Sentinel and Marauder Changes

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

We know there has been concern from the Sentinel and Marauder community about the status of their class, and when they might be receiving changes. Sents and Maras will see changes in update 3.1.1. As a secondary note, it is our plan that in some cases we will also put our minor patches (such as 3.1.1) on PTS. This way we can get some additional testing, especially around class changes.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are class changes going to become common place outside of game updates now or is it just a one time deal? It would be great to have more frequent class changes.

P.S Bring back old annihilation that was actually fun to play :rak_03:

Edited by MorgenBlue

Considering that minor updates are on a 3 weeks cycle and that Season 4 starts with 3.1, Eric don't you think it is a bit unfair for marauder players to wait that long before having their class fixed ?

This will be one of the few times they have made class changes that aren't just bug fixes outside of a game update so be glad they aren't making us wait for 3.2.

1 - Remove the new dot from the game.

2 - Make Cauterize/Rupture tick every second.

3 - Bring back the reset proc on Cauterize/Rupture.

I like Force Rend... 2 would be greatly appreciated. 3. No. I like using DST. Though, i think Pulverize should be changed to Smash, so as to fit in with Hemmoraging Smash.

I like Force Rend... 2 would be greatly appreciated. 3. No. I like using DST. Though, i think Pulverize should be changed to Smash, so as to fit in with Hemmoraging Smash.

I hate Force Rend with passion. It feels so forced into the spec. Annihilation never played like DoT spec before 3.0 and now it does and that's a problem IMO. Also bring back the Rupture proc.

Edited by MorgenBlue

Finally a dev answer to all the threads on the forums about Sent/Mara ! Great !

Do you know that just a a short thread telling us that you have read our concerns would have avoided all the fear and the feeling of indifference from you players were expressing in those threads ?

Even if you didn't have any date or real plan on changes to make to the class, like :

"Hi guys, we are aware of your concerns and will keep you informed as soon as we have more informations about the issues of the class you are experiening since the launch of 3.0. We are kind of busy right now, but we will do our best to give you a better experience with the class."

With a thread from you like this, I would have been reassured.

I'm happy that you just gave us some solid delays and informations about what's next for the class though.

But try to learn about older mistakes BW did to deal with us, your community, without losing our faith and trust.

Edited by DarkNecroCrusher

Hey folks,

We know there has been concern from the Sentinel and Marauder community about the status of their class, and when they might be receiving changes. Sents and Maras will see changes in update 3.1.1. As a secondary note, it is our plan that in some cases we will also put our minor patches (such as 3.1.1) on PTS. This way we can get some additional testing, especially around class changes.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Well at least after 6 Weeks we get the information our concerns are not important enough to be part of 3.1.. 3.1. is happening round the 15.2. means we might get a fix in March.....thats 3 Month of a DPS class beeing almost unplayable in any Spec. I hope you have some great changes in there for us. Now that there has been communication it is time to stop ranting, even if I feal the changes to Sents should have been the very first in line. 3-4 Weeks of Season without beeing viable.....puh thats gonna piss of a lot of people.

Learn from you mistakes so, something went wrong hard in the Beta for 3.0.;)

Edited by Atlanis

Annihilation/Watchman = needs more snowball damage, and less... ...dots

Carnage/Combat = needs a big hitter that doesn't share a cd with Blade Storm, to create more variation and less predictability

Concentration = needs less keybinds and more technique

Core = the core class of sentinel/marauder has been corroded so badly, mainly because of spoilt winners that constantly cry about GbtF/UR - this has caused Bioware to make some questionable decisions in which simutaneously players started growing and learning how to actually combat Sent/maras

It's evident in the mastery lists, that you guys are clearly... ...hesistant to actually add unique effects.

3 rebuke passives!

2 GbtF passives in the same level of mastery!

2 Force Charge passives... which are so mineute you could easily merge them, or even slap Close Quarters onto it. And I hold the faith of Stagger being in the Mastery a mis-click or typo in high regard

2 Pacify passives in the same level mastery

1 Ravage passive to save Juggernauts from further dispair

I understand you stressing the class to see how it works with the training wheels on... but don't you think you're being a little bit... TOO careful? It's almost insulting.

The Rebuke passives could've easily been slapped onto one per Spec.

Reflect damage increase to Concentration

1 Focus per hit to combat

Strike, Zealous, Leg slash = reduction to Watchman or whatever...

Close combats could've been global Mastery for sents, which Im sure Concentration and Combat would happily welcome in their stead.

Saber Strength could've been put in Mastery, and dare I say even merged with Dual wield mastery, to return if not at least replace the math around the entire passive pre 3.0

Aegis and Enduring could've been slapped together... tell the Guardian's and Juggs to deal with it tbh.

Come on Bioware, throw us a bone. Preferably one that hasn't been chewed up and spat out by Assassin/Shadows already. Because I'm not even gona comment on the Masteries they have

My suggestions

Watchman:

• Return the rotation to the pre-3.0 form
  • Keep the buffed TST and increase the chance of the proc
  • Change Force Mend to a dot placed by our TST in all the targets it hits
  • Remove the dot spread from smash and put it on TST.

Combat:

• Return PS to a 4.5 second window, otherwise the spec is fine

Concentration:

• Buff Focused burst and Concentrated Slice

Make GbTF cost no health and usable while cc'd

Edited by g_mK

My suggestions

Watchman:

• Return the rotation to the pre-3.0 form
  • Keep the buffed TST and increase the chance of the proc
  • Change Force Mend to a dot placed by our TST in all the targets it hits
  • Remove the dot spread from smash and put it on TST.

Combat:

• Return PS to a 4.5 second window, otherwise the spec is fine

Concentration:

• Buff Focused burst and Concentrated Slice

Make GbTF cost no health and usable while cc'd

I assume by Force Mend you mean Force Rend/Melt, and not the Sage self heal. If you are suggesting turning it into a passive though, that would be against the devs current goals of each spec to have four active abilities. They would have to turn it into a replacement for Vicious slash or something and attach the DoT to some other passive for that to work..

Happy to see much needed changes not happy about the wait, best case thats a month away.

What changes? To say there will be changes means there must be some idea about what needs changing. Or is this superficial and when it comes down to it a month from now we will see one change to one skill for one spec?

Well at least this is an acknowledgement that change is needed and is coming...lets hope change, which got us into this state, is going to be positive this time.

We NEED unremitting, like what vigi guardians get for FREE as a passive at lvl 44. That is 4 seconds of cc immunity plus damage reduction for 4 seconds after every force leap. This one SINGLE free passive is, I believe, responsible for quite a bit of the gap in numbers that guards/jugs are showing over us in pvp. You also need to SERIOUSLY take a look at the cc/escapes - just their impact and sheer number - that melee classes have to deal with...of course an unremitting like skill will OBE some of the cc palooza factor. OR we need something like sturdiness, a utility Shadows have, that makes their 12 second 2 min dcd, deflection, provide cc immunity. Our main dcd, saber ward, is also only 12 seconds, but with a THREE MINUTE CD, and NO cc immunity option. To be fair it also does reduce some damage, but CC immunity is the issue of the day in this cc festival you have created.

Also, a 3 sec precision window is laughable.

For Watchman, a more efficient way to apply and spread the dots would be nice...Serenity Shadow can apply one dot from 30m, one dot from 10m, and spread the dots from 30m away. DOING THE SAME DAMAGE with the BENEFIT OF RANGE. And without having to resource build, which takes MORE TIME on target, in melee range. See the cc-a-palooza issue above.

So, again, lets see some POSITIVE change, that bring us in line with the goodness you have dished out for vigi guards, serenity shadows, and Tactics VGs. I know EAWare has a sordid past with sents, so pretend we are another class if you need to, in order to not nerf us again...and again....and again. Thx.

Edited by Dyvim

Hey folks,

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Thanks for the info Eric! Always great to see yellow text in your main AC's forums :)! I appreciate your time in tracking down this specific issue and posting an update for us!

Do you have anything to share in regard to how the changes will take place? Will there be any back and forth or will it be here are your changes now go test. Are you looking for community feedback in advance of changes or do you already have an what you're going to do set? Thanks!

This is a joke right? I get 0 deaths in wz's as combat sent, because I choose targets carefully, burst them down and disappear like smoke. What the hell's wrong with sents atm? They're fine.

I just am concerned that BW will over-buff it, leading to imbalance.

Edited by Ycoga

This is a joke right? I get 0 deaths in wz's as combat sent, because I choose targets carefully, burst them down and disappear like smoke. What the hell's wrong with sents atm? They're fine.

I just am concerned that BW will over-buff it, leading to imbalance.

Warzone is another thing, Solo and Team Rank especially is a different story my friend.*

They didn't over buff mercenary at the end. they where suppose to be FoTM but yeah. At list they going to do something with marauders now we just have to wait and sit back and see what they are planing, hopefully something that can save us a bit!

If we don't get some sort of mobility buff atlist fix the #Roots and Knockback spree from Inquisitor classes. facing multiple of them and get no penalty for getting rooted in Full resolve is getting out of hand. *

Edited by KalElc

Hey folks,

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Thanks Eric! It is unfortunate that it will happen after S4 starts, but I understand that you guys have a lot of things going on. I definitely appreciate the communication! :)

For PvP we need our crippling throw back! Horrible that our root was taken away!

In other terms since I mostly play carnage, love it! Keep the buff to massacre and source cloak and then we should be in a good spot. The pre 3.0 version was way better than it is now.

I can honestly say, I have shelved my sent/Mara as a result of the changes!

Sounds like good news..

Favourite class in the game for me is Anni Mara but i hate Force Rend, looks ugly and just takes the beauty out of the rotation.

The class was pre 3.0 a joy to play..so smooth through transitions not matter what the situation.

With the combat lag and Force Rend its become depressing.

Carnage does need that Gore window back to 4.5secs..the 3 second window is just not enough..(certainly not with the recent lag)

The one thing I would recommend is please, for the love of God, DO NOT listen to the suggestions made on these forums. Most of the player base is awful at this game and nothing they say should be taken seriously. On the flip side, Aluvien is probably the most knowledgeable sentinel in the game, and you should listen to everything he says.

Hey folks,

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Thanks for the update Eric. As other posters in this thread may have stated already, please continue to make posts like these in the future for other classes that may be under performing. A very quick statement that shows that you guys acknowledge a problem can really help calm people down. Even if the change is a little ways off, knowing a little bit about you guys' plan is much more comforting than being left totally in the dark.