KotFE, KotET and Romance

Ylliarus

So how should I begin this subject? I believe it will be easiest if I will start straightforward and get to the point immediately... the romances in the latest two expansions were, in my personal opinion, weak. At least, when comparing them to the original romances of the vanilla game. Yes, the cutscenes are far more beautiful graphic-wise but when talking about the romance's narratives they're very underwhelming. We get a few moments with our love interests which basically come down to "click button, congratulations you are in a romance now" and that's it, barely any further interaction or acknowledgement. A few kissing scenes when the Outlander/Commander is going off doing something dangerous, a touching line somewhere but nothing else. I really missed the build up you got in the original playthrough, where you went to talk with your companion and potential love interest and really got to know them, to feel for them. That is completely and totally lost in KotFE and KotET, you don't come to feel for Lana, Koth or Theron. There is no build up to get to know them, to fall both as the PC and the player behind the PC for them. Basically, the romance options in the latest two expansions are almost like interchangable furniture.

What I really hope the Devs will consider doing is adding dialogues and interactions with your love interests in both the future and maybe retroactively add it to KotFE and KotET. Scenes like we got in the original game where regularly we would get a new scene between our PC and the companion. It wouldn't have to be done for all the companions in KotFE and KotET, that would be very much work, but at least this could be done for the companions that can be romanced, both the ones we get to know in SoR, KotFE and KotET but also our original love interests from the vanilla game. That would be less work than adding new scenes for every companion but it would enhance the romance narratives in the latest two expansions as one can't deny they are bland and sadly underwhelming. With the new scenes we'd be able to build up our romance inbetween the chapters, it would add a lot more depth to Lana, Koth, Theron and so on and make them feel less like interchangable furniture. We as the players could come to care, truly care for our love interests which is something that was very lacking thus far (in the two expansions, not in the vanilla game). I want to come to care for them, I want to be able to fall for them as the player behind the character. It was always one of the best things in other game series Bioware procuded such as Mass Effect. Maybe through those scenes we'd even able to influence them more, to make choices truly matter by for example slowly convincing Theron to believe in the values of the Sith Empire as a Sith Inquisitor or convince Lana to abandon the Dark Side as a Jedi Consular. The scenes don't have to be an hour long or something, just a few minutes inbetween chapters to interact with the ones our Commander/Outlander has fallen in love with.

Something that I missed greatly in KotFE and KotET as well regarding companion romances was the ability to marry them. Why was it possible to marry our companions in the vanilla game but suddenly with the new love interests we get in KotFE and KotET that is completely off the table? I want my characters to be bound to their love interests in a more profound way than just being lovers, I'd want to be able to see my Sith Inquisitor marry Theron, my Lord Wrath exchange vows with Lana. It's something that I really would want to see added in the future story content of the game or even implemented retroactively. It is such a small thing, I know, but it would help add so much more depth to the two expansions and the companions/characters that were introduced with it.

Lastly, it is heavily requested I know but please make Arcann a romance option. I don't say this because I particularly like him, but female Force Users have not a single male Force User to romance. Neither a Dark Side or Light Side male Force User for them to romance in the entire game. Yes we get other male romance options for female Force Users such as Theron, Koth and several original game companions. Yes, we are able to romance Lana who is a Force User, but there is no male Force User for female Sith or Jedi to romance. Arcann therefore is the most likely option at this point, unless a new character is introduced or an old companion returns (Scourge?) and becomes a romance option for female Force Users, be it Sith or Jedi. Maybe it could be even a fresh face that's introduced, maybe like the son of Darth Marr? Or the son of Chancellor Janarus who would be a Jedi Knight?

So yes, this is my little rant about KotFE, KotET and the romance offered in them. I am very curious about the thoughts of the community and whether you agree with what I wrote. Do you think the romances in the last two expansions was also underwhelming? Did you want to see more build up with little scenes between the PC and their love interest like in the original game?

TL;DR: The romances in KotFE and KotET are in my opinion underwhelming and should be expanded upon, either in future content or retroactively, through short scenes, like we had in the original game, inbetween chapters to build up a romance narrative with our chosen love interests. Also, marrying the KotFE and KotET romance options such as Lana or Theron should also be implemented.

Note: a friendly reminder to put all spoilers or talk of spoilers in spoiler tags, especially when you're planning to reference content that has not yet been released, hasn't been announced by the Devs and is subject to change. You can refer to any of that, if you really must, as "the particular thing that must not be named", but try to do that as little as possible and only if it has relevance to the subject of this thread.

Edited by Ylliarus

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree the romance options in the new expansions were almost sidelined, it was just a lot of meaningless flirting options with characters such as Malcom and Acina (wouldnt mind romancing Acina she is an interesting character). I felt forced to romance Lana, though she is good and all I prefer Vette and Kira and the vanilla game romances. We even got Vette back and the chemistry between the warrior and her is just gone, its like she forgot who my Jugg was :( Like you said they made the romance scenes more fancy with new animations and graphic but they took the depth away. Now it just feels like relationships out of convenience. I just hope WHEN and IF Kira comes back she remembers my knight XD or at least comments on the fact that I betrayed her for Lana. It would also be cool if there was an option to dump Lana for Kira LOL. I think Bioware could make use of the cantina on odessen or a spot on Iokath for more companion interaction and romance pursuits. My last note will be let us romance SATELE SHAN plz!!!!! :D

Well said, and I agree. I thought that the romances with Lana and Theron were some of the best stuff in KOTFE/KOTET - Lana in particular, I just adore her and the romance journey she has with the player. which isn't moonlight and roses but is very intense. And I love the Iokath interactions.

But as the OP here said - there could have been so, so much more with it. Why not have a companion quest line for the romances, the way they had in vanilla? More cut scenes, or even a supplementary chapter? I'd personally pay for a quest line with the love interest - sending them on vacation or another adventure.

And giving the player a chance to marry or have some sort of Force blessing/ritual with Lana, Theron or Koth (I could actually see Lana totally going for some ancient Sith/Force love ceremony as opposed to a traditional wedding) would be really, really nice. It could even be done as its own quest chain, or a bonus quest line to buy (hey, weddings cost money). The player could get to decide which companions to invite or invite other player friends as guests (the same way you can enter someone else's story area as a silent observer).

. It would also be cool if there was an option to dump Lana for Kira LOL.

If your old companion comes back you do have the option to break up with Lana/Theron/Koth - by choosing to resume your old romance you end the one with L/T/K. So that exists at least.

I totally agree the romance options in the new expansions were almost sidelined, it was just a lot of meaningless flirting options with characters such as Malcom and Acina (wouldnt mind romancing Acina she is an interesting character). I felt forced to romance Lana, though she is good and all I prefer Vette and Kira and the vanilla game romances. We even got Vette back and the chemistry between the warrior and her is just gone, its like she forgot who my Jugg was :( Like you said they made the romance scenes more fancy with new animations and graphic but they took the depth away. Now it just feels like relationships out of convenience. I just hope WHEN and IF Kira comes back she remembers my knight XD or at least comments on the fact that I betrayed her for Lana. It would also be cool if there was an option to dump Lana for Kira LOL. I think Bioware could make use of the cantina on odessen or a spot on Iokath for more companion interaction and romance pursuits. My last note will be let us romance SATELE SHAN plz!!!!! :D

Exactly! Acina would have been a very interesting romance option especially if you'd be able to marry her. That would truly make the alliance you set up with the Sith Empire feel more worthwhile, or with Jace Malcom if you pick the Republic as your ally. Adding [Flirt] to a dialogue option is not the same as actually having a romance narrative. That is something I feel Bioware has forgotten sadly.

Also, I know resources and the lack of them are likely a reason why we didn't get more elaborate companion interactions in between chapters. But that's the entire issue with Bioware and their drive to win back subscribers. They add new shiny stuff such as the Eternal Championship or Iokath PVP, but they don't see that the key to winning back subscribers is much easier... just go back to what you did in the original game. Don't try to be something new with SWTOR, just be the SWTOR you were before all the expansions. Go back to the story content you implemented in the vanilla game, Republic vs Empire, Jedi vs Sith, class story individuality and classes mattering in story content... that is what gave you subscribers, that is what made SWTOR such a great game and the lack of those things in new content is what pushed players and subscribers away from the game.

The time Bioware invested unnecessarily in for example the Eternal Championship or Iokath PvP they could have invested in companion dialogue scenes in between chapters of KotFE and KotET and writing and developing deep and meaningful romance interactions. That is what we players want to see and that or better said returning to that is what will bring back subscribers.

Edited by Ylliarus

If your old companion comes back you do have the option to break up with Lana/Theron/Koth - by choosing to resume your old romance you end the one with L/T/K. So that exists at least.

Mhmm maybe I have overlooked or missed that option, its been a while since ive have played that storyline :D. Thanks for the clarification though!

Exactly! Acina would have been a very interesting romance option especially if you'd be able to marry her. That would truly make the alliance you set up with the Sith Empire feel more worthwhile, or with Jace Malcom if you pick the Republic as your ally. Adding [Flirt] to a dialogue option is not the same as actually having a romance narrative. That is something I feel Bioware has forgotten sadly.

Also, I know resources and the lack of them are likely a reason why we didn't get more elaborate companion interactions in between chapters. But that's the entire issue with Bioware and their drive to win back subscribers. They add new shiny stuff such as the Eternal Championship or Iokath PVP, but they don't see that the key to winning back subscribers is much easier... just go back to what you did in the original game. Don't try to be something new with SWTOR, just be the SWTOR you were before all the expansions. Go back to the story content you implemented in the vanilla game, Republic vs Empire, Jedi vs Sith, class story individuality and classes mattering in story content... that is what gave you subscribers, that is what made SWTOR such a great game and the lack of those things in new content is what pushed players and subscribers away from the game.

The time Bioware invested unnecessarily in for example the Eternal Championship or Iokath PvP they could have invested in companion dialogue scenes in between chapters of KotFE and KotET and writing and developing deep and meaningful romance interactions. That is what we players want to see and that or better said returning to that is what will bring back subscribers.

You are totally right, I think Bioware is trying too hard to win back the subscribers and pumping out the wrong kind of content, its great they are still making new content for the game alas not the sort that majority of people are looking for. I know that they have a lot less resources to work with now, but I would be more encouraged to subscribe if they took the extra time to polish their content and add more depth into the story content. I thought the Iokath daily area was a huge let down its almost as dead a blackhole XD and I would rather do blackhole dailies (the Iokath ones have stupid credit and shard prices for some dailies). The new expansions were meant to go back to the roots of the game which was story telling, the best thing that has come from the new content is the raid hahaha the story was fine just lacked that extra polish that most people were looking for.

You are totally right, I think Bioware is trying too hard to win back the subscribers and pumping out the wrong kind of content, its great they are still making new content for the game alas not the sort that majority of people are looking for. I know that they have a lot less resources to work with now, but I would be more encouraged to subscribe if they took the extra time to polish their content and add more depth into the story content. I thought the Iokath daily area was a huge let down its almost as dead a blackhole XD and I would rather do blackhole dailies (the Iokath ones have stupid credit and shard prices for some dailies). The new expansions were meant to go back to the roots of the game which was story telling, the best thing that has come from the new content is the raid hahaha the story was fine just lacked that extra polish that most people were looking for.

Exactly and the fact people were told we were going back to the roots of the game but that didn't end up happening is what pushed many away. Yes, KotFE and KotET were very story-oriented which was amazing, however, the direction of the story was completely not what players wanted or were asking for. We were suddenly taken away from our original factions, put in a abstract third faction and completely lost class story individuality. Companions were made to feel like interchangeable furniture and all of those things were one of the main reasons people were leaving, aside from the lack of group content of course. But I am convinced the narrative and the direction the narrative went was one of the other reasons too.

Bioware should stop trying to come up with something new for the game and instead polish up the stuff that made the game great. Go back to Republic vs Empire, Jedi vs Sith. Go back to class stories being unique or at least bring that back as much as is possible with the available resources. Go back to the original game companion interactions where they were given meaning and depth. Bioware could garner so much more favour for Lana, Theron or Koth if they had given them companion scenes like in the original game.

Exactly and the fact people were told we were going back to the roots of the game but that didn't end up happening is what pushed many away. Yes, KotFE and KotET were very story-oriented which was amazing, however, the direction of the story was completely not what players wanted or were asking for. We were suddenly taken away from our original factions, put in a abstract third faction and completely lost class story individuality. Companions were made to feel like interchangeable furniture and all of those things were one of the main reasons people were leaving, aside from the lack of group content of course. But I am convinced the narrative and the direction the narrative went was one of the other reasons too.

Bioware should stop trying to come up with something new for the game and instead polish up the stuff that made the game great. Go back to Republic vs Empire, Jedi vs Sith. Go back to class stories being unique or at least bring that back as much as is possible with the available resources. Go back to the original game companion interactions where they were given meaning and depth. Bioware could garner so much more favour for Lana, Theron or Koth if they had given them companion scenes like in the original game.

Bioware is fighting a losing battle, I feel like they are at the point if they dont get it right by the end of this year SWTOR will eventually die in the next few years. I know subscription is not expensive I am totally willing to subscribe I am just having a hard time trying to find the motivation to enjoy the game like I used to. I still love the game and I dont want it to die (Ive invested a lot in this game) but really its not been looking to great over the last couple of months its hit a stagnation phase for sure. Getting back more to the original topic though XD romance in Bioware games is fundamental the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series had great romances so did SWTOR vanilla but hopefully the roadmap for 2017 sheds some light on the whole romance and companion section of the game!

Are ladies really that desperate for a male force user romance, you'll go for the man that locked their characters away for 5 years, tried to kill them numerous times, nearly destroyed the galaxy and everything they worked for?

Yet Quinn 'betrays' them once, and he ends up dying violently for it over 1/2 a decade after the fact?

Surely there are better options out there.

Are ladies really that desperate for a male force user romance, you'll go for the man that locked their characters away for 5 years, tried to kill them numerous times, nearly destroyed the galaxy and everything they worked for?

Yet Quinn 'betrays' them once, and he ends up dying violently for it over 1/2 a decade after the fact?

I think Arcann would be a good romance option as would Vaylin (though I dont know how they would incorporate it) both very dark characters, twisted romances are complex :D can be interesting and more fun. Not a big fan of boot licker Quinn, dont know why you want to romance him haha though as warrior companions go they dont have very good male romance options imo (some of the best females though).

It's not only the ladies that would want a male force user romance ;) well, at the moment I don't have another option available. Lord Cytherat is a possibility but he has been killed in some people's playthroughs. Lord Scourge only really has a connection with the Jedi Knight, so you'd only limit it to a female Jedi Knight and exclude other classes unless you'd devise a damn good narrative around it. Other male force users don't spring to mind and from Charles' replies in a thread about this subject I doubt Bioware would put making a new character over returning old ones at this point in time. So Arcann really is the only suitable character at the moment.

What about Novo? He's the Knight of Zakuul (so, a Force user) that gets away in Chapter 3 of KOTFE (when you have the option to let Lana kill another Knight, or let him go), and he comes back later and has an interesting bit of interaction with the Outlander. Depending on how you go in your second encounter with him, there can be an opening for future interaction. So there's a Force-using male character that has a history with the Outlander regardless of their class. No, he's not alive in everyone's playthrough, but neither is Arcann.

IMHO they *could* make Scourge a possible LI for everyone, if they wrote it correctly. And they could have Lord C. come back, although that would only be a love interest for male characters.

I really don't understand how anyone would want to romance Arcann or Quinn after The Incident - someone who tries to kill you and hurt your loved ones is abusive, and Arcann is a genocidal despot, and it just seems off to me. But then again there are millions of women who loved Edward from Twilight and Christian Gray, too.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Said ladies because it seems they're the only ones vocal about wanting Arcann, and I think you didn't include mlm fans in the OP.

Hopefully, the writers can give a male force user romance that hasn't tried to kill everybody, including them.

And if Cythrarat comes back, he should stay gay. Bad enough he fell victim to "bury your gays" trope, he doesn't need his sexuality to be rewritten too.

Edited by vadess

What about Novo? He's the Knight of Zakuul (so, a Force user) that gets away in Chapter 3 of KOTFE (when you have the option to let Lana kill another Knight, or let him go), and he comes back later and has an interesting bit of interaction with the Outlander. Depending on how you go in your second encounter with him, there can be an opening for future interaction. So there's a Force-using male character that has a history with the Outlander regardless of their class. No, he's not alive in everyone's playthrough, but neither is Arcann.

IMHO they *could* make Scourge a possible LI for everyone, if they wrote it correctly, too. And they could have Lord C. come back, although that would only be a love interest for male characters.

I really don't understand how anyone would want to romance Arcann or Quinn after The Incident - someone who tries to kill you and hurt your loved ones is abusive, and Arcann is a genocidal despot, and it just seems off to me. But then again there are millions of women who loved Edward from Twilight and Christian Gray, too.

Novo is a very interesting character that could be indeed a romance option. The problem with him however is that in some people's playthroughs he is dead and in others not. That shouldn't stop him from becoming a romance option of course, so when thinking along those lines then indeed Cytherat could become a romance option upon his return (but from what we know thus far he only likes men). But Novo is an interesting suggestion, indeed, I had forgotten about him. A Knight of Zakuul would be a curious romance to see unfold, especially since the Outlander is the big bad scary being that Zakuulans tell one another wants to destroy them, so it would give interesting interactions.

Novo is a very interesting character that could be indeed a romance option. The problem with him however is that in some people's playthroughs he is dead and in others not. That shouldn't stop him from becoming a romance option of course, so when thinking along those lines then indeed Cytherat could become a romance option upon his return (but from what we know thus far he only likes men). But Novo is an interesting suggestion, indeed, I had forgotten about him. A Knight of Zakuul would be a curious romance to see unfold, especially since the Outlander is the big bad scary being that Zakuulans tell one another wants to destroy them, so it would give interesting interactions.

Definitely - I think in some ways it could even be more intriguing than a Jedi-Sith cross romance. The Jedi and Sith don't like each other, but the Knights have been told to go after the Outlander specifically - it's personal. And depending on the choices the Outlander has made, Novo has perhaps mixed messages about them, and that can make for an even more interesting romance storyline.

They could possibly get around the issue of Novo being dead in some play throughs by creating another Knight from the same template to be the love interest - given that there are a squillion Knights and Horizon guards still floating around Zakuul, it's not unreasonable that there could be a male Knight who takes a positive interest in the Outlander or finds their way to the Alliance somehow. It would be a way to create a new character without too much legwork...

Definitely - I think in some ways it could even be more intriguing than a Jedi-Sith cross romance. The Jedi and Sith don't like each other, but the Knights have been told to go after the Outlander specifically - it's personal. And depending on the choices the Outlander has made, Novo has perhaps mixed messages about them, and that can make for an even more interesting romance storyline.

They could possibly get around the issue of Novo being dead in some play throughs by creating another Knight from the same template to be the love interest - given that there are a squillion Knights and Horizon guards still floating around Zakuul, it's not unreasonable that there could be a male Knight who takes a positive interest in the Outlander or finds their way to the Alliance somehow. It would be a way to create a new character without too much legwork...

You know, y'all turned me into a big support of this :D I think Novo would be a great character to have as a romance option. Like Acina he could be given a slightly more unique look to really give him that high-res appearance. An interesting thing to add is that we, based on our own faction and alignment, could push him to either the Dark Side or the Light, so that he won't be a static personality but for each person will be different. The influence system from the KOTOR 2 game could be slightly tied to it, where you companions' alignment also was based on the Exile's.

Mhmm maybe I have overlooked or missed that option, its been a while since ive have played that storyline :D. Thanks for the clarification though!

When you make the choices in conversation to rekindle the romance with your old companion, you should get one of those warning boxes, ie, 'you are about to restart your romance with (old companion), this will end any other romances you have...' You should also get a cut scene where Lana, Koth or Theron breaks up with you.

You know, y'all turned me into a big support of this :D I think Novo would be a great character to have as a romance option. Like Acina he could be given a slightly more unique look to really give him that high-res appearance. An interesting thing to add is that we, based on our own faction and alignment, could push him to either the Dark Side or the Light, so that he won't be a static personality but for each person will be different. The influence system from the KOTOR 2 game could be slightly tied to it, where you companions' alignment also was based on the Exile's.

They could really do a lot with this, and develop Novo in some very interesting ways. He's got a totally different take on the Force than the Outlander and the people the Outlander is around. They've already done the Dark/Light companion switch with Jaesa, so that is possible, and some of the characters in KOTFE do react to the Outlander's alignment (I replayed KOTFE Chapter 3 with my SW aligned to the Light Side, and was amazed that Lana said different things to her here and there), so the mechanics are in place to make that happen.

I thought the Lana and Theron romances were pretty well done, Lana probably the best since she actually rescues you. Theron's getting his share of the story, now, on Iokath and I'm glad. They write him as so lovable. *heart eyes*

But really, this game isn't a dating sim and people left the first go around because of lack of end game group content and pvp, they didn't stay because they got to marry Mako. I'm all for more cute kissy scenes with my bae, but I feel like you have to be realistic in your expectations. I don't think it makes any sense for them to go back and add more to Kotfeet. The saga was about you overthrowing the Valkorions and the focus should remain on that. I feel like they included enough scenes to remind you that, hey, you've got someone who loves you and believes in you and someone to come home to if you win.

As far as marriage, I wouldn't think the option would come up until all the LI's have been returned. I know people have a pretty good idea whether they'd dump Lana if Kira came back, but you never really know until you see *how* they're brought back and *why* they've been gone. I'd hate to propose to Theron because I thought Vector had forgotten about my agent and then have him come back in a really sweet way (long shot, I know)

I don't consider the Kotet story really over, Iokath is a continuation of it and so there's plenty of opportunity to keep adding more. I think the best opportunity for more romance will come with the return of the remaining LI's. There is a lot to unpack and explore with each one's story and Lana and Theron can be a big part of that, too. Quinn and Dorne were a let down so far, I hope they have more planned for each. I don't know why they didn't explore the anguish of Lana or Theron seeing their love reunite with their spouse. That could have been sooooo dramatic and fun.

This got way more rambly than I intended. I'll close with the opinion that Arcann can DIAF and if he becomes the sole female force using LI, my characters and I will cry.

Pretty sure Novo's married. If you spare him in your second fight, you get mail from his husband, thanking you for giving him a chance.

I'm pretty sure that's Balisk who is married. Not Novo. His first partner, Tanek, always dies, whether by Lana or Vaylin, and he gets another partner, Balisk, who sends the mail if spared and is married.

I thought the Lana and Theron romances were pretty well done, Lana probably the best since she actually rescues you. Theron's getting his share of the story, now, on Iokath and I'm glad. They write him as so lovable. *heart eyes*

But really, this game isn't a dating sim and people left the first go around because of lack of end game group content and pvp, they didn't stay because they got to marry Mako. I'm all for more cute kissy scenes with my bae, but I feel like you have to be realistic in your expectations. I don't think it makes any sense for them to go back and add more to Kotfeet. The saga was about you overthrowing the Valkorions and the focus should remain on that. I feel like they included enough scenes to remind you that, hey, you've got someone who loves you and believes in you and someone to come home to if you win.

As far as marriage, I wouldn't think the option would come up until all the LI's have been returned. I know people have a pretty good idea whether they'd dump Lana if Kira came back, but you never really know until you see *how* they're brought back and *why* they've been gone. I'd hate to propose to Theron because I thought Vector had forgotten about my agent and then have him come back in a really sweet way (long shot, I know)

I don't consider the Kotet story really over, Iokath is a continuation of it and so there's plenty of opportunity to keep adding more. I think the best opportunity for more romance will come with the return of the remaining LI's. There is a lot to unpack and explore with each one's story and Lana and Theron can be a big part of that, too. Quinn and Dorne were a let down so far, I hope they have more planned for each. I don't know why they didn't explore the anguish of Lana or Theron seeing their love reunite with their spouse. That could have been sooooo dramatic and fun.

This got way more rambly than I intended. I'll close with the opinion that Arcann can DIAF and if he becomes the sole female force using LI, my characters and I will cry.

When not comparing the romances to any content prior to KotFE and KotET then they were good indeed. I like Lana and Theron a lot but KotFE and KotET are not stand-alone games, they're a continuation of the original game so it's natural for me to compare the two. The interactions we got with original companions was much deeper than anything we got with Lana or Theron. Do we know anything of Lana's past life? She only talks about the current state of the galaxy and what had happened since you as the Outlander were imprisoned, but we hear nothing of her time as a Sith Acolyte, what she was up to as an Apprentice, how she got elevated to Sith Lord. Compare that to the dialogue scenes with the original companions and you can clearly see the lack of depth we do get with them but not with the post-KotFE companions. Theron indeed got a little more fleshed out in the Iokath arc but that should have been done way earlier. His depth should have been added right after the moment we got reunited with him in KotFE, not after both expansions.

And it saddens me a bit that people don't consider going back and re-doing stuff as something that could help the game. If something is unfinished namely I was always taught to first go and complete it before starting something new, otherwise incomplete stuff will build upon incomplete stuff until you have something with a lot of holes and faults in it. I get it, the focus also needs to remain on different stuff like flashpoints, new story content, warzones and operations as well as QoL stuff, but in my opinion any extra time the devs have should not be put into trying to do something revolutionary but truly go back to the roots of the game, the roots that brought it, it's success and larger playerbase. That could be achieved by going back and adding companion interaction scenes, at least with your love interests, inbetween chapters like we had in the original game. Now, I am certain you'll say "but then I'd have to make a new toon to get that interaction". Not necessarily, you could make the companion interactions work retroactively for people who already completed both expansions, in the sense that you simply go to them and have the happen as if you are doing them from the start. The only thing would be that you'd then get everything in a row while when playing KotFE and KotET on a new toon you'd get the scenes as intended inbetween chapters. That way you'd satisfy both the players who already went through the two expansions and the players who still have to or want to do so again.

While KotET isn't over yet and all that is coming now is a continuation, it's very much like you yourself say. There is no depth over the break up when the PC is reunited with their original love interest. I know it's small, I know some people may consider it irrelevant compared to the lack of operations, but a Bioware game should have depth and a deep meaning, it's what they are known for. To simply gloss over stuff like that is very much unlike them, and I get that in large part it's due to a lack of resources, but if the Devs would focus more on what made them succesful in the past than trying to figure out how to become succesful anew, then I think they'd win back a lot more subscribers and have players return to the game.