Ops tank

memnanth

I'm an off and on again player looking into starting to tank some ops, and I was hoping to get some feedback on whether or not my gear was ready for it. I'm in mostly 156 mods, with the following stats with the 4 class buffs but not kinetic ward up:

Shield Chance: 31.66

Absorb Amount: 30.44

Health: 33285

Armor: 7128

Damage reduction 35.75

Defense Chance 22.6

What kind of ops can I tank with these stats? Would I be expected to know fights going into them?

For future reference: it's a lot easier for us to tell how your gear is doing if you give us your ratings, rather than %s. It's possible to back calculate them, but most people who could give you a solid answer here are going to figure out your ratings before they make a judgment call, so go with ratings next time.

Honestly, you're fine to tank all story mode operations in the game. Grab your set bonus, it's worth a ton, and try to stick to 8 man operations, where a lot less damage goes out, and its easier on the tanks. As for knowing the fights, it depends on the group. You should probably learn a bit about the fights, as much of tanking successfully is knowing the fight, and knowing what to do when. Look up the fights on Dulfy, they cover all the essentials for a fight, and then as you do them, learn what works best for you.

So it'd be better to know I've got 484 defense rating, 564 shield rating, and 244 absorption, and 7128 armor?

Any particular reason why (just for curiousity's sake). Thanks for the help.

The armor rating isn't so important, the DR is pretty indicative of your relative gear level, but the absorb, defense and shield chances are a little harder to work with. You've got a total mitigation budget of 1292: that tells me you aren't augmented. It's expensive, but augmenting properly buys you an extra 448 worth of mitigation stats. By knowing your mitigation budget is ~1300, I know that you've got low mitigation pieces or pieces that don't have mitigation stats on them (and instead have accuracy or alacrity). It's just a lot more indicative of your gear level, and knowing the ratings also gives a better idea of the ratios. It looks like you aren't running enough absorption pieces. At your gear level, you'd want to trade around 200 points from shield into absorb, and you'd be pretty set at that gear level. With augments, though, you'd want to pick up 1 defense augment and 13 absorb augments, if you didn't change any other gear around at all.

There's a beginner's guide to Kinetic Combat somewhere on the Shadow forums, I'll see if I can find it and link it here.

EDIT: Found it.

Edited by Aelanis

You are definitely ready to start tanking SM operations. If you have yet to get Obroan relics from pvp definitely do that. They are a huge boost, that is kinda hard to see at times, and worth the time commitment.

Definitely try to run with people who you know when doing operations. These friends are more likely to help you learn the strategies which is very important for tanking. Secondly, I definitely recommend getting your off-hand first with your Ultimate Comms. Its usually a huge upgrade and if you get a set bonus piece (from arkanian or underworld) you wont have just wasted a 180 armoring.

EDIT: On the discussion about augments, find a set of gear you like, the way it looks, and will never change out. At that point start loading in augments and you will gain a lot of stats that are needed. Mitigation is more important than health for a shadow tank, therefore augments are a great boost. You can buy augments for not too expensive either. On my server, JC, the normal MK-9 augmentation kit goes for 50k with the actually augment going for like 30k I think, it has been a long time since I bought one. To augment your gear completely the first time will take over 1 million, so start knocking out those dailies on Oricon, CZ, Section X, etc... Also, Aelanis has been giving sound advice in all his or her posts I have seen. I agree with everything previously stated by Aelanis.

Edited by Joloo

You are definitely ready to start tanking SM operations. If you have yet to get Obroan relics from pvp definitely do that. They are a huge boost, that is kinda hard to see at times, and worth the time commitment.

Definitely try to run with people who you know when doing operations. These friends are more likely to help you learn the strategies which is very important for tanking. Secondly, I definitely recommend getting your off-hand first with your Ultimate Comms. Its usually a huge upgrade and if you get a set bonus piece (from arkanian or underworld) you wont have just wasted a 180 armoring.

EDIT: On the discussion about augments, find a set of gear you like, the way it looks, and will never change out. At that point start loading in augments and you will gain a lot of stats that are needed. Mitigation is more important than health for a shadow tank, therefore augments are a great boost. You can buy augments for not too expensive either. On my server, JC, the normal MK-9 augmentation kit goes for 50k with the actually augment going for like 30k I think, it has been a long time since I bought one. To augment your gear completely the first time will take over 1 million, so start knocking out those dailies on Oricon, CZ, Section X, etc... Also, Aelanis has been giving sound advice in all his or her posts I have seen. I agree with everything previously stated by Aelanis.

Your Advanced XYZ Augment 28s only go for 30k on JC?! :eek: I'm so jealous.

On topic, another piece of advice for your gearing up phase: do not, under any circumstances, get the coms implants. They have accuracy on them, which is a stat you could be using for mitigation. Instead, play Czerka Core Meltdown Hard Mode to death until you have double Arkanian implants, or kill Titan 6 in Scum and Villainy a lot. Remember: 74 points of mitigation stat is a lot to be losing, and doing it multiple times can cripple your mitigation.

By the way, let us know what server you're on, and one of us may be able to hop into a voice chat client with you and walk you through some of the fights.

Edited by Aelanis

Your Advanced XYZ Augment 28s only go for 30k on JC?! :eek: I'm so jealous.

On topic, another piece of advice for your gearing up phase: do not, under any circumstances, get the coms implants. They have accuracy on them, which is a stat you could be using for mitigation. Instead, play Czerka Core Meltdown Hard Mode to death until you have double Arkanian implants, or kill Titan 6 in Scum and Villainy a lot. Remember: 74 points of mitigation stat is a lot to be losing, and doing it multiple times can cripple your mitigation.

By the way, let us know what server you're on, and one of us may be able to hop into a voice chat client with you and walk you through some of the fights.

He propably meant Augment slot install cost that is 35k for MK-9 slot. Augments themselves cost around 100k (Adv Resolve 28) on my server TRE that usually has quite low pricing compared to other EU servers at least.

However, blue 28 ones cost only 10k (again on TRE) and have about 5 less willpower and endurance (I'm not in game to give exact numbers, please correct me if I'm wrong)

I went with them until my Synth alt is able to craft top augments or I have additional money lying around :p

He propably meant Augment slot install cost that is 35k for MK-9 slot. Augments themselves cost around 100k (Adv Resolve 28) on my server TRE that usually has quite low pricing compared to other EU servers at least.

However, blue 28 ones cost only 10k (again on TRE) and have about 5 less willpower and endurance (I'm not in game to give exact numbers, please correct me if I'm wrong)

I went with them until my Synth alt is able to craft top augments or I have additional money lying around :p

That would make a lot more sense. They're usually in the 85-105k range on The Shadowlands. You're right, though, the blue ones have 4 less of the primary stat you want in them, for almost 1/10th of the price.