Should We Just Join the Private Discord Channel?

Jdast

I agree the forums are under used.

It's because they have such a toxic bad rep. Ask around, most will tell you it's a cesspool of drama they either avoid or like to read with "popcorn".

And to keep it on topic with the "discord", I think it's just bad precedent for Chris to be chatting in one discord, especially on PvP stuff, but no other dev will respond about other topics, it's a locked discord- not moderated by BW so yes it's a private clique- think bunch of frat boys. They ban at the drop of a hat for STUPID stuff. lol But won't ban some...

Just a bad idea.

An official Discord for this would be great because they could get so many BOTS to block the crap & get muted/kicked...be easier there than here. lol

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you are proposing that they shut down the swtor reddit and swtor discord as they are both unofficial and privately moderated with devs participating in discussions?

keeping it classy forum warriors, surprised devs don't comment as much :jawa_angel:

well the swtor reddit is mostly used by players, i don't think i've seen a dev post there once. If the swtor discord is used similarly, by and for players fine.

I protest it becoming a club for better people to get prioritized attention, like it seemingly has.

last post by Mr Schmidt here: 29 Jan.

last post by Mr Schmidt in your discord: Today.

If a dev can take time out of his weekend in the aftermath of a near natural disaster that left millions without power and that's not endorsing the subset of players he's replying to as a club for better people, i don't know what is.

And to keep it on topic with the "discord", I think it's just bad precedent for Chris to be chatting in one discord, especially on PvP stuff, but no other dev will respond about other topics, it's a locked discord- not moderated by BW so yes it's a private clique- think bunch of frat boys.

this basically. Naturally the leader of the frat club doesn't want his better people status removed.

Edited by KendraP

Since anyone can join the server, is it by definition private? I don't see the issue here as long as it's not being used for official communication. But then, I say that as someone running a couple of unofficial Discord servers so I admit that I'm biased (even though we don't see the same sort of participation in either).

I maintain that SWTOR really should have an official server. Failing that, allow preferred users at least to use the forums.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

Since anyone can join the server, is it by definition private? I don't see the issue here as long as it's not being used for official communication. But then, I say that as someone running a couple of unofficial Discord servers so I admit that I'm biased (even though we don't see the same sort of participation in either).

I maintain that SWTOR really should have an official server. Failing that, allow preferred users at least to use the forums.

i mean take from it what you will, in my case what I mean by "private" is "not officially endorsed by BW/"

As for official, his name on the server in question is "biochris". If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, perhaps it's a duck. If he was truly interested in being unofficial, as someone else mentioned, he'd take measures to ensure his status as a BW employee was unknown. With a name like "biochris", i think the assumption that he has inside information is a fair (indeed, obvious) one.

As for official, his name on the server in question is "biochris". If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, perhaps it's a duck. If he was truly interested in being unofficial, as someone else mentioned, he'd take measures to ensure his status as a BW employee was unknown. With a name like "biochris", i think the assumption that he has inside information is a fair (indeed, obvious) one.

inb4 "Biochris" isn't the real person and it's just Dasty in a human suit. :D

Anyway I see that this really motivated peoples to speak, somebody definitely knows how to spark interest in peoples mind.

Somebody mentionned these forums as being toxic, while I agree with the sentiment, I also believe that they became like that because of the lack of dev communication. Let's rewind back to when Keith was first introducing himself and his roadmaps, oh boy, peoples were so happy, and we had far less angry chads running around.

Peoples are here arguing on why "your idea is dumb and has nothing to do in this game because I see it like that" or simply "you don't know anything about this game, I know better than anyone".

But that sort of talk would disappear real fast if you had here somebody talking just like Chris does on said discords. Somebody to recall others "hey man, so this game is not intended only for solo/casual audience", or whatever vision they have for the game.

Again, peoples will not get mad because of the devs decisions. Peoples will get mad because nothing is said about the current state of the game.

I do recall that one time they tried to explain about class balance however, and the issue was more that... Well their explication didn't reflect the reality of what was happening (even now, when you back to that post, it makes little to no sense seeing the current balance).

Peoples got mad about it because it felt like a marketed-post placed here to make whiners stop complaining. Not a real post to establish communication. And it's more than certainly why BW is afraid to talk here again.

Somebody mentionned these forums as being toxic, while I agree with the sentiment,

We must be operating with different dictionaries. The forums are far from toxic in my experience. Fleet Chat, Ranked PvP Chat, and so on can be toxic but the forums?!

We must be operating with different dictionaries. The forums are far from toxic in my experience. Fleet Chat, Ranked PvP Chat, and so on can be toxic but the forums?!

Oh, I'm fully aware that there are far more toxic means of communications around this game, but I'm especially comparing these forums to other MMOs forums right now. It doesn't take long to scroll through the PvP forums to notice peoples arguing over nonsense and debating about who knows best about something they don't understand. Or the recent talks about Conquest and how it stirred up Dev Tracker quite a bit with all the mentions of posts removal.

Even just whenever you have a new dev post regarding balance changes, with all the players being angry "but you guys don't know what you're doing" without developping much or contributing to a discussion in any interesting manner. That's for me what I'd call an environment more toxic than healthy.

Rest assured however that I fully know how the rest of the game is, and am certainly not comparing the forums to these parts. ;) I am just saying that while peoples here don't often behave as adults, it isn't a reality that is doomed to stay permanent. If other games can manage it, why not this one is just all that I'm saying.

Edited by supertimtaf

I don't think these forums are particularly toxic - they seem like average game forums to me in this regard.

The fact that we get almost no communication from Bioware here in the official forums, but there are private forums, where designers participate in a much greater volume looks to me like there are two classes of players: the chosen ones (ranked PVPers; raid guilds of the devs) and the plebs, who get some useless fluff posts.

If he is posting as much on Discord as mentioned in an unofficial capacity and almost nothing here in official then yes there is clearly an issue.

If he's going to engage with players on discord...so be it..Don't care. But he should be also engaging with players here on the official forums to something close to the same level. There is already people who feel that the developers are ignoring feedback on PTS etc, but then are reported engaging with players privately and taking feedback privately ..that's just bad. It has the appearance of showing favoritism to private groups/guilds/players. Even if it is not.

I don't think these forums are particularly toxic - they seem like average game forums to me in this regard.

The fact that we get almost no communication from Bioware here in the official forums, but there are private forums, where designers participate in a much greater volume looks to me like there are two classes of players: the chosen ones (ranked PVPers; raid guilds of the devs) and the plebs, who get some useless fluff posts.

Indeed. It's not "toxicity" that drove me away from these forums. It's the PC/snowflakery that's the problem. People can be toxic, but don't call them a doofus or (gasp!) an idiot, because that will get you a 'warning' and/or get your post removed.

Perhaps the devs post on Discord because there they can say what they want. I'll have to check it out.

Also, I've been playing (f2p) FF XIV lately, and the forums over there are just the same. The same complaints, the same discussions, the same toxicity. Just substitute Squarenix and FFXIV for BW and SWTOR. (I haven't visited enough, nor posted, to know how PC they are.)

Btw, FF XIV is a lot like GW2 in it's style and gameplay. Unfortunately, I've already grown a bit tired of it, and it can't replace SWTOR. 😏

Edited by JediQuaker

Indeed. It's not "toxicity" that drove me away from these forums. It's the PC/snowflakery that's the problem. People can be toxic, but don't call them a doofus or (gasp!) an idiot, because that will get you a 'warning' and/or get your post removed.

Perhaps the devs post on Discord because there they can say what they want. I'll have to check it out.

Also, I've been playing (f2p) FF XIV lately, and the forums over there are just the same. The same complaints, the same discussions, the same toxicity. Just substitute Squarenix and FFXIV for BW and SWTOR. (I haven't visited enough, nor posted, to know how PC they are.)

Btw, FF XIV is a lot like GW2 in it's style and gameplay. Unfortunately, I've already grown a bit tired of it, and it can't replace SWTOR. 😏

You can do the same thing with any game's forums, including GW 2. There's a reason for that, though, and it's not hard to figure out once you've hit a few forums, we're all the same group of people. Not exactly the same people, although that does happen as well, but the same subset of people. But scanning the first few pages of any random MMO will come up with the same set of threads:

The game's too easy

The game's too hard

The devs don't communicate, it's much better in Y, until you read Y's forum, and find it's actually much better in X

While I won't try to justify ignoring these forums for a private discord server, I can understand why devs don't post much on their respective forums. Quotes will be taken out of context, making it appear that something was said that wasn't. BW had an employee that had to get off of social media completely for stating a preference for a more story driven experience with little to no combat, note that there was no intention to build that into whichever game, but she was bombarded with hate, and death threats. The earliest form of "Cancel Culture".

I very much appreciate that Chris Schmidt interacts with the community in the various Discords in which Chris participates. That level of communication and interacting is something that this game sorely lacks. That said, I do think that there is information that makes its way into Discord channels that does not but absolutely should be posted to these forums. But if we are being honest about Chris' interaction with the community through Discord then we have to acknowledge that Chris chooses to do that, that not all of what Chris posts to Discord is relevant to the game, that much of Chris' interaction is collecting data about bugs or eliciting information, and some of it is information that the community should try harder to document for themselves.

Of the 255 posts that Chris has made to the Theorycrafters Discord how many of those are just Chris talking to other players? There were a number of posts recently where they were talking about Star Wars Lego sets and comparing desk setups. One of Chris' posts from earlier this year gave details about fall damage. Specifically, 0-9.99 m is no damage, 10-39.99 m is scaled damage, and 40 m is terminal. Should that necessarily be made into a post on these forums or could the community collect information like that for a wiki? Approximately half of Chris' posts are in the #pvp-related channel (129 of 255 posts). Several of those have had to do with collecting data about bugs such as the phase walk issue. Chris also makes a number of posts telling people to report things either as bugs or to the PVP police when they have evidence of cheating.

Most of what Chris posts to Theorycrafters does not need a post on these forums, most of Chris' posts are not Chris revealing information to the people in that Discord, but there are times when something Chris posts should be brought over here. When the new 300 augments were introduced Chris, briefly and in a round about way, went into their reasoning for adding them. That kind of interaction is what these forums lack. Someone should have posted the same thing to these forums, explaining why they did what they did, because even if the community disagreed, as people in Theorycrafters disagreed, we would at least understand their motivation (even if some would say they were not being truthful) instead of what we got, which was a lot arguing back and fourth in a vacuum devoid of any interaction with the dev team.

I think some of us had hopes that JackieKo would bring a new level of communication to the forums. The past couple weeks notwithstanding, there has been more communication on bugs, they are at least acknowledging some bug reports now and, occasionally, we get an update that something is being fixed, but there is still far too much that remains unacknowledged and unaddressed. They continue to display a disregard for community feedback and input by posting feedback posts and then routinely either never posting again or posting a generic "we are monitoring" post.

The Conquest Crafting Changes thread is a prime example. That thread ended up with 252 posts (after being pruned) with a grand total of three yellow posts: Chris' OP, JackieKo saying they were monitoring for TOS violations, and finally JackieKo slamming shut the door. Not a single response to questions, concerns, nothing about why they thought these changes were necessary instead of other changes, and no indication that they took any of the response into consideration. A comment about motivations was posted to Theorycrafters by Chris, which just quoted the OP in that thread, so no real reveal there.

The truth is, that is how it usually goes with Theorycrafters. There is not much that is being revealed in there, no big secrets or insider information, and Chris posting there is not taking away information from these forums because it is very rare that something does get posted there that has not already been said here. It does happen, and that information should make its way here, but not to a degree that Chris participating in Theorycrafters is taking away from these forums, and certainly not enough to support the premise of the thread.

The truth is is that BW is bad at communication, but Chris participating in community run Discords is not taking away from these forums. No one can honestly say that if Chris excused themself for all Discords that they would automatically start posting to these forums more. It is BW that needs to do better. They need a functional community management team that actually interacts with the community rather than just making a number of "we will get back to you" posts that almost never receive a follow up. Why post feedback threads eliciting feedback to then just allow them to sit without a single follow up post, or worse just close the thread after they neglected to do any follow up at all?

BW is bad at communication. People are more than welcome to join the Discord, but doing so is not going to give them an inside channel to the dev team, and since Chris mostly posts in the PVP channel not much of what is posted there is going to be relevant to the majority of players.

Theorycrafters Discord

https://discord.gg/jqWyBcw

While I wholeheartedly agree with some of the previous posters that official information and announcements should also be made here on the forums through a dev post, nothing of what BioChris has posted is anything similar to such unless you really stretch your imagination. Him developing on his own thoughts about the new 300 was simply an extension of the already long post BioChris made on the forums, if you compare his discord comments with the thread he says nothing new or discloses information that isn't mentioned on the forums already. My understanding based on BioChris own comments is that he posts his personal comments on the different discords he is in and then here on the official forum its far more "official announcements" where he speaks for the entire staff/company/game.

BioChris is as far as I remember the first dev to be part of community discussions in this way, prior to this we had several developers for endgame pve and pvp on small private guild/raid/ranked discords where the top players would discuss class changes, operation mechanics, ability interactions and similar, is that really what you want to go back to? I don't

Game forums are toxic and negative by nature, people come here to complain about the game or features they think is missing, of 1000 players 990 won't even use the forums and the 10 that do does it for a reason, mostly to complain, that's just how customer service generally functions. The different discords however are mostly just a social thing, some have specific purposes like the theorycrafting one, the nightmare pve one or the different ranked pvp discords, but overall its just players talking about the game in a far more positive manner than what you see here on the forums

If I were a game dev it's pretty clear through which of those two alternatives I would prefer to communicate with players, in a more casual manner.

Gatekeeping KappaChris and where he should be allowed to communicate with players is terrible, and I don't see this thread having any positive impact on the developer and player communication, trying to threaten Bioware by refusing to use the forums until the devs stop using discord to communicate players? In these times it would be far better to focus on things that would help improve the lack of communication, than trying to limit it

Edited by RikuvonDrake

People are more than welcome to join the Discord, but doing so is not going to give them an inside channel to the dev team, and since Chris mostly posts in the PVP channel not much of what is posted there is going to be relevant to the majority of players.

Theorycrafters Discord

https://discord.gg/jqWyBcw

Good post. I slightly disagree / would have a different take for a couple reasons (hey, at least it proves we're not the same person :rak_01:).

#1) By posting so prolifically there, even on things like Lego Star Wars, people know he is at least reading those other game-related remarks. We have absolutely no evidence that, for example, after his declaration about the Conquest changes, that he did anything but just upped and disappeared.

He could have easily posted later in the thread, "We hear many of the concerns you have raised. Please keep in mind we will continue to evaluate these new changes. For now, however, we feel comfortable that the changes strike the right balance. As always, we'll monitor the situation and will adjust accordingly if needed."

Forgive the cliche, but showing up is half the battle.

#2) There is a reason I quoted your PvP comment. As has been remarked in this thread, and by you, that is where he spends the bulk of his time on substance.

Why does that matter to me? Because he is willing to get into the minutiae of Phase Walk, what constitutes stuns, etc. but ignores a whole range of issues I consider much more important.

To wit: Last summer Chris and Eric acknowledged on some livestream / podcast that they recognized Crafting needed work. What has been said or done? Nothing.

At some point, it shows where his head is at, or at least creates the perception about what he cares about. One can accuse of me of being a special snowflake who is pushing my own agenda. Guilty as charged. When I see BW talking PvP Phase Walk bugs while ignoring glaring issues in the game then, yes, I have concerns that their development priorities are skewed.

But, yes, I am absolutely pushing my agenda b/c the vast majority of gear changes in the last year have focused exclusively on a niche set of players. Look, BW is a business and they can choose their target demographic of players they want to appeal to in order to make money. All I can do is express concern that I'm outside that demographic. And, if unsatisfied, move on. At least I gave it the ole college try as they say.

But in no way am I suggesting Chris not post there. I'm merely suggesting that it might not hurt to post here a bit too on long and outstanding issues BW acknowledges on their own. As some have intimated in this thread, and to borrow from Sherlock Holmes, sometimes it's the dog that doesn't bark.

Ultimately, Chris should be flattered. The greatest concern BW (and any company) faces is when people stop caring enough to post.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Why does that matter to me? Because he is willing to get into the minutiae of Phase Walk, what constitutes stuns, etc.. There are, however, a whole range of issues that I consider much more important that have not been addressed, which the devs themselves acknowledge.

To wit: Last summer Chris and Eric acknowledged on some livestream / podcast that they recognized Crafting needed work. What has been said or done? Nothing.

Most likely its just a resource issue, if they could have people working on all aspects of the game at all time and push out new things for each type of gameplay every week they would, but they can't cause not enough money to support that many developers. So it becomes an issue of what you prioritize, how many active subscribers and cartel coin buyers face issues with desync in pvp or other issues that make their gameplay negative compared to the active subscribers and cartel coin buyers who have issues with crafting?

Evidently, PvP is by far the more relevant aspect of the game to work on compared to crafting and that's cause it impacts more paying customers, if they stop working on reducing the desync and adjusting ability bugs they would lose far more revenue than if they did some minor changes to the crafting system(they might still be working on crafting, just it has fewer resources allocated to it and thus takes more time).

In the end, it's all rational and logical decisions based on data, pretty simple stuff in theory

Edited by RikuvonDrake

but there are times when something Chris posts should be brought over here. When the new 300 augments were introduced Chris, briefly and in a round about way, went into their reasoning for adding them. That kind of interaction is what these forums lack. Someone should have posted the same thing to these forums, explaining why they did what they did, because even if the community disagreed, as people in Theorycrafters disagreed, we would at least understand their motivation (even if some would say they were not being truthful) instead of what we got, which was a lot arguing back and fourth in a vacuum devoid of any interaction with the dev team.

I think that this is precisely why they do not post on the forums. Again, we can go back to the big yellow post we received somewhere in 5.0 where Bioware stated what their goals were with class balance (mainly, the difference of damage between ranged/melee and burst/dot). It took less than 1 day for peoples to say "well even with this mentality, the current balance DOES NOT reflect what you are saying". Or even "So you are just ignoring the issues regarding cooldowns when balancing ?" which... Well it was pretty much it.

No matter what "vision" they have about the game, the issue is that the state of this game is pretty far from any idea or objectives Bioware has. I mean... Defense is still a useless stat, some class still have no set bonuses worthwhile, the credit inflation is not solved by any amplifier tax they're trying to implement, they're still going about the fact that gear = content, most of the Onslaught story cutscenes are still having issues with the french translation not displaying at times... Or even older ones, like how having a GCD on Phantom Stride and Holotraverse did not solve the issue of getting yeeted into the skybox...

I'm not against them posting about whatever idea they have, or whatever purpose they give to new features/content. On the contrary, I welcome this if they're able to take player feedback in consideration before it's too late.

But the issue is that most of the time, whatever they say is pretty far from reality. And imo that's exactly why they are not talking much on the official forums. Because that would be leaving traces of the many attempts they had in changing the game to, as usual, fail to meet even their own objectives.

While I wholeheartedly agree with some of the previous posters that official information and announcements should also be made here on the forums through a dev post, nothing of what BioChris has posted is anything similar to such unless you really stretch your imagination. Him developing on his own thoughts about the new 300 was simply an extension of the already long post BioChris made on the forums, if you compare his discord comments with the thread he says nothing new or discloses information that isn't mentioned on the forums already. My understanding based on BioChris own comments is that he posts his personal comments on the different discords he is in and then here on the official forum its far more "official announcements" where he speaks for the entire staff/company/game.

BioChris is as far as I remember the first dev to be part of community discussions in this way, prior to this we had several developers for endgame pve and pvp on small private guild/raid/ranked discords where the top players would discuss class changes, operation mechanics, ability interactions and similar, is that really what you want to go back to? I don't

Game forums are toxic and negative by nature, people come here to complain about the game or features they think is missing, of 1000 players 990 won't even use the forums and the 10 that do does it for a reason, mostly to complain, that's just how customer service generally functions. The different discords however are mostly just a social thing, some have specific purposes like the theorycrafting one, the nightmare pve one or the different ranked pvp discords, but overall its just players talking about the game in a far more positive manner than what you see here on the forums

If I were a game dev it's pretty clear through which of those two alternatives I would prefer to communicate with players, in a more casual manner.

Gatekeeping KappaChris and where he should be allowed to communicate with players is terrible, and I don't see this thread having any positive impact on the developer and player communication, trying to threaten Bioware by refusing to use the forums until the devs stop using discord to communicate players? In these times it would be far better to focus on things that would help improve the lack of communication, than trying to limit it

How about trying to get them to post 1/10th as much here as there? You don't think a 100% increase in activity from devs on this forum would constitute more communication?

Evidently, PvP is by far the more relevant aspect of the game to work on compared to crafting and that's cause it impacts more paying customers

And what evidence do you have to prove that, exactly?

Just to make my point clear: PvP in SWTOR is NOT more relevant just because the PVP community (in this case the ranked community, i.e. the same 20 people) is screaming the loudest. In fact, PvPers in SWTOR are such a minority that I really wonder why we get PvP changes all the time at all. If this would be an MMO like WoW then I would absolutely understand when most of BW's attention goes to PvP because there they have to deal with millions of players playing Arenas/BGs all day. But it's not WoW. Its SWTOR which has a PvP base of like... 300-500? And even less playing ranked. It therefor pretty baffles me that you think PvP in SWTOR is especially relevant, which is not the case. Not necessarily because PvP in SWTOR is bad, but because SWTOR does not even have half of WoW's playerbase, and I'm pretty sure people that play SWTOR are mostly doing other things like crafting/conquest/story/PvE instead of PvP.

Edited by Jesseriah

Not necessarily because PvP in SWTOR is bad, but because SWTOR does not even have half of WoW's playerbase, and I'm pretty sure people that play SWTOR are mostly doing other things like crafting/conquest/story/PvE instead of PvP.

I like this post, because you probably didn't go around the PvP forums recently. Conquest changes around crafting took two weeks of whining to be implemented. Matchmaking and PvP daily rewards are still not even acknowledged by the devs. I think that nobody on this game has priority on one thing over the other. The only thing where Bioware is more than active is cartel market-related bugs. I doubt that you can say that players are interested in one topic above the other. The forums don't help much, as it is hard to see how many players read your post (again, upvote feature, anyone ?).

However, what you're saying does imply that there is work to do around a lot of subjects in this game, and not "just one" more important than another. On that I'm sure we agree. ;)

Back to what Dasty was asking about / dealing with:

** The "private discord channel" ... good or bad idea? How that affects communication.

** Communication in general from the team.

** Should there be a discord channel "official site" ?

Dasty: If I'm wrong let me know.

** Private channel: well ... frankly it is private. We might debate the wisdom of that decision. But I frankly hold no ill will to anyone who is a staff member of BW playing the game and having their own private channel. There's tons of stuff that could be debated over this issue (being fair to everyone being one of them) ... toxic discussions from others in their private channel (being another one ) . In any case. The private channel is just that ... private!

** Communication from the team in general. This is a very difficult and often touchy subject. We need more "positive input" from the team if that is their desire. If I had to guess .. one of the more difficult areas is probably centered around the PTS and the "feed back" that is returned to the team and how that is "handled".

This aspect of the discussion is unquestionably a part of what Dasty has discussed even in this thread. WHY ? because people who play this game are interested in communicating with the team on anyone of dozens of different topics.

Unfortunately there is often a great deal of silence in this area ... So much so that it is incredible!

More communication is appreciated !!

** An official Discord ?? Frankly that's not for me to say.

What I do believe is that there is a definite need for a more positive means of finding out information / communication with the team on a variety of subjects. Here is one of Dasty's point he made later on:

Agreed. I'm just trying to open the gates so that more players have access into his thoughts.

Surely, Riku, you're not suggesting some players should not have access into the thinking and priorities of the development team.

My sole goal here is to increase transparency. Win for all!

<<sips martini>>

Dasty

Conclusion: Many of us would LOVE to have access to this information Dasty ... but perhaps the forums could be better utilized. "Discord Channels" are usually live. Something could easily be taken out of context and misused. I would hate to see that happen. The "live streaming" that the team does works well.

I understand the need for additional communication and the many different facets of todays technology. While I'm not entirely opposed to what you are suggesting or have presented ... IMO it needs to be tempered with a degree of practicality as well.

I hope this makes better sense !!

Personally I think the forums should be the main base of operations, this should be the one stop shop for all information. But personal that could be because I don't like discord, to me it's just a jumble of information, not sorted neatly, hard to find what you want, especially when there are loads of posts in a thread, etc. But that's just me :)

Personally I think the forums should be the main base of operations, this should be the one stop shop for all information. But personal that could be because I don't like discord, to me it's just a jumble of information, not sorted neatly, hard to find what you want, especially when there are loads of posts in a thread, etc. But that's just me :)

Agreed ... or at the very least a place where we can get an accurate recap of those other activities so as to minimize misunderstanding as much as possible.

IMO they do a good job of providing the "recap" from time to time ... but there is so much more that is missing.

We know that there are members of the team (particularly forum mods) who are reading everything ... BUT "communication " is a two way street. And IMO this is something we could all do better at (myself included).

Agreed. I'm just trying to open the gates so that more players have access into his thoughts.

Surely, Riku, you're not suggesting some players should not have access into the thinking and priorities of the development team.

My sole goal here is to increase transparency. Win for all!

<<sips martini>>

Dasty

I agree with Dasty, except about the martini. I'll have Merlot instead. If BW employees want to go incognito on non-official Discord channels, more power to them. If BW employees want to present themselves as BW employees, I think their comments should be available for all to see on the official forums.

• Dev Post

Hi folks,

I wanted to pop in here and clarify a few things that have been brought up.

First and foremost, the official forums (where you are now) are the official platform for news and announcements, and are accessible to all subscribers.

Second, it is true I am present in many Discord communities. I do so primarily so I can get a feel for what these different communities are chatting about in an effort to gather as many points of view as possible. I do this in tandem with other platforms where players self-organize that I’m aware of.

I do these things in my personal capacity, however if I interact at all I make it clear who I am in my official capacity for transparency. Since Discord seems to be the primary platform brought up here, I want to address some points..

I started joining Discord communities related to the game when I returned to the team over a year ago. Discord is interesting in that it provides real-time communication via text chat, which is vastly different than the turn-based dialogue offered by forums. I use Discord interactions in several ways:

• General human chatting
  • Discussing hobbies
  • Gathering additional info on reported bugs or exploits
  • Guiding folks to official channels who ask where/how to report something
  • Guiding folks to official channels when asked about any information that’s unannounced (dates/future plans, etc)
  • Discussing game design in general

When discussing longer-term plans or philosophies, I use the official forums. And I refer folks back to these posts if it comes up in other communication channels. Generally, I very much enjoy spending some of my personal time on Discord as long as the interactions are healthy. As a reminder, these servers are player-run and non-official, so the rules of each community are determined by those who own the servers.

Hopefully this sheds some light on how I interact with various communities in various capacities. But it’s worth re-stating again that official information will only come from official sources, including the forums here.

Thanks,

-Chris