What do you want from a tank in ranked pvp?

KALELSAB

As a Jugg main this is either disingenuous or just ignorance, Aegis Assault buff lasts 20 seconds, you can easily set it up and keep it going at anytime and its maintained just by doing your rotation.

I know this, still not like it's just an instant aoe on CD like say a sin.

Edited by KendraP

I take it you dont play Fury Marauder or a Merc.... no dps compares to tank survivability.... what game are you playing

I don't play a mara or a merc. And you'll never hear me say a mara is anywhere close to a tank. I admit I mostly don't like mercs because they got a reflect which used to be my thing. I do think they're a bit too survivable for dps.

I know this, still not like it's just an instant aoe on CD like say a sin.

OK, but its not hard to do, and once its up and you're in combat it generally stays up, and from that point on Crushing Blow is instant aoe on CD, but significantly stronger than Wither or Discharge.

Also to the other poster, PT's are the bigger AOE culprits, Juggs get high numbers through AOE of Crushing Blow mostly. They could also nerf its overall damage in PvP and allow it to keep the AOE I guess, but I prefer something hard hitting since Juggs have a harder time maintaining uptime in PvP due to more 4 meter and less 10 meter abilities.

OK, but its not hard to do, and once its up and you're in combat it generally stays up, and from that point on Crushing Blow is instant aoe on CD, but significantly stronger than Wither or Discharge.

Also to the other poster, PT's are the bigger AOE culprits, Juggs get high numbers through AOE of Crushing Blow mostly. They could also nerf its overall damage in PvP and allow it to keep the AOE I guess, but I prefer something hard hitting since Juggs have a harder time maintaining uptime in PvP due to more 4 meter and less 10 meter abilities.

Yes it's incredibly easy. Still requires a set up step and thus an additional initial GCD thst does little damage compared to an actual Dps burst setup (at least I'd assume so).

And again, if they could figure out how to code in a difference for PvP and pve why couldn't they figure out how to code in a fix for tank stats?

I take it you dont play Fury Marauder or a Merc.... no dps compares to tank survivability.... what game are you playing

We're taking about the burst, and aoe burst I guess, potential of a tank - not survivability.

If we're talking about overall damage done by a tank over the course of an entire match then we take survivability into account. If that's the case however, talking about how much damage they can do in a single gcd is stupid and irrelevant.

And again, if they could figure out how to code in a difference for PvP and pve why couldn't they figure out how to code in a fix for tank stats?

Coding in abilities that act differently depending on setup is proven, its been done. How do you change tank stats to work the way you want in a way that PvP remains balanced? Give me an idea, its not as simple as "ok make them work on all attacks", if you did that tanks would take so long to kill in PvP that any match where a team has 3 tanks, no node would ever be captured.

Coding in abilities that act differently depending on setup is proven, its been done. How do you change tank stats to work the way you want in a way that PvP remains balanced? Give me an idea, its not as simple as "ok make them work on all attacks", if you did that tanks would take so long to kill in PvP that any match where a team has 3 tanks, no node would ever be captured.

Honestly I don't think they can do either without screwing something up. That's really why I defend skanking despite hating it. I think any change they make will either ignore the problem or destroy PvP tanking.

Edited by KendraP

Honestly I don't think they can do either without screwing something up. That's really why I defend skanking despite hating it. I think any change they make will either ignore the problem or destroy PvP tanking.

That's fine if you don't think they can. I think they can, I think a simple PVP only reduction in AOE capabilities of tanks would solve most of the issue. Reducing tanks AOE capabilities to 3.0 levels, possibly reducing the burst of Crushing Blow for Juggs specifically.

I can't think of a way to make tank stats work in PvP without fundamentally screwing all the rest of the balance.

I can't think of a way to make tank stats work in PvP without fundamentally screwing all the rest of the balance.

How about specifically changing shield/absorb works in pvp. Transfering damage from a player to the tank is a mechanic only for pvp. Just tie the amount of damage transfer based on how much shield/absorb you run in pvp (caping at 50%). Wearing pure dps gear would hinder how much your guard protects a player.

How about specifically changing shield/absorb works in pvp. Transfering damage from a player to the tank is a mechanic only for pvp. Just tie the amount of damage transfer based on how much shield/absorb you run in pvp (caping at 50%). Wearing pure dps gear would hinder how much your guard protects a player.

This is interesting, although it leaves Defense high and dry. Still, interesting concept. Would be quite a massive nerf to guard though, which could in the short term make burst comps overwhelming until more tweaks are made. Although I guess that depends how shielding works through guard, they could tweak it so a little bit of it is a bit worse than current guard, and maxed stats is a bit better, or something.

Edited by wadecounty

Even though its a good idea, assassins will be ridiculously benefited that way (if you include shield rating that is) while PT and Jugg receive the poor end. Although if we switch that to absorption only, perhaps that would be different. All tanks have abilities that increase absorption.

You can say that PT may benefit from this but remember that the increased absorption from Heat Blast is only temporary and the ability can have a fairly long CD if unlucky with the procs. Sin tank, if not attacked, can have the floating things around it permanently.

Edited by memerobot