Devs Please Consider Free Weapon Use!

GrandMasterKiswa

I believe it would make the game so much better if force sensitive were allowed to use whatever type of light saber they want. Such as double bladed, single bladed and even duel wielding. And all non force sensitive should be able to use whatever gun they want! This change would be done for aesthetic change, This change should not effect and player stats etc.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I would love for this to happen, I don't think it ever will. Much like the little icons above our heads, they are a visual indicator to the class of character. Adaptive armour means even light armour wearing inquisitors can look like full heavy armour, half robot bounty hunters... the weapons are the indicator (well, and the icons).

I would much prefer to have weapon slot on outfit designer tab and swap between rifle looks as often as outfits, without having to go trough remodding and augmenting every time i feel like changing weapons.

So many great looking weapons just wasted because nobody wants to remod for the sake of looks.

Edited by Kiesu

While I would love for this to happen, I don't think it ever will. Much like the little icons above our heads, they are a visual indicator to the class of character. Adaptive armour means even light armour wearing inquisitors can look like full heavy armour, half robot bounty hunters... the weapons are the indicator (well, and the icons).

Why does it matter if there is a visual indication of our class or not? I love this idea as well, it always irked me that agents couldn't use a blaster even though a good many cut scenes show us using one.

I would much prefer to have weapon slot on outfit designer tab and swap between rifle looks as often as outfits, without having to go trough remodding and augmenting every time i feel like changing weapons.

So many great looking weapons just wasted because nobody wants to remod for the sake of looks.

That's a awesome idea!

Hell yes. I mean makes no sense for me to run around as an operative lugging around a big huge rifle. Plus every scene I have this pistol I can't use while my rifle is slung over my back as a trooper or operative!

I'd also like for Troopers and BHs, to be able to use Tech blades and tech staves. For the trooper instead of having a a shield generator, they should have an off hand say Ion gun, that can also do their grenade launching abilities. That way Troopers and BHs(who don't need that gun, have the off hand railgun/missile launcher) could have a melee option.

Hell yes. I mean makes no sense for me to run around as an operative lugging around a big huge rifle. Plus every scene I have this pistol I can't use while my rifle is slung over my back as a trooper or operative!

I'd also like for Troopers and BHs, to be able to use Tech blades and tech staves. For the trooper instead of having a a shield generator, they should have an off hand say Ion gun, that can also do their grenade launching abilities. That way Troopers and BHs(who don't need that gun, have the off hand railgun/missile launcher) could have a melee option.

Pretty much this /signed

The reason Agents and Troopers have blaster pistols in cutscenes (for those that might not know) is for ease of programming in those cutscenes. Both Trooper and Agent have the potential to change weapon proficiencies completely when they choose their advanced classes (going from rifles to either assault cannons or sniper rifles), so the programmers gave them pistols during cutscenes so they'd have something "in common" in their arsenal no matter what path they took. Plus, for non-class cutscenes (flashpoints, world story missions, side quests, anything that isn't class-specific), this also allows them to share choreography with Smugglers/Bounty Hunters who already use pistols.

None of this means I'm disagreeing with the idea of this thread, of course; I'd love to be able to throw a saber staff onto something besides a Shadow/Assassin so I can play a saber staff wielder that ISN'T reliant on stealthing around. Problem is, this isn't the small change it seems like on the surface. Even if they didn't actually recode, say, a Jedi Sentinel to be able to actually wield a saber staff and just make it a new feature of the outfit system (throw a staff into an outfit tab, but your character is really still wielding two single sabers), they'd still have to make entirely new animations for nearly every attack in the game--Force Charge with saber staves, Zealous Strike with a single saber, Assassinate with dual sabers, etc. Same with blasters--they'd have to make pistol-based animations for all the rifle/cannon/sniper rifle attacks out there, rifle based ones for all the others, etc. It's more work than you're thinking it is, and I doubt Bioware will ever actually do it.

Now, again, that's not to say that they SHOULDN'T. As I said, I'd love it if they did, so consider me another /signed on this. I'm just not particularly optimistic about the chances of it ever happening.

I have just one question. Would you also want the specific weapon requirements for certain skill to also be removed?

As there are more than just a few skill that require certain weapons, like double bladed lightsabers or electrostaffs for Assassins and Shadows. Also I would totally love the ability to completely HIDE my weapon as a Sorcerer or Sage. They never use the damn thing so WHY do I have to always hold it when I have Better things to with my hands like, I don't know.....HEALING, Lightning/Force Projections, and Various Force Spells!! Just saying.

Even if they do not commit to anything but just acknowledge that this is going up on the "Wall of Crazy" I would be VERY Happy!!

EDIT: Maybe Operatives/Commandos should also have a hide option?

Edited by MiloUto

This has bee asked since the game was being made. BW's "reasoning" was that it was necessary that weapons are locked so that people could know who was what class. Which is still BS.

They really need to do an actual combat overhaul and allow force-sensitives to use any saber, and non force users to use the various pistols, rifles, and assault cannons.

this has bee asked since the game was being made. Bw's "reasoning" was that it was necessary that weapons are locked so that people could know who was what class. Which is still bs.

They really need to do an actual combat overhaul and allow force-sensitives to use any saber, and non force users to use the various pistols, rifles, and assault cannons.

soooo much that ^^^^^^^^^^^

This has bee asked since the game was being made. BW's "reasoning" was that it was necessary that weapons are locked so that people could know who was what class. Which is still BS.

Sign me up for this, too. Why wouldn't a great BH know how to use a freaking rifle? And wouldn't a skilled assassin be just as, if not more, proficient with a single-blade saber as a double? Wouldn't a trooper know how to use a pistol?

It's ludicrous. Given the state of PvP in this game, the reasoning that we need to recognize class through weapon is irrelevant. That's not how anyone does it.

Do they?

Sign me up for this, too. Why wouldn't a great BH know how to use a freaking rifle? And wouldn't a skilled assassin be just as, if not more, proficient with a single-blade saber as a double? Wouldn't a trooper know how to use a pistol?

It's ludicrous. Given the state of PvP in this game, the reasoning that we need to recognize class through weapon is irrelevant. That's not how anyone does it.

Do they?

Nope I see a sniper attacking me from a good distance kneeling, I know its a sniper, not by the rifle. If I see someone casting in the background with robes on, more then likely its a force user casting, and I need only determine if its a healer. As one poster already said been asking for it and never going to get it.

it's there just to give the class's and skill tree a difference in general from one another and nothing more. Otherwise if they were all the same why bother having different class's and trees in the first place.

They have different abilities I here you say? well the weapon's is just a part of that difference.

As such I am against this idea.

it's there just to give the class's and skill tree a difference in general from one another and nothing more. Otherwise if they were all the same why bother having different class's and trees in the first place.

They have different abilities I here you say? well the weapon's is just a part of that difference.

As such I am against this idea.

it wouldn't change the class or stats. It a aesthetic piece. It shouldn't effect characters roles.

Wait a second there. A classes main difference compared to others is the way they fight, as well as what they are good at. Even tank classes have differences in their overall approach to tanking. That's the very reason you cannot simply use a Shadow tanking spec/gearing guide for your Guardian tank. If we would argue based on the idea you are proposing here, we would have to include armour restrictions in the custom designer.

If we define a classes identity by including potential gear restrictions, the custom designer would be a lot more useless. Otherwise my Consular could not wear the Shrewd Rascal armour, seeing it isn't "Jedi like", or even remotely resembles the light armour present in the game. Or he couldn't wear the Ancient Ardent Blade Vestment, seeing it is medium armour mainly designed around Sentinels.

The fact that gear restrictions make a class unique went out of the window when Bioware decided to include the long anticipated feature of an appearance tab. We could also argue that Bioware made some mistakes when choosing the iconic templates for their classes. They choose Jango Fett's dual pistol style as the template for the mercenary class, when the more famous bounty hunter actually wields a rifle and only uses a pistol as a sidearm.

As seen here.

We could argue as for how reasonable it is for force classes to use non-restricted items, seeing that a Sage probably won't go for a double-bladed lightsaber, but the most iconic "Sentinel" characters actually used one. For example Bastila Shan.

The fact that the article says "Sentinels always wielded dual lightsabers during the Cold War" is due to the fact that Bioware desperately had to come up with advanced class names, but wasn't ready to put a lot of thought into the lore when the names were concerned. That's why we had the issue of "Jedi Wizard", changing it to "Jedi Sage" during the last possible moment.

A bounty hunter will stay a bounty hunter, regardless of what weapon he uses. My mercenary won't lose his class identity by using a blaster rifle. His class identity is due to the fact that he uses rockets/launchers/jetpacks/flamethrowers to fight. And as with all cosmetic ideas: If you believe that your character's class identity is heavily influenced by him using dual lightsabers as a "Sentinel", keep the dual lightsabers and use those. That doesn't mean that everyone who has played KOTOR needs to think the same thing. For me, Bastila Shan is the class identity of a "Jedi Sentinel". She uses a yellow dual blade lightsaber.

I am pretty sure they will be happy to re-do all weapon attack animations.

Funnily enough, there are already different animations in the game. Kira has a Master Strike animation when she utilizes her saberstaff. Why can't the Guardians riposte animation be used as a Shadows single blade backstab animation? There are also NPC Mandalorians who use blaster rifles and can do a flamethrower/rocket launch.

Re-do all weapon attack animations? More like finding the correct one in the data file and integrate them into the proper code/script.

Why not ask for Wookiees as a player race, too? And faction change?

Implying that we didn't do that already. And be sarcastic as you want: My Wookiee Jedi in Galaxies was awesome. And don't get me started on how great Ithorian/Calamari Jedi were. :rak_03:

I take it your generel understanding of any issue that includes people asking for diversity is I believe it is bull****, therefore I must ridicule it to disguise that I have no proper and coherent argument against including more diversity?

Edited by Alssaran