DPS Suggestions

Sivithian

Returning to the game since Launch... Looks like I have to create a new character to do dark light stuff so I would like a recommendation. Can Jedi Shadow's do more damage now with a nice mix of force powers? Or are Knights still better? I would like to dual wield if the DPS can work.

If you want to dual wield then you have to pick a Sentinel. Shadows use a dual bladed lightsaber (they can also use a single lightsaber but they lose most of their abilities when they do so).

As for the damage potential, Sentinels have more but up to and including hard mode operations it really doesn't matter. It matters in some NiM fights only.

In PvP they serve different roles, I don't know that a comparison is fair. Shadows are more self sufficient, good sentinels will wreck almost anyone though.

Really just choose what appeals to you the most, if you like Shadow go for it. Learning both dps disciplines will help you more in the long run than playing a class you don't like as much, IMO (and personal experience too :) ).

Returning to the game since Launch... Looks like I have to create a new character to do dark light stuff so I would like a recommendation. Can Jedi Shadow's do more damage now with a nice mix of force powers? Or are Knights still better? I would like to dual wield if the DPS can work.

Regarding straight up damage [dps] Marauders/Sentinels have the highest DPS ceiling in the game [potenitally]. An equally skilled player will be able to put out higher DPS with a Marauder/Sentinel than shadows/assassins can in PVE.

If you're looking to duel wield lightsabers, Sentinels are your only option [unless of course you'd consider ranged DPS than Mercs would fit that criteria]

While I largely agree with the other poster, about you can basically make anything work, I would say that even in HM Operations the difference could matter, but more or less I'm in agreement. Comparing DPS between Sentinels and Shadows in HM/NiM Operations a sentinels dps potential is noticably higher than a shadows

In PVP however, while Sentinels still have excellent damage, the nature of PVP the shadows very often do better as they have more abilities that lend well to the PVP enviornment . PVP has a great deal of CC factors involved and the shadows have much more to offer in that regard with many CC abilities.

If your really just looking to do leveling,some FPS maybe some SM Operations, everything is more than viable so go with whatever suits your fancy.

A last consideration, Sentinels/Marauders are generally considered to have a higher skill set basis in order to get the most out of the class, and as a Carnage Marauder [the counter part to the Combat Sentinel], i can attest that it's not always the easiest class to play, but if your willing to put in the time and take some lumps learning along the way they are blast to play and can really bring the pain.

A lot of people really enjoy playing their shadows/assassins, and you came to the their forum, so that might mean something.

Fun should always be your first requirement, go with what you like, there really isn't much you can't do no matter what you pick as long as you learn to play the class. Go with whatever you think you'll have the most fun playing.

Best of luck.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

Well, if you want double-bladed saber than Shadow/Assassin is your only choice. You weren't specific in what you want to do with this character, but bare in mind that you'll have poor AoE, specifically compared to Sage/Sorc. Have fun.

Maras have worse aoe(R.I.P. Dot-Smash) than assassins do. I'd personally rather see assassins have strong single target dps. But while I'm dreaming, my assassin would like a pony too.