Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Get ready to play - activate your account

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Get ready to play - activate your account

NorthernMyst
12.22.2011 , 04:59 PM | #71
When told you get 30 days of game time that is what you should get. Not a bunch of hassles. LOL you cant even post a comment without getting a subscription. Guess they don't want to see the comments from all the people that can't access their 30 days because they dont have credit cards and dont want to waste money on time cards if they can even get them.
I received wow as a christmas gift with 30 days and played my time without having to give credit card no. or time card code. I pay when I want to play. You do not have to sign up for a subscription.
I have a friend who purchased the game with understanding he had 30 days. He has no credit card, a tight budget and no way of getting a time card. Probably doesnt even want a time card since he keeps crashing whenever he does any group activity. Not to mention the hours of time waiting in ques.
I have visited the web page to see if there is any mention of not being able to play your 30 days without having to buy a subscription. This is the closest they come to the fact ( PAID SUBSCRIPTION, VALID AND ACCEPTED PAYMENT METHOD OR PAID GAME TIME CARD (IF AVAILABLE) REQUIRED TO ACCESS GAMEPLAY)

NOTICE THE IF AVAILABLE
Seems like alot of false advertisement to me.
I feel sorry for the people who get this as a Christmas present. What joy it will bring when they load their game and find out they can't play their 30 days without a whole lot of hassle, and hours sitting in ques.

Denber
12.22.2011 , 05:12 PM | #72
So due to some paypal issues and website overusages I wasnt able to get my subscription started untill today. In the original post it states:

"Whenever you activate your account, your 30 days of free Game Time will begin. When using a credit card, ELV or Paypal, you will not be billed for your second month of play until your 30 days of free Game Time is complete. You may cancel your subscription at any time in your first 30 days of play. Your unused Game Time will still be available on your account and you can still play until this expires."

So in other words, my free 30 days should start today, no? I was able to activate it just today. I only have 27 days left according to my account info. Is that working as intended?

I dont mind getting told to try again later when setting up the subscription, but I do mind that my free days started counting while waiting to try later.

I reported this issue last week, when the site kept timing out asking to fix it before the end of prelaunch to prevent the problem, on which I never got a response. And earlier today I emailed the situation. I got a reply later on that, stating there had been some issues with paypal subscriptions but it had been fixed. At dinner time I tried again, and indeed it finally went all through. No word has been said about the 3 days I lost.

Sincerely,

Dennis

AlbedoX
12.22.2011 , 05:18 PM | #73
I agree with many of the angry ranters, however so far I entered my info and then immediately canceled my subscription and am sitting in my hour long queue to play. Still dont know if i was charged yet but based on previous complaints I'm worried that I will be.

Just wanted to address people who said this is "normal"...It isnt. I've played dozens of MMO's and the point of a subscription card is for those users who don't want to use easily hackable electronic sites...and this company should know exactly what that means given past history. Its ridiculous to make people verify with credit cards and even more ridiculous to extort the information from them by holding their already paid for subscriptions hostage. We shouldn't be forced to trust a company with a history of bad security with sensitive information.
xXx Loot Is Life xXx

Summerwine
12.22.2011 , 05:24 PM | #74
I purchased copies of this game for myself, my children, and my grandchildren. At the time of purchase, I was only able to buy 1 time card ( I got the last one the store had). Since then I have been all over this city and nobody has any more. So on Christmas day, after loading this game, my grandchildren can't play. I don't want to disapoint them, so I only have one option. Return the 5 games to the store, get a refund, and get them something they can actually use on Christmas day. I am sure I won't be the only person doing this. Not a very good marketing ploy!

Mike_Bluesky
12.22.2011 , 05:44 PM | #75
Similar situation here, there''s going to be many pissed people in Poland after trying to play the game on christmas day...

KingDom
12.22.2011 , 05:47 PM | #76
This whole deal is ********. And Bioware knows it. I cant believe that something like this can pass.

Seijirou
12.22.2011 , 06:19 PM | #77
Mind your feelings... Nerd rage leads to the Derp Side...

brooskie
12.23.2011 , 08:10 AM | #78
To confirm others posting, you can create a subscription with a credit card and then immediately cancel (and leave a long message explaining your feelings of this practice). If you have to purchase a game card, then you are just screwed out of an additional $30 if you find you don't like the game during your 30 day 'trial'.

Also- this is NOT a normal practice for MMORPGs; over the past several years I have played:

World of WarCraft
Aion
Star Trek Online
Lord of the Rings Online
Age of Conan
Dungeons and Dragons Online
Final Fantasy XI (and XIV) online
Ultima Online

...and others I cannot remember at the moment.

NONE of these games required an active subscription before the initial 30 day trial was up; this is the purpose of being a 'trial'- if the game is good, I will create a permanent account and subscribe- but if it sucks I don't have to worry about having my personal information and CC# info on yet another server on the internet.

Anyone that says different is very misinformed and doesn't know what they are talking about -or perhaps trying to circulate misinformation on behalf of EA/BioWare? (Mayhaps this is normal for EA MMORPGs?)

This practice is complete BS and will be a complete PR nightmare as it taints the shiny, new image for an otherwise fairly enjoyable game.

mrtacos
12.23.2011 , 08:38 PM | #79
you dont get charged instantly IF you choose one month at any time you can cancel that every other thing you do so hope that helps it helped me!

PhillJohnDavis
12.24.2011 , 02:09 PM | #80
Hello,
I have a feeling I will be purchasing this as a gift after Christmas for my little brother and I was wondering will he get he one month free game time or will I have to get a prepaid card. Thanks very much
Yie