Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Duping Armor Sets & selling on the GTN

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Duping Armor Sets & selling on the GTN

KarajansJamara
02.13.2019 , 03:01 PM | #1
This seems to be getting worse lately. I can easily find at least a dozen characters who are selling pages and pages of armor sets and sometimes decorations.

Not multiple different ones, which is normal seller behaviour but up to 6 pages of the same one or multiple stacks of 20 decorations etc. They then list them all at prices much lower than the current selling value.

I understand that some people will say "so what" but to people who actually enjoy the trading part of the game it is ruining their enjoyment and screwing up the server economy at the same time.

And there's the part where this is against the games EULA and a ban-able offence.

I've reported them in the past but nothing happens, they just keep on doing it. Is it even worth reporting them anymore?
Are the game devs even bothered about it?

xordevoreaux
02.13.2019 , 03:04 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by KarajansJamara View Post
And there's the part where this is against the games EULA and a ban-able offence.
Citation needed. Please indicate in the EULA where selling a lot of the same thing on the GTN is a bannable offense.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

MorseGod
02.13.2019 , 03:07 PM | #3
What part of the EULA / TOS prohibits selling your in-game items on GTN for whatever price you choose?

Are you implying that people are coming by these item stashes unfairly? If so, the burden of proof is on you to show they're somehow hacking to create unbound duplicates.

Undercutting your prices isn't hurting the economy, the game, or anything other than your bottom line. Dumping a ton of merchandise on GTN on the cheap actually HELPS a ton of players get items they might not otherwise acquire.
Guildmaster, Help (Star Forge)
Was this post helpful? Please click my referral link.

KarajansJamara
02.13.2019 , 03:07 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
Citation needed. Please indicate in the EULA where selling a lot of the same thing on the GTN is a bannable offense.
The duping is the ban-able offence obviously.

KarajansJamara
02.13.2019 , 03:12 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MorseGod View Post
What part of the EULA / TOS prohibits selling your in-game items on GTN for whatever price you choose?

Are you implying that people are coming by these item stashes unfairly? If so, the burden of proof is on you to show they're somehow hacking to create unbound duplicates.

Undercutting your prices isn't hurting the economy, the game, or anything other than your bottom line. Dumping a ton of merchandise on GTN on the cheap actually HELPS a ton of players get items they might not otherwise acquire.
I'm all for fair trading and undercutting etc. It's the duping part that I have issues with.
It's obvious to anyone who trades regularly when duping happens as something that usually only has about 6-12 listings suddenly appears with 6 pages of it at a ridiculously low price.
It's not up to me to work out how they are doing it, that's the devs job. I report it when it happens but nothing seems to be ever done about it.
They ban gold sellers for screwing with the games economy so why not ban players that dupe too?

xordevoreaux
02.13.2019 , 03:13 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by KarajansJamara View Post
The duping is the ban-able offence obviously.
I'm still confused. You're assuming that people who farm a ton of the same gear are somehow availing themselves of some sort of game mechanic exploit?

While you're not able to discuss exploits in these forums, if you suspect a genuine exploit, detail the exploit as you understand it to Eric Musco in a private message to him as well as write a ticket for it.

Otherwise, if you're just seeing on the GTN the results of people farming themselves to death for specific armors, that's not an exploit, and they can sell however much of that on the GTN as they choose.

KarajansJamara
02.13.2019 , 03:21 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
I'm still confused. You're assuming that people who farm a ton of the same gear are somehow availing themselves of some sort of game mechanic exploit?

While you're not able to discuss exploits in these forums, if you suspect a genuine exploit, detail the exploit as you understand it to Eric Musco in a private message to him as well as write a ticket for it.

Otherwise, if you're just seeing on the GTN the results of people farming themselves to death for specific armors, that's not an exploit, and they can sell however much of that on the GTN as they choose.
I'm aware of those that actively play the game to trade etc but duping is something that occurs in every game and I know how to spot it after 20+years gaming and trading in many MMO's myself. The way they list, what they list and when they list are all telltale signs of duping.

I have written tickets, many times. That's the whole point of this post - they don't seem to care about it and it's still happening on the same characters and progressively becoming more frequent.
Thank you for your idea of writing a message though, that is a helpful suggestion indeed.

MorseGod
02.13.2019 , 03:21 PM | #8
The only evidence of duping here seems to be that items are appearing on GTN in a quantity that the OP doesn't believe to be legitimate.

None of us have data on how many items exist or how many Cartel Market items are generated from day to day. The accusation is flimsy, at best.

The OP claims to be reporting people and nothing is done. Well, in that case, it's a closed case. The people in charge of dealing with such reports have either found no wrongdoing or they have been directed not to prioritize this particular issue. Either way, it's completely their discretion how to deal with it.

Want to keep competing? Lower your prices.
Guildmaster, Help (Star Forge)
Was this post helpful? Please click my referral link.

xordevoreaux
02.13.2019 , 03:26 PM | #9
The only evidence of duping here seems to be that items are appearing on GTN in a quantity that the OP doesn't believe to be legitimate.

None of us have data on how many items exist or how many Cartel Market items are generated from day to day. The accusation is flimsy, at best.

The OP claims to be reporting people and nothing is done. Well, in that case, it's a closed case. The people in charge of dealing with such reports have either found no wrongdoing or they have been directed not to prioritize this particular issue. Either way, it's completely their discretion how to deal with it.

And the possibility exists that someone spent a lot of credits buying up everyone else's version of a given armor on the GTN and then repriced/bundled them to form their own little monopoly of that item.

KarajansJamara
02.13.2019 , 03:28 PM | #10

And you are entitled to your opinion.
I know duping when I see it.

My ability to make money in game is not an issue and neither is it the driving force of my post.