Fixing SWTOR PvP (Queues and things)

HanSollo

So basically the queue goes with what it has, but at least it doesn't put the 2 tanks and 1 healer all on the same team like it does now.

This is what has to be addressed, anything else is literally gravy. almost every other argument goes away, including the premade thing, if this is addressed. If teams are force balanced in terms of roles as much as possible, then it negates the rest of the issues in large part. Even premades in a trinity comp would largely face other similar comps, even if randoms, based on balancing by role.

After spending the last year doing a lot of PvP in WoW one thing i like here is the ability to queue as multiple roles and you are assigned one based on the group comp to try to balance the teams, and you cannot change it. If you are assigned as dps, you cant swap to heals for example. It doesnt always work, after a while if no additional tank/heals queues it just goes anyway, and thats fine as long as the effort is made, it will never be perfect.

Imo the queue should pick the first 8 people, form a group with them then examine the rolls. If there are more than 1 healer, spread then evenly between the teams. If after they are spread evenly there is still one healer left (3 healers for example) randomly put it into one of the teams. Same should be with the tanks. It should also take into account valor ratings and whatnot.

Now before you all say that this would **** the queue and stretch it wide open, the way they should do it is that they make these calculations AFTER they pick aside 8 players. So it sorta goes like this:

19 players in queue, placed in order

( I I I I I I I I ) ( I I I I I I I I ) I I I And so on

So the queue forms groups of 8 or 4 (8 should have priority). So far it's exactly how it is on live. After the group is formed, so after the queue is made, the rest of the calculations should be done. So basically it doesn't really add extra algorithms to the queue system, it adds them for after the queue is done.

Imo the queue should pick the first 8 people, form a group with them then examine the rolls. If there are more than 1 healer, spread then evenly between the teams. If after they are spread evenly there is still one healer left (3 healers for example) randomly put it into one of the teams. Same should be with the tanks. It should also take into account valor ratings and whatnot.

Now before you all say that this would **** the queue and stretch it wide open, the way they should do it is that they make these calculations AFTER they pick aside 8 players. So it sorta goes like this:

19 players in queue, placed in order

( I I I I I I I I ) ( I I I I I I I I ) I I I And so on

So the queue forms groups of 8 or 4 (8 should have priority). So far it's exactly how it is on live. After the group is formed, so after the queue is made, the rest of the calculations should be done. So basically it doesn't really add extra algorithms to the queue system, it adds them for after the queue is done.

Queue in order of sign up:

(12345678)(ABCDEFGH)XXX

Except shuffle what is left after healers/tanks to screw up Q sync:

Team 1

1A3C5E7G

Team 2

2B4D6F8H

I just want them to implement the choice system so I'm not randomly thrown into a PvP match. I want to Choose what zones I want to play. I'm goddamn tired of 90% of all my queues ending up in Huttball matches. I hate Huttball. I don't want to get stuck playing Huttball because they refuse to let you queue for only the things you want to engage in. Every other game allows you to queue for things separately. If we can do that for Flashpoints, why in the absolute **** is it so difficult to do for PVP?

Not gonna happen.

Tell you what. Go to Group Finder VM FP's, deselect all but Depths of Manaan, and see how long it takes to pop.

Then toggle all of the options and see how long it takes to pop. I'm fairly certain the second option will be faster. But remember, too - WZ's are composed of two teams of 8 players. The only other content that uses 8 or 16 man teams are operations. And you can queue for SM ops in GF all day, and they are never going to pop.

Frankly, I'd simply be satisfied if they got rid of 1 v. 4 arenas (yes, they are a thing) and 4 v. 8 WZ's. The very fact that WZ's like that exist means BW can't afford to decrease total queue pop by splitting it into different WZ's.

Okay, to address some questions. No im not trolling. Okay done.

Next up the legitimate concerns, of which there seems to be only 1. Increased queue times. Yes there would be an increase in queue times. This is pretty obvious my goal wasn't to make shorter queue times its was to allow new and returning players a chance to gear up a bit and give casuals a place to fart around. Currently I mostly play on Bastion and the queue pops are almost instant.

The alternate suggestions:

Matchmaking really would not help what im addressing (not saying its a bad idea) what im doing is trying to address. Im trying to make it so that casuals have a place to play "serious people have a place to play, and hardcore min maxing people have a place to play.

Every alternative seems to try and solve the imbalance problem from a balance the role distribution perspective. Which wont solve the problem.

Im trying to create a system which promotes server growth.

Very soon here we are going to be down to 5 servers total and if one of them tanks that will be it for that server it will be almost impossible to get it back up and running again.

Now for some of the "criticisims":

"Dude bro its an MMO as in multiplayer make some friends gawd" - To be sure a powerful argument. Your opnion is wrong is always a powerful argument. Please recognize that is all you are saying. This is literally the dumbest argument espically because from a PvP perspective there no loss in content. You would only gain content. To clarify what you are saying is that if people don't enjoy the game the way you think they should then they shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the game.

"L2P newb/noob" Yes that's the whole point let them learn a bit and make some friends get some gear that actully matters. Rather then having them lose almost every match for a month until they say **** this and leave. This again is an argument based on the idea "your're having fun wrong".

Finally let me address something. Balanced matchs cannot be gotten to by placing the same number of roles on the same team. This does not solve the problem at all. You need to segregate by a hard (calculable) factor not a soft (uncalcuable) one. Skill and knowledge are both soft because people learn at different rates and can gain knowledge outside the game. Gear level is hard because you have a number which affects the ability to do damage and to absorb it in some cases. Which means item level would be the best way to impose a hard limit. For the soft limits you use the "honor" system by having people pick based on personal preference. Which further segregates by skill and knowledge somewhat.

Pvp in this game is not even worth playing anymore unless you are in a premade v premade ..

Damn near every solo queue is a lopsided win / loss very rare that its a good / fun game any more.

Not sure why they cant have some kind of cross server queue . Or at the very least if you are fighting the same

faction make the teams some what even , Sometimes you get one team with 4-5 healers and the other with none.