KOTOR Books/comics

NUTMANIAC

I'd just like to know your suggestions on the best KOTOR era books and comics.

Iv already read the Knights of the old republic three volume comic series.

My only suggestion would be to not read the Revan novel, really.

I'd just like to know your suggestions on the best KOTOR era books and comics.

Iv already read the Knights of the old republic three volume comic series.

A while back someone was asking about Old Republic era books that dealt with Revan specifically and I made up this post detailing all the different works set in this era - the color-coded recommendations are based on the OP's interest in Revan but the post might still be informative overall:

Depending on how "complete" a view of the era you want vs how narrowly you're just concerned with Revan and the storylines around the KOTOR games, here's a rundown of all the different comics, novels and games that touch on KOTOR/TOR, and a brief description of how closely they're related to the games - the ones bolded and underlined are the ones the are closest to them and that specifically talk about Revan:

Dawn of the Jedi (On-going series, but will end once Marvel takes over the SW license from Dark Horse) - Set about 22,000 years before TOR, Dawn of the Jedi has the Rakatan Infinite Empire as a major faction and deals with the formation of Jedi Order in the years before the Republic was formed. The Rakata stuff is the only content that's directly relevant to KOTOR/TOR, but it's interesting to see how some of the Jedi and Sith philosophies originated and a lot of the characters are quintessential "Old Republic" races, such as a Sith Pureblood. <Only Recommended if you want a very broad view of the era (although it is a good series in its own right)>

Tales of the Jedi: Golden Age of the Sith (5-issue miniseries) and Fall of the Sith Empire (5-issue miniseries) - set about 1,350 years before TOR, deals extensively with the original Sith Empire and their war with the Republic: The Great Hyperspace War. The Empire in TOR was founded by the remnants of the Sith Empire featured in these books, and the Hyperspace War is referenced a fair number of times in TOR.<Recommended if you want a broad view of the era or background on the Sith Empire/Pureblood species in particular>

Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic (5-issue miniseries); The Freedon Nadd Uprising (2-issue miniseries); The Dark Lords of the Sith (6-issue miniseries); The Sith War (6-issue miniseries) and Redemption (5-issue miniseries) - set about 40-50 years before the first KOTOR game and about 350 years before TOR. The main conflict, the Sith War, in some ways sets up the Mandalorian War (and the Jedi's reluctance to participate in it) that forms the background for KOTOR, and Jolee Bindo is a veteran of the Sith War (though he doesn't appear in the comics). It doesn't get a lot of major references in the games, but covers a pretty huge conflict and introduced a lot of locations (like Onderon) and species (like the Cathar) that tend to crop up in KOTOR/TOR. Plus will allow you to get a lot of references from items and lore notes in the games.<Recommended if you want a broad view of the era or background for the years leading directly up to KOTOR>

Knights of the Old Republic (50-issue series) and Knights of the Old Republic: War (5-issue miniseries): Set just before and during the Mandalorian Wars, Revan and Malak are not the main characters but they do appear periodically, along with cameos by several other characters from the KOTOR games. The Mandalorian War is a major plot thread throughout and Malak gets a lot of character development. <Highly Recommended for background on the first KOTOR game>

KOTOR 1 (video game) <Highly Recommended>

Unseen, Unheard (6-page comic strip found in Star Wars Tales: Issue 24): Set between KOTOR and KOTOR 2. Gives some background on Visas Marr and Darth Nihilus. <Recommended if you can find it for free/cheap or are a fan of either of those characters in KOTOR 2>

KOTOR 2 (video game) <Highly Recommended>

The Old Republic: Revan (novel): Not a comic, but this novel is pretty much designed specifically to bridge the gap from KOTOR to KOTOR 2 and from both KOTOR games to TOR. <Highly Recommended - but be warned, it establishes canon personalities for Revan and the Exile, and those personalities have rubbed some fans the wrong way depending on how different they are from the fans' own concepts for the characters>

The Old Republic: Blood of the Empire (3-issue miniseries): Set about 25 years before TOR, during the early years of the Great Galactic War. Provides a lot of detail to some of the internal conflicts within the Empire during those years. Includes a character who ends up being very prominent in the Sith Inquisitor story <Recommended if you're interested in Sith v Sith politics, life in the Empire, or the Great Galactic War>

The Old Republic: The Threat of Peace (3-issue miniseries): Set about 10 years before TOR at the very end of the Great Galactic War and the start of the Cold War. <Recommended if you're interested in background on some prominent TOR characters and/or in the end of the Great Galactic War>

The Old Republic: Deceived (novel): Another novel rather than comic, but deals directly with Darth Malgus and the days surrounding the end of the Great Galactic War. <Recommended if you're interested in Malgus and/or the end of the Great Galactic War>

The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance (novel): A novel set during the Cold War just before the start of TOR. A self-contained adventure set during the time period and featuring Satele Shan, <Recommended if you want to read everything there is to read SWTOR-related>

SWTOR (video game) <Highly Recommended>

The Old Republic: The Lost Suns (5-issue miniseries): Set during the early part of TOR, acts as a prequel of sorts to Annihilation. <Recommended if you want to read everything there is to read SWTOR-related>

The Old Republic: Annihilation (novel): A novel set around the time of Rise of the Hutt Cartel, builds on some characters introduced in The Lost Suns but works as a stand-alone story as well. <Recommended if you want to read everything there is to read SWTOR-related>

In terms of general recommendations, I would recommend:

• The Knights of the Old Republic comic series and Knights of the Old Republic - War comic miniseries.
  • The Old Republic: Deceived novel
  • The various Tales of the Jedi miniseries: Knights of the Old Republic, The Freedon Nadd Uprising, The Dark Lords of the Sith, and The Sith War (I'm not sure if some of those are the ones you were talking about when you mentioned a "three volume comic series")
  • The Old Republic: Annihilation novel
  • The Old Republic: Revan novel (although I'm not really recommending it based on the strength of the novel itself, more just that it really fills in a lot of gaps in the era, fleshes out some backgrounds and wraps up some stories from the KOTOR games)

I liked what I had read of Dawn of the Jedi, but I haven't read them all and I heard that the quality starts to drop as it goes on.

Edited by DarthDymond

My only suggestion would be to not read the Revan novel, really.

Second. No hyperbole, the Revan novel was the worst bok I've ever read. It's what officially killed EU novels for me.

Granted, the clusterfudge that was Legacy of the Force and the borefest that was Fate of the Jedi certainly didn't help that descent, but Revan is what clenched it for sure.

• 3 years later...
Second. No hyperbole, the Revan novel was the worst bok I've ever read. It's what officially killed EU novels for me.

Granted, the clusterfudge that was Legacy of the Force and the borefest that was Fate of the Jedi certainly didn't help that descent, but Revan is what clenched it for sure.

Why was the Revan book so bad? I'm not asking to be sarcastic. I just finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Granted, it was the first star wars book I've read, but I loved it.

Why was the Revan book so bad? I'm not asking to be sarcastic. I just finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Granted, it was the first star wars book I've read, but I loved it.

Considering it's been 3 years since that was posted, i wouldn't expect a response to that question from the poster.

The most common complain I've heard though about it was how they handled the Exile. Lots of people have their head canons for her, and didn't like how she was handled.

Personally, Revan wasn't the best book I think (Wraith Squadron still takes that title) but it wasn't bad either.

Considering it's been 3 years since that was posted, i wouldn't expect a response to that question from the poster.

The most common complain I've heard though about it was how they handled the Exile. Lots of people have their head canons for her, and didn't like how she was handled.

Personally, Revan wasn't the best book I think (Wraith Squadron still takes that title) but it wasn't bad either.

The problem I had with it wasn't the story itself but how it was essentially three stories in one, Revan, the Exile, the Revan and the Exile together. None of it seemed to flow nicely.

Although I will agree with you that Wraith Squadron is the best SW book series. I loved that. I wasn't sure how I'd go with the last Wraith Squadron book considering the amount of time that had passed since the last one (in universe time I'm talking about here) but a couple of flash backs helped keep some of the characters from the original books around and the new characters were worth reading about.