel like i'm playing a single player game sometimes, this certainly is not an MMO experience. I'm not re rolling and i'm going to sit around for another few months while Bioware fixes what should have been fixed a long time ago. They may have opened servers due to player demand BUT they made an error and opened to many. This problem is ruining this game from the core, how unfortunate. It's mind boggling that a billion dollar company isn't smart enough to address this sooner. It's complete 100% incompetence .

The only reason i'm still playing right bow is because of the free 30 Days/Pre-paid time. I think a lot of people are in the same boat. That free 30 days was simply to buy them some time to get their heads out of their butts i'm guessing.

The only reason i'm still playing right bow is because of the free 30 Days/Pre-paid time. I think a lot of people are in the same boat. That free 30 days was simply to buy them some time to get their heads out of their butts i'm guessing.

Only reason I kept playing. I was actually a bit unhappy that I got 30 more days because I was finally breaking free by unsubbing. I have noone to play with and nothing to do

After reading the info somewhat buried in the APAC transfer thread, it looks like they ARE working on the process, so I'm hopeful we'll hear more about it "soon". I re-rolled on a higher-pop server and am enjoying the MMO experience again. I seriously doubt the initial transfers will cost us any extra. Bioware does know the meaning of MMO, I just don't think the execution was all that great. They have a quality product in many aspects that just needs tweaking. I waited about six months before starting WoW when it launched mainly for this reason: to let them work the major bugs out. Bioware will get there. We just need to be patient.

As for those players that are bored with the current content, how many of you have actually leveled more than one class to 50? More than 2? Did you take your time to enjoy the ride or did you rush through, hitting space bar through each conversation? Maybe my 2-3 hours a night, 4-5 nights a week is too "casual" to have made much progress, but I'm still finding lots to do to keep me busy while I wait for transfers to open up. I do have a bit of goodies I'd like to move to my "new home" on Jung Ma, including my Legacy.

Moal

Edited by ColonelM

Folks, they will NOT charge people for initial moves. I don't work for Bioware, but I think even EA knows if they try charging they will cripple their game population.

I mean, EA just gave us vets a free month. You think they joyfully signed on for that?

They are greedy, not stupid.

Erase any thought of having to pay for a transfer. At least for the first month/time. I can see charging for subsequent ones, or maybe allowing freebies every X time. I think a free move every 2-3 months might be fair. This whole moving once a week seems kinda crazy.

Edited by islander

they need to do all the above to have game fix.

- Server Transfer

- Server Merges

- Cross server PVP

all in one patch to save this game.

Note: Also they need to make server able to handle/support more people. Servers are weak. The Lag on Ilum back in the days was insane.

I play online games for some time already (lets say 15 years). As for now I don't have much time for play what results that even though I play from the launch, I only have 1 (one) lvl 37 char (and 5 other lower than 14). As far as I remember each and every game I had played for last 15 years had problems with population!

Too many ppl at launch --> devs start more servs or ques at login screen --> after that some ppl leave and the rest stays --> depending on previous solution devs have high population on "few" servs or "many" underpopulated servs.

I ask why... :mon_confused: why? Why developers are not prepared for this game life time?

[conspiracy theory ON]

Or maybe they are prepared? And THEY want us to be as sheeps and keep up the flow... all the time something happens... we are interested... we wait for "supernewfeatures"... and we pay for next month... ~10 eur x 1kk accs per month minus infrastructure... anyway...

[conspiracy theory OFF]

For me it is not a good certificate for a company.

If I start play a game I like to see the content of it. Im not really interested in "endgame". And I want to see this content based on a word MULTIPLAYER... Now I'm in a midgame (lvl 37). Till I get to 50, char transfers will be probably working but till than... should I play alone? Or should I go to more populated server and start all over?

There are so many solutions that could solve population problems... I can't understand why Bioware is not prepared beforehand...

Rgds.

Problem is that 10 years ago there was only one big mmorpg project runin over the world. EQ 4 example. They had their time.. but now u can easily choose from menu. I will stay and will give them a chance till summer (with free_to_play month) and if no server transfer Im gonna leave to any other project, GW or something else

I didn't want to write about other games. Yes, I can quit at any time and leave... it is not the point.

Till January I played Rift. Devs there were ready to transfer chars right away servs started to die out.

It was of course free transfer and it was possible to transfer char several times from one server to another.

The thing Im most surprised is Bioware's some kind of arrogance. Were they thinking that this game will be some kind of "messaiah" among games and nobody will leave during first year?

Or maybe it is included in the costs that some players from dying servers will leave...

I remember situation of dying servers in Warhammer... it was very frustraiting to play on empty servers (especially during open world pvp). I remember players swearing, leaving game and making bad PR on forums.

I think that it was one of main problems that causes WH to die. People can much easier swallow bugs in game (and WH was full of bugs) than take on their chest empty servers in MULTIPLAYER ONLINE game.

As for me there should be "user transparent" server merges. I log to serv1, somebody else logs to serv2 but all in all we play on the same merged_serv_12. Since player database isn't connected with www there shouldn't be many problems.

Oh... SWTOR...

Last night on Tat, 8PM EST on an East Coast server that is around the top 30% of most busy servers around.

Running on "Standard"... drum roll for Imperial population.... floating around 11ish. Yes. 11 people, for a MASSIVE open world planet.

Can we, um, like close my server down, and..ummm.. merge it with the other east coast RP-PVP servers... so... ummm.... I can actually see other people playing.. and... possibly interact with them? Please?

On the plus side, PVP que's was hopping last night.

Last night on Tat, 8PM EST on an East Coast server that is around the top 30% of most busy servers around. Running on "Standard"... drum roll for Imperial population.... floating around 11ish. Yes. 11 people, for a MASSIVE open world planet.

What server is this so we can verify your assertion that it is in the top third of servers?

What server is this so we can verify your assertion that it is in the top third of servers?

Looks like it’s changed since I last checked.

Ven Zallow, listed as 42nd out of 123 North American servers when listed by population. Last time it hit heavy was in March, I think, maybe even late FEB. Looks like it currently runs at Standard about 4-5 hours a day, from 7-8PM EST to midnight.

The server, like many others was running with a que in December.

The server saw a week or so bump in player activity with 1.2, that was very nice to see, but it looks like it’s gone back down to its normal levels.