To those who have been transferred: worth it?

LTXGroundzero

(This seems like the place to ask this question, but I'm sorry in advance if it isn't) To those who have been transferred: does the game feel reinvigorated? Is it "new" and fun again? My sub ends on Sunday, and I would like to know if I should pay for a whole month just to try the experience of the new server (mine hasn't been selected for transfer yet, and with no new ones coming this weekend it looks like I'm hung out to dry)?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is definitely worth it. PvP is actually possible, the fleet has 200-400 people on it at all times, it's easy to find groups for things, and the game is overall more social and just plain more fun.

It completely reinvigorated the game for me - it doesn't feel 'new' per se (I've spent hundreds of hours of playing it thus far), but it feels fun and not at all like work (like it does if you have no one to group with).

I was on Lord Adraas before I moved to The Ebon Hawk, and PvP was available, but most other things weren't because of its relatively small population (it being the first or second most populated RP server - it still had almost no real population though.).

Pay the $15 for the month; if you like it, it's obviously worth it, and if you don't like it you lost like thirty cents per day of subscription, so it's not that big of a deal anyway. ($15 is a lot to me because I don't have a job right now (which isn't THAT big of a deal since I live with my parents), but not so much that it's not worth a month of time for a game that has a good chance of being absurdly fun.).

Totally worth it!

Instant PVP queues at all times of the day, nice to be on a populated server.

I had unsubbed a week ago and my sub was going to run out on monday.

I resubbed tonight and am looking forward to 1.3

Actually I'll pipe in with a different take. Depends on what you want from the game. I am not into PVP at all. Flashpoints and Operations are more of a bonus. I play the game for the story, for the Star Wars story line for my character, which is why I have always played and preferred BW games. Until now that has been their forte. But I am faced with a choice. Play on a server with such a low population that I can't have access to the bonuses I want, or play on a server that is so ridiculously crowded that no real RPG experience is possible. I switched to a RP server to avoid the "your gay", "your mom", crowd. To me that is not social interaction and detracts from my game experience. I wanted KOTOR but on a grander scale.

Bottom line is that if you are into the whole PVP and repeatedly doing the same quest then yes the game has been "invigorated" in that it is much easier to do now. If you are here for the story then we are back to square one. I left the server I was on (Dresdae Cantina) for an RP server because I didn't like the massive crowds. My RP server basically died so I went back to DC. By this point the pop there had dropped dramatically. Boils down to the squeaky wheel getting the grease. Everyone that is complaining is the whole PVP /Ops crowd. The game is now theirs. Lots of people, easy for the PVP que, easy to make FP groups for all the 50's that have no story line to follow. For those of us that wanted to play Star Wars, well we get to have three people on speeders run us over while we are fighting a mob cause that is kinda funny and social. Or have someone come in and take the crystal resource while you fight the mob that was by it because well that is social and fun.

Now that my server was "transferred" I have a choice of playing single on a dead server or cancelling my sub. I think I will just go buy Mass Effect 3 and play single and let the PVPers have their game. It just isn't what this old KOTOR vet expected.

My sub was cancelled today.

I transfered, and i feel like the game has given me a second wind so to speak. The GTN is alive, with over 100 pages of each armor type. Constant conversation on the fleet. Different people. It feels like an MMO should feel; social.

Actually I'll pipe in with a different take. Depends on what you want from the game. I am not into PVP at all. Flashpoints and Operations are more of a bonus. I play the game for the story, for the Star Wars story line for my character, which is why I have always played and preferred BW games. Until now that has been their forte. But I am faced with a choice. Play on a server with such a low population that I can't have access to the bonuses I want, or play on a server that is so ridiculously crowded that no real RPG experience is possible. I switched to a RP server to avoid the "your gay", "your mom", crowd. To me that is not social interaction and detracts from my game experience. I wanted KOTOR but on a grander scale.

Bottom line is that if you are into the whole PVP and repeatedly doing the same quest then yes the game has been "invigorated" in that it is much easier to do now. If you are here for the story then we are back to square one. I left the server I was on (Dresdae Cantina) for an RP server because I didn't like the massive crowds. My RP server basically died so I went back to DC. By this point the pop there had dropped dramatically. Boils down to the squeaky wheel getting the grease. Everyone that is complaining is the whole PVP /Ops crowd. The game is now theirs. Lots of people, easy for the PVP que, easy to make FP groups for all the 50's that have no story line to follow. For those of us that wanted to play Star Wars, well we get to have three people on speeders run us over while we are fighting a mob cause that is kinda funny and social. Or have someone come in and take the crystal resource while you fight the mob that was by it because well that is social and fun.

Now that my server was "transferred" I have a choice of playing single on a dead server or cancelling my sub. I think I will just go buy Mass Effect 3 and play single and let the PVPers have their game. It just isn't what this old KOTOR vet expected.

My sub was cancelled today.

I'm a bit puzzled by this entire post. You wanted to play for the story but don't want to play with others all that much...but you don't like your dead server because there is no people? I can understand you just wanting to buy the game, play through each classes story and then unsub. What was it you thoughtt you purchased? I'm not trying to be mean,I just don't get it.

(This seems like the place to ask this question, but I'm sorry in advance if it isn't) To those who have been transferred: does the game feel reinvigorated? Is it "new" and fun again? My sub ends on Sunday, and I would like to know if I should pay for a whole month just to try the experience of the new server (mine hasn't been selected for transfer yet, and with no new ones coming this weekend it looks like I'm hung out to dry)?

Does it fix the fundemental flaws found in SWTOR? No.

Does it fix the population problems almost everyone has experienced since at least just after 1.2? Yes, absolutely.

So it's not a magic wand, and serious fundemental fixes still need to go into SWTOR gameplay (IMO), but it completely fixes the server pop problems, and my server feels as alive as my old on did in Dec, Jan & Feb. :)

Definetly worth it. My old server was dead, haven't logged in at all for a month because it was impossible to play a WZ. Now on Nadd life is a lot better, I can play WZ anytime - even at odd times in the morning and queues are max 5 min long.

Last night there were over 600 people on fleet, which gives me a real MMO feeling compared to my old server where even when it was still alive there were never more then 50.

I had 7 days left before transfers, now just bought another month :D

Edited by oldshatterhand

Does it fix the fundemental flaws found in SWTOR? No.

Does it fix the population problems almost everyone has experienced since at least just after 1.2? Yes, absolutely.

So it's not a magic wand, and serious fundemental fixes still need to go into SWTOR gameplay (IMO), but it completely fixes the server pop problems, and my server feels as alive as my old on did in Dec, Jan & Feb. :)

And these fundamental flaws were blown out of proportion due to the lowered morale caused by dead servers, thus with the population issue fixed, morale raises, and these "fundamental" flaws don't seem so "fundamental" anymore. :p

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Our guild has yet to fully reform because some of us haven't transferred (though we spent tonight leveling up alts for those who did.) So from that perspective it's middle of the road. But from a soloist's perspective (I have alts on multiple servers as "getaway" toons) it's made a huge difference because of the increase in LFG options on the new higher pop servers. Edited by GalacticKegger

Incredibly worth it. At 3 AM BST this morning (bearing in mind that the rest of europe will be 4-5-6 AM), the server still had a population that dwarfed the population of my old server at peak times. The wait for warzones is now tolerable beyond the few biggest hours of the day.

In the past, the much fewer people meant that most of the long-time 50s all recognised eachother. Their was only so much room for meeting new people. Even worse it was easier for your reputation to spread like wildfire for the better or worse. Get in a disagreement with another player and you fear for finding other familiar faces will favor you less. No more is that the case because we now have an ocean of players to mingle with, removing such a large source of discouragement.

It has fixed the single largest gripe I've had with the game, and I'm still coming to terms with just how long it might be before I return to the same issues again.

I was the slightest bit hesitant at moving my main over for the fact he shares my real first name; one that I'd have no chance of keeping. I realised in no more than a glimpse that my quality of gameplay and ingame productivity would sky-rocket. My name could've been forced to MicroP***s and it wouldn't have made a mark against how content I felt. Not a doubt in my mind.

Edit: Not to mention that the galactic trade network is now wild. I didn't expect people would still be holding onto the likes of Korrealis landspeeders. And until then I'd never seen unbound tier 61 modifications go on sale. Almost like I've travelled to the future where everything that's great in my time is commonplace.

Edited by Cooperal

And these fundamental flaws were blown out of proportion due to the lowered morale caused by dead servers, thus with the population issue fixed, morale raises, and these "fundamental" flaws don't seem so "fundamental" anymore. :p

Hmm..... I dunno about that. Whilst the people left are more likely to put up with the game as it is (which is why you don't see people complaining about loading screens et al as much; people have either already quit or accepted them), things like no RvR (for example) don't really get better or worse with a full or empty server, they are still just no RvR either way. :(

But certainly low pops created serious new problems and made some old ones seem worse.

I talked to many players who transferred to my server Jedi Covenant. All of them, no exception, told me that it's totally worth it. For them, it's like playing a new game, a real MMOrpg. The beauty is it's just the beginning.

With Update 1.3, we'll have the lfg tool, the universal GTN and the engine optimization. That means that instead of staying on the fleet to read the chat for lfg/lfm, you could go anywhere else and only have to queue for grouping. I already planned to go to Coruscant (under Senate Tower) or Nar Shaada (Lower Promenade) for my craftings & gtn instead of the Fleet.

That also means that even with hundreds of players on the Fleet or somewhere else, you won't have that much lag and the loading times will be reduced.

I have the feeling that we'll have a great SWTOR summer. :D

Edited by Sammm

Hmm..... I dunno about that. Whilst the people left are more likely to put up with the game as it is (which is why you don't see people complaining about loading screens et al as much; people have either already quit or accepted them), things like no RvR (for example) don't really get better or worse with a full or empty server, they are still just no RvR either way. :(

But certainly low pops created serious new problems and made some old ones seem worse.

Well, no RvR at the moment isn't a flaw, it's a plan. It resulted from a flawed mechanic, yes, but the current state is progression, even though it doesn't seem like it from the viewpoint of a player.

But that's a specific that's better for another thread. From here on out, I expect subs to not only stop bleeding, but to actually increase marginally now, a bit more with 1.3, and then a lot more with 1.4.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

I'm happy that transfers are finally here and people who stuck it out are having fun again.

As for me, I am on Dalborra all along so don't need transfers, but will be leaving the game. I think I'm tired of MMOs in general, it requires too much time investment. I won't even go back to WoW or try GW2. I'll just play Diablo in the mean time.

Well, these aren't transfers as much as they are server merges, let's not let BioWare get away with semantics. My guild basically was gutted, my server which was the same pop as our destination server, and a med-high pop one at that, was gutted. I lost a guild name that I put a lot of time into building up with reputation, our website, etc. I was basically forced to switch my characters over to the new server if I wanted to do anything involving other people. Right now, I'm so disgusted by the whole process that I don't really feel like playing.

In the long run, I think these merges may be worth it. However, I've seen this exact same method used before, by some of the same people, in Warhammer Online. I don't expect SWTOR to die like WAR did, but that may only be because they are starting to publicly say they would embrace a free to play model.

For me, I've got such a bad taste in my mouth due to the way things transpired over the past few days, I'm not sure it's worth it. I cancelled my recurring sub, although I have about 60 days play time left. I'm going to give the game a fair shake in that time, and see if I wind up resubbing.