Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Huttball ( Vandin ) PVP map - feedback...?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Huttball ( Vandin ) PVP map - feedback...?

Storm-Cutter's Avatar


Storm-Cutter
10.03.2018 , 08:22 AM | #1
I can't see any other threads on this specifically.

How are people finding it? What do you think? Or am I the only one that still likes Huttball?

FWIW I like it coz it's Huttball, but it'd by my third choice if I had to rank each HB map in preference.

I think It's too much like the original map, but they made it too big, too fussy and pretty much the same kind of layout. I was hoping for a more compact space, with plenty of open areas, with just a few obstacles and such to LoS behind.
It would be nice to have some new mechanics, and some traps they you had to go around or leap across instead of the ineffective acid and roll-through poison gas and flames.

I like additional grapple points, not sure I'm keen on being basted back to my own side at times. - I kinda like the sides with the power-ups, though they aren't anything new TBH.

It's not an improvement on classic HB- just bigger and more fussy. I can't expect melee and AoE classes to like it much since everything seems a lot more spread out.

Thoughts, anyone?
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
10.03.2018 , 08:44 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm-Cutter View Post
I can't see any other threads on this specifically.

How are people finding it? What do you think? Or am I the only one that still likes Huttball?

FWIW I like it coz it's Huttball, but it'd by my third choice if I had to rank each HB map in preference.

I think It's too much like the original map, but they made it too big, too fussy and pretty much the same kind of layout. I was hoping for a more compact space, with plenty of open areas, with just a few obstacles and such to LoS behind.
It would be nice to have some new mechanics, and some traps they you had to go around or leap across instead of the ineffective acid and roll-through poison gas and flames.

I like additional grapple points, not sure I'm keen on being basted back to my own side at times. - I kinda like the sides with the power-ups, though they aren't anything new TBH.

It's not an improvement on classic HB- just bigger and more fussy. I can't expect melee and AoE classes to like it much since everything seems a lot more spread out.

Thoughts, anyone?
I think it was smart how they made it. They made the map huge, at least it sure seems bigger and the maze to get to the other side is more complex so you can't take one simple beeline to the finish line.

I played my lowbie merc DPS, and found it fun for all the areas to run around things out of melee LOS to do my damage. Not sure how melee do on this map, but I seen a lowbie marauder and jugg both who matched my damage sometimes on this map so I am going to guess melee can do well on it too.

It seems poison traps hurt much more, I lackadaisically walked through one and melted dead fairly fast from the poison.

I like how the air flows have arrows letting you know which way you will get blown, I don't know if they change or if they are static, but every time I used one it pushed me to the right and showed an arrow pointing right.

I am still exploring the map tbh, so I can't add much more than this. The most noteworthy thing is I don't think class abilities will outgrow this map like they have on HB1 and HB2.

In a nutshell you cannot score easily it seems, and the map is fun navigating around to deathmatch on or to play the ball. Scoring should be challenging and it seems to be the case. It takes some cooperation of a team to move the ball due to it's size so you must pass the ball so if you don't have an objective team I imagine it might take longer to score or be a lot harder.

New Huttball map? 5/5 so far for me. Surprised; me I wasn't expecting much tbh.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
10.03.2018 , 11:22 AM | #3
Well, I saw it on the PTS, and there I had a really good experience, playing almost 100% with people who wanted to actually play huttball (with a slant towards testing the map, of course) - so I'm starting off with a positive bias.

But I like the map. I like the fact that it's bigger, which I think, when combined with the 45 second timer, encourages more passing. You can still grab the ball, run straight into the pit, and pass up to a waiting teammate for quick scores though, just like the original HB.

If you take the ramps, it does seem more convoluted so far to figure out "how do I get there!?". That might be, for me, because it's still not natural which way to go. OPG was like that for me for a while, and the map seemed HUGE. And then after I got down exactly which way to run to get to where I wanted to go, the map magically shrunk.

Operatives, I guess, can still skip a lot of the traps and walkway confusion by just rolling from the right spot directly onto the scoring platform. Unless bioware changed it from the PTS, there's a video around somewhere that Snave made that shows all the spots you can roll from. I know I was pretty surpised at how far away you can be in some spots, and still make it.

Melee vs. ranged - being melee, I haven't noticed a difference in trying to bring down the ball carrier. I'm not great at bringing down someone solo, so for trying to stop that person running ahead I'd rather stun or knock them out of position to stop the advance. I don't ever just fight in HB, so I can't tell you how it is as a deathmatch map.

I've found I can survive the poison trap if I'm starting at full health, and then pop a WZ medpack after I'm damaged. But that trap does seem nasty. I think because the sound for it is so quiet, you hardly know you've been hit by it and then you're dead. Not like the acid trap with it's FWOOSH sound.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Algaria's Avatar


Algaria
10.03.2018 , 11:36 AM | #4
well, right now, they're only death matching, the ball pick-up area is so big and open, you'd need a good healer/tank situation to get the ball away from mid. This hasn't even happened this far, ppl die left and right and get pulled away for death matching on the side. This is probably huge amounts of fun if you're in premade groups up against each other.. but then again, all maps are more fun that way.

i was very excited about this map, but it's not being played right.

Kiesu's Avatar


Kiesu
10.03.2018 , 12:21 PM | #5
Did they seriously remove CC breaker ability from ball carriers? What the actual---...
This wasn't on PTS, why was the map on pts if all the features werent.
Refer! - Pawn alignment funzies - [Add impressive e-peen brag here]
What made Origin stories superior to KotFE/ET? All 8 story characters could co-exist.
Level and world designer, comic artist, general RP nerd and occasional snark novelist.
Legions of Lettow → Tomb of Freedon Nadd → Red Eclipse → Darth Malgus.

Equeliber's Avatar


Equeliber
10.03.2018 , 12:45 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiesu View Post
Did they seriously remove CC breaker ability from ball carriers? What the actual---...
This wasn't on PTS, why was the map on pts if all the features werent.
Yep, that and massive desync make the new map unplayable.

Neulwen's Avatar


Neulwen
10.03.2018 , 01:21 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiesu View Post
Did they seriously remove CC breaker ability from ball carriers? What the actual---...
This wasn't on PTS, why was the map on pts if all the features werent.
I really dont like this change. Why do this? It just dumbs down the game and makes it less fun. Please let us use cc breaker.

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
10.03.2018 , 01:22 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Equeliber View Post
Yep, that and massive desync make the new map unplayable.
I am curious what exactly is "desync" because I honestly do not see any unplayable moments in huttball, any of them. The only thing I have seen is ops roll bugging out sometimes, and I have seen leaps do some funky things but it's not something that renders the match unplayable.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Equeliber's Avatar


Equeliber
10.03.2018 , 01:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I am curious what exactly is "desync" because I honestly do not see any unplayable moments in huttball, any of them. The only thing I have seen is ops roll bugging out sometimes, and I have seen leaps do some funky things but it's not something that renders the match unplayable.
People disappearing on your screen while still attacking you - happens a LOT in the new map (legit saw a jugg use a force choke while being invisible on the screen); teleporting around the map without using mobility skills etc.

snave's Avatar


snave
10.03.2018 , 01:37 PM | #10
The desync is terrible in this map, way worse than on the PTS and more evidence that desync is progressively becoming more of a problem.

The removal of breaker while having the ball is the stupidest change they could have possibly made. The fact they added in such a monumentally stupid change AFTER the PTS was closed makes me wonder who is the work experience boy at bioware making these changes. FYI you can't use breaker in any huttball while carrying the ball, I had a queshball earlier and it's the same there.

What's the point in holding a PTS if you're going to make massive changes after it closes with zero testing or feedback.