PT will i ever get away from ranged.

awetzel

I read the forums. Finding that most agreed the difference between PT and Merc was the range to mobility factor. Keeping this in mind i leveled a BH and chose PT. I know its early, im only level 12, but i find that i have more ranged than melee abilities. I dont want to be a semi ranged semi melee class.

If i run in and just use my melee/upclose abilities i find it takes twice as long to kill as if i just stay back and nuke like i did as a BH.

My question is. When will i be able to almost, if not completely, drop my ranged attacks and go toe to toe.

Just seems like the transition from BH to PT/Merc clearly favors the merc playstyle. I'm hoping SOON, i will be able to shed this. To become for the most part melee.

Unfortunately, if I have to use both ranged and melee, darting in and out, in order to maintain the same DPS as the Merc, than i will probably reroll as its not my style.

Thanks

Edited by awetzel

Depends on your tree. AP and Shield is more melee focused with some ranged abilities. Pyro is ranged focused. You'll find you will use rocket punch every cd so you have to be in melee. I usually use my range to close into melee then fight melee as Shield.

I see. I think its best i reroll than. I like my classes to be either ranged with a few tricks to keep me ranged or melee with a few tricks to keep me uplcose or to finish someone off.

I dont really care for what i call a chaotic playstyle. I realize it probably gives more versatility, but i like my uniformity.

Thanks

Pt isnt a medley class. And if u are a serious pvper favouring mercy is the worst thing you can do. And you level 12 lol you need to be atleast 20 or 25 before you start questioning

Pretty contrary to what lots of people are complaining about BH being OP...

I dont think that asking questions about a class before playing them to far is a bad thing. It avoids wasting valuable playtime to ask knowledgable people for advice when i come to a dillema. Playing to level 25 on my schedule would take a week maybe longer. Most people who answer do so of there own free will. I have only threatened the families of a few of these posters. :) j/k

I agree there is no substitute for actual play time but being prepared cant be a bad thing.

I assure you i am not lazy. I currently have every class to level 85 in WOW. Most Classes in Rift, EQ2, Vangaurd, and a few in other various games. I have found over the years that asking questions as soon as you come to a query makes for better playing. This will be my first play through. I admit i didnt do my homework on the class like i should have i got a little ahead of myself when i was asked to pick between merc and PT and thought i understood what a PT was.

My only regret wasnt asking for advice, but not asking for it sooner.

Thanks

Just something to note, the last bit of your OP hints that you might be under a misconception that I've seen around: that ranged attacks have some kind of minimum range. This is not the case (thank god). While you do have to use both ranged and melee attacks to put out a decent amount of damage, there's nothing to say you have to keep moving in and out of melee range. You can just use your ranged attacks at point blank range...

Even as a pyrotech, the least melee centric spec, I still stay within melee range most of the time. It's just that if someone tries to run away and I can't catch up, I can still hurt them :D

Edited by PhroX

Just something to note, the last bit of your OP hints that you might be under a misconception that I've seen around: that ranged attacks have some kind of minimum range. This is not the case (thank god). While you do have to use both ranged and melee attacks to put out a decent amount of damage, there's nothing to say you have to keep moving in and out of melee range. You can just use your ranged attacks at point blank range...

Even as a pyrotech, the least melee centric spec, I still stay within melee range most of the time. It's just that if someone tries to run away and I can't catch up, I can still hurt them :D

Hmmm, very interesting, i never paid attention to this before. Embarrassed i hadnt noticed. So use to having a min range. This does shed a new light. I should have reallly done my homework but so much else going on i just slacked off. Thanks.

I'm level 41 PT, and I have to admit that it is the most fun I've ever had tanking in an mmo. That is because PT can be ranged or melee. As a tank, you are going to be dealing mostly with melee. Rocket punch is your hardest hitting ability, and your only spammable aoe is fire spin which has a minimum range of 5 meters. So when you're tanking trash, you want to charge one ranged target, taunt the melee target and grapple another ranged target then fire spin, explosive dart and rotate through the targets with rocket punches. You CAN do some tanking from range with unload, auto attack and taunts, but you're not going to be holding big aggro from range. Also, this is a class that doesn't get to be real fun until around mid 30s. Once you get grapple, jet charge and fire spin... well let's just say that you'll be having some FUN.

I was actually really worried about this because I've been doing some Black Talon runs and also some Heroic Quests on Dromund Kaas and for the love of God, I can't seem to tank at all. Everyone wants a Jug to tank and that really pisses me off since the only thing I know HOW to do is tank.

I will agree that PT feels very awkward in the beginning levels. I'm lvl 15 currently and I feel I need to start at range. I usually begin a fight with Death From Above and then stay out of range instead of moving in as there aren't really any abilities to bring me into Melee range with the targets if you know what I mean.

The only ability I've come across that has Minimum range is Death From Above and even then, it's not a far minimum.

I'm really happy to hear that PT's are incredibly viable main tanks as I seriously didn't want to Reroll for a Jug. I love the play style of the PT so far, but I will again admit that it's a little awkward. Just needs to take some time getting used to I suppose.

I feel I need to start at range. I usually begin a fight with Death From Above and then stay out of range instead of moving in as there aren't really any abilities to bring me into Melee range with the targets if you know what I mean.

Wait til you get Jet Charge at 21 points in Shield Tech. Closing to melee range becomes fun.