Bound item from Cartel Market

Daelus_Wester

Hi, I bought a few items from other players on the GTN. I was not thinking about it and bought the items (All Cartel Market Items) with the wrong character, and now it is bound to a character that cannot use them. I was told wait 2 days then try to mail the stuff but here it is 2 days later and it is still bound. Is there a way to unlock something on your legacy to share items between characters? Its not a MAJOR deal but it is really annoying. Is there anything I can do or should I just trash the stuff and buy something else?

Havent used it, it is still in the box it came in. Problem is I bought it for my marauder with my Sorcerer. Was a bone head thing to do, but now I have a suit of heavy armor I cannot equip. It looks cool though. Maybe I should take the items out of the box?

When you say they are sitting the box, are you referring to the Cartel Window for unclaimed items? In other words, you have not transferred them to your inventory?

If this is the case, claim the items into your inventory on the "wrong" character that purchased them. Then the "bound" timer of 36 hours will start. Once that timer wears off, you can then transfer them to the other character either through mail or legacy storage.

No, I bought the armor set from the GTN, not cartel market. It is a cartel item however. I should have transferred the credits to my warrior then bought the stuff on that character. Live and learn, i think its bound forever. It is in a box, in my inventory, and says "this item contains an entire suit of armor" and "bound."

No, I bought the armor set from the GTN, not cartel market. It is a cartel item however. I should have transferred the credits to my warrior then bought the stuff on that character. Live and learn, i think its bound forever. It is in a box, in my inventory, and says "this item contains an entire suit of armor" and "bound."

If it's bound you should be able to claim a copy in collection with some cc's. Idk about credits, but if you never opened it it shouldn't be bound and should be able to mail it

Interesting. If it was a "Bind on Pickup" item as you seem to be describing, then the seller of the item should not have been able to put it up for sale... because as soon as it went into their inventory it would have bound to them.

A "Bind on Equip" item will/should only bind to the character on which it is used, when it is actually equipped (or in the case of crystals, mods, barrels, hilts, enhacements, when it is inserted into an item that can hold it). So as long as you have not equipped the item after buying it, then it should not be bound.

The third major group of items fall into a "Binds to Legacy" group, where the item can be worn/used by any character in your Legacy as long as they have the appropriate skills or certifications.

At this point, we are speculating widely, and it would help to know which specific item(s) we are actually talking about, so that we can look them up in the swtor databases and online resources.

A couple of other clarifying questions would also be useful.

When you bought the item, was it an armor crate with a set of armor inside it, which you have subsequently unpacked? Or did you buy the pieces/items directly?

If you hover your mouse over the item(s), just below the name of them in the tooltip will be the text about the item's binding - it sounds as though it will say "Bound", but can you confirm that, or whether it says "Binds on Equip" or "Binds to Legacy"?

Something that may also affect the situation is the exact text that comes up in red on the screen when you try to equip the item. For example, if you try and equip heavy armor on your Smuggler, the system will not allow you to do that because the Smuggler classes can only use Medium armor, whereas the Jedi might use Heavy, Medium or Light depending on their class specifics. If that is the case, then the armor will not equip, just as if it was bound. However that should not stop you transferring the armor to another character, so I am probably barking up the wrong tree there... but trying to chase down all possibilities.

you should pick up all the armor item from the box first, then the timer will start, after timer run out, the item will not bound.

if the item still in the box it will always bound because you already open it. you need to actually pick up the item from the box first.

Edited by leofilka

OK, so you opened the box to look inside? That permanently binds the box to the character who looked inside. The items remain in an indeterminate state while they are in the box, but you can't do anything except take them out of the box or leave them there.

When you take them out of the box, they become timer-bound to the character who takes them out for 36 hours, if you just take them out and don't do anything with them except leave them in your inventory. At the end of the 36 hours, the items will become unbound, and can be transferred to the other character by whatever method you like. If, during the 36 hours (or after), you equip the items on the character, OR put them into an Outfit Designer slot, OR have a companion wear them, they will bind permanently to the character who does it. (But if you bind the whole set, it activates it in Collections for that character, and can be unlocked for all your characters - on all servers - by spending a one-time amount of CC, up to 400 for gold/platinum rarity gear.)

.OR.

Wait until 4.7 comes out (on Tuesday 9 August, next week) and open the box again. This will use the new interface, and solve the problem that way. (Open the box, the stuff goes into the Item Stash, and you can extract it from the stash on the "right" character.)